Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

It seems that both Cliff's daughter and Brian's daughter called this out on social media as total bull (links were posted on the ACDCfans.net forums), so no wonder he's back tracking so hard. I also find it hard to believe that Cliff would have stuck around if Angus decided to be the biggest dick in the world and fire Brian mid-tour. Brian was spotted in Atlanta the day of the scheduled show so the initial reports seem as accurate as can be at this point until the band says anything more.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I'm calling bullshit. It sounds like speculation based on the radio silence and Brian's low spirits. I don't doubt he feels terrible about the situation. Maybe they truly are finding a way to make it work despite the doctor's orders. If this does turn out to be true, I'll find it very hard to swallow. I'm all for Angus continuing for as long as he wants - just not as AC/DC. I just don't see this being true. This is the same group of guys who gave Phil a million chances and called Slade back even though they could have hired some cheap studio drummer. They've always had a strong sense of loyalty to one another. Why would Angus tear that from Brian now?

I brought up the Phil point on Facebook. They gave him more chances than he deserved even though he fucked his life up, yet we're supposed to believe that Brian got sacked over something entirely out of his control? Nope, bullshit. 

• Like 2

I say something smells. No official info, no word from Brian. Brian is a true gent, he would have at least said "sorry, i had to do this because of the health issues, but i am ok, thank you for the well wishes, we'll let you know more when we know more" or something like that. To me this just seems off, the full story is not what we are getting.

Remember that Rudd did not make the video shoots because of "family emergency"...

3 hours ago, Teroz said:

I say something smells. No official info, no word from Brian. Brian is a true gent, he would have at least said "sorry, i had to do this because of the health issues, but i am ok, thank you for the well wishes, we'll let you know more when we know more" or something like that. To me this just seems off, the full story is not what we are getting.

Remember that Rudd did not make the video shoots because of "family emergency"...

It's a bit different. Rudd's "family emergency" was what they told he fans because of Rudd himself. He told the boys that he'd be at both the photo and video shoots. He didn't show up and they had a schedule to adhere to. This was after they'd already given him a billion chances during the album sessions. Rather than tell the fans "Phil fucked off" they used the cover story to keep the day productive. That's no fault of the band. Phil did that to himself.

• Like 1

I checked out ACDCFans to see what the atmosphere was like over there. Holy fuck, it makes it look like this place was mild-mannered when Axl put out his letter that he wouldn't attend the RNRHOF. They're fucking livid about all this over there.

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I checked out ACDCFans to see what the atmosphere was like over there. Holy fuck, it makes it look like this place was mild-mannered when Axl put out his letter that he wouldn't attend the RNRHOF. They're fucking livid about all this over there.

Right? It was the same way when Slade came back - there's quite the group of Slade haters over there and generally the atmosphere is far worse than the people here who dislike either the new or old line-ups.

The band's Facebook is just as bad now too. When they posted the picture of Angus in green for St. Patrick's day people just exploded in the comments about how it was pathetic that they'd waste a post on that and not tell us what's going on. Suddenly, the way GNR operates doesn't seem so bad. :lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree with people, replacing Brian is bullshit

I think it depends on how far it goes. If it's a contractual obligation to do these dates and Brian is unable it's one thing. If Angus is thinking of keeping AC/DC going without Brian for some amount of time, I agree that it's fucked up. 

Very few bands are lucky enough to have lightning strike twice, and ACDC with Brian replacing Brian is like the best example of that.

I really can't see them/Angus getting another full time frontman- surely it's Brian or bust (no pun intended)...it's too late in the game for a new singer.

• Like 2

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/petitioners_call_for_ac_dc_to_stop_touring_entirely

A petition has been set up on change.org asking for the band to stop touring. Not that Angus or management will give two shits about an online petition, but the fact that it came to this shows how poor the situation is being handled. Talk about a shit show!

• Like 1

Abstract idea here, but hear me out...

one of of my friends on Facebook posted an article about the Jim Breuer crap. I responded with my two cents, and one of his friends responded that Brian would be doing Europe. I asked his source, and he said his brother is part of the crew. So, excluding the possibility that he's full of shit, we've only been told North America will be postponed and possibility with a guest vocalist. No mention of Europe whatsoever, which makes it seem Europe will go ahead 100% as planned. Europe is open air gigs, while North America is all indoors. There are reports, from my limited understanding given that I haven't been following this leg, that Brian has been struggling considerably more in the rhythm department, I.e he's having a harder time hearing his monitor mix. It's more or less a fact that sounder in boomier and less clear in an indoor venue, not to mention the sound doesn't have the space to dissipate so it's usually louder. Is it maybe possible these shows are being rescheduled for late Summer so they can do outdoor venues and keep Brian onboard, and only mentioned the possibility of a guest vocalist essentially as a warning that it's an outside possibility? Not saying it's guaranteed to happen, but I think it's possible...

• Like 1

It will look cheesy, but if Brian wants to be out for medical reasons, then I guess they should hire some who can sing similar to him, there are many fans on youtube who have covered AC/DC songs in an amazing way, so they deserve a chance rather than some "known famous" singer who will basically fuck up the songs.

@Powerage5 That's not the first I've heard of that theory. It was also mentioned in one of the threads on ACDCfans.net that the trouble is more to do with indoor vs. outdoor acoustics. Early in the tour last year Brian would fall off time sometimes but it seemed like he was intentionally offsetting some lines to better control his breathing. Obviously at his age he's going to restructure the way he sings to keep his voice going. However, now it would seems that it was indeed ear monitor problems. He blew his left ear drum racing in 2013 so this is his first tour since so it probably took some getting used to. He started off this arena leg fairly rough so the theory definitely makes sense. It just adds up too much. Maybe they're truly trying to figure out how to reschedule the shows for outdoor venues and that's why Europe hasn't been postponed.

3 hours ago, Slash787 said:

It will look cheesy, but if Brian wants to be out for medical reasons, then I guess they should hire some who can sing similar to him, there are many fans on youtube who have covered AC/DC songs in an amazing way, so they deserve a chance rather than some "known famous" singer who will basically fuck up the songs.

I wouldn't want them to go the "tribute band singer" route even if they planned to go for a full time brand new singer. The problem is that they all imitate Brian's "Razor's Edge/Donald Duck" vocal and it borders on parody even though I've seen some good AC/DC tribute bands over the years. Nobody can nail his early eighties vocals. That's my favourite rock voice of all time. Brian was a perfect fit for the band because he sounded nothing Bon and yet everything like AC/DC. The hypothetical new singer would need to have the range and a great voice that fits the material but that also doesn't border on an imitation. That said, I don't want them to get a new singer. It's quite literally Brian or Bust.

• Like 1

AC/DC with a new singer, at this point of the game, replacing Brian, losing Malcolm and dumping Phil Rudd, makes absolutely no sense. There is no real long term future for AC/DC anyways. Most likely this will be their last tour, or at least the last one before the farewell tour. Why the hell stain your history with a last tour with a guest singer, your nephew as the rhythm guitar player and their 90's drummer who recorded ONE album with them? Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Slater and Stevie Young seems like he's doing a great job but when you don't have Brian, it's just angus there. 

16 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I love Chris Slater [sic] and Stevie Young seems like he's doing a great job but when you don't have Brian, it's just angus there. 

Poor Cliff :(  Somewhere between 38 and 39 years of loyal service in AC/DC, if I remember correctly,  and he seemingly counts for jack shit with the fans :lol: Hardly a mention.

Powerage5, I really really REALLY hope your theory is correct. I want to see them one more time, and with Brian. If that's not the case, I would be totally infuriated if Brian played with AC/DC in Europe, after canceling the last few American shows, one of which I was to attend, and then played Europe like nothing was wrong, just to have a tribute band singer come finish in America. 

Even if the finishing of the tour is a contractual obligation or whatever, I would hope that they would just be able and willing to pay the cancellation fee and just end the tour, rather than have AC/DC's final days be played out without Brian. I would hope the feelings of legacy and integrity would mean more. But that's me being an idealist. 

Edited by DirtyDeeds

2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

They should allow Brian to tour. He can wear ear plugs or something. 

He has been using in-ear monitors since at least 1990. These days they can cancel out like 40 decibels out outside noise and the in-ear mix can be set to however you want it. If he wants to hear nothing but Slade, himself, and Angus then he can. That's the weird thing - he's as safe as he can be onstage. Another reason why P5's theory makes a lot of sense.

I'm calling it now. They'll play Europe as scheduled with Brian as well as a couple yet-to-be-added North American outdoor shows to hit some extra markets in late summer. That'll all be done with Brian. The remaining arena shows will be rescheduled for the fall with a guest singer just to hit the contractual obligation.

The guest singer will be none other than Axl Rose and the 10 arena dates will be scheduled accordingly around the Guns N' Roses commitments. After all, the band is known to still be in Atlanta. Axl is too - perhaps taking part in those meetings that AC/DC Brazil said would happen. Slade's son Jack made a comment on the ACDCFans forum about the Axl Atlanta business too. Granted, he likes to play around (as he did before Slade was announced back) but it's something.

You read it here first. ;)

If my outlandish prediction turns out to be true the best part will be watching the meltdown over at ACDCFans. Their entire forum community will need to be put on suicide watch.

• Like 2

At the secret Dropkick Murphys gig tonight in a club, they had their crew as an opening act, and all they did was obscure Bon era songs. Whoever their vocal tech is could totally be a guest vocalist for AC/DC even though no one knows who he is. He had a Brian-esque voice but the energy of Bon, and it was fucking good