04/09/2016 - Las Vegas - T-Mobile Arena

RussTCB

fortus is hands down technically the best "second guitar" GNR has ever had. just listen to his co-soloing in chinese deocracy. at times it's almost as if GNR has a two combo lead guitar setting now, like judas priest. that is a good thing. it will challenge Slash, just like he always wanted. 

this band sounds so much more like a functional unit than each of them have have done for the past 23 years

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, GibsonLP said:

I'm a big Izzy fan and always will be, but I fully accept Richard now. He's an amazing guitarist and he seems like a great guy. Good fit for the band and helps bring the classic rock sound back

I hate to be negative about Frank but I find his style and the tuning of his drums difficult to get used to

Agree with this.  I've never been a nu fan, but I've always liked Richard.  He's the one guitar player in that band who never had a shtick.  Bucket, Finck, Bumble, DJ, all had some goofy image, where Fortus was just Fortus.  And I always liked his tone.  Much more Slash-like than anyone else.  Just a good reliable musician who played his ass off and never looked for any sort of recognition.   If Izzy doesn't want to be a part of this, and Gilby wasn't even a consideration, then Richard is a fine replacement.  I think he's a great fit with Slash.  

Also so agree about Frank.  Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but listening to clips and all I hear is a lot of banging, not drumming.  Don't dig his playing at all.  Thankfully overall the songs sound great despite his best efforts to ruin them.  

• Like 2

I'm very glad and happy for Fortus that he's doing this tour with Slash, and doesn't have a third wheel hanging around to try and take some of his spotlight again; he's definitely one of the band's most underrated performers

It looks like Axl is busy cracking jokes throughout Rocket Queen's middle :awesomeface:

Anyone else here think that KOHD guitar duel last night was awesome? Reminded me of some old school Thin Lizzy going back and forth. Slash and Richard are very complimentary of eachother and their chemistry will only get better as the tour goes on! Imagine them on a record together..

13 minutes ago, GunsDK said:

I noticed this too. I saw nuguns at the Roskilde Festival in 2006, and I remember there were sooo many breaks, guitar solos, piano solos and whatnot where Axl wasn't around. It ruined momemtum and just dragged down the whole affair. I think at least 30 mins was spent this way. Thankfully this is gone now, judging by the superb Vegas shows.

Was going to say the same thing.  3 hour concerts are cool but not when almost half that time is spent having to deal with numerous guitar solos, piano solos and band jams.  Ugh, it really destroyed any momentum they would have going and bring down a crowd.   Sooo happy that hasn't been happening now.  

Richard is an amazing guitarist. He has great passion when playing, he is also a really nice guy to talk to, no airs and graces. We saw him in December with the Daisies and he came out after the show and signed anything we wanted, talked to us and gave us his wristband when he knew we were GnR fans.

• Like 1