Chinese Democracy review posted - "new classic album"

The whole line up of AC/DC and Pink Floyd din't change, If Brain Johnson releases an album without Angus, Malcom (I know he is sick now) and Cliff Williams, then it will be totally alright to call it an AC/DC Album?

No, but its different. Axl founded GNR. It's his creation.

Yeah and Tracii Guns composed the riff and solo of SCOM and who the hell needs Duff Mckagan when you have the multi talented Ole Biech

Wo needs Axl when you have Scott Weiland. Is Velvet Revolver more GN'R than current GN'R ?

It was shit when it came out. It's still shit. It will always be shit.

People need to accept that. It's a steaming turd and because of that very few people outside this forum care or even know about.

And because it's such a flop some hipster critics here and there want to be different so badly that they write a positive review about it now.

Same could be said about Estranged too. It must be a crappy song because not enough people like it or even know about it. Fact is that songs like Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, Better, Street Of Dreams and This I Love are just as popular as Estranged is, for example on Spotify. So if you're judging the quality of CD because of it's popularity, then you should do the same with Estranged too.

The whole line up of AC/DC and Pink Floyd din't change, If Brain Johnson releases an album without Angus, Malcom (I know he is sick now) and Cliff Williams, then it will be totally alright to call it an AC/DC Album?

Yeah and Tracii Guns composed the riff and solo of SCOM and who the hell needs Duff Mckagan when you have the multi talented Ole Biech

Obviously Duff is more important than Ole in the historical persepctive, but Axl was always the indispensible cog. Others have contributed to varying degrees, but GNR was and is Axl's baby. That's why its hard for him to do things outside GNR. He is so GNR that he can't not be GNR.

Absolute bollocks. It is no more or less 'Axl's baby' than it was 'Slash's', 'Izzy's' or 'Duff's'. I would agree with you if GN'R were a Motorhead or NIN's set-up by which one member dictates the nature of the band, but this was never the case with GN'R. The music they made was so democratic. Izzy's songwriting and Slash's guitar were at least, as important to Guns as Axl's lyrics and voice. There are songs for instance which Izzy brought into the band which Axl had no input on.

Obviously Duff is more important than Ole in the historical persepctive, but Axl was always the indispensible cog. Others have contributed to varying degrees, but GNR was and is Axl's baby. That's why its hard for him to do things outside GNR. He is so GNR that he can't not be GNR.

Absolute bollocks. It is no more or less 'Axl's baby' than it was 'Slash's', 'Izzy's' or 'Duff's'. I would agree with you if GN'R were a Motorhead or NIN's set-up by which one member dictates the nature of the band, but this was never the case with GN'R. The music they made was so democratic. Izzy's songwriting and Slash's guitar were at least, as important to Guns as Axl's lyrics and voice. There are songs for instance which Izzy brought into the band which Axl had no input on.

Axl is a collaborative artist yes. He works best with a creative assistant but he's the director, the visionary if you will. Axl clearly was the focal point as any great frontman is. I'd rank Izzy second in terms of overall importance in the band's legacy. Third place would be a close race between Slash, Robin Finck, and Paul Tobias. I'd probably give Slash the slight edge, but I don't think you can give an accurate measure of Robin or Paul's overall contribution just yet. They both saved the band at one point and breathed new creative life into it in ways that haven't yet been fully recognized.

But yeah I agree with your basic premise that Axl operates more democratically within the material than either Izzy or Slash.

Edited by Mr. Dude

CD is an amazing album, it has some excellent songs, my problem is that It should not have the GNR name, when Paul McCartney goes in the studio and records, he doens't releases the album as The beatles, When Robert Plant releases an Album, he doesn't uses the Led Zeppelin name. Axl should just get over the GNR name, if he thinks he is a good musician and wants to make music for the fans then he should just use his name and not a name which had Major contributions from other members who made the name famous.

Why can't YOU just get over the name in your own mind?

Axl is a collaborative artist yes. He works best with a creative assistant but he's the director, the visionary if you will. Axl clearly was the focal point as any great frontman is. I'd rank Izzy second in terms of overall importance in the band's legacy. Third place would be a close race between Slash, Robin Finck, and Paul Tobias. I'd probably give Slash the slight edge, but I don't think you can give an accurate measure of Robin or Paul's overall contribution just yet. They both saved the band at one point and breathed new creative life into it in ways that haven't yet been fully recognized.

But yeah I agree with your basic premise that Axl operates more democratically within the material than either Izzy or Slash.

Are you related to Gunner PT or Wkuk?

It was shit when it came out. It's still shit. It will always be shit.

People need to accept that. It's a steaming turd of an album and because of that very few people outside this forum care or even know about.

And because it's such a flop some hipster critics here and there want to be different so badly that they write a positive review about it now.

The fact still is that it's too long, too bloated, too overproduced, too layered, too full of effects, made by a band (name) with no original members left, written by guys that aren't in the band anymore either and from there on ruined further by adding every musician on the northern hemisphere to every track.

The fact is you're wrong

I think Izzy basically just played his parts and left. Axl and Slash probably did UYI a little different to the way Izzy would have. Axls lyrics and vocal melodies definitely means he influences the records a lot. Izzy didn't seem attached to UYI as Axl was. Slash seemed proud of the achievement.

I think Izzy basically just played his parts and left. Axl and Slash probably did UYI a little different to the way Izzy would have. Axls lyrics and vocal melodies definitely means he influences the records a lot. Izzy didn't seem attached to UYI as Axl was. Slash seemed proud of the achievement.

Axl seemed more receptive to working on everybody else's material than the rest of the band did. Axl never publicly distanced himself from the others' material in the way Slash and Izzy did at times. Axl seemed like he was the point guard while Slash was more of a shoot first 2-guard. Izzy just wanted to to play d and rebound, but teams started keying in on Axl and Slash with double teams so they wanted him to start scoring more.

Edited by Mr. Dude

You've lost me!

Axl seemed more receptive to working on everybody else's material than the rest of the band did. Axl never publicly distanced himself from the others' material in the way Slash and Izzy did at times. Axl seemed like he was the point guard while Slash was more of a shoot first 2-guard. Izzy just wanted to to play d and rebound, but teams started keying in on Axl and Slash with double teams so they wanted him to start scoring more.

Wait a sec, wasnt Axl the one who dint show up for the first 6 to 7 months of the illusions recordings? Everyone has good and bad qualities whether its Axl or Slash and as far your claiming that GNR is Axl's baby, then you are absolutely wrong, If Robert Plant releases an album without Jimmy Page and Paul Jones, would you call that a Led Zep album?

• Like 1

That's another problem I have with people who try to shove CD down other people's throats - "You have to listen to it paying attention/using headphones!"

Well, as a music lover, a person who couldn't imagine his life without music, I gotta say: every album must be listened that way. Not only multi-layered albums but every album, from stripped down punk rock to classical music.

As a music lover, but not an audiophile, I rather tend to think that using headphones is a luxury: a good song will shine through no matter the device.

Also, isn't Artist direct a promotional site?

Edited by Chuzeville
  • Like 1

Slash is all about the lay ups, Axl is the three pointer guy and Izzy wolfs out to win the game.

Wait a sec, wasnt Axl the one who dint show up for the first 6 to 7 months of the illusions recordings? Everyone has good and bad qualities whether its Axl or Slash and as far your claiming that GNR is Axl's baby, then you are absolutely wrong, If Robert Plant releases an album without Jimmy Page and Paul Jones, would you call that a Led Zep album?
There are a few sacred bands like Zepp, The Beatles, The Doors that just fuck it up for all the other rolling disasters trying make buck in this business.

I see Chi Dem has reached the 'so shit its fashionable to say it was quality 8 years later just to be different' status :lol:

That's so incredibly obvious. But some still in butthurt denial will continue to persist this is a dawn to a new day :lol:

This should bring a couple dozen new excuses as to why CD failed within the next couple days as well. Let the games begin...

Edited by Bobbo
  • Like 1

Third place would be a close race between Slash, Robin Finck, and Paul Tobias.

Thanks for disgrace yourself with that sentence. I stopped reading your post here.

All you do is rewriting history.

I think Slash gets the edge, but I can understand where you might personally rank Robin or Paul ahead. I like the new band too. I'm just trying to be objective and give credit. You can't deny that he was at least their during a formative era for the band.

Both would never play GNR hits if it wasn't for the original lineup.

Even Steven is more important to the band than all hired hands in the bands history combined!

I wouldn't go so far as to call Steven a hired hand. He did have a certain energy and vibe about him even if he didn't contribute to the creative process.

Edited by Mr. Dude

I haven't posted in this thread yet... why the hell do you have to be talking about me?

CD is an amazing album, it has some excellent songs, my problem is that It should not have the GNR name

:rofl-lol:

But.....but......I thought everybody in the media hated and had a personal grudge against Axl!!!

Is this guy a professional music critic or just a random fan's blog? The description of the album is pretty over the top.

What's your excuse this time? Was any delusional Axl fan praising ChD or attacking Slash, again? I'm just curious about what's the justification you'll find this time for what you are doing again ...

Anyway, the way he's making it pretty over the top makes me think that he's just a fan, or he became a fan, or whatever ... the way he's praising the band members it's also strange ...

I wouldn't give too much attention to this kind of reviews .... but it's always nice to hear some positive stuff about something we like.

Edited by GUNNER PT

Axl wouldn't be singing the hits live for the last 15 years without the new guys though.

Of course they are more important, you can't build a house from the roof down.

But if you could CD is solar panel tiling.

I haven't posted in this thread yet... why the hell do you have to be talking about me?

It was just a general question? Not a good one nor a bad one, even Axl doesn't posts in this forum but we still do talk about him, Im giving you the importance as much as im giving to Axl