Slash politely declined to broach the (GNR REUNION) subject [NEW TIMES TELEGRAM INTERVIEW OCT 1ST 2015]

There could be adverts for a reunion world tour in today's papers, tickets could be on sale, and we still wouldn't hear from Axl.

Depends on whether or not anything was going on in the world's of boxing or giraffes. You know, things that unlike Guns N Roses, he actually cares about.

Well, if the rumours are false then I certainly blame Slash for not explicitly stating that no reunion is being planned.

Yeah, Because Axl doesn't have a phone, a twitter account or fingers.

Slash was the one starting the rumours and the one who has had ample opportunities in recent interviews to have they corrected.

Sure, Axl could do that as well, but he didn't start the rumours nor has he done any interviews lately. Besides, maybe he thinks it would backfire on him if he comes out as the bad guy who denies them? He is already the villain in GN'R history, publicly saying the rumours aren't true could easily be perceived as it is Axl's fault they aren't.

But Axl is the last true rock star and he doesn't give a fuck what people think about him.

If, so, even less reason for Axl to bother with denying some rumours about him :shrugs:.

But why do you care?

There could be adverts for a reunion world tour in today's papers, tickets could be on sale, and we still wouldn't hear from Axl.

Depends on whether or not anything was going on in the world's of boxing or giraffes. You know, things that unlike Guns N Roses, he actually cares about.

Thats a notion worth considering too y'know. I mean you're in your 50s, NuGnR has clearly gone up the pictures, you got this reunion thing hanging over you...but why, what for? From an Axl point of view whats he actually gonna get out of it? Anyone who thinks they can pick up where they left off and continue making music of the kind of quality they did before...which they can't so whats the point? A couple of really well played reunion gigs? All thats gonna do is solidify the notion that, actually, he fucked up a really good thing. He's rich already, whats he wanna put himself out there like that for? Money maybe, pad out the old pension fund? Thats about alls i can see.

As i get older I'm getting more and more cynical and getting the impression that, really and truly, when GnR went down the toilet in 94/95 he knew he had the name and has just been on a pisstake ever since, making as much money out of the thing as he possibly can for when he's set for the knackers yard.

Well, if the rumours are false then I certainly blame Slash for not explicitly stating that no reunion is being planned.

Yeah, Because Axl doesn't have a phone, a twitter account or fingers.

Slash was the one starting the rumours and the one who has had ample opportunities in recent interviews to have they corrected.

Sure, Axl could do that as well, but he didn't start the rumours nor has he done any interviews lately. Besides, maybe he thinks it would backfire on him if he comes out as the bad guy who denies them? He is already the villain in GN'R history, publicly saying the rumours aren't true could easily be perceived as it is Axl's fault they aren't.

But Axl is the last true rock star and he doesn't give a fuck what people think about him.

If, so, even less reason for Axl to bother with denying some rumours about him :shrugs:.

But why do you care?

Why I care about potentially false reunion rumours not being corrected by the one that initiated them? In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't say I care, but in the puny scheme of things it wouldn't be so bad if GN'R fans didn't have to go around being perpetually disappointed because they allowed themselves to be enthuastic about rumours that turned out to be bullshit.

Slash said he and Axl are cool again = Slash initiated reunion rumors.

Only in gnr forums. My lord...

You are right, 'initiated' wasn't the right word (I knew when I was typing but couldn't think of the correct English word). If anything, it was the reporter who initiated the friendship rumour by claiming Axl and Slash are friends again, and Slash who had the opportunity to squash that statement there and then, and later kill the reunion rumour on numerous interview opportunities.

The problem is they're a bunch of precious little twats who think they're too grand and mysterious to tweet or say "sorry, no plans in the immediate future". That goes for Axl, Slash, the old band, the new band and TB.

Guns remains the only band I've ever come across where the more invested and into it a fan is, the shittier a time they're going to have.

• Like 1

Thats a notion worth considering too y'know. I mean you're in your 50s, NuGnR has clearly gone up the pictures, you got this reunion thing hanging over you...but why, what for? From an Axl point of view whats he actually gonna get out of it? Anyone who thinks they can pick up where they left off and continue making music of the kind of quality they did before...which they can't so whats the point? A couple of really well played reunion gigs? All thats gonna do is solidify the notion that, actually, he fucked up a really good thing. He's rich already, whats he wanna put himself out there like that for? Money maybe, pad out the old pension fund? Thats about alls i can see.

As i get older I'm getting more and more cynical and getting the impression that, really and truly, when GnR went down the toilet in 94/95 he knew he had the name and has just been on a pisstake ever since, making as much money out of the thing as he possibly can for when he's set for the knackers yard.

Definitely an element of that. Axl said one reason to keep the name was he'd be bankrupt without it. Considering how vilified and blamed for the break up to the point where he didn't think coming out and telling his side at the time because nobody would listen in the media. Plus he was getting sued by everyone. So the name was probably the one thing that got him some creative freedom, a record deal with an advance. The other guys left and blamed him and the media piled on. If say he went solo the media would have just tore it to pieces and say get back with GNR. He couldn't play Rio or maybe even tour successful. Slash plays smaller shows than Axl, doesnt headline Rock in Rio. It was just too much too lose his relationships, band and the name and just end up 4th on the bill at Download. Fuck that.

Why should he throwaway his position and contract he worked for because the guitarist basically wants to go solo?

So he seemed to have an idea what he could do with the band, he had this idea for a record and saw the fans still wanted to go see a GNR touring band, I think he named checked The Alice Cooper touring band as an example.

Looking at who wrote the songs in GNR, mostly Izzy I don't think he could go solo successful long term. Izzy and Slash can churn out material. Axl has 2-3 songs in each album. Even CD isnt as commercial radio rock as Slash solo stuff. Maybe Axl could go like Elton or something but hes more like the lead singer of a rock band than a singer-songwriter.

So yeah he was just salvaging something from the wreckage, trying to carry on. Trying not to lose the mansion in malibu end up playing bars with Gilby. There was a long way to fall in 96.

Definitely an element of that. Axl said one reason to keep the name was he'd be bankrupt without it. Considering how vilified and blamed for the break up to the point where he didn't think coming out and telling his side at the time because nobody would listen in the media. Plus he was getting sued by everyone. So the name was probably the one thing that got him some creative freedom, a record deal with an advance. The other guys left and blamed him and the media piled on. If say he went solo the media would have just tore it to pieces and say get back with GNR. He couldn't play Rio or maybe even tour successful. Slash plays smaller shows than Axl, doesnt headline Rock in Rio. It was just too much too lose his relationships, band and the name and just end up 4th on the bill at Download. Fuck that.

Why should he throwaway his position and contract he worked for because the guitarist basically wants to go solo?

So he seemed to have an idea what he could do with the band, he had this idea for a record and saw the fans still wanted to go see a GNR touring band, I think he named checked The Alice Cooper touring band as an example.

Looking at who wrote the songs in GNR, mostly Izzy I don't think he could go solo successful long term. Izzy and Slash can churn out material. Axl has 2-3 songs in each album. Even CD isnt as commercial radio rock as Slash solo stuff. Maybe Axl could go like Elton or something but hes more like the lead singer of a rock band than a singer-songwriter.

So yeah he was just salvaging something from the wreckage, trying to carry on. Trying not to lose the mansion in malibu end up playing bars with Gilby. There was a long way to fall in 96.

But why is it so? Why did he get sued by everyone? Why did the others leave?

Definitely not because they wanted to go solo. That's bullshit. That's either a lie or blind Axl-fanboyism.

Duff, Izzy, Slash they all managed to live without the name GNR. If Axl had balls and integrity he had done the same. But he didn't. He choosed the other way... and failed.

Definitely not because they wanted to go solo. That's bullshit. That's either a lie or blind Axl-fanboyism.

Duff, Izzy, Slash they all managed to live without the name GNR. If Axl had balls and integrity he had done the same. But he didn't. He choosed the other way... and failed.

I'm just trying to see it from his pov. He said something to that effect. we know the whole back and forth on that by now.

The bankruptcy thing was kind of too honest and hard to understand. Maybe he lives a more lavish lifestyle or really wanted a career that say Izzy doesn't want or have.

Slash has done well but I don't think Axl could have that kind of success as a solo artist. Plus he had the backlash to deal with as a solo artist. He didnt sound confident he could get back to the same level as a solo artist.

Like he said he didnt think he could recover from it personally or professionally.

I'm just trying to see it from his pov. He said something to that effect. we know the whole back and forth on that by now.

The bankruptcy thing was kind of too honest and hard to understand. Maybe he lives a more lavish lifestyle or really wanted a career that say Izzy doesn't want or have.

Slash has done well but I don't think Axl could have that kind of success as a solo artist. Plus he had the backlash to deal with as a solo artist. He didnt sound confident he could get back to the same level as a solo artist.

Like he said he didnt think he could recover from it personally or professionally.

He choosed the easiest way to make money regardless of his integrity. It's so easy. Do you know how I call that? I call that a sell out.

Maybe in his own little world he really believed he is GNR but in that world it's everybody else's fault but his. Regardless of what's the matter. This world has nothing to do with reality.

This is the most galling thing for anyone who supported Axl from 2000 onwards. He had every opportunity and he just fucked it. The name, a plethora of talent around him, a lot of fan support. He just pissed it up against a wall and his grand vision resulted in him playing subpar versions of Appetite songs in Vegas looking like an idiot while Nanalala pulls his strings backstage. It's just pathetic and inexcusable.

Maybe it wasn't entirely his fault though. Seems like an easy solution. If they were partly to blame then maybe seeing as they signed the name over he had a right to use it. Just another sign they didn't care.

I think as much as people say he was arrogant to use the name on his own, he actually wrote a record mourning the end of the band. It meant enough to him not just to blow past it and write more songs about drugs and strippers. Listening to Madagascar makes me think he didn't take it lightly. He's not making music just to make money.

Maybe it wasn't entirely his fault though. Seems like an easy solution. If they were partly to blame then maybe seeing as they signed the name over he had a right to use it. Just another sign they didn't care.

I think as much as people say he was arrogant to use the name on his own, he actually wrote a record mourning the end of the band. It meant enough to him not just to blow past it and write more songs about drugs and strippers. Listening to Madagascar makes me think he didn't take it lightly. He's not making music just to make money.

He is not doing much of anything right now!

He is not doing much of anything right now!

That's called taking the high road...the road less traveled.