Have Axl and Slash actually reconciled?

4 hours ago, OTHAFA said:

The original post of the thread claims they turned down the opportunity to work together for a marketing program, which sounds like an obvious opportunity to make additional money, so there's one example. Another thread here that caused hand-wringing was about the lack of any sort of press conference or promotional spots. I know people would like to see the big sponsored press conference (that the band would be paid handsomely for) like Van Halen did where Eddie planted a big wet kiss on DLR, but again that's another example of the band letting this reunion happen organically rather than forcing the issue for money.

I've been one of Axl's harshest critics over the last 10 or so years that I've been on this site, and I know if they did that phony press conference "let's show everyone how much we like each other" deal I would be on here ranting about how fake it looked, along with probably tons of other MyGNR posters. It's a no-win situation in a lot of ways. If you stay in the dark, keep their friendship private and let the music do the talking, it's because they hate each other. If they pimp the hell out of this thing, go on every talk show and get everything sponsored and paid for, it's because they're only out for the money.

Look - the money is what it is. It's what the marketplace says they are worth and I don't expect anyone to take less money than they are worth to do something they excel at. Would you take half your proposed salary to help your co-workers get paid more? I sure as hell wouldn't.

The big money is there now, it was there five years ago and it was there 10 years ago. So why now? I genuinely think it's because they have patched up their differences. If it was solely for the money, this would have happened years ago. To me, the money and personal relationship go together. Axl and Slash aren't going to put their pride aside and get together just for money, but on the other hand they certainly aren't going to make amends, and decide to go on a cheap charity tour. I truly believe they patched up their differences, want to play together again, and want to get paid well to do so. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Great post. Solid points. Lol I just disagree with the outcome/meaning. But I really appreciate having a disagreement with somebody without it having to turn into a bit insult fest or weird story about their ex from a decade ago. 

First.....Axl is taking Taco Bell money.  And didn't he just take some Budwieser money last year for a commercial? And Monster Energy drink money two years ago. And I swear I heard a GnR song in a movie preview a couple months ago.  To me that just seems to show that maybe Axl isn't as flush as people might think. A Vegas residency pays dividends for a band financially because they aren't paying to move their equipment from city to city. 

I don't think bands typically get paid to do a press conference. And if they do - how much would it be? How much would Ford pay to have the big three come sit down and answer questions for 30 minutes. 50 grand? 

Finally, without knowing the details of Kanadas marketing plan it is hard to tell one way or the other if that is a good thing or not. What if it was McDonalds wanting to roll out GnR themed chicken McNuggets where the McNuggets were shapes like band member's faces. And they were only going to pay the band 6 grand per member. 

As for the money has always been there thing, I think that also points to all the guys needing money - so that's why they finally took it. Loaded probably costs Duff money. Axl hasn't released an album in almost a decade. And nothing Slash releases on his own is going to sell a million units. From my perspective this seems like a bunch of old rockers, whose popularity keeps decreasing, getting one last opportunity to make a big pay day. Ten years ago none of them needed the money. VR was kicking ass. Axl had high hopes for CD. So X million to drop all that, suck in your ego and admit failure and go back to square one....no need to do that back then. 

But hey - either one of us could be right or wrong. It's all speculation. 

Personally I don't care if they are best friends or if they make 100 million dollars apiece. I just hope they put on some killer concerts and a killer album or two. 

I think the differences may not be there anymore. Zutaut said Slashes soul left his body. I think drugs took over Slash. And in that state couldn't deal with Axl. But sober Slash and few shows is no big deal. Slash also has his solo outlet and is defined by his own work outside Guns. So waiting for Axl is such a big problem. 

Also whatever Axl's problem in 91 has subsided a little. We know he said he wasnt healthy to tour in 91. Plus that weird quote about being in hell for the last 25 years. Axl isn't as late as before and seems more relaxed, he knows he can just get another guitarist and tour. 

And with these shows that money must help them chill in regards family and kids. It can't hurt anyway. 

8 hours ago, downliner said:

I think it's all about the money :shrugs: I'd wager that Izzy has probably attended more rehearsals than Axl and he's not even involved :lol:

Horseshit. Pure horseshit. If it was all about the money it would have been done 10 years ago. They guys have clearly reconciled, not best buddies, nor were they ever. And until disproven, that's the facts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, downliner said:

I think it's all about the money :shrugs: I'd wager that Izzy has probably attended more rehearsals than Axl and he's not even involved :lol:

That's how it looks to me thus far. I remain in my stance of "I'd love to be wrong"

2 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Horseshit. Pure horseshit. If it was all about the money it would have been done 10 years ago. They guys have clearly reconciled, not best buddies, nor were they ever. And until disproven, that's the facts.

it's both. Obviously they had to reconcile on some level (emails/lawyers imo) but to think this isn't mostly about money is ridiculous. why else are they avoiding media?

and 10 years ago axl still was doing arenas and cd hadn't failed yet... and slash was still married

Edited by spliff

4 minutes ago, spliff said:

it's both. Obviously they had to reconcile on some level (emails/lawyers imo) but to think this isn't mostly about money is ridiculous. why else are they avoiding media?

and 10 years ago axl still was still doing arenas and cd hadn't failed yet... and slash was still married

I think they're avoiding the media to avoid questions about Izzy and Adler, personally

2 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Lol no. 

The only facts in your post is that they didn't regroup ten years ago. The rest is just your baseless speculation. 

The most obvious reason they didn't regroup 7-8 years ago is that NONE of them needed the money. Slash and Duff had VR - who won a Grammy and sold millions of records. And Axl had the "most anctipated" rock album of all time about to be released and was already touring it. 

It makes ZERO sense for the big three to have regrouped back then. Zero. That would have been admitting failure in the worst possible way. 

Why do it now? Because the longer they wait, and the longer Axl delutes the GnR legacy, that big pot of money was going to keep shrinking. Loaded isn't making money. Slash and TC play small venues and don't make much money. And Axl has had three band members quit in the last year. 

This was the obvious time to score one last huge paycheck. And there is nothing wrong with that. 

Take off the rose colored glasses and look at things logically and with common sense. 

11 hours ago, downliner said:

That is a pretty strong statement about why this is all about the last final big payday. 

If Axl really cared he would be rehearsing and in the studio with the band. Getting ready for the tour and 2016 full album. 

I think they were doing what they wanted. Slash likes to rock and enjoy the freedom success brought. Axl wants control and got it. Izzy really wanted out of the whole rock star thing. Duff wanted to save his life. Adler just wanted like the AFD dream forever. Who wouldn't. 

But after 20 years of just doing whatever they wanted maybe it just got old. Whereas GNR now looked exciting again. They recognised what it meant to the fans and themselves and felt like a duty to it. To not let it go out like that. They may not be Zepp, Stones, DC but they are a significant rock band that pulled off some of the most memorable stadium shows ever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

Lol no. 

The only facts in your post is that they didn't regroup ten years ago. The rest is just your baseless speculation. 

The most obvious reason they didn't regroup 7-8 years ago is that NONE of them needed the money. Slash and Duff had VR - who won a Grammy and sold millions of records. And Axl had the "most anctipated" rock album of all time about to be released and was already touring it. 

It makes ZERO sense for the big three to have regrouped back then. Zero. That would have been admitting failure in the worst possible way. 

Why do it now? Because the longer they wait, and the longer Axl delutes the GnR legacy, that big pot of money was going to keep shrinking. Loaded isn't making money. Slash and TC play small venues and don't make much money. And Axl has had three band members quit in the last year. 

This was the obvious time to score one last huge paycheck. And there is nothing wrong with that. 

Take off the rose colored glasses and look at things logically and with common sense. 

Slash and the conspirators play small venues? They sell out arenas all around the world, except America, trust me, I've been at the shows. Baseless speculation? It's a factual statement to say that slash and axl have reconciled, which was my original point, and that its not solely about money, which is most certainly my belief&facts in my head till disproven.

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

That is a pretty strong statement about why this is all about the last final big payday. 

If Axl really cared he would be rehearsing and in the studio with the band. Getting ready for the tour and 2016 full album. 

You don't know Axl is not rehearsing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Slash and the conspirators play small venues? They sell out arenas all around the world, except America, trust me, I've been at the shows. Baseless speculation? It's a factual statement to say that slash and axl have reconciled, which was my original point, and that its not solely about money, which is most certainly my belief&facts in my head till disproven.

You don't know Axl is not rehearsing.

Slash and and his band sometimes sell out the smaller arenas..not huge ones like MSG in NY or O2 Arena in London.