For those questioning Adler's UYI chops

He is a professional drummer, with practice he CAN play UYI material and probably most of CD for that matter. AFD drums are harder than much of UYI... Don't Cry was written with Adler in the band. Easy drums. Same with NR and Estranged.

He wrote 99% of UYI material.

no one's questioning whether or not he could play sorum's complex drum fills

they're questioning whether or not he could do a reunion tour without dying/compromising the tour

Pretty much, yes.
He did not write 99% of UYI material.

Wait yeah he actually did write almost all of the drumming material on uyi Matt came in and barely had enough time to just learn the songs before rock in rio. It even talks about all the songs having drum parts written in duffs, slashs, and Stevens books. They wrote a lot of the uyi in Chicago, when steven fuckin adler was in the band. Dont go talking about stuff if you haven't done any research and are just basing shit on just your opinion please.

He is a professional drummer, with practice he CAN play UYI material and probably most of CD for that matter. AFD drums are harder than much of UYI... Don't Cry was written with Adler in the band. Easy drums. Same with NR and Estranged.

they're questioning whether or not he could do a reunion tour without dying/compromising the tour

Pretty much, yes.
Wait yeah he actually did write almost all of the drumming material on uyi Matt came in and barely had enough time to just learn the songs before rock in rio. It even talks about all the songs having drum parts written in duffs, slashs, and Stevens books. They wrote a lot of the uyi in Chicago, when steven fuckin adler was in the band. Dont go talking about stuff if you haven't done any research and are just basing shit on just your opinion please.
Steven did not write the drums for YCBM, November Rain, Estranged, and Coma. There are quotes from Matt about writing the drums for those songs excluding YCBM which we all know was written by Duff. This already puts us in the 85% range. Furthermore there is no evidence that Steve wrote the drums for Shotgun Blues, Dead Horse, My World, or Right Next Door To Hell. This puts us in the 70% range.

I stand by my uninformed (die hard GNR fan since '87) "opinion" that STEVEN DID NOT WRITE 99% OF UYI DRUMS.

And for the record I'm not anti Steven Adler at all. I'm just pro facts.

Edited by TOS--LOA

I didn't know it was possible to not know addiction is a life-long disease. Slash and Duff will never "recover", it's a day to day process no matter how many sober days they've had in a row.

I can't remember the details of Duff's relapse but it wasn't anything crazy - I think he said he started to get cocky with his recovery and thought he could be around drugs/medications without being tempted and his actual relapse began with something he had a prescription for (Xanax?).

So, yes, having a using junkie around could be a problem for them.

''Addition is a lifelong disease'' is the sort of touchy feely garbage American psychotherapists say to justify their inflated salaries.

Ever try to beat Subtraction? That shit is tough. Some people also suffer from Long Division.

But on a serious note I think the opinion you stated is absolutely wrong. There are a lot of psychological diagnoses I would agree with your point but there's too much hard evidence that addiction is a lifelong battle. It either kills you or you outlast it. Trust me.

Edited by TOS--LOA
  • Like 2

''Addition is a lifelong disease'' is the sort of touchy feely garbage American psychotherapists say to justify their inflated salaries.

Ever try to beat Subtraction? That shit is tough. Some people also suffer from Long Division.

But on a serious note I think the opinion you stated is absolutely wrong. There are a lot of psychological diagnoses I would agree with your point but there's too much hard evidence that addiction is a lifelong battle. It either kills you or you outlast it. Trust me.

Probably the best typo I have ever typed. I actually think that was my sub-conscious speaking.

Probably the best typo I have ever typed. I actually think that was my sub-conscious speaking.

It was a good one. Kudos for not editing it and making me look like a raving lunatic! Edited by TOS--LOA

Pretty much, yes.
Steven did not write the drums for YCBM, November Rain, Estranged, and Coma. There are quotes from Matt about writing the drums for those songs excluding YCBM which we all know was written by Duff. This already puts us in the 85% range. Furthermore there is no evidence that Steve wrote the drums for Shotgun Blues, Dead Horse, My World, or Right Next Door To Hell. This puts us in the 70% range.

I stand by my uninformed (die hard GNR fan since '87) "opinion" that STEVEN DID NOT WRITE 99% OF UYI DRUMS.

And for the record I'm not anti Steven Adler at all. I'm just pro facts.

They started working on November rain by 1985, and wanted to include a version of November rain on appetite but decided against it because they didn't want another ballad on the album. They had drum parts for November rain for sure by 1987. Adler was in the band then if you do not remember. Coma was worked on in Chicago but was started in 87 and was called girth at first, and steven adler and the rest of the band had written parts for it all except axl Cuz he had trouble coming up with lyrics for it. YCBM was written in the studio while recording appetite and slash even admitted that he wanted it included on the first album but they decided to hold on to it for the next album. Dude just face it steven wrote almost all of the drum parts I had trouble believing it at first but after reading all the different biographies from the band members it paints a clear picture of It.

• Like 1

People relate much more Gn'R to Matt Sorum than Adler, so why the fuck would anyone want to bring Adler aboard? Even ignoring the fact that he's just a crackhead ever recovering junkie...common guys!

But at the end of the day what will sell tickets is AXL + SLASH playing together once again, nothing else.

Sorum was just a hired hand. Adler's drumming on Appetite and in the live shows of that era helped make GN'R the best rock band on the planet. Steven was a critical aspect of the GN'R "groove" that no other band could match.

• Like 2

Let Steven fuckin' play. It will be smart to get him to sign a bullet proof contract. One of Axl's lawyers can work something out, I'm sure.

It will be a disgrace if Slash and Duff are back and Steven won't be allowed to play at least a few songs. Just give him a chance and see how it goes.

• Like 3

You gotta love when someone posts this Mates rehearsals video like it's some kind of hidden holy grail or the second coming. We all know them, they sound great indeed. But I wouldn't trade any of Matt's contributions on the UYI for Steven. I love the November Rain fill. I love Matt's massive drumming on Estranged. And I vastly prefer Matt's take on Locomotive than Steven's. His take on Civil War is perfect, nonetheless (alleged edits and all).

Re: the "Reunion" tour, bacardi said it all.

Edited by EvH