Anyone else feel that Axl has treated Bumblefoot with utter contempt?

Surely it was galling for Buckethead to have to play second fiddle to Robin Finck?

If I was him (or Ron with DJ) I'd be concerned that the average punter mistook the horrid sound coming out of the other guy's amp for my own.

I think Ron's music is horrible and the term "electric ham sandwich" comes to mind but there's no denying his technical ability and good attitude.

• Like 1

The least Axl could do is return the favour by collaborating - even if only once - on one of Ron's musicial ideas. It would probably be all it took to get the man to stay in the band, but Axl thinks so little of this lineup he can't even bring himself to do that.

Is there a source on this or are you just saying some shit out of your ass for the hell of it?

I've read Ron say that there is a big difference between doing his own album and GnR stuff because he controls his album and Axl controls the GnR album...but umm, not shit. If that is a revelation to anyone, they are an idiot.

Just a guy talking casually "It's crazy, when I worked at foot locker, they decided what was on sale and when new stock came in, but when I opened my own store I decided when sales were going to happen."

Moron: "Woah. Mind. Blown."

• Like 1

Like it or lump it being in Guns, exposed Bumble to an array of opportunities. I understand the frustration Bumble has for Guns, with things not moving forward but he has to understand this is someone else's vision. Touring in agony Ron is a man of his commitments. Did his material get knocked back or did it not get used I'm assuming something went on there or he's frustrated in the lack of progression of the band. Magazines, session requests, invitations to join other bands, it does reap rewards for Ron who has earned it even though his music doesn't appeal to me he is an accomplished guitar player.

To be fair, finck only has one songwriting credit on CD and NIN doesn't seem like a testament to his abilities that we've yet to see. I don't know how Trent reznor works but it seems like he writes the songs (progression and all) and the credited musicians just play to them. We've only seen him playing on other peoples tracks besides better. Well only know if he releases a solo album (or if gnr releases some of his tracks (ha!)). I did like his slow solo song he did in 2006/2007 (mainly the riff)

It does seem like axl doesn't give two shits about the current band. Rons music isn't my thing but I did like Argentina (riff wise, vocal melodies need work) and little brother. Don't like six am. And I don't know what else dj has been in so I don't know how he is as a songwriter. don't know what fortus is like as a writer much. I like bucketheads stuff a lot (mainly his slower music). I think he was a true asset to gnr in terms of slower songs. I don't know how he is as a hard rock riff writer because his faster stuff is mainly soloing to power chords. (His slower song riffs are great however,a and some of his funk is catchy as well)

Edited by Mendez

All I can say is I don´t know what kind of contract Ron signed. Was he promised songwriting credits in an eventual new album? Was he guaranteed that a new album was going to be made to beging with?

If the answer is yes, then Axl fucked him over. But if he was hired to perform live shows and add a few things on CD but nothing beyond that then he knew what he was getting into. And he has nobody else to blame but himself

All in all I'd say its alright, Bumbles made himself a few quid, got his name out there, Axl got a gap filled that needed filling (oo err, as it were :lol:) for a bit and then they go their seperate way. I suppose I see your point Towelie but I suppose it's just about how you look at a thing really.

• Like 1

Axl has not even released music for his fans who made him so big, he has not even released music for his satisfaction, I doubt he would go all the way out to record stuff with Ron.

Ron is just a hired member on a contract like others, this is what Axl wanted. I really feel bad for him what he went through, but even he knew he is just another hired member and the rope is in Axl's hand.

Axl decides and tells the members through TB when to do what in regards to the band. I feel more bad for Robin and Bucket, they recorded a lot of stuff and I assume very good stuff which din't make it to the album and they cannot even use it anywhere.

It's no surprise to me that Axl isn't interested in Ron's material, as I said earlier... "electric ham sandwich".

Buckethead doesn't always hit the mark, but when he does, it's sublime...Ron might be able to play Bucket's material but he sure as fuck can't write it.

The least Axl could do is return the favour by collaborating - even if only once - on one of Ron's musicial ideas. It would probably be all it took to get the man to stay in the band, but Axl thinks so little of this lineup he can't even bring himself to do that.

Is there a source on this or are you just saying some shit out of your ass for the hell of it?

What part exactly do you think I need a source for dickwipe? The part about Axl not collaborating with Ron on new music? Ron has confirmed this in various interviews.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

[there is a big difference between doing his own album and GnR stuff because he controls his album and Axl controls the GnR album...but umm, not shit. If that is a revelation to anyone, they are an idiot.

Just a guy talking casually "It's crazy, when I worked at foot locker, they decided what was on sale and when new stock came in, but when I opened my own store I decided when sales were going to happen."

Moron: "Woah. Mind. Blown."

Nobody is suggesting that anyone other than Axl would be in charge but most bands do a thing called "collaborating" where they work on new songs together and share ideas back and fourth. I don't think it's idiotic for a lead guitarist to expect some level of creative input in a band.

It's no surprise to me that Axl isn't interested in Ron's material, as I said earlier... "electric ham sandwich".

Buckethead doesn't always hit the mark, but when he does, it's sublime...Ron might be able to play Bucket's material but he sure as fuck can't write it.

Each to their own. I would take Ron's music over BH's self-indulgence anyday. At least Ron actually writes proper songs with structures and riffs. I like some of BH's music but a fair amount of it is just super-fast noodling over power chords (Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace being two examples of this) but then instrumental music largely bores me.

Having said that, I do think the Shacklers Revenge riff was pretty badass.

• Like 1

Each to their own. I would take Ron's music over BH's self-indulgence anyday. At least Ron actually writes proper songs with structures and riffs. I like some of BH's music but a fair amount of it is just super-fast noodling over power chords (Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace being two examples of this) but then instrumental music largely bores me.

That's cool, I respect your opinion.

People like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park too, I sort of lump Ron's stuff in with that...really not my thing.

People like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park too, I sort of lump Ron's stuff in with that...really not my thing.

His music sounds nothing like either of those bands. Not sure if that's what you were suggesting?

His music sounds nothing like either of those bands. Not sure if that's what you were suggesting?

I just mean it's as generic as generic could be.

The thing is, he's been treated poorly since his first interactions with the camp in 2004. He was slapped down in public for talking about having been contacted post-Bucket; then the band treated him like shit and Axl thought it was funny that he had to pull a knife on them to get some respect; he had to learn the new songs by listening on a laptop whilst supervised and taking notes a few days before Hammerstein despite the fucking songs having already leaked; Ashba supposedly getting paid more than him; touring whilst suicidally fucked up with no support from the band or management; having to cancel solo plans at the last minute; Axl publicly saying things were moving forward when they never did....

I never connected with the guy and i've always had a hard-on for Bucket and never felt it was the same after he left but still, I do feel bad for Ron having to carry the load whilst Ashba collects a cheque to be the posterboy.

• Like 1

Infact he has treated the entire post-2009 lineup with utter contempt. But when you factor into account Ron's loyalty, having performed in excruciating agony when most people would have walked, the least Axl could do is return the favour by collaborating - even if only once - on one of Ron's musicial ideas. It would probably be all it took to get the man to stay in the band, but Axl thinks so little of this lineup he can't even bring himself to do that.

As a guitarist Ron Thal can run rings around Robin Finck and can play anything Buckethead composed, and yet Axl never once chose to work on any original material with him. He has written some great songs himself and has a much stronger track record as a songwriter than Robin Finck ever did. Okay he isn't a former member of NIN so I guess he doesn't get Axl's boner raging the same way Robin did. But to be hired simply to play the parts of lesser musicians (many of whom had no more right to call themselves GNR than Ron has) must feel pretty demeaning for someone who has achieved such virtuosic levels in his craft.

I don't know. If Axl doesn't like Bumblefoot's music then I think it would be wrong of him to collaborate with Bumblefoot, period. It might very well be that Axl has failed in his communication and hasn't respected their input, ideas and wishes, and in these ways have demonstrated contempt for his band mates, but I can't blame him for not collaborating on anyone's solo music if he doesn't like it.

• Like 1

Infact he has treated the entire post-2009 lineup with utter contempt. But when you factor into account Ron's loyalty, having performed in excruciating agony when most people would have walked, the least Axl could do is return the favour by collaborating - even if only once - on one of Ron's musicial ideas. It would probably be all it took to get the man to stay in the band, but Axl thinks so little of this lineup he can't even bring himself to do that.

As a guitarist Ron Thal can run rings around Robin Finck and can play anything Buckethead composed, and yet Axl never once chose to work on any original material with him. He has written some great songs himself and has a much stronger track record as a songwriter than Robin Finck ever did. Okay he isn't a former member of NIN so I guess he doesn't get Axl's boner raging the same way Robin did. But to be hired simply to play the parts of lesser musicians (many of whom had no more right to call themselves GNR than Ron has) must feel pretty demeaning for someone who has achieved such virtuosic levels in his craft.

I don't know. If Axl doesn't like Bumblefoot's music then I think it would be wrong of him to collaborate with Bumblefoot, period. It might very well be that Axl has failed in his communication and hasn't respected their input, ideas and wishes, and in these ways have demonstrated contempt for his band mates, but I can't blame him for not collaborating on anyone's solo music if he doesn't like it.

I don't expect Axl to collaborate on Ron's solo work, but why hire musicians for your band if you don't want to collaborate with them on your own album? Were Ron and DJ only ever intended to be live band members? It feels as if Axl gave up on GNR as a studio band the day Finck left.

I don't expect Axl to collaborate on Ron's solo work, but why hire musicians for your band if you don't want to collaborate with them on your own album? Were Ron and DJ only ever intended to be live band members? It feels as if Axl gave up on GNR as a studio band the day Finck left.

I think, and partly from Axl's comments, that the lineup he has been touring with these years has largely been a live lineup only. I don't necesarrily think Bumblefoot was brought in for his song writing skills, but as someone able to recreate GN'R music live on stage, both being able to play Buckethead and Slash.

I dont necessarily think Bumblefoot was brought in for his song writing skills, but as someone able to recreate GN'R music live on stboth being able to play Buckethead and Slash.

Unless he explicitly stated that to Ron and Dj then its a pretty dick move on Axl's part to string them along all this time. And does that mean he is done creating new studio work? Seeing as the only musicians who chooses to collaborate with are no longer in the band?

Edited by Towelie

I don't think Axl treated or holds Run in 'utter contempt'.

He probably views Bumble the same way as he did Gilby Clarke:

Nice guy, fun to play live with, cool to chat with....Not one he's interested in writing with.

Trouble is, the people Axl IS interested in writing with are no longer interested in writing with him. Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1