anyone ever play the gnr pinball machine?

I've played it, about 15+ years ago. Our local arcade had one. I'm sure there is a rose on the part that is pulled to release the ball. I'm not a huge fan of pinball games, probably as I find them so unfair, when the ball rolls between the flippers. Probably the best pinball game i've played is one called Tommy.

At around 4:56 you hear "This is snakpit!" and it sounds like an early riff of Soma City Ward. I never caught that before.

It came out July of 1994.

Well it is a Slosh and Izzy song.

I never noticed it on there before. I take it we can say 100% that was one of the "rejected" songs?

• Like 1

in order to play it , you need a Visual Pinball program (aka VPinball)- free download

then you download the GNR Pinball table from here :

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/UpDownload-req-getit-lid-1545.html

set it up and all, and you're free to play

looks like this

16byoua.png

it sure is fun to play

tested on Win XP in 2015

and on Win7 in 2015

setting it up was a little bit frustrating but all the info needed is provided in the readme file. It's mostly a matter of copying files into a correct folder

and it comes with sound files that let you listen to all the sound from the game! but the files are *.snd, which are not played by VLC or winamp, so tough luck

and if you DO manage to extract them - let me know how, I want it too

Edited by whatashame
  • Like 1

in order to play it , you need a Visual Pinball program (aka VPinball)- free download

then you download the GNR Pinball table from here :

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/UpDownload-req-getit-lid-1545.html

set it up and all, and you're free to play

looks like this

16byoua.png

it sure is fun to play

tested on Win XP in 2015

and on Win7 in 2015

setting it up was a little bit frustrating but all the info needed is provided in the readme file. It's mostly a matter of copying files into a correct folder

and it comes with sound files that let you listen to all the sound from the game! but the files are *.snd, which are not played by VLC or winamp, so tough luck

and if you DO manage to extract them - let me know how, I want it too

Holy shit, that's rad. I'd never heard of that before. Probably gonna test it out on Win10 tomorrow and see if I can make it happen.

Yes I did!!! It was in 2007-2008 in a Hungarian suburban pub! I was with my -that time- girlfriend, and she had to play with it as well... It was real fun. :)

Nice, man! Can you give me the exact location in PM please? I'm from Hungary and i've never seen GNR pinball machines here.... (I've lived a lot of years in suburban areas)

Also thanks whatashame, will give it a try

.snd files can be converted viahttp://www.wav-mp3.com/convert-snd-to-mp3.htm

Edited by Strange Broue

I've wondered this for a while, but was hesitant to start a thread:

Newer "band" pinball machines, like the AC/DC or Metallica ones, have music that plays that is essentially the album tracks.

The GNR machine though, as far as I can tell from watching stuff online, does not. The songs sound horrible. I'm assuming this is because the technology back then didn't allow for CD tracks to be built into a pinball machine?

Has anyone ever tried to "upgrade" a GNR pin to play album tracks?

I'm in the middle of doing just that to mine. (And yeah, the original sounds and music are super low-bitrate and generally horrible.)

Late last year the PinSound sound board came out (www.pinsound.org) which lets you replace each sound (background music, sfx, voice callouts) individually.

It's a process, because you end up playing a lot of games on the machine (OK, that part I don't mind) to record what/when/why each sound gets played, then a lot of time in Audition trimming/mixing clips, but it really makes an enormous difference in the experience.

I'll see if I can post up a video of mine with the in-progress sound mix in the next couple of days. Still a lot of non-music effects to sort out but it's already so much better than stock.

• Like 1

And a good article here from the designer of the machine. Some neat bits about the working relationship with Axl and Slash on the machine.

http://gameroomblog.com/features/the-making-of-the-guns-and-roses-pinball-machine

I've wondered this for a while, but was hesitant to start a thread:

Newer "band" pinball machines, like the AC/DC or Metallica ones, have music that plays that is essentially the album tracks.

The GNR machine though, as far as I can tell from watching stuff online, does not. The songs sound horrible. I'm assuming this is because the technology back then didn't allow for CD tracks to be built into a pinball machine?

Has anyone ever tried to "upgrade" a GNR pin to play album tracks?

I'm in the middle of doing just that to mine. (And yeah, the original sounds and music are super low-bitrate and generally horrible.)

Late last year the PinSound sound board came out (www.pinsound.org) which lets you replace each sound (background music, sfx, voice callouts) individually.

It's a process, because you end up playing a lot of games on the machine (OK, that part I don't mind) to record what/when/why each sound gets played, then a lot of time in Audition trimming/mixing clips, but it really makes an enormous difference in the experience.

I'll see if I can post up a video of mine with the in-progress sound mix in the next couple of days. Still a lot of non-music effects to sort out but it's already so much better than stock.

That is very, very cool, Blackjacker! Would love to see a vid, if you are able to do that.

I imagine the amount of work involved would indeed, be great. So cool that you are doing this.

• 2 months later...

That is very, very cool, Blackjacker! Would love to see a vid, if you are able to do that.

I imagine the amount of work involved would indeed, be great. So cool that you are doing this.

Way late, but here's an in-progress video from a couple days ago. A horrible video, actually - with my iPhone balanced on the machine and the glass still on, so there's all kinds of glare. You really can't see much so thankfully this video's all about the audio.

Most of the music is pretty much sorted out, except for Gilby and Duff modes (they share a music background track, and Gilby mode then runs the motorcycle noise on top of that - I'm still trying to sort the best way to handle those two modes.) SFX and callouts are a work in progress, but I'm definitely closer to being finished than being started.

Getting proper, quality tracks in the machine TRANSFORMS the playing experience. It really is a different machine with the PinSound board installed.

Video's at the bottom - it's kinda long (12 mins) so here's a cheat sheet to the major music/SFX points. Starts from power-off, so you can see/hear the PinSound boot process.

0:20 boot.wav starts
0:36 background civil war
0:39 mode start - matt
0:48 encore
1:15 add band member
1:24 tick tock
1:30 mode start - slash
1:39 kickback (car rev)
2:21 coma is lit
2:33 mode start - gilby
3:11 add band member
3:14 mode start - coma
3:59 extra ball awarded
4:24 add band member
4:48 extra ball start
4:54 mode start - snakepit
5:06 add band member
5:54 mode start - dizzy ramps
6:28 mode start - duff
7:06 mode start - axl 3 ball
8:06 mystery
8:14 mode start - riot
9:57 add band member via trigger (no trigger sound)
11:37 match sequence - new chick laugh and "oh dude" voice
11:43 game over outro music
  • Like 1