Will the new line-up sound any better than '02, '06, '10 eras?

The only worry I have is Axl's voice. Everything else, as long as they put work into it, will likely have the right mixture of sloppy hard rock and keen, precise musicianship.

If Axl gets his voice in shape, gets a good coach (and I imagine that is part of the deal somewhere), we're golden. I could give two shits about his physical appearance (he's allowed to age) as long as musically he stays as on as possible. But if we get the Axl back that has a fire burning in his gut, we're going to see some unreal shows.

Judging from the projected lineup and the fact that it might be 10 years too late for Axl, I don't think it will be all that great. That being said, having Slash and Duff in there will instantly make it better than any NuGnR lineup.

Slash is better than the old one. ;)

I do hope they return to the original UYI style for KOHD but wouldn't mind if they kept the stripped down Don't Cry (no Ashba to botch the solo). Otherwise, we can expect things to sound a bit closer to the original Guns sound but beefed up a bit.

I'll never understand why anyone would prefer to hear a cover guitarist rather than the actual guitarist who wrote the god damn song.

Isn't that the entire point of going to the show? To watch your favorite musicians perform your favorite songs?

God damn. Celine fucking Dion can sing WTTJ with far more precision, power, and energy than fat bloated Axl Rose can do it now. That doesn't mean that we should go see her sing it instead of Axl Rose.

• Like 3

I'll never understand why anyone would prefer to hear a cover guitarist rather than the actual guitarist who wrote the god damn song.

That's why full reunion or not, I'm certainly glad Slash is back rather than the latest replacement for DJ Ashba.

Axl issues aside for the moment, I'm worried about drums. The older I get and the more music I listen to, the more I've come to understand how important drumming is.

Matt to me, was very consistent. A lot of the time you kinda forgot that he was even there. Which I think for some bands/songs, is actually the most important thing and the sign of a great drummer.

Steven was great too and played the shit out of AFD songs live.

Brain and Ferrer never sound 'right' to me. When I watch nugnr gigs, I keep noticing the drums, but in a negative way.

Brain and Ferrer never sound 'right' to me. When I watch nugnr gigs, I keep noticing the drums, but in a negative way.

You're not the only one.. at least Frank anyway.. I don't remember it as much with Brain but I haven't seen much from him..

You know who plays the shit spot on is Brent Fitz..

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

Axl issues aside for the moment, I'm worried about drums. The older I get and the more music I listen to, the more I've come to understand how important drumming is.

Matt to me, was very consistent. A lot of the time you kinda forgot that he was even there. Which I think for some bands/songs, is actually the most important thing and the sign of a great drummer.

Steven was great too and played the shit out of AFD songs live.

Agreed.

Matt wrote the intro to YCBM which trumps any drum work on the CD album. It's a memorable signature.

He's consistent as you've pointed out.

You'll notice that Frank can sometimes be off time after watching a few videos where he decides to add his own strokes to songs.

If he was tighter, I wouldn't mind… it spices things up.

It's like Zeppelin – they didn't play their songs note for note all the time or tried to mimic the studio. I prefer some it that way… some improvisation and variation.

Edited by yoshimura

To be honest - when they weren't butchering solos, or putting their 'take' on the old material - the various line ups have sounded pretty good, in fact better than that, particularly the '02 band. As Axl put it - "this new band can play the fuck out of the old songs" - and in a lot of ways I agreed with him, it was like the old band on steroids with an emphasis on 'tightness'. The extra guitars (that were actually audible) helped too.

I expect this line up to be pretty tight too. I'm prepared for a blend of old and new.

It's going to be great to have Slash back on lead duties though.

While great guitarists, Robin and DJ definitely screwed up more than a few of the Slash solos they were given. I never understood why Axl put guys like that in front of guys like Buckethead and Bumblefoot, who can play literally anything flawlessly.

Because it's also about the specific style of playing. Robin is a good example. His style is lyrical, his tone is unique, choppy playing and he can rock hard as well. Bucket can do everything, very fluid but he has his own style as well.

Slash's guitar playing has many sides or qualities: it's lyrical, unique, with the chops and with the right note choices. His sound alone is huge. So the approach for Chinese and the live shows was to combine all the different styles of the lead guitar players to create variety. Slash's playing is varied enough for 5 guitar players. Safari Inn is a good recent example.

You're not the only one.. at least Frank anyway.. I don't remember it as much with Brain but I haven't seen much from him..

Frank's drums sound at a huge distance from the stage... very stringy and aloof. As if he's thumping on an electronic drum machine. I blame the sound/his kit.

As a matter of fact a lot of metal bands these days have the same kinda sound... very hard to listen too. Maybe its a trend.

Frank's drums sound at a huge distance from the stage... very stringy and aloof. As if he's thumping on an electronic drum machine. I blame the sound/his kit.

As a matter of fact a lot of metal bands these days have the same kinda sound... very hard to listen too. Maybe its a trend.

The technical term is "drum triggers" and it is indeed a trend in recent years. Give me the classic, natural dynamics of the drum kit anyday.

• Like 1

For me it rests on Axl's vocals. Having Slash and Duff on board will instantly improve their sound (as a bigger fan of the sleazier classic sound than the polished Nu GnR sound). However, that will all mean little if the vocals aren't strong enough.

It would be gutting as a fan if the opinion of the Coachella performance is the band sound great and Axl doesn't. There will 3 of the best talents in Rock n Roll (Axl, Duff, Slash) uniting on stage after decades apart, it deserves to sound phenomenal. Not just for us fans but rock and for music in general.

Axl i'm afraid, holds the biggest key. That voice on it's day, is so powerful, so unique, the definition of rock n roll which is sorely missing. An on form Axl will, IMO, ignite this reunion.

For me it rests on Axl's vocals. Having Slash and Duff on board will instantly improve their sound (as a bigger fan of the sleazier classic sound than the polished Nu GnR sound). However, mean little if the vocals aren't strong enough.

Axl i'm afraid, holds the biggest key. That voice on it's day, is so powerful, so unique, the definition of what is missing from the current rock scene. An on form Axl will, IMO, ignite this reunion.

It would be gutting as a fan if the opinion of the Coachella performance is the band sound great and Axl doesn't. There will be 3 of the best talents in Rock n Roll (Axl, Duff, Slash) uniting on stage after decades apart, it deserves to sound phenomenal. Not just for us fans but rock and for music in general.

The technical term is "drum triggers" and it is indeed a trend in recent years. Give me the classic, natural dynamics of the drum kit anyday.

So I looked up drum triggers. So...hitting the the real drum 'triggers' a digital sample of a drum? So basically the drummer is playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band?!??

So I looked up drum triggers. So...hitting the the real drum 'triggers' a digital sample of a drum? So basically the drummer is playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band?!??

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. :lol:

However, not quite. It's not entirely electronic. The "real" drum sound is still there as well. How much you hear the "triggered" sounds depends on the mix. Let's say the bass and snare are triggered. Every time the bass drum or snare are hit, the triggered electronic sample will also be heard. The problem is that generally all natural dynamics are lost, especially if the triggers are high in the mix. Every single bass and snare hit will sound identical. That's why it so popular in technical metal music - for those big double bass rhythms they want every hit to sound precise.

• Like 2