Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

3 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I'd like for Izzy to be involved, but if the reason he's not is because he wanted equal money to Axl, Slash and Duff, I understand why he isn't - he doesn't deserve what they deserve. He was welcome to be a part of it but the people who maintained an interest in the GNR brand for 25 years don't feel a guy who washed his hands of it is an equal partner to them in 2016 and I agree with them. 

I apologize for arguing with you. Your avatar is literally a picture of Steven crossed out.

It's clear I wasted my time

• Like 1

Here are the lyrics to Izzy's new song "FP Money" I think that they speak for themselves. 

They can fight about it, money, some bag of gold.
They can fight about it, money, the big wheels roll.
And I’m taking the long way home today.
Really got no worries either way.
Cuttin’ deals, shakin’ hands,
hopin’ it feels, open plans.
They can fight about it, money, it’s just a bag of gold.
They can fight about it, money, feel the big wheels roll.
And I’m taking the long way home today.
Really in no hurry either way.
Open fields, open planes, open gates, open lands, open sky, open mind, open race.
They can fight about it, money, it’s a bag of gold.
They can fight about it, money, the story goes.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

He's compensated for the role he played in writing songs with his royalties. But he "co-wrote" them, which means the guys who also "co-wrote them" have just as much right to tour playing them with or without Izzy. They're not out there touring Izzy Stadlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. 

I Know what you mean, but again as mentioned in Slash's and Duff's books, the main ideas/riffs/lyrics were Izzy's.

your comparison with Ju ju is something I really don't get, but hey...

about Patience being Axl's song you are welcome to find some old recordings on YouTube where Axl introduced Patience as the song written by mr Stradlin.

i don't want to take anything away from you man, I think you are wrong but as i said to Boss, I dig your taste in music;)

20 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Izzy had valid reasons for leaving. he was trying to get himself clean and i can imagine trying to keep straight with the state the band was in would have been mission impossible for any man. he probably could have handled his departure better. i think he sent a fax or something saying he quit....i think thats unbelievably cheesy.

It does seem Izzy tried to reach out a few times to mend the fence but something would come up like Axl bringing up really old shit that turned him off of the idea. Izzy is just a no BS type of guy, which may come off as him being wishy-washy.

As much at it had to do with him "trying to get clean" it had to do with him not enjoying touring anymore once he was clean.  I believe he said something along the lines of "is this all there is?"  in reference to playing live/touring, once he was clean.

Basically, he enjoyed the rock star lifestyle and playing live when he partied but became quickly bored/tired of it once he sobered up.

That's what I got out of it, anyway.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

I apologize for arguing with you. Your avatar is literally a picture of Steven crossed out.

It's clear I wasted my time

Because I can understand why the unreliable drug addict isn't the full-time drummer on a multi-million dollar per show tour?

I’m just sad things didn’t work out and the problem is money. I get it why the big three think that Izzy is somehow less important than them, but  if we look to GN’R history that’s just plain naive IMO. I don’t think that’s a coincidence that after Izzy left they couldn’t realease shit. They do need Izzy. They may think they don’t for the live shows, and I agree to a certain level, but when the time for new music come they will need him.

I don’t want to choose a side here. I get why the big three don’t want to pay him more - after all they spent all the 23 years in a feud with each other but at the same time dealing with GN’R shit, defending their brand and that can be exhausting under those circumstances but nevertheless none of the big three left the boat for real, unlike Izzy. 

But on the other hand, it’s Izzy fuckin band. He founded it. He’s the main songwriter. He deserves what the hell he’s asking.

Just hope they can work out a solution. This reunion is great, I'm loving every second of it, but I do have a bad taste in my mouth, Fortus and Frank are ok in my book but they are in a place where they don't belong. I really want to see the magic of the original 5 again. Money shouldn’t be the obstacle. Life is too short.

36 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

That's the whole problem with this whole thread.  Eceryone is quick to rush to judgement against someone without actually knowing any fucking facts.  You all have fun basing your decisions on he said/she said....ill wait for facts and really don't actually care bc it's not my life like it is theirs.

well I actually understand where Axl is coming with his own idea who deserves what, but the part Duff is playing (from what i gather) is double faced. Jmho. Maybe i am wrong.

Just now, Kasanova King said:

As much at it had to do with him "trying to get clean" it had to do with him not enjoying touring anymore once he was clean.  I believe he said something allong the lines of "is this all it is" in reference to playing live/touring, once he was clean.

Basically, he enjoyed the rock star lifestyle and playing live when he partied but really became quickly bored of it once he sobered up.

That's what I got out of it, anyway.

I've read/heard some variation of it so many times I can't quote just one, but "Izzy doesn't like to tour" is pretty well know. He was quoted as saying it took 3 weeks for him to recover from 6 weeks of touring with GNR in 2006. I don't think he does any touring for his solo work, does he?  

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

Because I can understand why the unreliable drug addict isn't the full-time drummer on a multi-million dollar per show tour?

the whole tour should have been a split up between Gilby/Izzy and Steven/Matt. All of them deserved this "reunion" tour.

32 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

Well said. 

My point as well we have no facts here. 

Also the only one having a teenage girl fight on social media is Izzy. The others haven't said anything.

Axl gave a vague and respectful answer even saying he didn't want to take any jabs at him and wasn't trying to.

That's like saying I don't know what's going on when in fact you know every detail of what's going on..

11 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I'm not. He willingly walked away from GNR 25 years ago while Axl, Slash and Duff maintained varying degrees of control/interest in the brand. Now, when those 3 have worked to resurrect the name and put this huge tour together, Izzy wants to cash in on it.  

Duff and Slash also walked away from the band. 

Before this tour, Izzy guest spotted in GnR tours more than Duff or Slash did. 

And what did Slash and Duff do for this tour besides go to Axl's house for dinner and rehearse as a band?Duff wasn't calling venues in Chicago and negotiating financial deals. 

And the reason Izzy wasn't involved in rehearsals is because he and Axl couldn't agree on his contract. Bashing Izzy and giving Slash/Duff props for working behind the scenes literally makes zero sense. It's like saying "Sorum didn't get fhe gig because he wasn't working behind the scenes like Frank was." Sorum - like Izzy - has no contract in place. That's why they were not rehearsing. Slash and Duff were - because they had ironed out their contracts with Axl.

Take off your Rose colored glasses and look at the situation objectively. Axl Rose is our favorite singer, but the world doesn't revolve around him and he isn't always right. 

Just now, maxpax said:

the whole tour should have been a split up between Gilby/Izzy and Steven/Matt. All of them deserved this "reunion" tour.

I'm fine with Alder doing his guest spots, I would have enjoyed Izzy either full-time of guest spotting. I just don't agree with the people who act like the two of them absolutely had to be in the band full-time regardless of any risks that might come with that.  

1 minute ago, ksks12 said:

well I actually understand where Axl is coming with his own idea who deserves what, but the part Duff is playing (from what i gather) is double faced. Jmho. Maybe i am wrong.

Duff played on most of Izzy's solo albums and they recently did that Duff song together. It is Duff I'm most disappointed in as Axl and Slash are wankers so I sort of expect this from them but you'd have thought Duff would have said, 'it is equal for Izzy or I'm not coming along'.

Greed.

• Like 2

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Duff played on most of Izzy's solo albums and they recently did that Duff song together. It is Duff I'm most disappointed in as Axl and Slash are wankers so I sort of expect this from them but you'd have thought Duff would have said, 'it is equal for Izzy or I'm not coming along'.

Greed.

Which is why I think there is more going on then we think. Duff just doesn't seem the type. 

23 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Because all people packing stadiums were there to hear "You Ain't The First" and you can't turn the radio on without hearing "Bad Obsession". 

Good luck finding someone going to the stadium to hear 'Scraped' or turn on the radio to hear 'Rhiad' !

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Greed.

Although to be fair we dont know what the offer was and what it was for. Was Izzy offered to come back full time, or for guest appearances, or for even just a few Adler type of situations?  How much was Izzy asking for and was it reasonable?

I think we dont have enough facts to stir the pot and lay blame, it is just an interesting development to hear about. Hopefully more facts about all of this come out

• Like 4

I'm not sure how they could have given Izzy an equal partnership and not Steven. I don't think this is as black and white as some are making it sound.  

The band didn't disparage Izzy, they left the door open, and he's effectively slammed it with his tweet.

I have to agree with what a poster said some pages back: This thread is crazy. (Sorry if I'm taking it out of context, but I'm lost after reading so many pages).

Apart from some moderate views, the debating here goes like this: People say that Izzy is not so important, because he was "just" a songwriter and this is irrelevant to the tour (!) and after all he left the partnership and he didn't have anything to do with running the brand and the business (what?). Then other people say that Izzy is everything, because he wrote 70% of the songs (what? why not 100%?) and the others aren't worth shit (especially Duff became "just" a bass player now).

On an optimistic note: Izzy has fallen out with Axl (and with Slash to a smaller extent) in the past, but it was never as deep and complicated as the Axl-Slash feud. Izzy was the first former band mate Axl mended his relationship with, so there is hope that they will eventually work something out, although the business side of things weighs more now than back then.