Has the "regrouping" ruined the hype for a possible future AFD Reunion?

1 hour ago, CardinalGunner said:

Its actually less members on stage than the UYI tour, and 4 out of 6 of the core band.    

Give the CD stuff a chance.. Slash could potentially change them up enough that you might find them likable.

I have given the CD stuff a chance.. I just don't like it..  The title track is ok.. Not as good as about 30 real Guns N' Roses songs they should play instead..

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BrayWyatt said:

I have nothing against izzy or steven but to me guns n roses has always been axl slash duff. I think that people on here are too over the top where izzy and steven are concerned. 

No not really. Izzy was the primary songwriter, and as soon as Steven left the sound of the band totally changed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah the excitement  for the whole thing went from an 11 to a 2 overnight...This is nothing other than Slash joing NuGnR... I was so stoked all day Friday. Like I haven't been that excited for anything in a long time.. It ended up just being pretty close to the NuGnR that I could never get into.. Now I could give a rats ass about Vegas and I wish I didnt shell out all this money to go.. I was gonna suck it up and deal with Fortus and Ferrer. But adding the lame chick with ridiculous synths just fucking ruins it.. Nevermind wasting setlist spots with shit CD songs. Better is just god awful..

I don't believe you. You'll piss your pants when they come out at Vegas.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Are/were Izzy and Adler even really options? Izzy's flaky and doesn't like to tour and Alder's, well, Alder. 

That's is just myth... While you have nothing to go on buy BS from Axl... Mr Reliable...

1 hour ago, buzzsaw said:

Sometimes I think people just want to be miserable.  I'm sure someone would bitch if it was the AFD 5 that Dizzy shouldn't have been left out. 

ROTFLMOA, there would be one person in the world... Dizzy...

This is like the UYI reunion if you want but it also looks like Slash and Duff joining new Guns. That to me makes a new record more possible. 

But it does mean they have one more tour to sell the AFD line up. 

Problem is creatively Steven limits things to an AFD record and those songs. He can play anything his way of course but he's not as flexible as Frank. 

I just don't think Izzy wants to deal with the business side. And doesn't want Fortus money. 

A conspiracy type theory is the idea was for the AFD 5 but Steven got injured then Izzy pulled out. 

But the way Axl is all decked out in UYI kit does point to a conscious effort to put on a UYI era type tour of US stadiums. Not try to recapture the street days. Izzy doesn't seem to like hockey arenas. 

No, it hasn't. When the original 5 reunites it will be legendary, no hype has been killed in my opinion.

Heres the thing. Izzy to me is only important in a studio setting. Live? He has no barring on me. Which is why usually I'm indifferent to Izzy, Gilby, Fortus (although Fortus is sure an amazing guitarist). Now as far as the drummers go? I don't mind Frank. Yes, Adler's sound is the best but he's not reliable for touring. Frank is actually my second favorite GNR drummer, and yes I don't like how he plays on Estranged/Brownstone but I still think he does the majority very well in an original different sound.

This lineup is the best possible scenario because it has a future. The original 5 reuniting wouldn't last more than a few monthes.

• Like 2

The reunion card has been played and you can't go back and un-play it. Things like the Troubadour gig can't be repeated. Do you think the news crews come out again just because they add Izzy and Steven?

Plus, let's say they did  a handful of Appetite shows next year. How do you hype that up without essentially conceding that thing you collected all those millions for the previous year wasn't as special as you made out? 

Edited by bigpoop

9 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

it's the final cash grab, everyone realizes that except for the young crowd who simply don't understand the history of the band and RnR in general. there's a few older fans as well who are in complete denial, but they'll figure it out soon enough.

i'll be surprised if they can even finish the summer tour as advertised and announced currently. the only thing that might allow them to hold on is if there's strong wording in their contracts that state the tour must be completed in its entirety in order to receive full compensation.

there will never be a new album with entirely new material, never. there might be a 'new' token song or two thrown out there, but even that would be some heavily reworked stuff that never made it.

this is not a true 'band' in any way shape or form, it's a marketing machine driven farewell for nostalgia seekers. absolutely zero chance this thing will last into 2017. zero.

Good points. 

• Like 1

Of course any collaboration between Axl and Slash will take away some of the anticipation when it comes to GNR reunions. The biggest thing was them not performing together for 23 years and feuding for nearly 20. An AFD reunion will be icing on the cake at the most. 

However, who would want to see a bunch of 60 year olds reuniting over a record so intimately associated with youth and rebellion? I'd rather GNR evolving to something more suitable to the members' age and life situations. That way they can avoid pushing 60 and becoming pathetic doing it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah the excitement  for the whole thing went from an 11 to a 2 overnight...This is nothing other than Slash joing NuGnR... I was so stoked all day Friday. Like I haven't been that excited for anything in a long time.. It ended up just being pretty close to the NuGnR that I could never get into.. Now I could give a rats ass about Vegas and I wish I didnt shell out all this money to go.. I was gonna suck it up and deal with Fortus and Ferrer. But adding the lame chick with ridiculous synths just fucking ruins it.. Nevermind wasting setlist spots with shit CD songs. Better is just god awful..

Unfortunately I got flack for expressing the same simple concepts. 

GNR is not Axl/Slash/Duff. It's AFD5. END OF STORY. And commercial success means shit in this line of work (RN'R), IMHO. It's all about doing it right and music front and center. 

And so far, as much as I think it's cool they're back and trying and it actually sounded good at Troubadour, it just AIN'T RIGHT.

Melissa f'n' Reese? WTF are they thinking????????????????

45 minutes ago, Changes said:

However, who would want to see a bunch of 60 year olds reuniting over a record so intimately associated with youth and rebellion? I'd rather GNR evolving to something more suitable to the members' age and life situations. That way they can avoid pushing 60 and becoming pathetic doing it. 

Very good point. 

But then, please don't sell it as GNR coming back. It ain't. Call it something else... and even though I see where they're coming from, I just can't excuse them reuniting without Izzy and Adler. It's just wrong.

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No, it hasn't. When the original 5 reunites it will be legendary, no hype has been killed in my opinion.

Heres the thing. Izzy to me is only important in a studio setting. Live? He has no barring on me. Which is why usually I'm indifferent to Izzy, Gilby, Fortus (although Fortus is sure an amazing guitarist). Now as far as the drummers go? I don't mind Frank. Yes, Adler's sound is the best but he's not reliable for touring. Frank is actually my second favorite GNR drummer, and yes I don't like how he plays on Estranged/Brownstone but I still think he does the majority very well in an original different sound.

This lineup is the best possible scenario because it has a future. The original 5 reuniting wouldn't last more than a few monthes.

Josh Freese and Brain were the best drummers GN'r ever had. I'm partial to Brain since Freese is looked at more a hired gun. Was so disappointed when Brain left. Axl, Slash, duff, Fortus, Brain would've been epic

Question for you guys....

Let's say Steven & Izzy never left the band and GN'R never broke up. Do you think they would have evolved like say Led Zeppelin, Beatles & Stones or keep recycling AFD like ACDC & Iron Maiden have been doing for years?

Seems like you guys are always longing for something unrealistic and impossible. Ever heard careful what you wish for?

45 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Very good point. 

But then, please don't sell it as GNR coming back. It ain't. Call it something else... and even though I see where they're coming from, I just can't excuse them reuniting without Izzy and Adler. It's just wrong.

The band "GNR" never had a reunion. There is nothing to excuse. Stop giving them shit for something they didn't do.  Axl never went "lets get the band together again". It's people (just like you) are interpreting it that way because its been a long time. It is a reunion - of Slash and Axl. Axl found himself with members leaving his band and just thought fuck it, let's make that call. He knows hiring a new guitarist for GNR was not an option, it had to be Slash or bust. And that's what we got here. The abomination Axl has been touring with all these years has just become bearable now. I assume in the long run that it IS in the plans to get the full 5 together atleast for 1 show, and THEN you will see them marketing it as a reunion. "Reunion" was made up by retarded press and fans.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

25 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Question for you guys....

Let's say Steven & Izzy never left the band and GN'R never broke up. Do you think they would have evolved like say Led Zeppelin, Beatles & Stones or keep recycling AFD like ACDC & Iron Maiden have been doing for years?

Seems like you guys are always longing for something unrealistic and impossible. Ever heard careful what you wish for?

Most of the UYI material (an evolution from AFD) was written while Steven was still in the band, so yes they would have evolved.

Just now, sonofnazareth said:

Most of the UYI material (an evolution from AFD) was written while Steven was still in the band, so yes they would have evolved.

Depends if you are talking about songs like Back of bitch, Don't Cry, KOHD or Locomotive, Estranged, Coma.

We've never seen Steven play a song that clocks in over 5mins so its hard to know for sure. I certainly can't picture Adler & Izzy playing on CD. The rest of the guys I can. Songs like Estranged, Coma & Locomotive are a big reason why Izzy quit. Hence the reason those songs weren't played until Gilby joined. Actually Gilby got the gig playing Coma in his audition. Gilby knew what he was doing. Izzy just doesn't have the attention span for a 10min opus. As evident by how he can't remember his own lyrics every time he got up on stage with nu-gnr. Duff on the otherhand rarely screws up lyrics

There are two basic versions of GNR. The one we get this year is gonna play November Rain on huge stages in front of huge screens and lots of pyro with at least seven people onstage. Izzy and Steven simply don't fit that version.

So the hype is still there for a run of stripped down AFD30 shows next year, but I think the majority of ticket buyers in 2016/2017 would rather see the song that's the soundtrack to GNR's biggest YouTube video at the expense of Izzy and Steven being there. By Izzy's own design, a tour with the AFD5 will never be as big as any with the current line up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Calling this a regrouping instead of a reunion puts a slight damper on things.  I've seen a lot of comments, not just on forums, but social media in general, where people are especially bummed about Izzy's non involvement.  While it's very cool that Axl and Slash are together again on the same stage, I do think this would be a bigger deal if it could have been billed with the original AFD band.  But if its not happening now I definitely don't see it happening in 5 or 10 years from now.  It's not like Axl will sound any better in his 60's.  Hopefully we'll find out why the hell they just couldn't make it work out now with the 5 band members most people care about seeing together again.  Sure 3 is better than none, but 5 would have made this perfect.

The fucked up thing, to me, is that there seems to be more backlash and outrage about the lack of Adler than there is about the lack of Izzy.

But yes, I think this lineup is the closest we'll ever get to a full on reunion of any of the 1986-1993 lineups. If they didn't bring Adler out for the small, intimate show at the Roxy or whatever the fuck it was, they're sure as hell not going to risk bringing him out for an actual stadium/arena show anywhere. Izzy will probably show up as a guest at some point, and at that show we'll see four of the original five plus Dizzy, so that'll be nice if it happens.

Really not surprised at how this has gone down. It's always been obvious that if a reunion did happen, money would be the sole reason for it. The majority of people treat Axl/Slash/Duff like it's a full-on reunion, so why not cut out "the other guys" and go home with more cash? Cheap bastards.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Depends if you are talking about songs like Back of bitch, Don't Cry, KOHD or Locomotive, Estranged, Coma.

We've never seen Steven play a song that clocks in over 5mins so its hard to know for sure. I certainly can't picture Adler & Izzy playing on CD. The rest of the guys I can. Songs like Estranged, Coma & Locomotive are a big reason why Izzy quit. Hence the reason those songs weren't played until Gilby joined. Actually Gilby got the gig playing Coma in his audition. Gilby knew what he was doing. Izzy just doesn't have the attention span for a 10min opus. As evident by how he can't remember his own lyrics every time he got up on stage with nu-gnr. Duff on the otherhand rarely screws up lyrics

2. Izzy did not quit because of those songs. He got sober and became tired of the drama, to put it bluntly. Izzy had the attention span for 3 hr+ concerts in 1991 (Inglewood), where songs like Locomotive and Estranged were played. 

3. I love Izzy and Gilby's playing. They suited the GNR sound, unlike the guitarists that followed them. 

4. It is acceptable to forget some of the lyrics to a song that you have not performed live since 1991. 

Edited by sonofnazareth