Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I didn't - as I said, I'm more disappointed in Duff because he always seemed devoid of wanker behaviour (until now) and is a frequent collaborator with Izzy. I sort of expect this behaviour from Axl and Slash, but never Duff who I singled out as a man of integrity and all round likeable chap. It is disappointing, greed changing people.

He didn't remain: nobody remained. Guns N' Roses as it existed up to that date were dissolved in 1995 by Axl. The band Axl created is an entirely new band.

Sticking to his guns(no pun intended) doesnt make Duff a wanker, or greedy. Whether we agree with their logic is fucking irrelevant. THEY feel he is not entitled to an even split. Even if Slash and Duff quit the touring and recording entity that is Guns N Roses. They didnt quit the Corporation that is GNR. Izzy Quit everything. It doesnt matter that he has a hand in lots of songs, doesnt matter that they play some of those songs. 

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

I bet Axl/Slash/Duff are laughing all the way to the bank if they read forums like this one. Izzy probably laughs too. The guy gets paid every time the songs are played. Must be nice. 

This is the truth. Izzy makes money on this tour too- he has publishing. He gets to kick back and count his money without the travel or being a 53 year old dancing monkey in a football stadium. 

Just now, youngswedishvinyl said:

What has changed since yesterday that makes some people on here all of a sudden give up hope on GN'R's future? 
Izzy wasn't part of this reunion before this so why would him clarifying why he isn't change your feeling about it?

Because now we know that Izzy WAS interested, but they disrespected him, and now they can't even man up to it.

If Izzy didn't WANT to be part of this, then I can understand that they went on without him.

But with what we know now, GNR is dead in my eyes.

Just now, Nikki_Sixx said:

Because now we know that Izzy WAS interested, but they disrespected him, and now they can't even man up to it.

If Izzy didn't WANT to be part of this, then I can understand that they went on without him.

But with what we know now, GNR is dead in my eyes.

No we don't, well we know that Izzy was interested, but we don't know that they disrespected him.
We know that Izzy feel like he should have gotten as much money as the other guys but we don't know any more details.
For all we know Izzy may only have wanted to play a couple of song per night for the same salary as Slash.
If say that was the case then Izzy would be the one disrespecting the other three, right?

This is the problem with this thread, people jump to conclusion way to fucking quick...

If I'm not mistaken and memory serves me Izzy left the partnership because he didn't want the possible financial burden for lawsuits and stuff. 

Skip forward 25 years and he wants equal money. Slash and Duff decided that the risk of the lawsuits etc were worth remaining in the partnership.

They also are now being rewarded for remaining despite the risks.

There's another perspective we can add to the many.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Modano09 said:

It's only when he senses a big pay day that he suddenly cares to be involved in GNR again.

Duff and Slash quit soon after. And why should Izzy be paid less? He would still make a ton of money for this tour, but it's the principal of the thing.  He started this band too. And wrote some of their biggest hits. It's bullshit they tried big leagueing him. 

11 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Sticking to his guns(no pun intended) doesnt make Duff a wanker, or greedy. Whether we agree with their logic is fucking irrelevant. THEY feel he is not entitled to an even split. Even if Slash and Duff quit the touring and recording entity that is Guns N Roses. They didnt quit the Corporation that is GNR. Izzy Quit everything. It doesnt matter that he has a hand in lots of songs, doesnt matter that they play some of those songs. 

The partnership was not created until after Izzy had left. In fact that is one of the reasons why Izzy left. There is an interview in which he states, Axl was getting him to sign various documentation - and this was supposed to be a rock n' roll band!

But you said it: 'corporation'. We have already heard words like 'brand' and 'marketing' thrown around by the hybrid supporters. ''Slash and Duff put hard work in, grafting like Trojans blah blah''. That is all there is left now, a business.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The partnership was not created until after Izzy had left. In fact that is one of the reasons why Izzy left. There is an interview in which he states, Axl was getting him to sign various documentation - and this was supposed to be a rock n' roll band!

But you said it: 'corporation'. We have already heard words like 'brand' and 'marketing' thrown around by the hybrid supporters. ''Slash and Duff put hard work in, grafting like Trojans blah blah''. That is all there is left now, a business.

Again he brought up GnR being sued as a reason. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

So what? whether it was formed before or after he left means jack shit. What matters is they(the Big3) remained in the business partnership.. Izzy didnt. Thats the major sticking point here. His contributions are solidified and infallible, I'm not challenging that. 

some of us are really too naive. Rock n Roll stopped being some shit you do with your buddies for fun during the 80's. the bands that didnt get fucked over and left with their asses in the wind were the ones that realized that shit is business, just as much as its art. Axl realized that early on from Jagger. and Duff came to understand that as well when he went to school, which is why he remained VERY involved in GNR as a corporation even if he wasnt part of the band anymore.. and Slash same thing, If not for the savvy of his lawyers, he would of been fucked out of the business partnership as well. 

• Like 1

THIS is why they didn't wanted to do interviews !!!! you just get more questions than answers !! and we don't now the truth !! i'd like to think they really tried to get Izzy on board, why else would Adler be there !!! thats more difficult for Axl then that Izzy wil be there with them.

Edited by Robert39

2 minutes ago, maxpax said:

Absolutely right. And its getting boring...the bands policy / communication is horrible...

Communication isnt the problem..atleast between them it isnt..maybe they arent transparent with us the fans. With each other they are pretty clear.

They disagree on a business model. simple as that. Rock n Roll is a business as much as it is art. whether we like it or not. these fuckers aint doing this shit for free, or for charity. neither would any of us if we were in the same position. They know whats it like being destitute and homeless. they know what its like to be broke..They aint giving up their nice comfortable lives for anyone. They aint giving out handouts to someone they dont feel deserves it. 

5 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

THIS is why they didn't wanted to do interviews !!!! you just get more questions than answers !! and we don't now the truth !! i'd like to think they really tried to get Izzy on board, why else would Adler be there !!! thats more difficult for Axl then that Izzy wil be there with them.

They only have themselves to blame though. If they were honest, and just came out with the truth shit may not be as bumpy as it is. 

Izzy flat out called them out on their bullshit. Embarrassing them in the court of public opinion.

And as a consequence just leads to further speculation, conspiracy theories, rumors, division and controversy among an already jaded fanbase who's endured more shit than most fanbases. 

like my pops always says, The Truth always comes to light. They shouldnt have allowed that answer to be shown in the interview. They had to have known it would cause some shit with Izzy. 

4 hours ago, ksks12 said:

Really? Please enlighten us. The guy who wrote/cowrote 60%/70% of their material isn't supposed to be paid fairly? 

Ok than let them put out all of his songs out of the setlist. You know: brownstone, otgm, nightrain, dc, ycbm, patience, scom, dtj,...........

Youre not getting it. Izzy has been paid for his songwriting credits FAIRLY. Axl owns GNR brand, he can sing and play any song he wants. 

Were talking touring. Separate the two. Izzy is not required for 90% of the fan population to have a GNR reunion to PLAY SHOWS. He WALKED AWAY from a GNR partnership, one that Slash and Duff DID NOT. They put in all the behind the scenes crap for 25 years(lawyers, promotion, dvd, music, etc) in case a reunion ever happened. So Izzy should not blow in with the wind and expect to be paid on the same level as the big 3. Simple as that.

48 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Well, if it's a guns n roses reunion, aka a reunion of the guys that made the band what it was, then yes. 

1- Fortus wasn't a part of the old band. He had literally nothing to do with the 5 outlaws that changed everything and are giving us a reason to still talk about guns n roses music to this day. As talented as he is, and as much as I like him and want him there if izzy isn't there, he's recorded nothing except recorded new Paul Tobias parts for Chinese democracy. 

2 - Dj Ashba quit. Voluntarily. He said himself Axl wanted him to be a part of this new hybrid. Axl hasnt fired anyone from guns n roses since Matt sorum in 1997. Ashba saw slash was coming back and just knew it wouldn't work creatively for him or for the fans, he even cited so in his resignation letter via Facebook 

If they wanted Izzy, Izzy wanted back, and money was agreed upon, Fortus isn't preventing that from happening. 

5 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

They only have themselves to blame though. If they were honest, and just came out with the truth shit may not be as bumpy as it is. 

Izzy flat out called them out on their bullshit. Embarrassing them in the court of public opinion.

And as a consequence just leads to further speculation, conspiracy theories, rumors, division and controversy among an already jaded fanbase who's endured more shit than most fanbases. 

like my pops always says, The Truth always comes to light. They shouldnt have allowed that answer to be shown in the interview. They had to have known it would cause some shit with Izzy. 

He embarrassed himself. He sounds like a celebrity or teeny bopper running to twitter to fuel specualtion in the media. Thats a bitch move.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

some of us are really too naive. Rock n Roll stopped being some shit you do with your buddies for fun during the 80's. the bands that didnt get fucked over and left with their asses in the wind were the ones that realized that shit is business, just as much as its art. Axl realized that early on from Jagger. and Duff came to understand that as well when he went to school, which is why he remained VERY involved in GNR as a corporation even if he wasnt part of the band anymore.. and Slash same thing, If not for the savvy of his lawyers, he would of been fucked out of the business partnership as well. 

You have a point. It makes me utterly sick how corporate rock music is these days - the NITLT tour basically epitomises that. I must admit,  I'd have preferred Izzy to make is rejection on the principal of the tour being a nostalgia ridden cack fest with no trace of creativity, rather than an equal share of the ''loot'', but alas, there it is.  

Edited by DieselDaisy

8 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

So you'd rather they have just said "Izzy wanted too much money to be here" ? That's the professional way to handle that question? 

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

So you'd rather they have just said "Izzy wanted too much money to be here" ? That's the professional way to handle that question? 

OF course you dont come out and say it as such..lol

either dont show it in the interview. Or say something like "we couldnt come to terms where every party was happy with the agreements" some corporate professional bullshit like that. 

But to paint him as flaky or wacky clearly bothered Izzy enough that he felt so compelled as to swiftly come out and call them out for it. Clearly No one wins with this though. They all come out looking the ass for it. Confirms what many people already suspected(though its obvious) that this is about the $$. Money talks as the saying goes.

2 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

They shouldn't have to 'work something out', they should've done this the right way straight from the get-go.  Every founding member should've gotten an equal share.  There shoudln't have been any Fortus or Ferrer, there shouldn't have been any CD songs in the set, there shouldn't have been any lame-ass Vegas style stage setup.

It should've been the 4 of them, with Steven or (preferably) Matt.  That or NOTHING.  Now they ruined it, and they ruined any chance of a decent legacy (mostly ruined already by the Axl-solo years anyway, but hey...).

On top of that, Axl lies about it in that interview.  Have some balls and say it like it is !

Now I understand the frustration of being a fan of Izzy/the Appetite lineup and not getting a full reunion but I don't think that they have "ruined any chance of a decent legacy", not at all.  Let's chill people no need to hyperbolize the situation at hand here

We do not know the full story.  What did Izzy want to do in the reunion and did it coincide with a pay that reflected that?  We can't just go "oh Axl is a liar" when we do not know exactly what the negotiations were or even if was for Steven-esque guest appearances rather than retaking the rhythm spot back full time.  We can't just assume one side is unreasonable until we know the terms that were unreasonable.  

This is the bad part of Izzy's Tweet, now there are tons of needless arguments between fans who don't even know what is really going on fully behind the scenes

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

If Izzy's tweet was in regards to the April shows then I don't know why Izzy wanted equal share. It's was said a few times he was supposedly only doing a couple of songs on the shows in April so why should he get the same as the other 3 who are playing the full shows ? 

If the tweet is maybe about Izzy wanting back full time and in the partnership then I can understand why Axl Slash and Duff might not have wanted it at the time. Why go through all the legal work with contracts etc for something that could've lasted no more than a handful of shows ? (Which was the original plan ). 

Axl Slash and Duff are the 3 in the partnership and the ones that have had to agree on things for the past 20 years. IMO this tour and line up has been put together with the purpose of getting those 3 to gel together and move GNR forward. Given how well they seem to be getting on maybe once this tour ends that could be the best time to get Izzy on board full time especially if there's to be an album. I hope something can be worked out.