Catcher in The Rye is the best song from any GN'R member following UYI 1 and 2

8 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I'd argue the same thing, but with There Was a Time. That song is a masterpiece in my opinion.

I can accept this as well

6 hours ago, action said:

This style of music isn't really fitting with GNR i think. with GNR i prefer the more straightforward rockers.

If i want to listen to a musical paintwork, i'll listen to something by brian wilson and the Beach Boys (vocal harmonies and randomness like the Smile album), Led Zeppelin, ABBA or Queen (Queen II, side black)

I recently started taking a deeper look into the Beach Boys with their Pet Sounds album.  I've been listening to it all summer.  I want to ease myself into Brian Wilson Presents Smile.  I've heard Mr.s O Leary's Cow off that.  It's absolutely amazing

I was listening to it last week, and I was blown away how overlooked this song was. Probably the most inspired song in ChDm if not in all GnR discography, it's dancing around a lot of themes with the lyrics, passionate backing vocals, and rich instrumentation. Catcher in The Rye is the heart of ChDm.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I can accept this as well

I recently started taking a deeper look into the Beach Boys with their Pet Sounds album.  I've been listening to it all summer.  I want to ease myself into Brian Wilson Presents Smile.  I've heard Mr.s O Leary's Cow off that.  It's absolutely amazing

you will not know what hit you. 

Smile is an absolute smasher, and unlike anything else out there.

"elements: fire" or o'learys cow is such a bad ass number. legend goes, brian had a nightmare where he heard this eery, long, stretched scream which revolved and moaned, and it scared the shit out of him. he then went on to put music to it, and he couldnt listen to it. we all know the stories of a real fire breaking out in the street where he was recording the track, and it has led to a downward spiral in his mental mind ever since.

I was listening to the album when i was alone at home, and it was dark, and the song scared me shitless. strangely, there is this ridiculous "disney" sound which you hear when mickey mouse is falling on his ass or something, and its supposed to make you laugh but in the context of the song it means a building is falling down because of the fire, and its just beyond twisted and scary. absolutely brilliant track.

the albums is a trip through various other emotions though. the song following fire is the water element, and you're feeling genuinly relieved when the song comes up. it's supposed to "extinguish" the fire made by the previous song.

the other tracks have similar call / answer themes.

on top of that all, the intricate melodies in a song like wonderfull / Our Prayer are genuinly beautiful. Songs like veg-a-tables are so ridiculous they're great. "I'd jump up and down and hope you toss me a carrot". wut? lol. stuff like that.

4 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It's one which i've never given much attention to. I prefer TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute, honestly.

madagascar has always frustrated me.  the song is great for the first half and seems to be building to an amazing finish and then that part with the quotes.  it totally kills the momentum and ruins the song.  had potential to be great.

34 minutes ago, Asdiz said:

madagascar has always frustrated me.  the song is great for the first half and seems to be building to an amazing finish and then that part with the quotes.  it totally kills the momentum and ruins the song.  had potential to be great.

yea I've been against Slash redoing some signature CD solos but Madagascar is the one song I think he can legitimately improve

CITR is one of the worst songs on CD, probably only beaten by TIL.

When I first listened to the album, CITR is what reminded of Duran Duran. There is a section in that song where the the vocal melody is just like something from Ordinary World.

It was truly a wtf moment for me. I mean, I don't mind Duran Duran, they're good at what they do. I just never thought there'd be a day when GNR and Duran Duran would sound so similar.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

yea I've been against Slash redoing some signature CD solos but Madagascar is the one song I think he can legitimately improve

Hard to improve on Bucket's fantastic wah licks during that part. Honestly, just remove the quotes and the song is perfect.

You’re just shitting us with “Catcher” being the best song since ’91, right?  “Slither” won a Grammy for best hard rock performance. 

Since Axl released the forgettable “CD” mess nearly a decade ago to late-night talk show jokes and crickets in the rock listening world, Slash has charted SEVEN singles, TWO of which peaked at #1 on U.S. Mainstream.

But let’s consult YT for further confirmation.  Highest YT views, single clip:

“Fall to Pieces” more than 19 million

“Slither” more than 18 million

“Anastasia” more than 12 million

“Dirty Little Thing” more than 7 million

“The Last Fight” more than 5 million

“She Builds Quick Machines” almost 5 million

“Come On, Come in” nearly 4 million

“You’re a Lie” more than 3 million

“Back from Cali” nearly 3 million

“By the Sword” nearly 2 million

YAWN

How to do neat crochet braids by Freedom Styles nearly 500,000

“Catcher in the Rye” less than 400,000.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  At least note in the OP that you think “Catcher” is a lovely Axl piano piece while acknowledging that in the land of reality, “Slither” beat down the Grammies and Slash has charted seven singles, including two that reached #1 since the Axl Rose debacle known as “CD” alienated even more fans in droves and drowned the band whose name he retained into oblivion outside of any third world county.

“Catcher” is yet another mid-tempo, overproduced forgettable track on an album holding listeners hostage for multiple head-dunkings and waterboarding of said yawner tracks.  “Catcher,” and the mood-killing bloat of “CD” as a whole, is so irrelevant to rock fans and unrecognizable to Guns fans that one poster in this thread alone thought that it was Spacehog and another thought it was a knock-off of Duran Duran.  That is funny except…it isn’t.

“Catcher” makes anything by Trixter, Winger, Warrant and the Nelson twins seem like sincere, badass rock.  Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

“Catcher” is yet another mid-tempo, overproduced forgettable track on an album holding listeners hostage for multiple head-dunkings and waterboarding of said yawner tracks.  “Catcher,” and the mood-killing bloat of “CD” as a whole, is so irrelevant to rock fans and unrecognizable to Guns fans that one poster in this thread alone thought that it was Spacehog and another thought it was a knock-off of Duran Duran.  That is funny except…it isn’t.

“Catcher” makes anything by Trixter, Winger, Warrant and the Nelson twins seem like sincere, badass rock.  Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

lol

excellent rundown on the gist of CD. there was always something "off" with that album but you've just nailed it

Edited by action

I do enjoy this song. Although not as much as others on the album. I enjoy all the songs on the album so it's hard for me to say. Also curious about more CD material being released in the future. I doubt Axl would abandon it, things he has said recently make me think that. 

Edited by Jw224

27 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I mean, it's your opinion, but when you start saying things like "in the land of reality" trying to make your opinion seem superior to someone else's it makes it hard to take you seriously, at all. 

Facts are my opinion, in your opinion.  Slither won a Grammy.  Fact.  Slash has charted 7 singles since "CD" was released.  Fact.  YT views for the various songs are facts.  A crochet video has more views than the song in question.  Fact.  The song in question is a piano piece.  Fact.

My opinion is superior to no one.  But facts are superior to opinion.  It's hard to take anyone seriously who cannot differentiate fact from opinion, and in the face of stated facts, looks to demean the poster of fact as not serious.

Edited by JustanUrchin

20 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

2 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

Facts are my opinion, in your opinion.  Slither won a Grammy.  Fact.  Slash has charted 7 singles since "CD" was released.  Fact.  YT views for the various songs are facts.  A crochet video has more views than the song in question.  Fact.  The song in question is a piano piece.  Fact.

My opinion is superior to no one.  But facts are superior to opinion.  It's hard to take anyone seriously who cannot differentiate fact from opinion, and in the face of stated facts, looks to demean the poster of fact as not serious.

You're not doing yourself any favours. You're acting like just because you state these facts it makes everyone else's opinion irrelevant. That's not how it works I'm sorry. Is the fact that slash has charted 7 singles since CD was released supposed to make me realise my opinion is wrong and that Catcher is a shit song? I really don't give a crap what Slash has done, or what has more YouTube views in the context of whether or not I like this song. You're being dismissive of other people's opinions and acting like just because you're stating facts you can be. 

35 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

According to JustanUrchin Gnam Gnam Style is the greatest song ever written. Also Catcher In The Rye was not released as a single so comparing it with others singles with music videos is irrelevant.

Your reply is intellectually dishonest.  The question was whether “Catcher” was the best song since ’91 by any Guns member.  The question was not a comparison between musical genres.  Nor was it a question about the “greatest song written,” whatever that means.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

You're not doing yourself any favours. You're acting like just because you state these facts it makes everyone else's opinion irrelevant. That's not how it works I'm sorry. Is the fact that slash has charted 7 singles since CD was released supposed to make me realise my opinion is wrong and that Catcher is a shit song? I really don't give a crap what Slash has done, or what has more YouTube views in the context of whether or not I like this song. You're being dismissive of other people's opinions and acting like just because you're stating facts you can be. 

“Everyone else’s opinion” is reflected in sales, charting, YT, Spotify, and terrestrial and satellite radio.  As well as Grammy voters.  Take up your problem with “everybody else’s opinion,” not my citing of facts that concretely represent their opinion.

Since when has popularity decided what a great song was?

Anyway, in my opinion, Catcher isn't even the best song on CD. There Was a Time is far-and-away the best song on that album, with Prostitute and Street of Dreams running behind it. I'd put Catcher up there behind those two with Better, than This I Love and Madagascar behind them. Next step I guess would be Shackler, just because it scares the shit out of me every time it starts blasting when I hit shuffle. The rest of the album after that is passable, but I honestly don't think any of the songs are bad by any means.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

“Everyone else’s opinion” is reflected in sales, charting, YT, Spotify, and terrestrial and satellite radio.  As well as Grammy voters.  Take up your problem with “everybody else’s opinion,” not my citing of facts that concretely represent their opinion.

Yes, because how many people hear a song or how popular it is really tells of its quality ?. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, action said:

This style of music isn't really fitting with GNR i think. with GNR i prefer the more straightforward rockers.

If i want to listen to a musical paintwork, i'll listen to something by brian wilson and the Beach Boys (vocal harmonies and randomness like the Smile album), Led Zeppelin, ABBA or Queen (Queen II, side black)

How do you explain one of GnR's biggest songs of all time November rain then. Like it or not November rain is just as much the GNR sound as Jungle or any of heavier side of things, same goes for Patience, Estranged, Don't Cry etc.

GnR do both, stripped down barbarian rock and Big and bombastic power ballads. Axl has been layering vocals since UYI, CD was a natural progression for him. Catcher is a bit of a mess though, but there is a decent song buried in there somewhere, just wish the producer would have had the balls to say "we have enough gtrs, and synth... lets just mix the track as is!".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Yes, because how many people hear a song or how popular it is really tells of its quality ?. 

Judging by your refusal to acknowledge facts and apply those facts to the OP, your opinion substitutes for facts because it is far more refined than “everybody else’s opinion.”  Yet the opinion of “everybody else” who was initially crucial in your first reply is now inconsequential despite the cite of charting, sales, downloads, plays and so forth.

Beyond this failed logic, your backhandedly state that the public is dumb—it cannot discern for itself what it likes and what it doesn’t.  These same dummies are opening their wallets for albums and songs that they like best and in the greatest numbers, and spending their time playing YT clips that they like best and in the greatest numbers.  “Catcher” is right there on YT for viewing, and presumably on Spotify, iTunes and elsewhere.  And attached to a known band name.  Popular culture is at everyone’s fingertips.  If it’s good, people will buy, listen and watch.  If it sucks, they won’t.  Coca-Cola thought it could reinvent its sugared, carbonated water.  It sucked.  People wanted the original.  But Coca-Cola didn’t wait 23 years to acknowledge that while it thought New Coke was badass, the masses hated it.  Your logic dictates that since the public doesn’t know what in the hell it likes, New Coke rocked because you and a few hundred thousand people with refined “taste” liked it.

Chalk me up in the majority—the class of dummies.  Except I’m even dumber—I actually forked over the cash at Best Buy to purchase “CD” while the majority of dummies rejected it without a listen, abided by word-of-mouth, or waited to test the waters for free on YT.

Anyone who likes Axl’s unending stream of Liberace piano pieces accompanied by guitar that first surfaced on UYI and dominated CD, great for them.  The piano piece in question in this thread has barely received a yawn on YT.  Meanwhile, the factual numbers of Slash alone that I listed directly refute the OP’s contention and crush the 15 songs of original content that Axl released in 25 years.  And counting.

A Grammy or 19 million YT views for “FTP” doesn’t deter you that Axl’s dispensing machine of “Catcher” songs is New Coke as you move the ball?  Cool.  You should dig this.  It’s a piano piece from the era that influenced Axl.  Using your logic, the idiot masses (which includes me) wouldn’t even know that such masterpieces existed or where to find such masterpieces, and yet this “rockin, orchestral accompanied” piano piece that “Catcher,” “Madagascar,” “This I Love” and so on imitates has three times the views of “Catcher.”  We already got the pretentiously tacky blazer, so just throw some lyrics on this, and you have your rock Heaven.  And you got some tapping, to boot!