Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

1 hour ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Listening to the album now. It has become one of my most listen albums from the Brian era, second to Back in Black. It is a solid album. No bad songs, Malcolm may not be on it but his presence is felt through the songwriting and his riffs that Stevie is playing.

It's one of the few Brian-era albums that is truly "all killer no filler" because most of his albums have the three or four good tunes with a bunch of less memorable ones. Pretty great stuff considering the troubled production (Malcolm's illness and Phil MIA) as well as it being a late career release. Probably my third favourite Brian album after BIB and FOTS.

1 hour ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Phil played drums on all the tracks did he not?

He did, but they were on the verge of replacing him with a session guy because he kept saying "I'll be there" and was ten days late to the sessions. He arrived at the eleventh hour and ironically gave the best drumming he's done in years. I found most of his drumming post-Ballbreaker pretty bland - not to mention how badly he phoned in the Black Ice tour where he'd avoid any of his cymbal accents in half the songs.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, glad I didn't buy a ticket for Atlanta yet... http://www.acdc.com/news?n_id=274

AC/DC are forced to reschedule the 10 upcoming dates on the U.S. leg of their “Rock or Bust” World Tour. AC/DC’s lead singer, Brian Johnson, has been advised by doctors to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss.     Tomorrow's show in Atlanta through Madison Square Garden in New York, NY in early April will be made up later in the year, likely with a guest vocalist. More information regarding these rescheduled shows to come.  Current ticket holders can hold on to their tickets for the rescheduled dates or receive a refund at point of purchase.

Edited by Mansin Humanity

1 hour ago, Mansin Humanity said:

Welp, glad I didn't buy a ticket for Atlanta yet... http://www.acdc.com/news?n_id=274

The part that really caught my attention is that there will likely be a guest vocalist filling in for Brian :o They've never had a guest vocalist in the history of the band. Also curious if this will affect Europe at all - surely if the US gigs will be later in the year and require a guest vocalist, then it would be assumed they'll need one for Europe too? And who the fuck do you even get to fill in for AC/DC? So many questions.

Hopefully the dates fall at a time I can do more than one, or at the very least the one I've already got scheduled. I'd definitely try to do more given the unique circumstances here.

Also, I got one of the new songs spoiled by popping my head in here :(

Sorry for the spoilers good sir! I guess with the breaking news that coming back in here was unavoidable.

Holy shit though. Seems really sudden considering the tour is ongoing. I wonder how quickly this developed. I mean, this has been a terrible few years for AC/DC. I'm glad they're calling it a "guest vocalist" and not a replacement but still, how do you truly get someone to fill Brian's shoes this late in their career? Like P5 said, there's a lot of questions that remain to be answered. I'm glad I caught two shows and held off on Buffalo tickets. Maybe later in the year I'll see how the dates fall and what the verdict is on the whole guest vocals thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Guest vocalist? Are they fucking high?

There's so many people calling them out on social media, it's crazy. Like @James Bond said, I'm encouraged by them calling the fill-in a "guest vocalist", not a "replacement". If that's truly the case, I've got no problem attending shows still, just to see something really unique. If it's the end of Brian's career, then yeah, I'm done with the band.

1 minute ago, Mansin Humanity said:

Does anyone have a goddamn clue who it could be? Even just who they think could do a good job? Bueller?

:shrugs:

Joel O'Keefe I've seen mentioned a few times. I honestly don't have any ideas, but I don't see them going for a relative nobody, even if he'd be as good a fit as any. And he'd certainly jump at the chance.

I do wonder if the guest vocalist thing is prompted by the promoters kind of forcing them to finish the dates contractually. The move is so un-AC/DC. If Brian is truly done with the band, then there's no more AC/DC. Cancel the dates and call it a day. That's just too many blows to the line-up and, with all due respect to Malcolm, probably the biggest blow of all bar losing Angus. I'm all for Angus to keep making music with the rest of the boys, but please don't replace Brian. It's too late in the career to replace what has become the voice of AC/DC.

What a shit way for it all to end.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mansin Humanity said:

It could be interesting to see if this leads to a different type of stage show, as I could definitely see whoever guests more comfortable with letting the other 3 work the crowd more than just him and Angus.

I think that's up to Angus more than some guest singer - not to mention I think Cliff and Stevie are more than comfortable just doing what they do. The only major change I could see is them tuning back to standard. I still wish they'd let Slade do some backing vocals. He's actually a great singer. Wait a second...

• Like 2

This sucks. At this point in their career it's hard to make a compelling case to replace Brian -- save for completing the dates they've already booked with a guest vocalist, or a series of farewell shows with multiple guest vocalists.

It's been a fun ride. I don't see much sense in Brian continuing in a studio-only capacity; AC/DC aren't really about the albums... their albums more or less exist as an excuse to tour these days.

Brian has had hearing damage for quite some time. I think I heard him talk about it in an interview stating he got it from driving race cars. If it's gotten worse, it would certainly explain him missing lyrics and verses during the last tour.

I hate to say it but at this point I'd want them to retire.

I couldn't get tickets to get inside, but I stood outside Wrigley Field in Sept to listen. Glad I at least got to hear them if not actually seeing them. Too bad they couldn't at least finish this tour and go out on their own terms - better to burn out than to fade away and all that.

Dang. That crosses the line for me, Mal was pushing it. But Brian and Angus are the image, are hugely the sound. The front center stage tag team. Can not be replaced, very surprised on the guest singer information - what, why, who? 

• Like 1