GA Pit Arrival time recommendations?

1 minute ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

depends if said bear lives in a society with useless laws, pointless rules and people that get offended by every little thing, such as beer in the pit or shit in the woods lol

Literal LOL....nice :)

Yes, you can bring beer in the pit

• Like 1

Could anyone post their overall pit experiences so far?  I just upgraded. Have no intentions of lining up hours in advance. Probably will try to get in a little before Wolfmother. What can I expect? Don't need to be on the rails, but maybe a spot further down the stage will be open at that time. 

7 hours ago, mrw80 said:

Obviously if you can find first row tickets in the center sections, that's awesome. Nothing like that has been available for my show (unless they release more tickets). Even standing at the back of the pit is still obviously great. I'd love to be on the rail, but I don't think I am gonna worry about it. 

Oh no, I'm not center stage lol. But still, I mean, idk. Maybe the pit is worth it. I've never been in one. I just always logically thought it was better to sit first or second row since it's basically as close (unless you're right up against the stage) and you don't have to stand for hours or get there super early. 

If you're by yourself, it's pretty easy to get up close to the rail, even right before the show starts.  In Vegas, I was able to get 2nd row behind the rail, close to center stage, about 15 minutes before G N'R came on but lost my friends in the mix, so I ended up going back about 8-9 "rows" to hang out with them.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

If you're by yourself, it's pretty easy to get up close to the rail, even right before the show starts.  In Vegas, I was able to get 2nd row behind the rail, close to center stage, about 15 minutes before G N'R came on but lost my friends in the mix, so I ended up going back about 8-9 "rows" to hang out with them.

Yah thanks asshole.  We kept looking for you and then said fuck it :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrw80 said:

Could anyone post their overall pit experiences so far?  I just upgraded. Have no intentions of lining up hours in advance. Probably will try to get in a little before Wolfmother. What can I expect? Don't need to be on the rails, but maybe a spot further down the stage will be open at that time. 

If it's anything like Vegas and you're by yourself, you can get up close.  The crowd seems to "loosen up" after the opening act, so lots of room to maneuver your way up close if you're by yourself....it gets harder to do if you have 2 people...any more than that, you might end up pissing people off......but if it's just you, most people don't care or assume that you are already there, with other people, etc.

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Yah thanks asshole.  We kept looking for you and then said fuck it :)

:lol:

Yeah, that part is a little "foggy".

I got up pretty close then couldn't find anybody so made my way back.  Actually saw Black Sabbath....he was on the rail, center stage and I was probably 3-4 people to the side of him, a row back.

20 hours ago, Nintari said:

Oh no, I'm not center stage lol. But still, I mean, idk. Maybe the pit is worth it. I've never been in one. I just always logically thought it was better to sit first or second row since it's basically as close (unless you're right up against the stage) and you don't have to stand for hours or get there super early. 

I agree with you. I've watched videos from angles that show the pits, and from what I can see the crowd is jam packed even with the stage, and then there is a huge open space in the back. I think there's benefit to having that front row seat, even if you're off to the side. I may end up hanging in the back of the pit off to that side anyway if I can't get up close enough 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I was in the back of the pit for Chicago 2. Still a great view 

When did you find that it started really filling in?

was there room to breathe in the back where you were?

7 minutes ago, mrw80 said:

When did you find that it started really filling in?

was there room to breathe in the back where you were?

It was already packed when we got in the pit but there was still room to breathe

On 7/1/2016 at 11:14 PM, k12 said:

for Detroit I got to the Pit around 8:30 right when Alice was starting, I got a pretty good spot close the center maybe 6 or 7 people were in front of me, during the intermission I took a piss got back and I basically had the same spot and GNR went on about 10 minutes after I got back, of course as soon as GNR came on everyone was crowding in the center and I am sure it was alot more difficult to get a good spot

I am willing to bet for the bigger shows like Chicago, NY, LA you are going to have to get early and hold fort on your position and either hold your piss in or hope a friend you are with is able to hold your spot, I do not think Detroit sold out of the pit as I was able to get it about 20 minutes before the show started so I am willing to bet those shows who have sold out the pit are going to have alot more people

question, how do you manage to get back to your same spot at front after taking a piss? pretty impossible isn't it

26 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

question, how do you manage to get back to your same spot at front after taking a piss? pretty impossible isn't it

I wasn't in the front, like I said maybe 3 people away from the cat walk 6 or 7 deep, after the opening act people are milling around and you are able to get back in your spot if there are not alot of people

I was in Chicago for both shows, and it was DEFINITELY alot harder to get a good spot, as I said unless you are going to be an asshole and squeeze your way in, you are going to have to get early and hold fort on your position

1 hour ago, OutTaGetMesomeNightrain said:

I was at the 2nd Chicago show, however, based on the feedback I got from the people I was waiting with, the situation for the GA lines at the first show was the exact same.

I usually get the GA shows extremely early so I can get a spot on the rail.  Based on my research here, I decided to get there around 2 o'clock (doors at 6PM) about 5-7 hours after I normally would.  When I arrived at 2:15 I was very worried I was late.  However, when I found the 'line', I found out I was the 7th person there....7th.  I didn't even think I was in the right place.  There were like 10 entry lines.  So, I was still 1st in a line. 

People didn't' really even start getting there until about an hour and half before and even then, I would say it wasn't until about 50 minutes before doors did the lines start to get full.   Once again, this was the same story on Friday night to a SOLD OUT Soldier field, per the information from the first  6 people I was waiting with....for 2 hours without anyone else there.

To add to this, even after being down in the PIT at my 'coveted' rail spot, you probably could have gotten in there 45 minutes to an hour later and still been damn close/had a rail spot at one of the ends.  Most people were getting beer or merch or just standing around drinking. 

Obviously there's no way to verify if every venue will be like this, but from all the research I've done from kind folks on here, it seems that since the pit is so small...it's not as big of a deal.

Also, to review the actual pit experience.  I've never had so much breathing room/lack of people pushing on me in a pit in my life.  I was in the same spot at the end that I started in, and everyone was very respectable and just enjoyed the show and didn't try to push people out of the way and butt-in and stuff.

Really, every spot in the Pit is a great spot.   In fact, there's something to be said for just hanging out on the back rails drinking your beer.  But, I like the intimacy of the front, personally.

This is really helpful. Thanks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, k12 said:

I wasn't in the front, like I said maybe 3 people away from the cat walk 6 or 7 deep, after the opening act people are milling around and you are able to get back in your spot if there are not alot of people

I was in Chicago for both shows, and it was DEFINITELY alot harder to get a good spot, as I said unless you are going to be an asshole and squeeze your way in, you are going to have to get early and hold fort on your position

piss in a cup?

On July 1, 2016 at 10:36 PM, tsinindy said:

We aren't in Mexico anymore Doris..

:) I meant to ask, I think I know the answer.  Did you go to Vegas.  There was a guy in the pit in Vegas on night 2 having some serous back problems.

I din't see you quoted me, Nope I din't go to Vegas.

I did injure my back around 8 years ago, its fine now, but when I stand for too long without support then it pains, usually the shows I go to, I bought seats but then I made my way to the pit and it was ok for me, I asked about GNR cause the band has become too big now, but the pits seem fine if you see the amount of people at the moment in the current shows.

If its something like AC/DC especially in South America, then I don't think so ill be able to go in the pit. 

• Like 1