What the hell is up with song temps?

18 hours ago, highvoltage said:

THANK YOU! This has been my number one complaint since the reunion started. I was blaming Frank initially, but as others have said - I think it must be a collective decision to play the songs at a faster tempo.

You could even hear Angus struggling with it at Coachella! :lol: 

Practice time was never an issue for these guys or any band for that matter. They work those issues out before they play their first major show to kick off a huge tour. 

Its very hard to witness the band fall apart on stage so often. Makes it very difficult to enjoy the show especially if you paid thousands to see them in person. 

15 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

If I were in the band I would rip Frank Ferrer a new one. To the point of a fist fight. I can't imagine anything worse for a guitarist than to have the drummer fuck up your performance during a concert. I would be pissed.

Unfortunately for GNR, The boss (Axl) likes this guy. I have no idea why.

Because unlike the other guys Axl doesn't play an instrument except for the ocassional piano. I mean this is the same guy that though a hack like Paul Tobias was fit for gnr and we know how a professional like Slash reacted to the idea 

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The click can run in anyone's ear monitors. So when the next song is up, SCOM for example, they can just run the click in both Frank and Slash's ears. I have a bootleg of Pink Floyd rehearsing The Wall for that tour and it's got all the in ear monitors mixed in. When they go to start songs like Mother and Young Lust, you can hear the click running in Waters' or Gilmour's ear monitor.

While a decent theory, I don't believe Slash has a click playing in his ear. And that still wouldn't explain how he can just go for as long as he wants in the slow part of Coma.

Watch any videos of Sweet Child or Paradise City, they're never the EXACT same tempo from show-to-show. The Chinese Democracy songs always are.

15 hours ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

You people are so dumb they're playing at the speed they want to play at, Frank isn't fucking it up, thats so dumb. You don't think during rehearsals they would have told him to slow down if they wanted him to??? I want Matt or Steven to but come on Frank is 100% capable of playing these songs at any speed they want him to.

Rehearsals don't prepare you for nerves and losing focus live 

It's one thing to play AFD uptempo but not November Rain. Less in more in some cases and Sorum understood that better than anyone and it is the reason slash and duff kept bringing him back despite the fact that he can be a didk at times 

It's DEFINTELY intentional.
Like someone already said, Frank had no problem in the past with Gn'R songs. Considering also his background, it would be insane to think that he has sort of difficulties in time-keeping. The man would have been kicked out at the rehearsals indeed, in this case.

Maybe they want a rougher and punkish sound, so that's why they're playing faster. I prefere more the way he played in the 2009-2014 era, tbh.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, slitherz said:

Why since reunion song tempos are way too fast? Frank had no problem with tempos during previous tours, so what's the problem? Could be that Slash and Duff wanted to play them faster?

Faster the tempo the more songs they can fit in a set. 

12 minutes ago, Torb said:

It's DEFINTELY intentional.
Like someone already said, Frank had no problem in the past with Gn'R songs. Considering also his background, it would be insane to think that he has sort of difficulties in time-keeping. The man would have been kicked out at the rehearsals indeed, in this case.

Maybe they want a rougher and punkish sound, so that's why they're playing faster. I prefere more the way he played in the 2009-2014 era, tbh.

This isn't the Misfits/Ramones where playing the songs faster than the record for added energy live works. Misfits don't have a diverse repertoire of songs like November Rain

• Like 1

Just now, Top-Hatted One said:

This isn't the Misfits/Ramones where playing the songs faster than the record for added energy live works. Misfits don't have a diverse repertoire of songs like November Rain

I know man, and I agree with you. I really hope they'll wake up and notice that this is unappropriate for the Gn'R sound.

2 minutes ago, Torb said:

I know man, and I agree with you. I really hope they'll wake up and notice that this is unappropriate for the Gn'R sound.

I am sure there are certain musicians on the stage that notice.. Unfortunately they probably have no say in doing anything to rectify it..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

How many more songs can you possibly fit in by playing a little faster at times? 

1 or 2? Is it worth compromising the entire show to add a few minutes? And comprising Axl's 54yr old voice?

True. Now that Axl seems more confident and with more breath, it's a shame. I think he could give the 101% if only the tempos would be right.

I don't know what was going on at the Coachella show, but Vegas, especially the second night, sounded so much better. From what I have heard on youtube, the sound was just...off. Slash's tone frequently sounded like he was playing through a practice amp in a pawn shop. And he was also really sloppy. Way more sloppy than I am used to hearing, so much so that in another thread a poster speculated that he was under the influence. For now I suspect it was a technical issue and perhaps he couldn't hear himself very well. But the sound definitely needs some work. Even at the Vegas show, there were times when Fortus' volume was stepping all over Slash.

Edited by Gorthar

26 minutes ago, Gorthar said:

Even at the Vegas show, there were times when Fortus' volume was stepping all over Slash.

This began at the Troubadour.  Go back and watch It's So Easy

Homework assignment for Frank and Fortus.. WATCH and LEARN..

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

This began at the Troubadour.  Go back and watch It's So Easy

Homework assignment for Frank and Fortus.. WATCH and LEARN..

I don't think i will go and see hybrid Guns, i don't want to be disappointed, unless of course things get better, thats if they even play in the UK.:(I'll wait for SMKC...

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

You people are straight up stupid. Think Slash is back on shit because of a few flubs? Fuck right off

I hope this wasn't directed at me, because that is not what I'm thinking.

And I haven't even seen anyone say that.

Edited by Babooshka

3 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Why are some people saying that Frank has always been good prior to the reunion? He has always sucked. People are noticing it now because Slash is back in the band and we have an expectation of what a classic GNR performance is supposed to sound like. 

This and I know many die hard nu-gnr(Axl-nuthuggers) as they were called back then that lost interest complete interest in the band once Frank, humble and DJ joined.  Heck they even started clamoring for a reunion with Slash after spending over a decade dragging his name through the mud in defense of Axl and nu-guns

5 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I don't think i will go and see hybrid Guns, i don't want to be disappointed, unless of course things get better, thats if they even play in the UK.:(I'll wait for SMKC...

I bought tickets for the San Diego show. Had I known how bad they were going to sound, I might have passed. The good thing is the concert isn't till August so hopefully there is s miracle and Adler performs for a few songs in that show, That alone would be worth the price of admission.  I don't want to listen to a Speedy Gonzalez version of Guns.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

So post whatever it is you are thinking

Indeed

Now that people pointed all this out, I notice the increased tempo. It doesn't bother me too much but hope they work on it for slower songs. To those saying this band doesn't mesh musically, I strongly disagree but that is totally ok.

To say Slash is on alcohol or smack again, though, because he misses a few notes and isn't as gelled with this band after 4 shows than he is with his own solo band after a couple hundred is pretty terrible

• Like 1

It wasn't going to last but Finck, Buckethead and Brain made for a great band in studio and live especially once Finck tighten up his playing of the classics. Brain was a  different style drummer than what GN'R was used to with Tim Alexander/Primus background vs a traditional rock drummer background. However Brain is a master at tempo. Never was able to get You Could be Mine right like Matt Sorum but he nailed the rest without overplaying. If you know anything about drumming you'd notice his HUGE SNARE sound. His work on CD was phenomenal and really fit the direction of that album and what gnr was becoming