Has the "regrouping" ruined the hype for a possible future AFD Reunion?

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

She was out there the whole show... If playing Pittman's parts include laying synths of It's So Easy and Rocket Queen then I'm all set.. I am pretty certain Dizzy could handle sound effects.. Sorry man.. I wasn't a NuGnR fan at all.. This is great for those that were but this is just more of the same really. She is the straw that broke the camels back. comical.

Pitman was out there the whole show too. He was playing those same parts and she replaced him, so she would play the same parts.

I get that you weren't a fan of the later GN'R era and that's cool. To each his own and all that. I'm just saying that we got exactly what we were told we were gonna get; Slash & Duff coming back to GN'R. If anyone set themself up for disappointment because they expected anyone else to return, that's on them IMO.

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

She was out there the whole show... If playing Pittman's parts include laying synths of It's So Easy and Rocket Queen then I'm all set.. I am pretty certain Dizzy could handle sound effects.. Sorry man.. I wasn't a NuGnR fan at all.. This is great for those that were but this is just more of the same really. She is the straw that broke the camels back. comical.

I dont get your disappointment. I watched the whole 2 minute jungle clip without noticing her, I read about her here lol. Why get so worked up over someone who just stands in the background and is basically musically invisible? I cant say I agree with having that Pitman place being continued but its not really harming my experience. What annoyed me were Franks random ass sounds he did at some parts that sounded completely out of place like 1:30-1:35 - what the fuck

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

15 hours ago, theconspirator said:

I totally agree. I can deal with Fortus because he's a great player and in my opinion fits better than Gilby from what I've seen. Not a fan of Ferrer since he keeps trying to change up the songs. What the fuck was with the extra hi hat beat in WTTJ??? But the extra synth makes no sense. Why is that role even necessary? And there are so many other and better songs to pick than anything on Chinese. 

THANK YOU!

When I watched the video of WTTJ I thought "what the fuck is he doing in cowbell part? Slash should've smash him with his guitar!

25 minutes ago, Bumblefeet said:

What hype? The mainstream hype was Axl & Slash getting back together, all along, which now happened. I get the feeling that nobody outside of a loud minority of die hard AFD fans care that Adler isn't a part of this lineup and as others have pointed out, Izzy is hardly missed at all.

I actually think the reverse is true. The media have picked up on Izzy and Adler's absence - just about every article I've read mentions them. The whole ''Joe Public only cares about Slosh and the redhead'' has turned into the fallacy it always was to begin with.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BrayWyatt said:

Thats a bit harsh mate. I will clarify my post for you. Izzy is important in the songwriting process but in a live show he is replaceable. As for steven i do not know if he contributed in songwriting but on a live tour i do not think he could be trusted to complete a tour if called upon.

That's interesting, who wrote the drum parts? Slash? Axl? A song is more than a riff and lyrics.

48 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Did you feel the same about Teddy Zigzag back then?

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I actually think the reverse is true. The media have picked up on Izzy and Adler's absence - just about every article I've read mentions them. The whole ''Joe Public only cares about Slosh and the redhead'' has turned into the fallacy it always was to begin with.

The reason the media has picked up on it is that indeed Izzy and Adler are missing. They'd wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't mention this... Also, they have little else to write about given Guns isn't giving any interviews. Again, I highly doubt most fans will be bothered that it's Axl-Duff-Slash & not the AFD5. I'm not seeing anyone boycotting their concerts lol.

Edited by Bumblefeet

19 hours ago, theconspirator said:

First off, I'm thrilled that Axl, Slash, and Duff have finally shared the stage again, and I'm really excited to see the new lineup. That being said, I would have loved to see the AFD lineup and it got me thinking. Say in 5 or 10 years they decide to do an AFD reunion, does this regrouping heavily affect the hype? I think to most people Axl and Slash are the only faces that matter, so would an Appetite reunion even really matter to many people who aren't big fans? Especially without new music, I'm curious how long the hybrid GN'R and/or the AFD lineup could keep playing stadiums in the US. 

I couldnt care less about HYPE. Who gives a shit about HYPE? All i wanna see is the 5 guys performing live and creating (releasing) NEW MUSIC again. They can do that. EASY. At this point i can accept axl izzy slash duff and a drummer. Rest doesnt matter. Yeah, it was cool to see this Troubadour gig and Axl was in a good mood and I am curious to listen to Better and Chinese democracy with the boys but... soon we are all gonna realize that all of this is really Tracy and Roberta all over again. Its not GNR. Its nice to see Slash and Duff and Axl together but that will get old fast. I want Guns N Roses and I hope this thing that is happening right now is a first step and i hope we will get Guns n Roses soon :headbang: 

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I dont get your disappointment. I watched the whole 2 minute jungle clip without noticing her, I read about her here lol. Why get so worked up over someone who just stands in the background and is basically musically invisible? I cant say I agree with having that Pitman place being continued but its not really harming my experience. What annoyed me were Franks random ass sounds he did at some parts that sounded completely out of place like 1:30-1:35 - what the fuck

It all ties together.. This is just more NuGnR... Frank is a big part of it too.. Worst drummer they could have picked.. Pittman wasn't musically invisible.. Watching videos you can hear him over songs like It's So Easy and Rocket Queen.. It sucks.. I assume it will be the same for Punky Brewster...

I think a huge part of the nugnr sound was the anaemic generic guitars creating a wall of garbage.

Slash's amps are gonna be so loud it's gonna be punishing.... Those silver jubes will be hot enough to cook eggs...and duff is gonna be up in the mix, and he KNOWS slash's parts, and knows he wrote his lines to compliment everything slash is doing. This isn't some 3 guitar wank fest trying to approximate the magic. No amount of punky Brewster can fuck that up Tom!

She'll be bent over mid set submitting to the sonic assault. Get hyped, Tom. Just do it.

Edited by Ant

Did people who are currently clamoring for Izzy and Adler stop paying attention when it was Gilby and Matt? I'm guessing no. So why is it a problem now?  What if it was Gilby and Matt right now? Would those people be happy? 

I am sure they asked Izzy, and for whatever reason he doesn't want in.

Frankly for as much as I like the guy I am over his too cool for school routine as there is no reason he shouldn't be doing this reunion.

So other than maybe a 1 off there will be no future reunion of the original 5 because if Izzy was ever going to do it it would be now when the money is crazy and the hype is at it's peak.

Don't know what the guy's deal is but clearly he's just not interested in the Guns thing anymore.

25 minutes ago, bt88 said:

Did people who are currently clamoring for Izzy and Adler stop paying attention when it was Gilby and Matt? I'm guessing no. So why is it a problem now?  What if it was Gilby and Matt right now? Would those people be happy? 

This. They're just crying because Fortus and Frank were a part of GUNS N ROSES post slash and duff. So they come off to some as yes men to axl therefore they would never disagree or express frustration with axl like fans do. Where as gilby and Sorum were slash and duff choices to add, so therefore they're believed by some to be more qualified. I can see Sorum over Frank but Fortus over gilby seems a little far fetched....

On 4/3/2016 at 2:10 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah the excitement  for the whole thing went from an 11 to a 2 overnight...This is nothing other than Slash joing NuGnR... I was so stoked all day Friday. Like I haven't been that excited for anything in a long time.. It ended up just being pretty close to the NuGnR that I could never get into.. Now I could give a rats ass about Vegas and I wish I didnt shell out all this money to go.. I was gonna suck it up and deal with Fortus and Ferrer. But adding the lame chick with ridiculous synths just fucking ruins it.. Nevermind wasting setlist spots with shit CD songs. Better is just god awful..

I hope you enjoy the show in Vegas. Hopefully, they'll play most of Chinese just for you!

To answer the topic question... for me yes. If we will get the appetite line up on stage one of these days it's going to be freaking awesome, but it won't be as epic and historical as it could have been had it happened last friday with Slash 'reuniting' with Axl for the first time in 23 years at the same time. That kind of hype won't ever happen again. But I guess that's life, never perfect.

Edited by EvanG

On April 3, 2016 at 4:40 PM, theconspirator said:

First off, I'm thrilled that Axl, Slash, and Duff have finally shared the stage again, and I'm really excited to see the new lineup. That being said, I would have loved to see the AFD lineup and it got me thinking. Say in 5 or 10 years they decide to do an AFD reunion, does this regrouping heavily affect the hype? I think to most people Axl and Slash are the only faces that matter, so would an Appetite reunion even really matter to many people who aren't big fans? Especially without new music, I'm curious how long the hybrid GN'R and/or the AFD lineup could keep playing stadiums in the US. 

The reality is, it's 1 album. 5 guys, for one album of material really. Point is, there's other eras of GNR that will just never go away and you need other people for it. I could just never see this band continue tour with strictly 5 guys.

Why are we assuming that Izzy will show up because it is his birthday? That is sort of implying that GNR is the most important thing in his life, but obviously he has chosen to celebrate his birthdays elsewhere since 1991. 

1 hour ago, Changes said:

Why are we assuming that Izzy will show up because it is his birthday? That is sort of implying that GNR is the most important thing in his life, but obviously he has chosen to celebrate his birthdays elsewhere since 1991. 

Why would Izzy show up to a party where he's uninvited? 

10 hours ago, Billsfan said:

The reality is, it's 1 album. 5 guys, for one album of material really. Point is, there's other eras of GNR that will just never go away and you need other people for it. I could just never see this band continue tour with strictly 5 guys.

They wrote all the classic material while the original band was still together. 

11 hours ago, bt88 said:

yes, although nothing can come close to the AFD 5, Matt and Gilby brought a rock n' roll spirit to the band that is sorely lacking with this lineup. 

Edited by sonofnazareth

2 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

yes, although nothing can come close to the AFD 5, Matt and Gilby brought a rock n' roll spirit to the band that is sorely lacking with this lineup. 

If it were the AFD 5, would they even play a lot of Illusion stuff? Steven was credited with one track. Of course he could learn it but then isnt it kinda the same contradiction? It just seems a little nitpicky. I'm an Izzy guy too but they survived touring with Gilby and there's no guarantee they'll ever write again. Izzy's bigger contribution was in the studio, live he Gilby and Richard are borderline interchangeable.  

4 minutes ago, bt88 said:

If it were the AFD 5, would they even play a lot of Illusion stuff? Steven was credited with one track. Of course he could learn it but then isnt it kinda the same contradiction? It just seems a little nitpicky. I'm an Izzy guy too but they survived touring with Gilby and there's no guarantee they'll ever write again. Izzy's bigger contribution was in the studio, live he Gilby and Richard are borderline interchangeable.  

Steven has played most of it..most of the UYI material was written while he was still in the band. Listen to some bootleg concerts from the classic era and then decide whether Izzy and Fortus are interchangeable live.

Edited by sonofnazareth

35 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Steven has played most of it..most of the UYI material was written while he was still in the band. Listen to some bootleg concerts from the classic era and then decide whether Izzy and Fortus are interchangeable live.

I have. I don't have a problem with Richard and thats the difference here. Here's a hypothetical- the current old/new hybrid line up is already playing stadiums- what difference does Izzy and Steven being in the band make as a whole? Do they sell MORE tickets? Get HIGHER demand for shows?  People outside of the forums know Axl and Slash, and then Duff. Thats why this version is playing stadiums and Nu GNR were playing smaller arenas. Whats the measurable effect of having Izzy and Steven on board? 

They re-opened a defunct record store, played the Troubadour and built a museum. It's like they've played their hand.

So I think people find it hard to imagine what they'd do with an actual AfD reunion. Of course it'd still be good to have the 5 guys back.

Maybe if they wanted to evoke an era, they should have drawn from the UYI period which seems more fitting; A summer stadium tour, the last time Slash and Axl were together. The band configuration is similar, and the CD sound is closer to the UYI one.

Then if they plan on having Steven and Izzy back in the future, that's when they do the whole back to our roots thing. Just the five of them at the Troubadour, playing AfD in its entirety.

On 03/04/2016 at 10:47 PM, paranoyd androyd said:

it's the final cash grab, everyone realizes that except for the young crowd who simply don't understand the history of the band and RnR in general. there's a few older fans as well who are in complete denial, but they'll figure it out soon enough.

Or maybe people just want to enjoy the positives of the here and now. As @StrangerInThisTown said, the band is finally not an abomination. I'm hoping they can move forward in some way, but if it's a cash grab, then so be it. Even that's better than what GNR became, and having Steven and Izzy back wouldn't suddenly mean they weren't all doing it for the money. Nor would it mean the band was any more viable for future projects.