Axl on Slash (2006) "I love the guy..."

I read a quote from Axl in 2006 where he mentioned Slash, saying "I love the guy, but we haven't talked in the past 10 years"

I'm wondering why he would say he loves Slash and then, years later, go on to call him a "cancer..." and say things like "one of us will be dead before a reunion", "not in this lifetime", ect.

I had no idea that Axl was feeling any love for Slash in 2006. I really hope that someday... we get the full story on what happened between them, and why it took so long to bury the hatchet. I'm surprised that Slash didn't reach out to Axl in 2006, surely he was aware of the quote.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nevergotochurch said:

I read a quote from Axl in 2006 where he mentioned Slash, saying "I love the guy, but we haven't talked in the past 10 years"

I'm wondering why he would say he loves Slash and then, years later, go on to call him a "cancer..." and say things like "one of us will be dead before a reunion", "not in this lifetime", ect.

I had no idea that Axl was feeling any love for Slash in 2006. I really hope that someday... we get the full story on what happened between them, and why it took so long to bury the hatchet. I'm surprised that Slash didn't reach out to Axl in 2006, surely he was aware of the quote.

Slash tried to visit Axl at Axl's home in 2005 but was rebuffed. maybe he was still hurt and the comment that Axl made seemed insincere? also as pointed out Axl used the term "loved him" as in past tense...

25 minutes ago, nevergotochurch said:

Where did you read that quote?

Because Axl has always loved Slash but there were periods when he felt angry and hurted for the things that happened between them and his rage emerged in a very ugly way like when he called him a cancer; I believe he didn't mean to say it. Plus that year was a very bad one for Axl.

- Didn't you say you loved him in what -- '06?

Axl - No. I said "loved," as in past tense. It was a misquote by a writer I mistook as a fan.

spinner.com Axl interview by Del James, 2009  (the same where he called him a "cancer")

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

- Didn't you say you loved him in what -- '06?

Axl - No. I said "loved," as in past tense. It was a misquote by a writer I mistook as a fan.

spinner.com Axl interview by Del James, 2009  (the same where he called him a "cancer")

This makes more sense. Axl probably always loved him deep down but he was very bitter and neither side really had nice things to say until a couple of years ago..

I thought Axl also sarcastically said on stage "I miss Slash" one time around 2006 so.. Yeah it all doesn't mean anything 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nevergotochurch said:

Because Slash was telling fibs... is that not common knowledge?

"He just feels that Slash has burned him and told all of these lies in the press..."

- Marc Canter

Slash mentions in his book that he did go visit him in like either 2005/2006 uninvited to bury the hatchet regarding a lawsuit. Axl claims that Slash talked shit on the other Velvet Revolver members (Scott, Duff, and Matt) but Slash denies it and it caused a lot of tension with VR.

Yea Slash was being held back in GN'R by Scott and producers who didn't know how to work with a legendary guitar player like Slash.

And I always assumed the rest of the VR guys didn't stand up for him. So in a drunken stupor he went to Axl's probably realizing the grass isn't always greener especially when you still aren't sober. Thats where spineless came from.

Slash next move was fuck it I will make my own record, my way, under my own name completely sober and it was a huge success. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

Axl has talked multiple times about how much he admired Slash and just wanted him to be recognized as one of the best ever. 

I think a lot of the time the people we admire the most can let us down the easiest. With Slash it was the drinking, the drugs, and how Axl saw it was a guy who didn't want to work hard. These things bothered Axl and so he sees a guy with so much potential just letting it go to waste. 

The ironic thing is Slash has come to realize all of his talents he's done with drinking, drugs, and is the hardest working musician in the world. While Axl has been one of the most unproductive since their breakup.

it will be interesting now that Axl sees how Slash is in 2016 and how that might finally inspire Axl to step up to Slash's level. 

As others have mentioned it was in past tense, but even if it was in present tense, I take it NONE of you here have ever felt so much anger (at a particular moment or duration) that you may regretably say hurtful words to people you care or love without really meaning it?

Sometimes you are in the zone and someone or something just pushes the right buttons and bammm you explode. Without really thinking of the implications. IYKWIM.

Whether it was a "misquote" or not, it proved to be true. Axl can't even look at Slash without having a cheesy grin on his face these days. It was crazy obvious in the Axl w/ Jack Daniels storytelling video. It also probably factors into why Axl has made a complete 180 on his entire behavior. 

Edited by Carne_asaDA

7 hours ago, Carne_asaDA said:

Whether it was a "misquote" or not, it proved to be true. Axl can't even look at Slash without having a cheesy grin on his face these days. It was crazy obvious in the Axl w/ Jack Daniels storytelling video. It also probably factors into why Axl has made a complete 180 on his entire behavior. 

The power of love 

Imagine depressed Axl walking around in LA and sitting in his balcony and this song going in the background

Love hurts, love scars, love wounds
And marks, any heart
Not tough or strong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
Love hurts......ooh, ooh love hurts

11 hours ago, Carne_asaDA said:

The fact that he hired such over the top shredders and slow bluesy players separately to tend to different aspects of the guitarwork tells you the void that was in Axl's musical world.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carne_asaDA said:

which video are you talking about ? link?

4 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Imagine depressed Axl walking around in LA and sitting in his balcony and this song going in the background

Love hurts, love scars, love wounds
And marks, any heart
Not tough or strong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
Love hurts......ooh, ooh love hurts

Axl actually likes that song :lol: He wanted to use it as his wedding song or sthg :facepalm:

Now though, it's more like:

The power of love
A force from above
Cleaning my soul

I'll protect you from the hooded claw
Keep the vampires from your door

(And Slash really better keep all the "vampires" at bay. Way too many of those around Axl..)