Who were you in a past life? Facebook test.

Snake-Pit

How could reincarnation be a plausible state of affairs when the number of humans on the planet is not constant?

You can get reincarnated as another genus or specie. That is why Buddhists are vegetarians.

Even so, the number of organisms on the planet is similarly inconstant, mass extinction events and population expansion being two prominent examples of ways in which it can change substantially.

I always thought the vegetarianism was more part of the principle of non-violence Buddhists are expected to adhere to.

How could reincarnation be a plausible state of affairs when the number of humans on the planet is not constant?

You can get reincarnated as another genus or specie. That is why Buddhists are vegetarians.

Even so, the number of organisms on the planet is similarly inconstant, mass extinction events and population expansion being two prominent examples of ways in which it can change substantially.

I always thought the vegetarianism was more part of the principle of non-violence Buddhists are expected to adhere to.

Well the Buddhist aversion to the consumption of meat is multifaceted. Seeing as sentient beings are locked in a continuous cycle of death and rebirth, it stands to reason that it is unethical to destroy another being's life cycle. At the same time however, seeing as the consumption of flesh is seen as desirable (i.e. tastier and more luxurious than vegetables and rice), it also is connected with Buddhist asceticism and the Four Noble Truths, i.e., (summarised) all suffering is connected with desire, and by eradicating desire we reach enlightenment. Meat is a desire, alongside alcohol, worldly possessions, sex, etc.

Vegetarianism is only mentioned in specific sutras and endorsed by only some of the schools, and has also accommodated itself to modern diets. You can see this in the opening up of Japan to meat circa Meiji period, mid 19th century. I believe certain schools advocated essentially (using the modern term) forms of pesceterianism and/or the consumption of chicken - but prohibited red meat. That was common and accounts for the large reliance on fish/poultry in the Asian diet, still today.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Well the Buddhist aversion to the consumption of meat is multifaceted. Seeing as sentient beings are locked in a continuous cycle of death and rebirth, it stands to reason that it is unethical to destroy another being's life cycle. At the same time however, seeing as the consumption of flesh is seen as desirable (i.e. tastier and more luxurious than vegetables and rice), it also is connected with Buddhist asceticism and the Four Noble Truths, i.e., (summarised) all suffering is connected with desire, and by eradicating desire we reach enlightenment. Meat is a desire, alongside alcohol, worldly possessions, sex, etc.

Vegetarianism is only mentioned in specific sutras and endorsed by only some of the schools, and has also accommodated itself to modern diets. You can see this in the opening up of Japan to meat circa Meiji period, mid 19th century. I believe certain schools advocated essentially (using the modern term) forms of pesceterianism and/or the consumption of chicken - but prohibited red meat. That was common and accounts for the large reliance on fish/poultry in the Asian diet, still today.

Eradicate sex?!?!?!

Every time you slide over to a strumpet on a nightclub, only to get turned down thus provoking feelings of a lack of worth and a sad realisation that there is only your hand for comfort tonight (a la AC/DC's ''Shot Down In Flames''), that is what the Four Noble Truths are describing. Sex is desire. Unfulfillment of that desire leads to inner suffering. Eradicate the desire and one will be enlightened. The true enlightened will reach a state called Nirvana.

Every time you slide over to a strumpet on a nightclub, only to get turned down thus provoking feelings of a lack of worth and a sad realisation that there is only your hand for comfort tonight (a la AC/DC's ''Shot Down In Flames''), that is what the Four Noble Truths are describing. Sex is desire. Unfulfillment of that desire leads to inner suffering. Eradicate the desire and one will be enlightened. The true enlightened will reach a state called Nirvana.

So true enlightenment is the human race dying off cuz no one wants to shag no one?

So true enlightenment is the human race dying off cuz no one wants to shag no one?

Presumably, if you have successfully eradicated desire, you have broken the cycle of rebirth and attained nirvana making sex redundant. Buddhism does not operate like Judaeo-Christianity however, in that there is no strict canonical orthodoxy. Full blown asceticism is not expected of laymen. Bodhisattvas however are people who have suspended their nirvana for the good of others - they would be expected to live their life by the precepts of The Four Noble Truths.

Did the test, and as I suspected I got Jesus Christ of Nazareth. And I'd like to make it clear that I find the lack of free hallucinogens, gifts, sacrifices and blowjobs being bestowed upon me in my current incarnation to be massively disappointing. I DIED for YOUR sins, you ungrateful cunts.

Forgive them father. They know not what they -

Actually, fuck 'em.

• Like 1

What do you reckon of it all personally?

Can the, desire equates suffering, be refuted? Apply it to anything that desires something else, you personally (e.g. money, women, a flash car, a holiday, a football trophy), a government (territory, hegemony, oil fields), anything? Desire leads to jealousy, envy deception.