Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

Would've loved to have Izzy on board,like most others here.Bummer to hear that they couldn't make it work.More then anything it would've been going forward in hopes of new music to see if they could recapture some of their old magic.Together they put together one of the greatest rock and roll records of all time .Would've been great to see what they could come up with now.Oh well ,the shows I attended were fun but not feeling too optimistic well ever get new music from the boys 

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How did Axl and his Nugnr shit recruit new fans - I'd love to know this? CD was a turkey, while the old music would have attracted young fans regardless of Axl's circus of freaks. Greatest Hits probably did the most at proliferating the old stuff among youngsters, and Axl tried to veto that release.

FWIW,  I and many other people who weren't even born when AFD came out became fans of GnR during the Chinese era. Besides WTTJ, PC, SCOM and NR - the leak of Better was one of the first songs I'd heard and loved from the band, and I joined the circus of this forum back in 06 thanks in part to loving the CD stuff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

He's compensated for the role he played in writing songs with his royalties. But he "co-wrote" them, which means the guys who also "co-wrote them" have just as much right to tour playing them with or without Izzy. They're not out there touring Izzy Stadlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. 

He didn't 'co-write' ''Think About You'', ''Patience'', ''Used to Love Her'', ''You Ain't the First'', ''Double Talkin' Jive'' and ''Pretty Tied Up''. Add ''Bad Obsession'' onto this list if we include non-Guns collaborators. Add ''Perfect Crime'' also if we use a chance Axl remark made during the club days as evidence and not the Illusion booklets.

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

K?

He played some shows as a fill in in 1993. I believe he was quoted as saying the money was too good to turn down. He played some shows in 2006, a scant 13 years later, which Axl found out afterwards was only because he demanded a large sum of money to do so. Sensing the pattern here yet? 

26 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Izzy's the father who didn't want to be a father so he left his girlfriend and new born son.

Then the son grows up to be a famous rich athlete and he expects to come back into his son's life and be taking care of as much as the mother because mother and father are equals.

You are trolling with this. You have to be!  If not you are the most delusional Axlista on the whole board.

11 minutes ago, cooker said:

I take zero sides in this. These are 50 year old men having a Teenage girl fight on social media. Either tell your whole side of the story or not. Tweeting tiny tidbits only causes debate on zero facts. 

I think the "3" saw Izzy as a liability (as unfair as this is, it's probably true). Look at how he ducked out of the Use Your Illusion tour and the formation of VR. They may have thought that a big tour like this unstable at best with Izzy aboard. They probably offered him an open ended deal where he could show up whenever he felt like it, with no expectations. 

I don't know the details, but I would not like that either if I was Izzy. Do I think it's fair? I can't make a judgment based on zero information. 

I agree with this 100%. We have zero info on what's happened, I don't how can one take a side knowing next to nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

He didn't 'co-write' ''Think About You'', ''Patience'', ''Used to Love Her'', ''You Ain't the First'', ''Double Talkin' Jive'' and ''Pretty Tied Up''. Add ''Bad Obsession'' onto this list if we include non-Guns collaborators. Add ''Perfect Crime'' also if we use a chance Axl remark made during the club days as evidence and not the Illusion booklets.

Anybody claiming Izzy isn't important to GN'R is straight up unaware of the formation of this band. He was the soul of the band between 85-91. Izzy is definitely in the top two of importance to this bands legacy. He has his hand in the core songs that shape the GN'R song. 

1 minute ago, GNR 1991 said:

FWIW,  I and many other people who weren't even born when AFD came out became fans of GnR during the Chinese era. Besides WTTJ, PC, SCOM and NR - the leak of Better was one of the first songs I'd heard and loved from the band, and I joined the circus of this forum back in 06 thanks in part to loving the CD stuff.

With the greatest respect, and I'm not doubting your sincerity in your admiration of Chinese, you are in the minority. Chinese did not sell well and did not resonate with the public. Young people mostly become fans because of ''Jungle'', ''Sweet Child'' and ''November Rain'', not ''Better''. The majority of audiences, young and old alike, do not care for the Chinese stuff, using those opportunities to spend a penny or buy a beer.

10 minutes ago, cooker said:

I take zero sides in this. These are 50 year old men having a Teenage girl fight on social media.

There's no fight really, the tour will go on, and now they've got the word out why so and so aren't there. But the attendance won't change because the biggest names will be there regardless. If it's a fight, it's a pretty one sided fight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Because all people packing stadiums were there to hear "You Ain't The First" and you can't turn the radio on without hearing "Bad Obsession". 

29 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I'm not downplaying Izzy's role in the band 25 years ago. I don't think he's necessary for this particular tour, and I don't think he's entitled to as much money as Axl/Slash/Duff. He can't wash his hands of GNR 25 years ago and then, when Axl/Slash/Duff make this reunion/tour happen, come waltzing back in expecting the same money they're getting.

Izzy had valid reasons for leaving. he was trying to get himself clean and i can imagine trying to keep straight with the state the band was in would have been mission impossible for any man. he probably could have handled his departure better. i think he sent a fax or something saying he quit....i think that was unbelievably cheesy.

It does seem Izzy tried to reach out a few times to mend the fence but something would come up like Axl bringing up really old shit that turned him off of the idea. Izzy is just a no BS type of guy, which may come off as him being wishy-washy.

Edited by -W.A.R-

4 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

You are trolling with this. You have to be!  If not you are the most delusional Axlista on the whole board.

I'm not. He willingly walked away from GNR 25 years ago while Axl, Slash and Duff maintained varying degrees of control/interest in the brand. Now, when those 3 have worked to resurrect the name and put this huge tour together, Izzy wants to cash in on it.  

I love those arguments that S/D/A have been working their asses off for 20 years preserving "Gnr legacy" while Izzy was not. What exactly have they been doing??? Suing each other? That is, paying maybe 5% more to their lawyers to try and get out as much $$$ from the legacy and preferably dupe the other side from it... And if we take Mr Rose and the way he was preserving the legacy, by now he should be paying not receiving $$$ for that effort.

I understand that A & S should get a higher cut - they are really selling the tickets. But Duff??? He is and was barely noticable in GNR, how on earth should he feel entitled to more money than Izzy is a blatant rip off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

Because all people packing stadiums were there to hear "You Ain't The First" and you can't turn the radio on without hearing "Bad Obsession". 

Well the latter was a virtual staple during the Illusion tour, even after Izzy's departure!

Selective choice of songs. There are enough top tier Stradlin songs ('Patience') just as much as there are enough Slash/Duff/McKagan turkeys (''Get in the Ring').

2 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

He played some shows as a fill in in 1993. I believe he was quoted as saying the money was too good to turn down. He played some shows in 2006, a scant 13 years later, which Axl found out afterwards was only because he demanded a large sum of money to do so. Sensing the pattern here yet? 

Which has nothing to do with why he isn't there. Your main argument was that he isnt there because he didnt play gnr covers in the past 20 years, I just said you were wrong. This tour has ZERO to do with the past 25 years. It's a reunion, nostalgia tour. He wrote a lot of the songs being played. SCOM wouldn't be how it was without him, ISE, Brownstone, DTJ, etc. To say he doesn't belong because he left in 91 (and hey, classic GNR didn't release an original song after that anyways) for his well being is a terrible and disrespectful argument. I usually don't get worked up over a gnr topic, but I've been extremely discouraged to see so many "Axl is god" fans discredit and dismiss Izzy fucking Stradlin. 

Diesel brought a good point, for years the nutters supported Izzy like no other because he founded the band (oh, how they love bringing up AFD 5 isn't original the lineup to discredit Slash) and because he played with Axl a lot and didn't go to the hall of fame. Those same fools (most aren't on this forum anymore, anyways) are now jumping down Izzys throat and saying he's a liability.

I love this year for Axl and GNR, it's almost everything I could hope for as a fan. GNR is actually back and they sound killer. I have been showering heaps of praise on them all year, but I won't pretend that them shutting Izzy out because of money isn't EXTREMELY shitty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Dont forget songs like dc, ycbm, brownstone, nightrain,otgm,michelle, rndth,dnb,14y etc etc...some of wich are actually 100% his songs and axl just put sth on them and make himself a cowriter. Not that there is anything wrong with that, after all that's what made them what they are.

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

I'm not. He willingly walked away from GNR 25 years ago while Axl, Slash and Duff maintained varying degrees of control/interest in the brand. Now, when those 3 have worked to resurrect the name and put this huge tour together, Izzy wants to cash in on it.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well the latter was a virtual staple during the Illusion tour, even after Izzy's departure!

Selective choice of songs. There are enough top tier Stradlin songs ('Patience') just as much as there are enough Slash/Duff/McKagan turkeys (''Get in the Ring').

And how many Izzy-only songs are in the set-list on this tour? 

16 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Well if that's true it's what a lot of people here have thought for a while. 

It was an open secret. 

The only thing that is interesting: it sounds a lot like the whole thing was meant to be a real reunion tour with Steven and Izzy...but Stevens back + Izzys exit didn't make it happen. And all of this could have happened right before the Kimmel show that didn't happen...

If Izzy agreed to a full tour...Then hell yes...he deserved the same loot as the other 3. While saying this I don't know if even Slash or Duff get the same loot...Axl has still the rights of the name Guns n' Roses.

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Which has nothing to do with why he isn't there. Your main argument was that he isnt there because he didnt play gnr covers in the past 20 years, I just said you were wrong. This tour has ZERO to do with the past 25 years. It's a reunion, nostalgia tour. He wrote a lot of the songs being played. SCOM wouldn't be how it was without him, ISE, Brownstone, DTJ, etc. To say he doesn't belong because he left in 91 (and hey, classic GNR didn't release an original song after that anyways) for his well being is a terrible and disrespectful argument. I usually don't get worked up over a gnr topic, but I've been extremely discouraged to see so many "Axl is god" fans discredit and dismiss Izzy fucking Stradlin. 

Diesel brought a good point, for years the nutters supported Izzy like no other because he founded the band (oh, how they love bringing up AFD 5 isn't original the lineup to discredit Slash) and because he played with Axl a lot and didn't go to the hall of fame. Those same fools (most aren't on this forum anymore, anyways) are now jumping down Izzys throat and saying he's a liability.

I love this year for Axl and GNR, it's almost everything I could hope for as a fan. GNR is actually back and they sound killer. I have been showering heaps of praise on them all year, but I won't pretend that them shutting Izzy out because of money isn't EXTREMELY shitty.

I'd like for Izzy to be involved, but if the reason he's not is because he wanted equal money to Axl, Slash and Duff, I understand why he isn't - he doesn't deserve what they deserve. He was welcome to be a part of it but the people who maintained an interest in the GNR brand for 25 years don't feel a guy who washed his hands of it is an equal partner to them in 2016 and I agree with them. 

7 minutes ago, bikka said:

I love those arguments that S/D/A have been working their asses off for 20 years preserving "Gnr legacy" while Izzy was not. What exactly have they been doing??? Suing each other? That is, paying maybe 5% more to their lawyers to try and get out as much $$$ from the legacy and preferably dupe the other side from it... And if we take Mr Rose and the way he was preserving the legacy, by now he should be paying not receiving $$$ for that effort.

I understand that A & S should get a higher cut - they are really selling the tickets. But Duff??? He is and was barely noticable in GNR, how on earth should he feel entitled to more money than Izzy is a blatant rip off.

Duff was the peacemaker between Axl and Slash. Pretty important role if you ask me. 

How in the world can some of you people be bashing Izzy for this without knowing the FACTS of what happened?

If Axl offered Izzy less money than he is paying Melissa, then is izzy being a money grubbing arrogant douche?

Izzy quit in 1991? Did you forget that slash and duff also quit?

And lol at the Izzy hate because he said something negative about Axl. Happens on this forum EVERY time anybody says something negative about Axl. Every single time. There are poster's wives who could say "I think Robert Plant was a better singer than Axl" and the forum poster would respond "Well I married my wife but I've never really liked her. She is pretty stupid."

WITHOUT KNOWING the dollar amount offered then it is ludicrous to blame Axl or Izzy. And it's silly to make up scenarios about The Big Three or Izzy as to what YOU think they are thinking or why they are doing things. 

Izzy and the band's decision can't really be judged unless we know if Izzy was offered the same money as Melissa or the same money as Duff. Was he offered a full time position at $500,000 a show? Or two songs per show and $7,500? Big difference.