Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

6 minutes ago, radioflyer said:

I think that Izzy was offered the same deal that Mick Taylor got on the last Rolling Stones tour: Guest Appearance for a few songs at each show. Does that sound like a good deal to anyone? Following a band that you founded like a puppy dog to play a few songs with the "current" band? To me, that sounds like watching your ex girlfriend getting plowed by the new boyfriend in front of a screaming crowd. 

Izzy hasn't had his heart in GNR since 1991. Too much of a free spirit for stadium greatest hits rock. He gets plenty of publishing money anyway. 

It is what it is, and it could be (and has been) a lot worse! Perspective, folks. 

I agree that getting Slash, Duff and Axl on stage together itself is pretty miraculous, and more than I expected to see given prior statements.  And, I would be that Duff is playing the long game of getting the band back together more & more as time goes by.   In fact, there would be a certain symmetry in the band's reunion going the opposite of how it came undone:   First Axl, Duff & Slash, like it was from mid-91 through 95.  Then Izzy rejoins, and then Steven takes on a larger role.  

For me, the importance of Izzy has nothing to do with the touring.  I went to the early 91 shows and I don't remember anything Izzy did.  Instead, it's about the songwriting.  I'm afraid that without Izzy any new songs won't be that good.  It's hard enough for bands in their 50's to write good music.  So if you're going to try, you should go back to the winning formula.  

6 minutes ago, sjlgnr said:

For me, the importance of Izzy has nothing to do with the touring.  I went to the early 91 shows and I don't remember anything Izzy did.  Instead, it's about the songwriting.  I'm afraid that without Izzy any new songs won't be that good.  It's hard enough for bands in their 50's to write good music.  So if you're going to try, you should go back to the winning formula.  

Yep.  Wish there was any sign that this would happen.  

My thing is this,  Izzy's tweet says they not he. It's a plural word. But many have jumped the gun and said Axl.

We really have no clue what his offers were. 

As far as Izzy goes I'm a big fan. I would love to see him back. It would make my day. 

There have been many numbers floating around on how money is split. Some figures from sources that seem reliable. Some not so much. I can't remember the sources maybe someone else will. Again though we don't know how true any of it is.

I personally don't see an issue if Axl is paid more and he pays out non partnered members. 

Axl is the only one that remained. 

I can see where Izzy feels he should maybe get the same as Slash and Duff.

But I can also see where they feel he shouldn't. They are partners. Izzy isn't a partner.

I won't and can't sit here and say of Izzy's reasons for leaving the partnership are this or that. But he did leave. He could have stayed in the partnership and left the band. Slash and Duff did just that.

He made that business decision. That may be where the issues are now.

Sure Slash and Duff haven't done as much as Axl since then nowhere near Axl in fact. But they did have to help with decisions in the partnership.

Again what kind of involvement was he wanting or willing to give? Who is the they? Who knows.

I do remember they were about to tour when Izzy just sent some fax or whatever it was a note maybe to Axl saying he was leaving. So yes he left them in a bad position.

I know Izzy got himself clean years ago but not all addicts stay clean. I haven't heard much from Izzy on that front since then. So I won't speculate on that.

As far as his contributions to GnR. I give him that. But people forget those ballads Axl wrote are some of the top rated and played songs of theirs.

Without me really knowing a breakdown off hand on actual lyric writing I can't give Izzy 70%. 

In fact I believe Axl made a comment on maybe Howard Stern that his contributions were higher.

Yes supposedly Axl said he wasn't gonna be paid the same as a drummer. I agree. But I believe it was 25Axl Slash Duff and Izzy made 20 and Steven 15.

General responses to some things brought up.

Oh also why be mad Axl didn't say it on tv. Why would they talk finances? 

Also it sounds like they left the door open for negotiations. 

Edited by BOSSY78
added

24 minutes ago, radioflyer said:

I think that Izzy was offered the same deal that Mick Taylor got on the last Rolling Stones tour: Guest Appearance for a few songs at each show. Does that sound like a good deal to anyone? Following a band that you founded like a puppy dog to play a few songs with the "current" band? To me, that sounds like watching your ex girlfriend getting plowed by the new boyfriend in front of a screaming crowd. 

Izzy hasn't had his heart in GNR since 1991. Too much of a free spirit for stadium greatest hits rock. He gets plenty of publishing money anyway. 

It is what it is, and it could be (and has been) a lot worse! Perspective, folks. 

To me it sounds like he may have been offered full time. I mean why would he expect equal money if he was only doing guest appearances?

2 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

My thing is this,  Izzy's tweet says they not he. It's a plural word. But many have jumped the gun and said Axl.

I didn't - as I said, I'm more disappointed in Duff because he always seemed devoid of wanker behaviour (until now) and is a frequent collaborator with Izzy. I sort of expect this behaviour from Axl and Slash, but never Duff who I singled out as a man of integrity and all round likeable chap. It is disappointing, greed changing people.

3 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

Axl is the only one that remained. 

He didn't remain: nobody remained. Guns N' Roses as it existed up to that date were dissolved in 1995 by Axl. The band Axl created is an entirely new band.

• Like 1

To me it sounds like he may have been offered full time. I mean why would he expect equal money if he was only doing guest appearances?

They more than likely did... Fortus didn't know what was going on in the band up until the announcements. The simple solution if it's not greed that is causing all this. Give Izzy full status and equal share. If he leaves he forfeits any rights to future earning ongoing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cooker said:

They more than likely did... Fortus didn't know what was going on in the band up until the announcements. The simple solution if it's not greed that is causing all this. Give Izzy full status and equal share. If he leaves he forfeits any rights to future earning ongoing. 

Fortus should've been a man and said 'this isn't right guys, this isn't my place, I shouldn't be here, you should make it work with Izzy, it's him the real fans want to see, not me'...

If that meant no tour, then ok, I'd rather have no tour, then a tour without integrity.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I didn't - as I said, I'm more disappointed in Duff because he always seemed devoid of wanker behaviour (until now) and is a frequent collaborator with Izzy. I sort of expect this behaviour from Axl and Slash, but never Duff who I singled out as a man of integrity and all round likeable chap. It is disappointing, greed changing people.

He didn't remain: nobody remained. Guns N' Roses as it existed up to that date were dissolved in 1995 by Axl. The band Axl created is an entirely new band.

I think we should reserve judgment on Duff until more facts are relayed. We can't just treat anything that Izzy says as 100% fact. I just can't say Duff is "Spineless" as some Bandmates have said. 

Because I don't think Izzy sees anything artistic or creative in it so he was maybe asking for more "loot" than they would give.....enabling him to still be the detached outsider of GNR (who actually formed the band and really did write/co-write their biggest songs) 

I'm a weirdo though. Izzy is my favorite member, creatively speaking. I love his "Stonesy" solo records. Everything post 1991 in GNR is bonus anyway. The meat is 1987-1991, and you all know it. Izzy was there for that. This reunion tour is fun, but a VERY pricey nostalgia trip. I think Izzy is more interested in making new music that be believes in for a few thousand people who are into it than plodding through 30 year old songs for millions of people that just want to take a selfie while the fireworks go off. 

17 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

As I said earlier in the week, this may be the most pathetic thing Axl and Guns N' Roses have ever done.

Not even in the 2011-2014 dark ages did Axl keep a founding member of the band and longtime friend out for petty money reasons.

Absolutely disgusting. Sad my theory has been proven true about this corporate, shit, cashgrab tour.

I was waiting for someone to blame Axl. Axl is technically still the boss, he owns the name etc. but Slash and Duff would have a pretty huge say in what happened, just like they had a say in the set list and they had a say in the stage design and touring plans. It's nice and easy to blame mean 'ol Axl though, so I see where you're coming from. 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Fortus should've been a man and said 'this isn't right guys, this isn't my place, I shouldn't be here, you should make it work with Izzy, it's him the real fans want to see, not me'...

If that meant no tour, then ok, I'd rather have no tour, then a tour without integrity.

So now it's Fortus's fault for not quitting a great opportunity? 

Just now, Nikki_Sixx said:

Let's say GN'R signed on for Coachella before formalizing Izzy's involvement. Izzy doesn't agree with the terms and sits out... They still have contractual obligation to play any shows they agreed to. Again, lets not start guessing here. Hopefully we get more info.  

1 minute ago, cooker said:

I think we should reserve judgment on Duff until more facts are relayed. We can't just treat anything that Izzy says as 100% fact. I just can't say Duff is "Spineless" as some Bandmates have said. 

How many more of these "facts" do you need though? How many do you expect to come to fruition? As far as I'm concerned, it's Axl/Slash/Duff vs izzy. Izzy wants back in the partnership for full time, and GNR won't do it. Whether it be due to fortus already being there so why throw fortus away and hope izzy just makes guest appearances, or just being to cheap to pay izzy because Axl slash and duff want their pockets to be bigger, it's just not a good look. 

5 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Fortus was under contract to play on one of the biggest gigs of his career... why would he give that up!? Do you honestly think he was stumbing block or that they wouldn't have had three guitar players? I'd bet that Richard was in regardless of Izzy being in or out and that he was going to be the backbone of the live rhythm sound.

Look, just because Izzy isn't doing shows now, does not mean that he won't do shows in year / 2 yrs time or sooner than that. Izzy and Gnr have always had a fairly up and down relationship and they've always mended bridges so, I don't think there'll be any major problems this time either... apart from the public statements complaining about his financial agreement.

• Like 1

Izzy left 25 years ago and ever since then has done nothing for the band, its existence, its future, its integrity, its business and financial success, literally nothing. Never done anything that would require of him to get out of his comfort zone. Axl, Slash and Duff have been dealing with all the shit throughout this whole time.

People say Izzy left because he had to save himself, yes and so did Duff. Yet Duff then returned and once he got a chance of talking to Axl he quickly brought this band back. What did Izzy do in this respect? Being in contact with all of them all those years? The answer is nothing. Because he didn't care enough to make a slightest effort.

Why on earth would he get the same money as the three? That would just be crazy. I understand Duff and totally agree with him. The fact that he contributed (not singlehandedly wrote) the songs in 85 doesn't mean he should get the same reward as those who kept working hard to keep this business for another 30 years during which cool Izzy was engaged in avocado farming.

And, by the way, I'm not an Axlite, nor Slshlite, I cnsider NuGNR shit and always have.

Edited by Asia
  • Like 1

Hello, Mr.Fortus? Yes, I'm calling from the bank. You haven't paid your mortgage in 3 months...

"Oh, yes, about that. I'm low on cash right now, I recently quit my job with Guns N'Roses because Izzy Stradin should be back in the band..."

Good for you Mr.Fortus! Actually, there must be some mistake, looks to be like your mortgage is paid off after all. Use Your Illusion, Mr.Fortus. Use Your Illusion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

So now it's Fortus's fault for not quitting a great opportunity? 

Well, if it's a guns n roses reunion, aka a reunion of the guys that made the band what it was, then yes. 

1- Fortus wasn't a part of the old band. He had literally nothing to do with the 5 outlaws that changed everything and are giving us a reason to still talk about guns n roses music to this day. As talented as he is, and as much as I like him and want him there if izzy isn't there, he's recorded nothing except recorded new Paul Tobias parts for Chinese democracy. 

2 - Dj Ashba quit. Voluntarily. He said himself Axl wanted him to be a part of this new hybrid. Axl hasnt fired anyone from guns n roses since Matt sorum in 1997. Ashba saw slash was coming back and just knew it wouldn't work creatively for him or for the fans, he even cited so in his resignation letter via Facebook 

3 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

How many more of these "facts" do you need though? How many do you expect to come to fruition? As far as I'm concerned, it's Axl/Slash/Duff vs izzy. Izzy wants back in the partnership for full time, and GNR won't do it. Whether it be due to fortus already being there so why throw fortus away and hope izzy just makes guest appearances, or just being to cheap to pay izzy because Axl slash and duff want their pockets to be bigger, it's just not a good look. 

We don't know how any of the negotiations went. We just have what Izzy has said. Maybe he was ready to sign on based on a limited number of gigs, (first leg) and when they talked about expanding he wasn't down for a large tour, but wanted to do the first part as equal share and the band said your in or your out. I'm not saying any of this is right. If I was the band, I'd pay the guy equal share for any gigs he played. 

11 minutes ago, cooker said:

Let's say GN'R signed on for Coachella before formalizing Izzy's involvement. Izzy doesn't agree with the terms and sits out... They still have contractual obligation to play any shows they agreed to. Again, lets not start guessing here. Hopefully we get more info.  

I'm pretty sure Slash still has Gilby's number.