Why is Libertad so underrated?

sonofnazareth

Thats probably why my position is as it is, i love pop music, i love a tightly written and realised pop song, they reflect a lot more talent than it takes to write generic hard rock song, which are kinda boring to me overall.

Its interesting that you say you dont want to hear poppy choruses when you buy a rock album, rock music is pretty specific to that structure, especially mainstream rock music.

Which rock bands do you like then?

Not sure if you directed that question at me or not, but I like a whole variety of rock bands, everyone from New York Dolls to Black Sabbath, Metallica to Foo Fighters. I don't discriminate, and love a good pop song from artists that do great pop songs, but Velvet Revolver don't write good pop songs imo.

Except slither, I do not even find contraband 'rock' though, or even 'hard rock'. I find it numetal. It has that horrid production and sound which I associate with late 1990s rock bands. There is nothing singable or bluesy or groovy about it.

She's Mine is a great song. Good driving riff and singable chorus.

Nah, it's awful.

"She mine, mine all mine, she mine, mine all mine." It's not even catchy. Very uninspired song.

Even Slash's solo songs are better than that crap.

I find it numetal.

Which sinks the ship at port for me :lol:

Get your baggy tracksuit on.

How can you have Slash and criminally under use him like they did on contraband? It is like having Bradman as 12th man or Pele on the sub bench!

Yeah, but you keep saying "apart from the ballads", as if they don't count somehow, when You Got No Right, Loving The Alien and Fall To Pieces all feature killer guitar parts from Slash.

Edited by Towelie

Not sure if you directed that question at me or not, but I like a whole variety of rock bands, everyone from New York Dolls to Black Sabbath, Metallica to Foo Fighters. I don't discriminate, and love a good pop song from artists that do great pop songs, but Velvet Revolver don't write good pop songs imo.

No i meant the other bloke saying he didn't like poppy choruses and such from his rock bands. Incidentally all the bands you've mentioned make/made music that adhered pretty exclusively to the pop dynamic. I didn't know you liked The New York Dolls, well done young man!

No i meant the other bloke saying he didn't like poppy choruses and such from his rock bands. Incidentally all the bands you've mentioned make/made music that adhered pretty exclusively to the pop dynamic. I didn't know you liked The New York Dolls, well done young man!

Jet Boys a choon! :)

I find it numetal.

How can you have Slash and criminally under use him like they did on contraband? It is like having Bradman as 12th man or Pele on the sub bench!

Yeah, but you keep saying "apart from the ballads", as if they don't count somehow, when You Got No Right, Loving The Alien and Fall To Pieces all feature killer guitar parts from Slash.

You Got No Right, Fall to Pieces and Slither are the only three songs I genuinely like on that album. Set Me Free is alright - bit forgettable maybe. The rest the album is excrement.

I find it numetal.

You Got No Right, Fall to Pieces and Slither are the only three songs I genuinely like on that album. Set Me Free is alright - bit forgettable maybe. The rest the album is excrement.

You don't like Loving The Alien?

Edited by Towelie

I find it numetal.

It is alright. It obviously does not have the problems of being a numetal song which is certainly one good aspect to the song.

I find it numetal.

It is alright. It obviously does not have the problems of being a numetal song which is certainly one good aspect to the song.

I gotta say, and I'm sure Diesel and Len will take the piss out of me for saying so, but not all nu-metal is excrement. Drowning Pool were a great band. Love these songs:

I can't stand Nu Metal, i think it's the most disingenuous load of bollocks I've ever seen in my life. In fact genre melding in general i think is a load of bollocks when done in this uninspired tack together way. You can almost see the cogs of their little brains working away 'if we rap the lyrics it'll be contemporary!'. I enjoy elements crossing over when the overall piece ends up as something completely new but not this cut and shut approach, it's awful and it sounds really dull and uninteresting.

PiL are an example, for example, where there are elements of all sorts of genres in their music but the end result does not sound like they've just taken half of one thing and half of another and just slapped em together. They're kind of personalised takes on elements of a number of genres, with the personalisation of them being the first step away from broad facsimillie, which are then put against a contrasting element of another genre and then further personalised by unique instrumentation, you feel its instinctive but gives you the feel of something that is thought out instead of just a cheap attempt to make something new through artistic recycling.

I can't stand Nu Metal, i think it's the most disingenuous load of bollocks I've ever seen in my life. In fact genre melding in general i think is a load of bollocks when done in this uninspired tack together way. You can almost see the cogs of their little brains working away 'if we rap the lyrics it'll be contemporary!'. I enjoy elements crossing over when the overall piece ends up as something completely new but not this cut and shut approach, it's awful and it sounds really dull and uninteresting.

PiL are an example, for example, where there are elements of all sorts of genres in their music but the end result does not sound like they've just taken half of one thing and half of another and just slapped em together. They're kind of personalised takes on elements of a number of genres, with the personalisation of them being the first step away from broad facsimillie, which are then put against a contrasting element of another genre and then further personalised by unique instrumentation, you feel its instinctive but gives you the feel of something that is thought out instead of just a cheap attempt to make something new through artistic recycling.

Well, not all nu-metal bands have cringeful rapping like Limp Bizkit and all that bollocks.

Well, not all nu-metal bands have cringeful rapping like Limp Bizkit and all that bollocks.

True. I just fuckin' can't stomach em. They ruined rock music for me really, I mean it was 97ish when Korn were kicking off and i was into my rock music, although most of it was very punky and alternative but i liked Oasis, i liked Nirvana, I liked GnR (which was like liking Billy Ray Cyrus back then) and every time I'd buy a rock magazine it'd be Sepultura on the front cover...then bands like Korn and Creed, i was already heavily into my hip hop at the time (and most of my life really) and the state rock music was in and the direction it was going just made me tune out completely. The next rock album i bought after than, new rock album was Biffy Clyros first one, which was a fair while after that time...still weren't much inspired. You had The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys which made a few take notice but they just looked like a bunch of pussys to me, with the odd good song but not a lot worth queuing up for.

True. I just fuckin' can't stomach em. They ruined rock music for me really, I mean it was 97ish when Korn were kicking off and i was into my rock music, although most of it was very punky and alternative but i liked Oasis, i liked Nirvana, I liked GnR (which was like liking Billy Ray Cyrus back then) and every time I'd buy a rock magazine it'd be Sepultura on the front cover...then bands like Korn and Creed, i was already heavily into my hip hop at the time (and most of my life really) and the state rock music was in and the direction it was going just made me tune out completely. The next rock album i bought after than, new rock album was Biffy Clyros first one, which was a fair while after that time...still weren't much inspired. You had The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys which made a few take notice but they just looked like a bunch of pussys to me, with the odd good song but not a lot worth queuing up for.

I think there's still some good rock music being made, albeit mainly by bands who are still riding the success of their 90s popularity, such as RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, Jack White etc. Scott Weiland and Bumblefoot made a great rock album as Art of Anarchy last year. There's some truly brilliant songwriting on that album, it probably only sold about 5,000 copies such is the non-existent state of the rock scene in 2016, but still, a fantastic album nonetheless.

Britain hasn't produced a good rock band since Oasis, and the majority of that whole Britpop scene was utter bollocks in retrospect.

I think there's still some good rock music being made, albeit mainly by bands who are still riding the success of their 90s popularity, such as RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, Jack White etc. Scott Weiland and Bumblefoot made a great rock album as Art of Anarchy last year. There's some truly brilliant songwriting on that album, it probably only sold about 5,000 copies such is the non-existent state of the rock scene in 2016, but still, a fantastic album nonetheless.

Britain hasn't produced a good rock band since Oasis, and the majority of that whole Britpop scene was utter bollocks in retrospect.

I dunno man, the core of Oasis, Blur, Pulp were solid, particularly Oasis and Pulp...and the rest just made good pop tunes for their day, which is sort of what most movements consist of really, don't they? Suede were pretty good although they slightly predate that shit...sort of. Slightly.

The producer of Contraband rendered everything in the bass frequencies on that record, that's why it has that late-nineties sound. I too think that, combined with the darkness and intensity of the songs, it did a lot to make it sound like something from the alt-metal genre.

But really, Contraband's songs were just more highly crafted. They had a much longer period before Scott was ever in the picture to write and write and they had a honeypot of material to draw from. Scott himself was much more invested in the material. You can hear him singing his heart out on that record. As a Scott Weiland fan, for me it's his last real "rock" moment. Never again did he sing songs with that deep Core voice; the one that established his style on the first STP record. From Libertad on out, he favored the high-register voice and songs had to be written to accommodate that.

To me, that robbed VR of a bit of potential. Scott was fantastic in his singing dynamics. Once he started limiting his range (for whatever reason), he handicapped the bands he was in. I know there were some potentially great VR and reunited STP songs that never got off the ground because Scott said, "No, I'm not digging this. Don't wanna sing this one."

Take a look at songs like All In the Suit That You Wear or No Way Out, both latter day STP songs. Scott's voice is powerful and commanding. It's a style that would continue on Contraband, but post-Contraband, would never be utilized again.

Edited by appetite4illusions

Numetal is the most atrocious music form ever invented. I would rather listen to the cheesiest pop band imaginable - Spice Girls, Steps - than a numetal act be it Corn or Creed or Nickleback or Limp Biscuits. Terrible dreary music for spotty suicidal American kids.

Numetal is the most atrocious music form ever invented. I would rather listen to the cheesiest pop band imaginable - Spice Girls, Steps - than a numetal act be it Corn or Creed or Nickleback or Limp Biscuits. Terrible dreary music for spotty suicidal American kids.

You're such a music snob Diesel. Nothing wrong with bands like Stone Sour, Drowning Pool, Godsmack, SOiL.

To tell you the truth I do not really like vintage metal now, your Metallicas, Priests and Maidens. It is all gormless rubbish really.

I've never really cared for Maiden, but Priest have some good shit and you cannot deny the brilliance of Master of Puppets.

I find it numetal.

I hate nu metal too, but really like Contraband.

Suckertrain Blues has got nothing to do with nu metal at all and it's a good rocker with awesome solo. Set Me Free and Dirty Little Thing are great. Basically all the ballads have great guitarwork.

I must admit there's crap like Superhuman and Headspace ... what an awful song the latter is. So yeah, there are some nu metal songs on it but that doesn't make the whole record nu metal.

She Mine is one of the worst songs I've ever heard from Slash

Edited by Free Bird

I like the record a lot, but at no point would I really argue its "great". Its a fine album cause of the musicians on it. I probably listen to it more than Contraband at this point, but Contraband is definitely a "better" record. Libertad is underrated, but not to the point that its really unwarranted, if that makes sense. It should get more respect from people that like these players cause there's nothing not to like. But in the grand scheme of records, its probably perfectly rated. A rather forgettable record.