Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Do you think it has a shot of earning its place alongside the other three trilogies if it were a totally separate story with totally separate characters? Like they seem to be hinting it will be?

I think he does have a shot. He's one of the most talented and savviest filmmakers around and he's no prostitute; he doesn't just make films for money or for kudos.

I just don't like the idea of a perpetual story, a story that doesn't end. It's what turns me off about so much television. They have to keep it going so they can sell cola and dishwasher detergent. I think stories should have arcs that have finite conclusions.

But like I said, three is a prime number. It's right. Beginning, middle, end. Once you start adding digits, you disturb balance.

I'm totally cool with Disney making spin-off films until the apocalypse, but a saga should have a finish line and they shouldn't move the finish line back to sell more toys.

13 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I think he does have a shot. He's one of the most talented and savviest filmmakers around and he's no prostitute; he doesn't just make films for money or for kudos.

I just don't like the idea of a perpetual story, a story that doesn't end. It's what turns me off about so much television. They have to keep it going so they can sell cola and dishwasher detergent. I think stories should have arcs that have finite conclusions.

But like I said, three is a prime number. It's right. Beginning, middle, end. Once you start adding digits, you disturb balance.

I'm totally cool with Disney making spin-off films until the apocalypse, but a saga should have a finish line and they shouldn't move the finish line back to sell more toys.

Maybe Episode 9 will still be the end of the Skywalker saga, because we know Leia won't be around after Episode 8 (RIP Carrie) and my gut tells me Luke and Kylo will both kill eachother in Episode 9 like King Arthur and his evil nephew Mordred both killed eachother. Plus, I don't think Rey is a Skywalker or Solo, so I think the Skywaller family line ends there. 

Maybe the future films with Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB8 that Kathy spoke of will not be labeled as "Episode 10" and so on. They'll be more like "spin offs" that just so happen to feature the main heroes from the final Skywalker trilogy. 

That would be the ideal imo. Still utilize these new characters to their full potential, but not hinder the integrity of the Skywalker "trilogy of trilogies." My theory could be totally wrong, though.

Edited by rocknroll41

Very cool new tid bit.

Spoiler

even in the earlier trailers, I take the fact that Reys hair is no longer the same hairdo that she's maintained since her childhood to say that she has discovered her parents and/or broken out of the need to hold on to that hope?

• Like 1

• downzy changed the title to Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (***SPOILER FREE THREAD***)
  • downzy pinned this topic

With the new Star Wars movie almost upon us, we thought we'd create two separate threads where members who have seen the movie or want to discuss spoilers without ruining the experience for those haven't had a chance to see the film.

Please use this thread to discuss Episode VIII.  No need to use the spoiler tag.  

Anyone posting spoilers in the spoiler free thread gets a week suspension (just like last time). 

C9YRt1SXkAEYN-k.jpg:orig

*** Reading further will involve spoilers.  Proceed with caution! ***

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

• downzy pinned this topic

This thread has been designated as the spoiler-free discussion thread for the upcoming Star Wars thread.  Please do not post spoiler-related information in this thread.

To discuss plot threads, movie reviews, and anything spoiler-y, please use this thread: 

Those posting spoilers in this thread without using the spoiler tag will be subjected to a week suspension from the forum.  

I kind of cringe every time Rian tells an interviewer that we should all be terribly excited for this tiny Asian-girl character who is introduced as a companion for Finn.

It seems to be both gender and racial pandering to suggest this person is going to "steal the movie." She looks like Dora the explorer.

It's all too similar to how JJ built Maz Kanata up to be the second coming of Yoda. "She's an incredibly strong character," is what he said about her numerous times. What I think he meant to say is that she is a throwaway character voiced by an academy award winning Kenyan woman.

I can't believe its almost here!

I rewatched The Force Awakens last week and still think its an awesome Star Wars movie. I really like these characters and I can't wait to see VIII. Hope Luke really shines. I also spoiled TFA months in advance. Excited that I am in the dark for this one, I should probably leave the thread!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I rewatched The Force Awakens last week and still think its an awesome Star Wars movie. I really like these characters and I can't wait to see VIII. Hope Luke really shines. I also spoiled TFA months in advance. Excited that I am in the dark for this one, I should probably leave the thread!

Yeah I also spoiled TFA for myself months before it came out and it weakened the experience for me. Not gonna make the same mistake this time. The Japan premiere is going on right now so I'm assuming the floodgates will open soon. I'll come back to this thread after I see the movie in one week!

EDIT: oh wait Nevermind the thing in Japan today was just a press event, not the premiere. My bad.

Edited by rocknroll41

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

You gonna get it spoiled for you, I know you too well.

How dark are you? Like, have you seen the trailers?

On 12/6/2017 at 7:58 PM, appetite4illusions said:

I kind of cringe every time Rian tells an interviewer that we should all be terribly excited for this tiny Asian-girl character who is introduced as a companion for Finn.

It seems to be both gender and racial pandering to suggest this person is going to "steal the movie." She looks like Dora the explorer.

It's all too similar to how JJ built Maz Kanata up to be the second coming of Yoda. "She's an incredibly strong character," is what he said about her numerous times. What I think he meant to say is that she is a throwaway character voiced by an academy award winning Kenyan woman.

And Captain Phasma, and the Death Troopers in Rogue One...

On 12/6/2017 at 11:46 PM, Powerage5 said:

You gonna get it spoiled for you, I know you too well.

How dark are you? Like, have you seen the trailers?

Not dark at all. Spoiled a lot today but no one knows much about the third act yet. Im dumb lol. You know me well