Have Axl and Slash actually reconciled?

Just now, alfierose said:

I think perhaps Duff is the one who wants this most, I get the impression he's a guy who tries to fix stuff (he's tried to help others with addiction issues for example). He is on good terms with both the other two so maybe this is closure of sorts for him. However he may have bitten off more than he can chew! :lol:

God, I have no idea. You're right, he does always seem like maybe at the heart of it he wants it most. Slash wants it, but his feud with Axl is/was too strong. Duff is the guy that COULD bring that happy ending, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants it to. To end everything in a very respectful way. Something he can be proud of.

But it just brings me to back to why he's doing it then if its falling apart. Surely he must have had an IDEA of what this would be like when he started. He knew the scale.  So I see it in two ways: either everything thats happening backstage is fine, and actually the no information is us just worrying about nothing. They've got this, everyone is fine, and rehearsals are going well. OR the whole situation has gotten way too out of control, contracts are basically keeping them all there at this point, and Duff is essentially going along with something he tried to prevent in the first place. They are all back in hell and the reason we are hearing nothing is every second another problem arises.

At this point all I can hope is that Duff's participation means its going smoothly. I have no reason yet to think otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gunsfanoldie said:

To end everything in a very respectful way. Something he can be proud of.

I think this could (money aside) be what has finally got them all on the same page. To end the legacy well and move on without it hanging over their heads forever.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me exactly why GnR would do a big marketing campaign for 5 shows that are already sold out?  

And call me skeptical that word that no one is getting along would be anything more than a game of telephone at this point.  No one knows, but the shows are still happening, so let's just enjoy that.

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I think this could (money aside) be what has finally got them all on the same page. To end the legacy well and move on without it hanging over their heads forever.

I hope so, although I question it. I think they all have different motives.

Axl: I truly don't know what the fuck he wants. Maybe the money was too good this time? Maybe he just finally realized NuGuns had run its course? Maybe he truly is over it? I have no idea. I like to think its because Duff finally convinced him that its not as bad as he thinks and this could be his comeback to the world. My more logical thinking makes me assume Axl was simply out of ideas at this point and its time to play this reunion card now while he still can. Hence the reason its HIS terms (some NuGuns members, not full reunion, still bad management. Its all JUST enough to make people accept it but also just enough where he's still undeniably the leader).

Slash: Combination of a lot of things. His divorce can't go unnoticed, but he has said in the past he reflects fondly on that era of his life. He knows its importance and its not a big surprise that he wants to return and end it right. I think his divorce played a role, and it wouldn't shock me if he's taking more of an attitude of "let's get it over with" than a "let's do it right", but again I'm always been very supportive of Slash. He might not be doing it for the right reasons, but he's given me no reason to assume otherwise. I just think the factors are too big to ignore.

Duff: Like you said, I think he wants to end the legacy well. Maybe its giving him the benefit of the doubt if things fall apart that they are out of his control, but I do believe he holds the fans best interests to heart. I think Slash is almost the same way, but I can't deny Slash has an image and money is part of his lifestyle, even though its not the key motivator in his decisions. Duff on the other hand seems to always do things Duff thinks are good, especially at this age. I think he has the right motive for this. I just certainly hope it all goes according to that plan. Duff should be the leader, not Axl or Slash.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

I hope so, although I question it. I think they all have different motives.

Axl: I truly don't know what the fuck he wants. Maybe the money was too good this time? Maybe he just finally realized NuGuns had run its course? Maybe he truly is over it? I have no idea. I like to think its because Duff finally convinced him that its not as bad as he thinks and this could be his comeback to the world. My more logical thinking makes me assume Axl was simply out of ideas at this point and its time to play this reunion card now while he still can. Hence the reason its HIS terms (some NuGuns members, not full reunion, still bad management. Its all JUST enough to make people accept it but also just enough where he's still undeniably the leader).

Slash: Combination of a lot of things. His divorce can't go unnoticed, but he has said in the past he reflects fondly on that era of his life. He knows its importance and its not a big surprise that he wants to return and end it right. I think his divorce played a role, and it wouldn't shock me if he's taking more of an attitude of "let's get it over with" than a "let's do it right", but again I'm always been very supportive of Slash. He might not be doing it for the right reasons, but he's given me no reason to assume otherwise. I just think the factors are too big to ignore.

Duff: Like you said, I think he wants to end the legacy well. Maybe its giving him the benefit of the doubt if things fall apart that they are out of his control, but I do believe he holds the fans best interests to heart. I think Slash is almost the same way, but I can't deny Slash has an image and money is part of his lifestyle, even though its not the key motivator in his decisions. Duff on the other hand seems to always do things Duff thinks are good, especially at this age. I think he has the right motive for this. I just certainly hope it all goes according to that plan. Duff should be the leader, not Axl or Slash.

Good post, I can agree with all that. I definitely think Axl is treading a line between retaining control and needing the others to make GNR work again (clearly it wasn't post Ashba and BBF leaving). I wish we had more promo to go on but it might be a case of be careful what you wish for as far as that goes. It would be disappointing to see no spark of anything genuinely wanted by everyone, not to  say the shows won't be great for those that attend (I think they are capable of putting a great show on regardless) but those that cannot are looking for something beyond that which would suggest a happily reconciled band that will make new music.

• Like 1

I think its just that no one thought THIS is how it would all go down. I NEVER thought Slash would return, but if he ever did I thought it would be for the right reasons and mean the war was finally over. Not that I immediately thought they'd run to press, but I never thought he'd agree to a hybrid and I never thought we'd get Izzy on Twitter saying "at this point, I have no involvement." Maybe it was naive, but I always thought Slash and Axl was the biggest hurdle, and either that relationship would never be repaired, or that when it finally was it would solidify that all the other RIGHT stuff would just fall into place naturally. Obviously, I was wrong.

Even if this is a trainwreck (meaning either they hate each other more, or they just go through the motions with no one genuinely wanting to be there), I'd still rather THAT than what we had. I'd respect them all less, but I'd prefer the band Guns N Roses going out as Axl, Slash and Duff as opposed to Axl and other guys. I can't say "be careful what you wish for" because no matter what I can't see how this isn't better than what we had. Even if its horrible, IMO its better than the fantasy of "what if". Now at least we know.

Hopefully its all just a bunch of worrying for nothing. No reason to keep running in circles around this fact. We all don't know much and we all just know we're hoping for the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Dude said:

Maybe they are going to throw the reunion to prove that they were right all along in not reuniting. This could be a false flag reunion. Just another suppressive tactic borne of the Hegelian dialectic.

Eh I don't think any conspiracy theories apply here lol.. I just think they're probably being very careful about it. If I had to guess they'll start talking and giving us more either within a week of the Vegas shows or shortly after. 

3 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

I think its just that no one thought THIS is how it would all go down. I NEVER thought Slash would return, but if he ever did I thought it would be for the right reasons and mean the war was finally over. Not that I immediately thought they'd run to press, but I never thought he'd agree to a hybrid and I never thought we'd get Izzy on Twitter saying "at this point, I have no involvement." Maybe it was naive, but I always thought Slash and Axl was the biggest hurdle, and either that relationship would never be repaired, or that when it finally was it would solidify that all the other RIGHT stuff would just fall into place naturally. Obviously, I was wrong.

You attached the AfD reunion to the idea of Axl and Slash reuniting. Many fans, including myself, are having to step back from that belief. From what I recall, Slash said he'd be willing to do a few shows with Axl for old time sake. Axl said anything serious would only involve Slash and Duff at the most. I think fans dismissed those comments, because we assumed they were based on them not getting along. The popular reunionist idea being, once they reconciled the AfD reunion would fall into place. But maybe that's how they genuinely felt, because that's pretty much what we're seeing now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vissud said:

Can anyone tell me exactly why GnR would do a big marketing campaign for 5 shows that are already sold out?  

And call me skeptical that word that no one is getting along would be anything more than a game of telephone at this point.  No one knows, but the shows are still happening, so let's just enjoy that.

They professionals. Sex Money Murder is impossible to contain. 

3 hours ago, Babooshka said:

You attached the AfD reunion to the idea of Axl and Slash reuniting. Many fans, including myself, are having to step back from that belief. From what I recall, Slash said he'd be willing to do a few shows with Axl for old time sake. Axl said anything serious would only involve Slash and Duff at the most. I think fans dismissed those comments, because we assumed they were based on them not getting along. The popular reunionist idea being, once they reconciled the AfD reunion would fall into place. But maybe that's how they genuinely felt, because that's pretty much what we're seeing now.

3 hours ago, Babooshka said:

It's just who wants to and is capable to give the fans what they want.

4 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Eh I don't think any conspiracy theories apply here lol.. I just think they're probably being very careful about it. If I had to guess they'll start talking and giving us more either within a week of the Vegas shows or shortly after. 

To dispell the negativity. The reunion chat also harms Slash's endeavors. Even for WOF there was a feeling like why don't you just do a reunion. Slash gets asked about it. Do it, take the money, move on. Everybody's happy. 

7 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Even if this is a trainwreck (meaning either they hate each other more, or they just go through the motions with no one genuinely wanting to be there), I'd still rather THAT than what we had. I'd respect them all less, but I'd prefer the band Guns N Roses going out as Axl, Slash and Duff as opposed to Axl and other guys. I can't say "be careful what you wish for" because no matter what I can't see how this isn't better than what we had. Even if its horrible, IMO its better than the fantasy of "what if". Now at least we know.

Hopefully its all just a bunch of worrying for nothing. No reason to keep running in circles around this fact. We all don't know much and we all just know we're hoping for the best.

I agree, I thought Slash would never return, especially after Axl's no show at Hall Of Fame. I just thought well we have two camps, Nu-Gnr (including Izzy & Dizzy) & Ex-Members. Maybe that's why the promo slogan 'one band' is quite unique & exciting. I think GN'R maybe just too big for just an Appetite line up these days, after all that did officially finish at 1990 Farm Aid. I think with Axl, Slash, Duff & Dizzy at the core, the balance of the band can rotate just the way it has since the Illusions.

On 10/03/2016 at 7:35 PM, Bobbo said:

There's no going back now. If Axl does these shows, finally giving the public what they've been begging for for practically 2 decades, he can never go back to having a bunch of nobodies playing the leads to Sweet Child under the gnr name. He'd be a fucking suicide bomber.

Pretty much this. I mean you could do GnR shows still without Slash but it can never be the Axl & Friends line up again - after these shows there will have to be more than 1 original member in the line up for it to be valid. (IE if the slash thing doesn't work out but there's a Axl/Duff/Izzy tour I think that would still be valid in most fans eyes)

Its risky but I think Axl is done, there will be a two year cycle of touring possibly some new music and that will be it. It does depend how it goes but I think Axl is probably fed up with GnR - but the old guys back together, play some awesome shows - sorted for life. Im not saying hes cynically doing it for the money, he could of pumped out another GnR album and toured for a couple of years and collected a hearty pay check. (Yes these will be worth a LOT more - but there will be 3 big takers of the pie not 1) But I feel he hasn't put a lot of effort into touring the past few years compared to 07-10 around the release of CD, I reckon he possibly feels its time for a good footnote in his career.

What I actually hope for is a black sabbath type scenario where the original (ish) band gets together plays a load of shows and has some new material. Then when slash returns to his solo stuff, possibly a Chinese Democracy band or WAR or something that brings back the CD era lineup for some shows (a la Heaven & Hell). That'd be amazing to get 18 months of ye olde GnR followed by 12 months of Axl/Fortus/Finck/BBF-Bucket-Other/Stinson/Brian/Dizzy/Pittman doing a load of CD and CDII material (some guns and other covers too). I dont see it happening but a man can dream no?

• Like 1

I'd like to hear some of your guys thoughts on this. 

Something I have been thinking about since this whole possible reconcile stuff and reunion talks have started is what if they handle this opportunity really bad ? And with that said, I'm talking about the prospect that believe it or not, that a reunion of Axl and Slash might actually hurt the GNR legacy ? What I mean by that is this.  1. For starters it took DECADES for the reunion to happen, so much "prime" musical time has passed and certain opportunities that come with that. But also part of the charm that GNR always had was that it was a odd freak of nature in music/pop culture history. In that GNR had an unbelievable rise so fast to such a peak and then just vanished (as we know now for many a reason) but what was so unique about this great vanish was that the demand was still there for them and this created a mystique around GNR and in particular Axl but also created a massive "WHAT IF" that always kept us wondering fans and haters alike. But also that "WHAT IF" kept us fans while sad also sort of happy in that we maybe got the best of both worlds, we got some amazing music and great times from a band that we didn't have to possibly see "grow old and slowly fade away" and usually with that is the sad state of turning into a total conformist band instead of the original NON-CONFORMIST band that made bands like this so great to begin with. 

So if this reunion is handled really bad then obviously I'm certain this will hurt their legacy because if nothing else we then had a half assed reunion two decades to late in which most people are going to believe it was nothing more than a money grab. But I'm worried even if things go really good and we get some solid new music/unreleased music and solid live shows I'm worried that just the nature of the beast will let people down. In that a bunch of guys in their 50s trying to take the world by storm usually doesn't happen and things will never be "back to how they were" in the prime days.

GNR always was the star that burned twice as bright but died twice as fast so to speak and I always had that to fall back on.

Edited by amacfantasy

21 hours ago, Kaneda said:

You're 100% wrong.  Nothing is orchestrated here.  People always think there's some master plan unfolding and we're witnessing it in action.  The only plan is this:  we don't give a shit.  And that's why we love GN'R, but it's also why things will never come close to being as epic as they could if they did give more.  I still feel the amazing music on Chinese D was met with apathy simply because the band didn't promote it or market it at all.  Seemed like they didn't care so fans didn't care.  

Driving in my car listening to Chinese D, the song, and man that song HITS SO FUCKING HARD it should be a huge hit.  It wasn't.  Why? Because they never promoted it properly.  Same with Better, Prostitute, etc.   

I agree, but i think looking back, a big reason why people didn't like CD was because it lacked input from former band members. The album, and the song 'Chinese Democracy' both made the charts, but people didn't seem to care after a while. Yes, the poor promotion had an astronomical amount of influence on how things unfolded, but many people just never saw nuGN'R as GN'R. The funny thing is, if GN'R releases new material from the Chinese Democracy era, most people will accept it since Slash and Duff are back in the fold. I reckon many who never even liked Chinese Democracy will enjoy it just because of that reason.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 9:08 PM, liers said:

It's possible Axl will retire GnR after this and bring fortus, frank, dizzy,and Pittman to a new band. Don't forget the whole Stay of Execution thing a few months back. That trademark expired, but it was likely for a band name.

I was just thinking about it!!

Maybe it was their original idea For this new line up

22 hours ago, Kaneda said:

You're 100% wrong.  Nothing is orchestrated here.  People always think there's some master plan unfolding and we're witnessing it in action.  The only plan is this:  we don't give a shit.  And that's why we love GN'R, but it's also why things will never come close to being as epic as they could if they did give more.  I still feel the amazing music on Chinese D was met with apathy simply because the band didn't promote it or market it at all.  Seemed like they didn't care so fans didn't care.  

Driving in my car listening to Chinese D, the song, and man that song HITS SO FUCKING HARD it should be a huge hit.  It wasn't.  Why? Because they never promoted it properly.  Same with Better, Prostitute, etc.   

The SONG Chinese Democracy I have always thought is great! Regardless of what people say (maybe no one will deny it) that has been an unpopular opinion around here... pretty much forever. I have firmly stated that it is the ONLY GNR song on the record. The rest is too much Axl's solo visions, which are good, but its not Guns. I have always thought Chinese would make a great GNR song/hit if played by the right people, since I already blast it regularly played by nuGNR. I have always given that album a fair shake. I like a sizable portion of it. TWAT is excellent, I have always loved IRS which I think is a great single, Prostitute is great, Street Of Dreams, Catcher In The Rye, a few others are very good. Its a solid record, but all those songs I named are Axl songs, not Guns songs. I feel I've always given the album the credit it deserves which is its a very solid Axl Rose solo album but its not GNR. Maybe old members can make some of those songs more Guns-like, but as it stands I've always thought the only song that sounded like the band I loved was the title track, and I've ALWAYS wanted to hear what Slash could do with it.