04/09/2016 - Las Vegas - T-Mobile Arena

RussTCB

Yeah, just hell no on Fortus playing any of Slash's solos. He can play on the CD stuff for all I care, but not not classic Guns material. I'm not shelling out $1,200 in tickets just to find Fortus playing the PC outro, which I've waited YEARS to see Slash play. Oh god I would be pissed.

Edited by pugachev
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Torb said:

At least he could leave the CD stuff to 4tus, if he really cares about what he wrote

i wouldnt mind that but its cool to hear slashs take on it because i really dig his style... not taking anything away fortus, hes probably my favorite non afd member besides maybe gilby... but slash is one of the reasons i fell in love with gnr and im sure im not alone in saying hes the reason id pay way more to go see them now than i would have last year

if fortus is one of the reasons you fell in love with gnr then i can respect that youd wanna hear more from him tho

2 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i wouldnt mind that but its cool to hear slashs take on it because i really dig his style... not taking anything away fortus, hes probably my favorite non afd member besides maybe gilby... but slash is one of the reasons i fell in love with gnr and im sure im not alone in saying hes the reason id pay way more to go see them now than i would have last year

if fortus is one of the reasons you fell in love with gnr then i can respect that youd wanna hear more from him tho

3 minutes ago, pugachev said:

Yeah, just hell no on Fortus playing any of Slash's solos. He can play on the CD stuff for all I care, but not not classic Guns material. I'm not shelling out $1,200 in tickets just to find Fortus playing the PC outro, which I've waited YEARS to see Slash play. Oh god I would be pissed.

Ok. You know what? You got me, I'm serious. Slash has to play his solos, it's also nice for the people who are gonna attend gigs.

But at this point I would really love to see Richard play CD solos, that would be good. He was there in the CD era, so why not? 

26 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

That most people can live with the fact that Robin is not there to play his own solos, however, Slash is there to play his own solos, and when you have him on stage, he gets to play them, not session musician Richard Fortus.

100% Agree. All due respect to Richard who is a great guitarist and great guy. But I'm paying big bucks to see Slash play his legendary solos with Axl and Duff on the same stage. If they divided up something like November Rain solos I'd be really pissed. I've been waiting 23 years to see this!!! As far as how they divide up the CD songs, it doesn't matter to me.

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

The people who are saying Fortus plays Slash's solos better and is better live etc. are missing the point entirely.

He didn't write them! He's a fucking employee hired by a man who is a perfectionist who wanted an exact replica of Slash's playing, so of course he plays them with more precision live than Slash.

The has probably practising every single note a million times until his fingers bled with Axl fucking Rose breathing down his neck every step of the way.

But Slash is responsible for those great riffs and solos and is an icon. That's why people want him there and why the spotlight is on him and not Richard. Everyone knows that including Richard and he has accepted it like a professional. So should you bunch of deluded hipsters.

Exactly!!! If any of you read Slash's book, he said he doesn't necessarily write out his solos before laying them down anyway. He said whatever solo he tracks on the record, he just listens to that and learns from whatever was captured in that moment. It wasn't articulately planned out, note-by-note. With this mindset, you have to expect that he doesn't feel like he has to play these solos EXACTLY how they are on the albums.

At the moment people are paying top dollar to see 3/5s of AFD5 the other guys wether they've been in the band 15 years or 15 weeks are NOT what people are paying to see. At the moment Axl, Slash & Duff are who people are paying their money to see anyone else is a hired gun. Now obviously the hope is for somewhere down the line the AFD5 can play together can it happen ? will it happen ? who knows ? But again that's  what your paying your money for embrace it for what it is at the moment, don't over analysis it go along have a great time & stay safe. Did we ever think you'd see this ?  "Not in your Lifetime"

P.S. I'll bet the Skid Row guys wished they'd let Baz rejoin the band as they'd have definitely been on the tour with Guns

9 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

According to the rumours, Forus wrote TONS on material post chinese democracy for Guns N' Roses.

Everything between 2005 and 2014 has Fortus all over the place : Lead parts, solos, riffs, rythm parts, arrangements and even several songs.

Slash may work on Richard's stuff.

It's better for Guns N' Roses, for the BAND, to have 2 great players who can express equally each other : look at the "Wish you were here" jam, Slash and Fortus both share the Leads and the result is sensational.

Giving Fortus a bigger space, a bigger role will be better for the BAND.

That's what's all about : beeing a BAND, Slash isn't in his solo band anymore and Fortus is not Gilby, it's not like Slash is playing with a guy like Gilby who has no technical skills (I love Gilby but come on... Fortus destroys him all the way)

Richard is almost a guitar hero by himself. The guy is like Jeff Beck. Give him more space. He is too talented not to get a full spotlight.

THIS.

richard is the perfect man for the job and his current role is what it should be.  i wouldn't change anything about the way this band is set up right now.  you can't make izzy play if he doesn't want to.  best case he makes some appearances and i really hope he's involved in the studio if this lineup makes an album.  this current lineup is the best group going forward hopefully for the long haul.  let's hope there is a bright future after these summer shows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

LOL @ people saying Fortus is as good or even better than Slash as a guitarist.  That made me laugh. 

Fortus is a solid rhythm guitarist.  He's technically sound, is good live and has very good stage presence.  But to say that he's even on the same level of Slash as an artist or a guitarist just shows that people don't have a clue of what it takes to be a great lead guitarist and artist.

Perhaps you don't even know what Richard can pull off from that guitar. And I'm not talking about Gn'R stuff, the guy is technically a monster and an all-around guitarist. He can play everything.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand, since Izzy departed I haven't heard anything THAT good from Slash.
He remains the Guns N' Rosrs legendary guitarist, but saying "don't compare him to Richard" is inappropriate. 

Edited by Torb

3 hours ago, Torb said:

Perhaps you don't even know what Richard can pull off from that guitar. And I'm not talking about Gn'R stuff, the guy is technically a monster and an all-around guitarist. He can play everything.

I've got 2-3 friends that can do the same thing.  It sure as hell doesn't mean that they or anyone else would ask to take over for Slash on solos with G N' R.:lol:

3 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

If anyone finds any picture where the front row is visible (mainly right in front of Axl's monitor), please post them.

Yeah, you were right there...awesome spot bro!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

I've got 2-3 friends that can do the same thing.  It sure as hell doesn't mean that they or anyone else would ask to take over for Slash on solos with G N' R.:lol:

Man, you quoted me when I said " I'm not talking about Gn'R stuff " and then you talked about Gn'R solos...really? 

23 minutes ago, Torb said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, since Izzy departed I haven't heard anything THAT good from Slash.
He remains the Guns N' Rosrs legendary guitarist, but saying "don't compare him to Richard" is inappropriate. 

Great, but what classic riffs/solos/songs has he written? Writing is part of the equation of being considered a great MUSICIAN. And I like Fortus, but let's stop with the hyperbole.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Torb said:

"....since Izzy departed I haven't heard anything THAT good from Slash."

You act like Izzy wrote Slash's guitar parts lol. 

So all the stuff Slash has done with Michael Jackson, Lenny Kravitz, Snakepit & VR, hell, even his own solo projects, nothing has compared to when Izzy was around?

I'm sure Axl wants to run around but the throne is kinda of cool. I'd use it on one song like Sorry maybe. 

I find it funny that at the reunion Axl can't run around. It's like that quote Sometimes I think God doesn't want this band to happen. 

I don't see how Axl's performance has changed much. I just think the band are more unhinged and wilder and playing Coma etc. Just the presence of two other rock legends make it cooler. The vibe is more badass, crowd is into it. But are Axl's vocals that different? His attitude and Kingness is much more dangerous. 

I do think Guns have the catalog to compete with Zepp. Add Locomotive, Breakdown, Get in the Ring even The Garden and Bad Obsession. 

Coma had a really Sabbath vibe sort of epic Zeppelin Sabbath. 

• Like 1

I loved both Snakepit albums, some VR songs, and his solo albums. All solid stuff, what does Fortus have to compare? Fortus is a slot filler in place of a much better rhythm guitarist and musician. I consider him 3rd string to even Gilby Clarke. Same with Ferrer. Either of those two can leave tomorrow and the fans wouldn't bat an eye.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

I'm sure Axl wants to run around but the throne is kinda of cool. I'd use it on one song like Sorry maybe. 

I find it funny that at the reunion Axl can't run around. It's like that quote Sometimes I think God doesn't want this band to happen. 

I don't see how Axl's performance has changed much. I just think the band are more unhinged and wilder and playing Coma etc. Just the presence of two other rock legends make it cooler. The vibe is more badass, crowd is into it. But are Axl's vocals that different? His attitude and Kingness is much more dangerous. 

I do think Guns have the catalog to compete with Zepp. Add Locomotive, Breakdown, Get in the Ring even The Garden and Bad Obsession. 

Coma had a really Sabbath vibe sort of epic Zeppelin Sabbath. 

I concur. 

Speaking of catalog, I think they need to cut some of the covers. They definitely have enough material! Take out The Seeker and put in Don't Damn Me or something. Even Dead Horse (would be cool if Axl played his guitar also.) I do like the Layla outro between the main trio though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tajandreas said:

I concur. 

Speaking of catalog, I think they need to cut some of the covers. They definitely have enough material! Take out The Seeker and put in Don't Damn Me or something. Even Dead Horse (would be cool if Axl played his guitar also.) I do like the Layla outro between the main trio though.

Defineitly keep the Layla outro.  The spotlight is on the 3 of them, all playing next to each other with the rest of the stage basically dark....tons of meaning behind that and the way they set it up....I think it's one of the coolest parts of the show.

As for Seeker, cool song and all....and I think it sort of gives Axl a break vocally but I wouldn't mind them doing a G N'R song in it's place. 

Fortus has done a lot of great work he isn't credited for. 

Izzy to me is an enigma. On one hand he wrote a lot of AFD like Nightrain, OTGM, Brownstone, Think about, Anything goes. But at the same time Slash gets credit, I think because he worked them into great finished product. Izzy brought in more finished songs for UYI. Slash may have finished off stuff like RNDTH, Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession. 

But then you look at Izzy solo and he has the same scope of material from Bronstone riffs to Perfect Crime type punk songs to Stonesy rock n roll, reggae influences, with that punk element too. And that very much is early Guns at the core. But then Slash is more Aero DC with hints of Zepp. 

So on one hand Izzy seems vital but on the other he's not seen like that by the other members. He's a genius musically but maybe doesn't have the drive to stay in the game. 

• Like 1