Imagine if MTV never aired WTTJ???? Where would we be?????

One of MTV's biggest costumers at the time told them if they played Guns n Roses they would pull MTV from there channel lineup because he didn't wait to see and promote a bunch of drug heads and heroin addicts.

Imagine if MTV done what this cable company wanted and decided not to do a favor for someone at Geffen and air WTTJ?

If it was never played on that early Sunday morning 99.999% of of GNR's fan base in the late 80's and early 90's and even today would never have discovered one of if not best RNR album ever released AFD let alone the follow up albums not to mention the band it's self and how they went about things with the riots and all the interviews.

GNR would have most likely just faded away like alot of bands back then even though those bands had air play on MTV they just where not super band material and after 2 or 3 albums where gone.

MTV is where I discovered GNR how about you?

Edited by bigcountry

The band didn't become mega popular until a year later when SCOM blew up so it didn't make as much a difference as people would like to think. Does no WTTJ on MTV mean no SCOM on MTV? I doubt it. AFD still would've blown up the second SCOM was released so......

My mate Carl slipped me a tape in year 5 in school going 'listen to that, it's brilliant, it's got swearing in it'. True story :lol: He even showed me this crude squiggley bollocks and went 'thats their symbol!', i was immediately converted and went around etching this bollocks anywhere i could get a permanent marker to write, it was like a straight line with a circle under it with an X going through the circle. Now i think about it it's more like the Zodiac killers fuckin' symbol than anything to do with GnR :lol: I only had 4 channels on the telly growing up, didn't have MTV.

Edited by Len B'stard

The band didn't become mega popular until a year later when SCOM blew up so it didn't make as much a difference as people would like to think. Does no WTTJ on MTV mean no SCOM on MTV? I doubt it. AFD still would've blown up the second SCOM was released so......

I agree, SCOM got me into the band even though I had heard WTTJ and other songs too.

GNR got a gold record before they were on MTV and were hovering on the Billboard charts in the top 100. There was a moment where the label might have thrown in the towel but it just seemed like they kept pushing hard for them to be in the mainstream, plus they were support act for a lot of big bands. They seemed to do well in England, and the word of mouth also played into their success. Kalodner was also involved in movie soundtracks, so their songs would have been in more movies, and Geffen was producing movies and putting soundtracks out. You also have a band right in the middle of the entertainment industry that producers and movie stars were fully aware of.

MTV was important as far as getting into peoples homes at the time but the video would have wound up being played on Headbangers Ball and they would have been on there, because John Cannelli who worked at MTV kept trying to get them to play WTTJ on there but he was ignored. I think Geffen having a successful label at the time and making that call made it happen faster. They might not have been a phenomenon but I did think hey were going to be big with or without MTV. The song being in Dead Pool didn't hurt it either.

Axl would still have November Rain to follow up. AFD and this band were born to win no matter what.

Maybe CD could have been the big GNR comeback, with people in masses in Best Buy saying "I like that Slash guy on This I Love" or "Welcome back gnr".

Edited by Silent Jay

Maybe... GnR would have had a minor success and become a "cult" band as Slash already talked... Maybe the 5 original guns would have released many great albums... Izzy could have stayed in the band, hence continue providing great songwriting. I'm sure fans of rock and hard rock would have know them whatever. Who cares about the mainstream??

Axl would have made his cocaine baby sweet child video.

oh yeah I remember that concept... A woman with a baby carrying it through customs and caring for this baby, then at the end some guy splits it open and it's dead and filled with heroin.

Wish that came to fruition...

oh yeah I remember that concept... A woman with a baby carrying it through customs and caring for this baby, then at the end some guy splits it open and it's dead and filled with heroin.

That's kinda cool in a sick sort of way.

That would be a cool anime video...

Back in 2012 when I was in 8th grade, I got a Zune (remember those?) and it automatically started syncing songs on there and I shuffled through them and Appetite songs popped up and it sat with me. That's when I became a GNR fan and a hard rock fan.

The label already told managment that it was time to bring GNR in to record the follow up to AFD and management pushed back and got the "favor" of MTV airing the WTTJ video . There would have been no SCOM video if WTTJ was never aired.

They also had only sold 250,000 copies of AFD before the WTTJ video being aired.

Yeah, the bigger question is where would we be if Izzy, Duff, and Axl didn't see potential in Slash's supposed "joke, throwaway" riff during rehearsals. Izzy in particular told him to play that shit again and the rest is history. Axl was upstairs secretly writing the lyrics while the others cranked out the music. It's crazy to think that song easily could have ended up in the trash heap if Slash never played that riff in front of the other guys.

Back in 2012 when I was in 8th grade, I got a Zune (remember those?) and it automatically started syncing songs on there and I shuffled through them and Appetite songs popped up and it sat with me. That's when I became a GNR fan and a hard rock fan.

young buck here aswell. GNR was already done by the time i was old enough to really understand anything (92 baby)

i was getting into rock trying to find a band that really captured my attention...i was just listening to random rock songs and SCOM came on. i had already heard it....however the guitar solo caught my attention this time and it was fucking amazing....i must have played it back 50 times and since i liked a few of other GNR songs i should check out more

so i checked out AFD...first song WTTJ (great song but heard it) 2nd Its So Easy (cool song but admittedly i was more fond of the higher pitched voice) but 3rd came Nightrain and this track embodied everything i was looking for...the swagger and attitude and everything was there it just sounded bad ass...i was pretty much in love after that

young buck here aswell. GNR was already done by the time i was old enough to really understand anything (92 baby)

i was getting into rock trying to find a band that really captured my attention...i was just listening to random rock songs and SCOM came on. i had already heard it....however the guitar solo caught my attention this time and it was fucking amazing....i must have played it back 50 times and since i liked a few of other GNR songs i should check out more

so i checked out AFD...first song WTTJ (great song but heard it) 2nd Its So Easy (cool song but admittedly i was more fond of the higher pitched voice) but 3rd came Nightrain and this track embodied everything i was looking for...the swagger and attitude and everything was there it just sounded bad ass...i was pretty much in love after that

It was Nightrain that pulled me in as well. Just has everything you're looking for in a hard rock song

• 3 weeks later...