Chinese Democracy review posted - "new classic album"

Tune everything out, put the headphones, and crank it for the entirety.

Guns N' Roses made a timeless work of art with Chinese Democracy, and history will prove its staying power. Make no bones about it. This is a rock ‘n' roll epic of the highest order, spanning the gritty energy fans clamored for with an elegant sonic refinement and some of Axl Rose's most poetic, powerful, and passionate performances and songwriting. There's something special about this fourteen-song collection in that it's almost like the band's best kept-secret even after all of these years since its 2008 release. You never hear it lauded the way that it should be, but we're going to take this opportunity to point out just how important it is.

For the past few years, Axl has delivered the tracks live with an all-star band boasting Dizzy Reed on keyboards, Tommy Stinson on the bass, Chris Pitman on keys, drummer Frank Ferrer, and the astounding guitar triumvirate of Richard Fortus, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, and DJ Ashba.

It's a formidable outfit of musicians who breathe life into this larger vision that's as sweeping and soaring as Guns N' Roses' most typically celebrated work—Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion I, and Use Your Illusion II. That's right.

Take a real deep listen to it. Focus on it the way an album is meant to be focused on. Tune everything out, put the headphones, and crank it for the entirety. Put down the smartphone, shut off the television, and walk away from the laptops and iPads. We're urging another look at Chinese Democracy, because it is that rock ‘n' roll record the world clamored for and still desires.

Anytime you hear someone say rock is dead in this era, please tell them to put Chinese Democracy on. Opener "Chinese Democracy" balances a sputtering industrial sheen with gnashing guitars with a resounding Axl wail, "All I've got is precious time." "Shackler's Revenge" feels like what the future of this style of music should've been tempering scorching synths and stark riffing, while "Better" flaunts a muscular hook that lands a real knockout. At the same time, Axl can pull back and get more intimate and open than ever before. "There Was a Time" proves downright heart-wrenching and hypnotic, while "Street of Dreams" is utterly cinematic as "Catcher in the Rye" takes flight. The collection's biggest moment arrives on the finale of "This I Love" and the pensive "Prostitute." You'll be left wanting more, which is the mark of any iconic and insurmountable body of work in this genre.

It seems like Guns N' Roses is always in the news. You can Google them now and get thousands of rumor mill results, theories, and ideas about what the band is, who it is, and what it should be. People are missing the point. This band made a landmark album in this century. Chinese Democracy is everything that it should've been, the world waited for, and more. It's also going to last for a long time to come. They're not leaving us either and continue to get more relevant, especially with that powerful letter Axl Rose recently wrote to the president of Indonesia. Embrace Chinese Democracy now, if you haven't already. Forget about everything else. It comes down to what's on tape. In this case, what's on tape is timeless.

Rick Florino

If you know the story behind the album, and you have read interviews about the process and the mystery of Axl Rose then it's a good listen

If you are a one time listener than it sucks. But if you ever get the chance to play it from beginning to end with great sound quality than it will either give you a headache or you will appreciate its unique take. Tough album to judge.

• Like 2

That's another problem I have with people who try to shove CD down other people's throats - "You have to listen to it paying attention/using headphones!"

Well, as a music lover, a person who couldn't imagine his life without music, I gotta say: every album must be listened that way. Not only multi-layered albums but every album, from stripped down punk rock to classical music.

It just happened to me, actually. I was listening to a Coheed and Cambria b-side (Elf Tower New Mexico) which is basically a demo, it's not properly mixed, but man, everything is just so interesting... Music is just awesome.

As for the review... As people predicted, CD is just starting to get the recognition it deserves. 13 more years and those reviews will be all over the place.

• Like 2

That's another problem I have with people who try to shove CD down other people's throats - "You have to listen to it paying attention/using headphones!"

Well, as a music lover, a person who couldn't imagine his life without music, I gotta say: every album must be listened that way. Not only multi-layered albums but every album, from stripped down punk rock to classical music.

It just happened to me, actually. I was listening to a Coheed and Cambria b-side (Elf Tower New Mexico) which is basically a demo, it's not properly mixed, but man, everything is just so interesting... Music is just awesome.

As for the review... As people predicted, CD is just starting to get the recognition it deserves. 13 more years and those reviews will be all over the place.

It's poetic that recognition for Axl's work comes at a totally Axlesque pace.

• Like 2

I remember reading an interview with a producer who said something along the lines of: "as long as you have a good song and it sounds good on laptop speakers, that's pretty much all you need, because most people will just listen to your song on laptop speakers anyway."

• Like 2

If you know the story behind the album, and you have read interviews about the process and the mystery of Axl Rose then it's a good listen

If you are a one time listener than it sucks. But if you ever get the chance to play it from beginning to end with great sound quality than it will either give you a headache or you will appreciate its unique take. Tough album to judge.

Or you simply won't like it, like you knew before 'cause you really tried to like it and already gave it a listen many times, but it still sounds wierd!

Some people just don't like CD as a whole.

Edited by Free Bird

Oh, Rick Florino endorses it?

Then surely it MUST be the greatest things just like he says. I was wrong this whole time.

Is there some invisible Axl nutter you're responding to here or are you just barking at cars for the Hell of it?

• Like 1

It was shit when it came out. It's still shit. It will always be shit.

People need to accept that. It's a steaming turd of an album and because of that very few people outside this forum care or even know about.

And because it's such a flop some hipster critics here and there want to be different so badly that they write a positive review about it now.

The fact still is that it's too long, too bloated, too overproduced, too layered, too full of effects, made by a band (name) with no original members left, written by guys that aren't in the band anymore either and from there on ruined further by adding every musician on the northern hemisphere to every track.

• Like 1

CD is an amazing album, it has some excellent songs, my problem is that It should not have the GNR name, when Paul McCartney goes in the studio and records, he doens't releases the album as The beatles, When Robert Plant releases an Album, he doesn't uses the Led Zeppelin name. Axl should just get over the GNR name, if he thinks he is a good musician and wants to make music for the fans then he should just use his name and not a name which had Major contributions from other members who made the name famous.

• Like 1

To me some music is headphones.

Like CD or Rons new album, Faith no More. Korn. Manson. headphones.

Black n Blue, the White album, The Doors, Neil Young, Eagles stereo, LDR, Paoblo Nutini stereo.

Some music is headphones, some music is car, some music is home system, some is all three, some is you need weed.

CD is an amazing album, it has some excellent songs, my problem is that It should not have the GNR name, when Paul McCartney goes in the studio and records, he doens't releases the album as The beatles, When Robert Plant releases an Album, he doesn't uses the Led Zeppelin name. Axl should just get over the GNR name, if he thinks he is a good musician and wants to make music for the fans then he should just use his name and not a name which had Major contributions from other members who made the name famous.

No sense. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple?

No sense. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple?

ACDC, Pink Floyd, the Stones, Van Halen, Alice In Chains, etc, etc.

The whole line up of AC/DC and Pink Floyd din't change, If Brain Johnson releases an album without Angus, Malcom (I know he is sick now) and Cliff Williams, then it will be totally alright to call it an AC/DC Album?

Edited by Slash787

The whole line up of AC/DC and Pink Floyd din't change, If Brain Johnson releases an album without Angus, Malcom (I know he is sick now) and Cliff Williams, then it will be totally alright to call it an AC/DC Album?

No, but its different. Axl founded GNR. It's his creation.

Yeah and Tracii Guns composed the riff and solo of SCOM and who the hell needs Duff Mckagan when you have the multi talented Ole Biech

Yeah and Tracii Guns composed the riff and solo of SCOM and who the hell needs Duff Mckagan when you have the multi talented Ole Biech

Obviously Duff is more important than Ole in the historical persepctive, but Axl was always the indispensible cog. Others have contributed to varying degrees, but GNR was and is Axl's baby. That's why its hard for him to do things outside GNR. He is so GNR that he can't not be GNR.