Has the "regrouping" ruined the hype for a possible future AFD Reunion?

I can definitely see Frank and Richard bowing out or taking a break next year as we get the afd5 doing a AFD30yrs tour like motley, megadeth & metallica have done. Assuming everyone is still around. 

Another thing some of you guys are grossly underestimating is how much of a struggle it is for Adler to string multiple years of sobriety together. He probably can't handle a full tour just yet. Too early on in his sobriety. Not much time has passed since the last relapse. Now maybe he can do it but you guys are completely overlooking the likely possibility he can't

Edited by Top-Hatted One

22 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

The fucked up thing, to me, is that there seems to be more backlash and outrage about the lack of Adler than there is about the lack of Izzy.

How is that fucked up? Steven is the one always asking and talking about a reunion, so it seems bad of the guys to deny him and thats why theres backlash. How is that fucked up? Izzy is barely even in the media

Secondly, way to take things out of context. There are reports from people that Steven was definitely going to be there, but hurt his back during rehearsals. Jumping to the conclusion that they didnt "bring him out" just because hes Adler is retarded. They most likely had every intention to.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How is that fucked up? Steven is the one always asking and talking about a reunion, so it seems bad of the guys to deny him and thats why theres backlash. How is that fucked up? Izzy is barely even in the media

Because Izzy was the main songwriter and basically did half of the guitar duties for the best GNR album - AFD. He wrote the majority of the songs that these cheap fucks are out there making their last fat paychecks playing, and they're too fucking cheap to cut him in.

Adler was just the drummer. Decent drummer, but a complete fuck up of a person who ruined it for himself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

Because Izzy was the main songwriter and basically did half of the guitar duties for the best GNR album - AFD. He wrote the majority of the songs that these cheap fucks are out there making their last fat paychecks playing, and they're too fucking cheap to cut him in.

Adler was just the drummer. Decent drummer, but a complete fuck up of a person who ruined it for himself.

And you know that Izzy wants to be involved from where? We dont fucking know the reason Izzy is not involved, and judging from his past behaviour it is to be expected that he simply doesnt want to be involved in the band as a full time member anymore. Thats not up to slash or duff or anyone to force him to join them.

1 hour ago, Changes said:

Of course any collaboration between Axl and Slash will take away some of the anticipation when it comes to GNR reunions. The biggest thing was them not performing together for 23 years and feuding for nearly 20. An AFD reunion will be icing on the cake at the most. 

However, who would want to see a bunch of 60 year olds reuniting over a record so intimately associated with youth and rebellion? I'd rather GNR evolving to something more suitable to the members' age and life situations. That way they can avoid pushing 60 and becoming pathetic doing it. 

Pete Townshend's still hoping he dies before he gets old and Mick can't get no satisfaction, but they have hundreds of songs in their repertoire. Elton John is still singing "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" :lol: 

Black Flag gets back together (well, two versions of it) and they're as good as ever, but someone like Rollins sees it as part of  his past and doesn't want to be part of the nostalgia, besides, he already did it to help the West Memphis Three and was done with it. It's all about what's in the songs and whether or not they can deliver it. They become the audience's songs. Axl might be singing them but they're not his songs anymore.  People like William Burroughs, Allen Ginsburg, Henry Miller, Hubert Selby were more respected the older they got and kids continued to identify with their writing.   Lou Reed still provoked people right to the end of his performing career, Bowie put some of his strongest material out in his last years.  

Whether it's someone raging as a teenager, as an adult, or as a senior, if it's something that gets their blood pumping in some way, it's still the soundtrack to their life.

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

And you dont know that Izzy wants to be involved from where? We dont fucking know the reason Izzy is not involved in, and judging from his past behaviour it is to be expected that he simply doesnt want to be involved in the band as a full time member. Thats not up to slash or duff or anyone to force him to join them.

When he joined Twitter he made it clear that he was open to joining the reunion. From that information, it's pretty easy to put two and two together and deduce that he was simply not given a reasonable offer.

Edited by bacardimayne

28 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

2. Izzy did not quit because of those songs. He got sober and became tired of the drama, to put it bluntly. Izzy had the attention span for 3 hr+ concerts in 1991 (Inglewood), where songs like Locomotive and Estranged were played. 

3. I love Izzy and Gilby's playing. They suited the GNR sound, unlike the guitarists that followed them. 

4. It is acceptable to forget some of the lyrics to a song that you have not performed live since 1991. 

Locomotive sounds like shit with Steven. Very sloppy. Same with Don't Cry and YCBM as well I'd imagine. Sorum's technique and precision fit the direction the band were goingin with UYI followed by CD imho. Now AFD songs no one is better than Adler.

Fortus is muvh better and more versatile in the studio than Gilby. Its not even close. Slash & Izzy have a special natural chemistry that can never be duplicated but I'm eager to hear what he can do with Richard is Izzy doesnt record

Edited by Top-Hatted One

10 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I strongly recommend you check out that 9 minute version of Anything Goes on YT. That song was 12 minutes long sometimes in 1985/1986

GNR also used to do 2 90 minute shows a night. I wouldn't be surprised if Adler overplayed because he wanted to take part in the shows so badly. 

I don't think Axl is against him playing with GNR at all, just not at the level GNR are doing this at and only as a guest appearance. Robin and Brain showed up and did one show with GNR since they left, I'm sure Adler will at some point. 

4 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

When he joined Twitter he made it clear that he was open to joining the reunion. From that information, it's pretty easy to put two and two together and deduce that he was simply not given a reasonable offer.

Pure speculation, we don't know why he left the door open with the "at this point in time". Perhaps it wasn't clear if Steven will be drumming and that was his criteria for joining? Or he wasn't offered enough money? Or he simply believes in "never say never"? Point in case we dont know shit. Not one single one of us until Izzy himself or the band talks about it. I strongly believe Steven not being the drummer is why he didnt go out with them at the Troubadour, he's been saying the magic in guns was lost when Steven left anyway.

I think there was just a lot riding on getting ready for the Troubadour show and having special guests, even being former band members. But that's what they are...former band members, special guests. Izzy doesn't want to even tour his own material and Adler cancels his shows. Izzy's been doing the special guest thing with GNR for a while, so it's just a matter of when. 

We'll see what happens in Vegas next. 

10 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

I think there was just a lot riding on getting ready for the Troubadour show and having special guests, even being former band members. But that's what they are...former band members, special guests. Izzy doesn't want to even tour his own material and Adler cancels his shows. Izzy's been doing the special guest thing with GNR for a while, so it's just a matter of when. 

We'll see what happens in Vegas next. 

Exactly, well put. Izzy won't even tour his own songs. Last time he toured was 1993? And now people expect him to jump back in the limelight for a full tour. Playing multiple 10min songs every night. Izzy will continue to make his appearances than ride his motorcycle off into the sunset til the next time

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The band "GNR" never had a reunion. There is nothing to excuse. Stop giving them shit for something they didn't do.  Axl never went "lets get the band together again". It's people (just like you) are interpreting it that way because its been a long time. It is a reunion - of Slash and Axl. Axl found himself with members leaving his band and just thought fuck it, let's make that call. He knows hiring a new guitarist for GNR was not an option, it had to be Slash or bust. And that's what we got here. The abomination Axl has been touring with all these years has just become bearable now. I assume in the long run that it IS in the plans to get the full 5 together atleast for 1 show, and THEN you will see them marketing it as a reunion. "Reunion" was made up by retarded press and fans.

I'm not giving them shit. I just said it's inexcusable not to try for real and bring the whole original gang together. While they're all still alive and kicking. 

It's not fucking rocket science. But apparently for some it is and hey, let's take whatever comes and swallow like suckers. Which I understand, but to me this is about music and art: sorry, no BS compromises.

I'm happy as heck that Axl/Slash/Duff got together again, but that will NEVER be GNR to me - because it's not.

But hey, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and will wait for the next shows/tour... ok? :-)

6 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

I think we might see both Adler and Izzy somewhere down the line. Maybe for 30th anniversary next year.

Unless the the two of them could commit or were wanted for the full tour it probably made bringing them out at the Troubadour show a risky PR move. There would have been complaints if Friday's show had all 4/5 or 5/5 then only 3 classic members pitched up in Vegas and beyond.

Bottom line is that a hell of a lot of $$$ has been thrown into this tour, whoever has invested the most financially into this tour (and that probably isn't the band themselves) will want iron clad certainties that every date will happen, Slash, Duff, Richard and Frank are reliable, Axl, Izzy and Steven are more of a risk but Axl is the only one who is truly irreplaceable (from a business POV). I imagine a lot of weighing up of odds has gone on behind the scenes.

18 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I strongly believe Steven not being the drummer is why he didnt go out with them at the Troubadour, he's been saying the magic in guns was lost when Steven left anyway.

I'd like to think that too as I have the same guessing feelings...

So agree 100%.

23 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Locomotive sounds like shit with Steven. Very sloppy. Same with Don't Cry and YCBM as well I'd imagine. Sorum's technique and precision fit the direction the band were goingin with UYI followed by CD imho. Now AFD songs no one is better than Adler.

Fortus is muvh better and more versatile in the studio than Gilby. Its not even close. Slash & Izzy have a special natural chemistry that can never be duplicated but I'm eager to hear what he can do with Richard is Izzy doesnt record

There is much more feeling in the drum parts when Steven plays. You call it sloppy, I call it gold. Matt did a good job..the rest are not a good fit for the GNR sound. Fortus is not fit to shine Gilby's shoes when it comes to the work that they can produce in the studio. Fortus has never written an album as good as Pawnshop Guitars.

45 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I love Gilby. Own all his records but his writing is very amateurish and he worked playing alongside Slash but Richard is a better player technically. Remember Rockstar Supernova? Gilby's playing was the weakest part of that record aside from Lukas Rossi. 

Each to their own. Richard might be 'technically' better than Gilby, but Gilby has the better 'feel' for classic GNR material.

Edited by sonofnazareth

It certainly may not have been possible to Izzy and Steven.  Not that I think there were any strong efforts if any..  Some people, not all were able to accept that.. Frank just blows and a lot of people don't like his drumming style with GnR.. I don't but still wasn't going to let it ruin the show.. Now you add a 7th member? Some useless chick that wants to experiment with noises? It is so off the wall and insane.. Just the straw that break the camels back.. This isn't Guns N' Roses.. This is still Axl"s "vision". No far from NuGnR which sucked to a lot of people.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

It certainly may not have been possible to Izzy and Steven.  Not that I think there were any strong efforts if any..  Some people, not all were able to accept that.. Frank just blows and a lot of people don't like his drumming style with GnR.. I don't but still wasn't going to let it ruin the show.. Now you add a 7th member? Some useless chick that wants to experiment with noises? It is so off the wall and insane.. Just the straw that break the camels back.. This isn't Guns N' Roses.. This is still Axl"s "vision". No far from NuGnR which sucked to a lot of people.. 

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. She's probably just there to play Pitman's parts and we already knew they were gonna play CD songs for which Pitman's parts would be needed. No disrespect intended, but I really think you're making too big of a deal out of her.

What hype? The mainstream hype was Axl & Slash getting back together, all along, which now happened. I get the feeling that nobody outside of a loud minority of die hard AFD fans care that Adler isn't a part of this lineup and as others have pointed out, Izzy is hardly missed at all.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Just now, RussTCB said:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. She's probably just there to play Pitman's parts and we already knew they were gonna play CD songs for which Pitman's parts would be needed. No disrespect intended, but I really think you're making too big of a deal out of her.

She was out there the whole show... If playing Pittman's parts include laying synths of It's So Easy and Rocket Queen then I'm all set.. I am pretty certain Dizzy could handle sound effects.. Sorry man.. I wasn't a NuGnR fan at all.. This is great for those that were but this is just more of the same really. She is the straw that broke the camels back. comical.