Let's drink....

I'd (hard to fucking believe) had never seen this...awesome- (2015 Axl must be pissed at what he's done to himself)-

Those three performances of 'Salt of the Earth' with Axl and Izzy in Atlantic City were the first occasions upon which the Rolling Stones had played that song in twenty-one years. In some respects it was the first time they had ever played the song live since the version which closes Rock and Roll Circus (1968) consisted merely of Mick and Keith singing over a pre-recorded backing track.

I believe ''Salt of the Earth'' has only been played twice since those three 1989 performances!

• Like 1

I'd (hard to fucking believe) had never seen this...awesome- (2015 Axl must be pissed at what he's done to himself)-

Those three performances of 'Salt of the Earth' with Axl and Izzy in Atlantic City were the first occasions upon which the Rolling Stones had played that song in twenty-one years. In some respects it was the first time they had ever played the song live since the version which closes Rock and Roll Circus (1968) consisted merely of Mick and Keith singing over a pre-recorded backing track.

I believe ''Salt of the Earth'' has only been played twice since those three 1989 performances!

i remember izzy telling in interview that he had to TEACH keith how to play the song

here is something from a book = https://books.google.com.br/books?id=ZyBtHRq2ncQC&pg=PA256&lpg=PA256&dq=izzy+stradlin+had+to+teach+salt+of+the+earth+rolling+stones&source=bl&ots=QlWdqZujlo&sig=zHvY7skf0lmQ4RNzB8TjFR_Tv1M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDYQ6AEwBGoVChMIx_qm2LDJyAIViRaQCh34Iwxk#v=onepage&q=izzy%20stradlin%20had%20to%20teach%20salt%20of%20the%20earth%20rolling%20stones&f=false

yes, you are right about the live versions

from wikipedia

"Salt of the Earth" has a unique live history. It has only been played once to an instrumental playback and live five times.

- The first filmed rendition was for the taping of the 1968 television special The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (not released until 1996). However, this version features Keith Richards and Mick Jagger singing live while sitting with the audience as the backing track that appeared on Beggars Banquet is played.

- It was then revived 21 years later for three performances in Atlantic City during the 1989-1990 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour, where the Stones were joined onstage by Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin of Guns N' Roses (Video on YouTube). Axl and Izzy were given their choice of songs, and when they chose this, the Stones had forgotten it, and had to listen to it to remember[citation needed].

- Jagger and Richards

on YouTube for the 2001 "The Concert for New York City", commemorating the fallen of September 11, 2001, although they changed the lyrics to make its message more positive (most notably "Let's drink to the good and the evil" was changed to "Let's drink to the good not the evil").

- Its only other performance was in London, Twickenham Rugby Ground, on September 20, 2003 during the Licks Tour.

Alan Niven's

anybody got an MP3 of this?

flac

my assumption would be that the FLAC would be a lossless rip of the YouTube video, but i could be wrong. that's why i asked for an MP3. I have a feeling it's more likely that whoever uploaded that track to YouTube did so from an MP3 and not a FLAC file.

nope, it's from a legit soundboard

Btw i even had an audience recording of this from the Ultra Rare Tracks bootleg series

Alan Niven's

anybody got an MP3 of this?

flac

my assumption would be that the FLAC would be a lossless rip of the YouTube video, but i could be wrong. that's why i asked for an MP3. I have a feeling it's more likely that whoever uploaded that track to YouTube did so from an MP3 and not a FLAC file.

nope, it's from a legit soundboard

Btw i even had an audience recording of this from the Ultra Rare Tracks bootleg series

I have the Ultra Rare Tracks bootleg as well, and I am pretty sure it's just a recording of the MTV stream (or whatever channel it was), similar to the Petty duet.