Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

That purple bell shot is amazing. Really great stuff! It's cool to see the full stage like that.

As for Chicago, I'm hoping that the rest of the place is packed enough to make up for the dead space on the field. I'm just excited that they're catching the band firing on all cylinders.

Why do I feel like they just chose this show at random to make a Play Ball pun with the DVD title? :lol:

• Like 1

That purple bell shot is amazing. Really great stuff! It's cool to see the full stage like that.

As for Chicago, I'm hoping that the rest of the place is packed enough to make up for the dead space on the field. I'm just excited that they're catching the band firing on all cylinders.

Why do I feel like they just chose this show at random to make a Play Ball pun with the DVD title? :lol:

I thought for sure the event shirt would be "Let's Play Ball, Chicago" or something similar. It's on the store already, kind of different but cool. I'll post a pic after work if you haven't seen it by then.

I couldn't afford tickets to the Wrigley show tonight, but I live about a mile from the park, and it's not built to contain sound. I walked over around 7:45, and the band went on around 8. I can't say much for how they looked - from outside left field, I could see about 1/3 of one screen - but they sounded hot as all hell tonight. Angus' monster solo to end Let There Be Rock was a clear standout, as were Rosie and Shook Me. The whole thing was great. Definitely wish I could have gotten inside, but my view was well worth the $0 I paid for it, and I'm glad I'll get a DVD to show me the view I missed! Overall, though, I'll still count this as having "seen" AC DC. What a fuckin' band. They just don't make em like that anymore.

Wrigley is fairly notorious for it, but it's nice. Whenever there's a big show, the cops shut down the streets around the outfield, and people make a big ol' block party out of it. It was a super neat mix, ranging from families with kids to burned-out baby boomers.

For those of you who are interested, the Wrigley show is already on Dime. I'd grab it fairly quickly; now that we know that the show will be officially released, I don't know how long Dime will let the recording stay up.

Wrigley is fairly notorious for it, but it's nice. Whenever there's a big show, the cops shut down the streets around the outfield, and people make a big ol' block party out of it. It was a super neat mix, ranging from families with kids to burned-out baby boomers.

For those of you who are interested, the Wrigley show is already on Dime. I'd grab it fairly quickly; now that we know that the show will be officially released, I don't know how long Dime will let the recording stay up.

Most likely until an official release is officially announced. Then again, who knows - last year they pulled the Stones' Rome gig because they claimed it was set for official release :shrugs:

By all accounts Brian was absolutely on fire and amped up his game even more for the cameras. A couple of the ACDCFans guys who have been at several shows are saying it easily takes the cake for best overall performance so far. Sounds like a great DVD in the making!

I checked out the event shirt too - cool cartoon but my mind is blown that they missed the opportunity for a Play Ball pun.

• Like 1

By all accounts Brian was absolutely on fire and amped up his game even more for the cameras. A couple of the ACDCFans guys who have been at several shows are saying it easily takes the cake for best overall performance so far. Sounds like a great DVD in the making!

I checked out the event shirt too - cool cartoon but my mind is blown that they missed the opportunity for a Play Ball pun.

As far as I can tell, the ACDCFans reviews are pretty much spot on. Band was on fire, but I was stunned at how little I could hear the crowd from outside. The occasional "Angus" chant, pretty loud singing on Highway and Shook Me, but otherwise it seemed like most of the singing along I was hearing was coming from the crowd outside. Judging by the "dead crowd" complaints over at ACDCFans, that sounds like exactly what I was hearing.

Fuck it. Find a few patches of excited fans, turn up the crowd mics, and it'll all be fine. Band is really all that matters.

But seriously, Anerican crowds are pretty shit compared to literally anywhere else in the world.

Granted. But the visual of Wrigley Field, one of the two most iconic venues in the States? You can edit and enhance the crowd, but you can't change the venue. And the helicopter shots of the crowds outside and on the packed rooftop? You'll get a hell of an atmosphere for the DVD, whether or not its the best crowd, and you can enhance the lower-energy bits.

• Like 1

I also think it's cool of AC/DC to do a DVD in North America, shit crowd or not. We've had the UK, Europe, and South America represented from Live At Donington onward so it's nice for good ol' NA to have a turn. It not being Australia also gives me hope that this is indeed not the end for the band.

I can't disagree about American crowds being generally awful though. :lol:

• Like 1

I also think it's cool of AC/DC to do a DVD in North America, shit crowd or not. We've had the UK, Europe, and South America represented from Live At Donington onward so it's nice for good ol' NA to have a turn. It not being Australia also gives me hope that this is indeed not the end for the band.

I can't disagree about American crowds being generally awful though. :lol:

That's actually a great point - I can't see them retiring without filming an Australian gig for release.

Detroit crowd was pretty good for AC/DC.

Detroit was the best crowd of the four gigs I saw I think. The Montreal crowd was really good too, but I've got to give it to Detroit. Brian seemed to think so too, he doesn't usually address how good a particular crowd is.

They played winnipeg last night but I didn't go. Apparently a great show but it sounds like my city's new outdoor stadium isn't the greatest for concerts. I have yet to see a concert there since it opened a few years ago but I heard a lot of people saying the sound at last night's show in Winnipeg was pretty muffled. A friend told me if you didn't know they lyrics you probably wouldn't have been able to make out much of what Brian was singing.

• 2 weeks later...

Arena shows in the US are all but confirmed now. The announcement should happen this month with the first wave of shows happening in February. It sounds like they'll start on the west coast and work their way to the northeast in order to target as many missed demographics with as few shows as possible (business as usual as far as this tour goes). This happens before a second European leg in the spring and then a few South American dates somewhere in the mix. I hope I'm not wrong. ;)

• 1 month later...

We never did end up getting the dates in October as the source suspected but now the band's management has officially confirmed that the tour will continue into 2016. It's been mentioned a few times during press for the ongoing Austrailian tour. Hopefully the new dates are announced sooner than later! AC/DC might eat my Christmas money. :lol:

Saw them last night, you will all be shocked to hear that they KICKED FUCKING ASS.

Unfortunately the sound wasn't the best where I was sitting...a bit of a shrill mess at times.

I have to say that they really miss Malcolm in the backing vocal department and in general too.

Stevie's vocals are pretty bad but Malcolm wasn't really any better live. The backing vocals have been polished on every AC/DC live release (including the very obvious dubbing of the studio Rock And Roll Train backing vocals on the River Plate show), but if you compare fan footage from any given tour Malcolm isn't a whole lot better. More distinctive but about the same in the tonality department.

Playing wise? If I closed my eyes I'd have no idea it's Stevie (except for Thunderstruck - admittedly he plays the riff more aggressively).

• 1 month later...

I can't post them from mobile either. I know I'm doing Cleveland, hopefully Buffalo too. Maiden is at MSG the day after Buffalo, and I was planning on already being down in NYC, but I think I can make arrangements to still do Buffalo.

Hope they're both GA, but I'm not counting on it.