New album this year rumour

I'm not dismissing that, it could very well be Slash's writings. But I always heard Axl talk about Estranged being his ''baby'' and knowing what kind of a control freak and perfectionist he is, and the fact he wrote that song on his piano, I can imagine him sitting down with Slash and showing him how he wants those re-appearing guitar melodies to sound like. It's definitely not impossible. If Axl would have said to Slash... ''ok, now I want a cool guitar riff over this part and it's up to you to come up with something'', I'd imagine Slash would have gotten a song credit for it. But maybe that's exactly how it went. Who knows?

Edited by EvanG

46 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Who says Slash came up with the guitar melodies? Does he mention that in the book? 

It could be possible that Axl showed Slash on his piano or keyboard the kind of melodies he wanted him to play on the guitar.

For example like this: 

Nah pretty sure that's all Slash's doing, i think they go into it in detail in the "making of the video".

Slash- ''And afterwards I said Ok Ax i gotta get some credit on this for the guitars, because y'know it was a big part that went on top of what he'd already written".

Axl-" I was really sincere about thanking for doing that because the work he did on that song is really special and really special to me".

Not to take anything away from Axl's original composition of course, it's an incredible piece.

Edited by Silverburst80

22 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm not dismissing that, it could very well be Slash's writings. But I always heard Axl talk about Estranged being his ''baby'' and knowing what kind of a control freak and perfectionist he is, and the fact he wrote that song on his piano, I can imagine him sitting down with Slash and showing him how he wants those re-appearing guitar melodies to sound like. It's definitely not impossible.

As far as I know every single Slash Guns solo that he played was also composed by him except Chinese tunes of course. It's all Slash. The Estranged riff has more of a lead tone to it, all the leads except a couple Izzy leads on Appetite and Illusions came from Slash's head. (and outside writers on occasion, friends of the band like West and Paul)

Edited by Rovim

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

As far as I know every single Slash Guns solo that he played was also composed by him except Chinese tunes of course. It's all Slash.

I was referring more to those riffs. But I don't know... all I'm trying to say is that they're all musicians, it's not impossible if someone else comes up with an idea for an instrument even though it's not their instrument.

I'm not a drummer, but when I write a song I have exactly an idea of what I want the drummer to play, and I'm able to explain that to the drummer in my band and together we create the idea that I have in my mind. 

So it's not impossible for a piano player to play something on the piano to let the guitarist know how he wants him to play it. I don't know if that's the deal with these songs we're discussing now, but it's not all black or white either.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I was referring more to those riffs. But I don't know... all I'm trying to say is that they're all musicians, it's not impossible if someone else comes up with an idea for an instrument even though it's not their instrument.

I'm not a drummer, but when I write a song I have exactly an idea of what I want the drummer to play, and I'm able to explain that to the drummer in my band and together we create the idea that I have in my mind. 

So it's not impossible for a piano player to play something on the piano to let the guitarist know how he wants him to play it. I don't know if that's the deal with these songs we're discussing now, but it's not all black or white either.

Sure, it's possible. Happens all the time. Specifically here though? I think Slash came up with the Estranged riff cause they talked about it in an officially released video. How Slash came up with it.

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Sure, it's possible. Happens all the time. Specifically here though? I think Slash came up with the Estranged riff cause they talked about it in an officially released video. How Slash came up with it.

They never really mentioned that riff as far as I know of... it's a long-ass song... Maybe Slash wrote a lot of the guitar parts, but that main guitar riff from the first few minutes? Axl could have easily played that for him on the piano or even hummed it to him and Slash just 'translated' it to the guitar. And maybe not. Maybe it's all Slash. POINT: We don't know... people here seem to think they know all of it but none of us were there when they were creating these songs. I doubt they know themselves exactly who came up with what riff... it's a long time ago, and there was a lot of stuff going on that would make anyone a bit forgettable.

Edited by EvanG

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

They never really mentioned that riff as far as I know of... it's a long-ass song... Maybe Slash wrote a lot of the guitar parts, but that main guitar riff from the first few minutes? Axl could have easily played that for him on the piano or even hummed it to him and Slash just 'translated' it to the guitar. And maybe not. Maybe it's all Slash. POINT: We don't know... people here seem to think they know all of it but none of us were there when they were creating these songs.

2:10

Yeah, my point exactly... I didn't hear them say ''Slash wrote that main guitar riff'' and that is all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying he didn't come up with it, I'm saying I don't know, and neither can you. Unless you were there and I'm assuming you were not.

3 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

If my memory serves, back in the 90's Axl said they were using some method to figure out how to split the songwriting credits and that it was thought of by Slash.

True it was Slash's system. And I remember Axl saying he told Slash  how long to hold a note in a solo quite often. 

Problem or reality is a solo doesn't make a hit. If a song is not a hit it's not making money I guess is the theory. There's plenty of songs I know can't tell you how the solo goes. 

Guitar hero instrumental albums don't sell as well as lyrics and melodies. 

A guitarist should really writing guitar melodies like Izzy. Plenty of shredding soloists about as we know. Bumblehead, Bucketfoot, Armrest, you name it, somewhere, out there there's a guitarist with an object on his head. 

I think it's a live album and the label releases a new Greatest Hits.Cool that they are bouncing ideas off each other.But when it comes to albums that's what we may get.Once more I remind y'all it's better than NuGNR or NoGNR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, default_ said:

This is the original Estranged demo, take your conclusions about the guitar melodies.  :)  

Based on the comments under the YouTube link for this version of Estranged, it may be a cover...  I think Axl plays with more musicality, no offense to the guy who claims to have recorded this version.  

Capture.JPG

Come on, it's more than obvious Slash came up with those melodies, otherwise Axl wouldn't have thanked him, he wouldn't thank for what he himself composed and Slash only played nor would Slash think he deserves any credit for that. And he does. In case of Slash, at least, there should be credits for guitars because they transform the songs completely. Especially Estranged where they make half of the song, or Coma (he got credits for that anyway so just for the sake of the discussion), what would Coma be without the guitars... It's one thing when there's a whole song and in the middle of it there's 30 seconds of didoo doodooo didoo, called a solo, and then the song continues, that changes little to nothing, depending on the quality of didoo doodoo, but here the solos and guitars are the main substance of these songs. Slash's guitars are indeed the second vocals that sing in a duet with Axl and that's what makes the GNR sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Come on, it's more than obvious Slash came up with those melodies, otherwise Axl wouldn't have thanked him, he wouldn't thank for what he himself composed and Slash only played nor would Slash think he deserves any credit for that. And he does. In case of Slash, at least, there should be credits for guitars because they transform the songs completely. Especially Estranged where they make half of the song, or Coma (he got credits for that anyway so just for the sake of the discussion), what would Coma be without the guitars... It's one thing when there's a whole song and in the middle of it there's 30 seconds of didoo doodooo didoo, called a solo, and then the song continues, that changes little to nothing, depending on the quality of didoo doodoo, but here the solos and guitars are the main substance of these songs. Slash's guitars are indeed the second vocals that sing in a duet with Axl and that's what makes the GNR sound.

Matched with Izzy's sound and Steven's drumming I agree.

Edit: and Duff basslines, of course. Biggest sounds are Axl's banshee wail and Slash's guitar growl. Very powerful what old Guns had as a band. Each member brought magic to the table. All with different talents that covered every element you need in a hard rock band. They've even expanded on what AC/DC created. It's a full circle now. A good AC/DC album with Axl on it would blow my mind.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

I think we need to just face it folks, we'll be flat out getting 1 new track let alone 1 new album.

Im all for optimism, but there just seems like no hope of anything new on the horizon. 

Theyre just gonna keep on touring and touring until the wheels fall off..

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm pretty certain that for Slash and Duff releasing another album under the name Guns N Roses would be a dream come true, I think that even for Axl it would be absolutely great to finally release music without having to take all the responsibility and pressure upon himself which was the case with New Guns and was paralyzing. Now he is not the only one there and he does not have to prove that he's better than Slash anymore, which could be a great relief and destressing factor making him more willing to give it a chance. Plus these guys have always boosted each other's creativity. All in all I think now we have the greatest chance in decades of seing a new album from Axl and Guns. Actually I believe that if it is ever to be done, it will be done now (now not necessairly meaning this year of course).

• Like 2

I would hope that the creative juices would start to flow just being in each others presence . We know that Axl has lot's of recordings on the cutting room floor.

I would guess when they have time to breathe from all the touring that maybe conversation will come up maybe from boredom if nothing else. Still the problem of no slot to throw new stuff into

other than the loyal following through CD purchase. No radio station is going to pick up a single and put it on their rotation. I was in Rio when the show there was being hyped and GNR was on the radio non stop.

I saw posters everywhere too. I don't think that would happen in the states over new music coming out.

13 hours ago, default_ said:

This is the original Estranged demo, take your conclusions about the guitar melodies.  :)  

Even if this demo would have been real it wouldn't prove Slash wrote every guitar melody for that song.

4 hours ago, Asia said:

Come on, it's more than obvious Slash came up with those melodies, otherwise Axl wouldn't have thanked him, he wouldn't thank for what he himself composed and Slash only played nor would Slash think he deserves any credit for that. 

It's definitely not more than obvious. Again, it's a long-ass song, it's ignorant to think that Slash does it all. Maybe he did write every guitar note for Estranged, but it's not unthinkable that Axl would have had some ideas for guitar parts for a song he actually wrote. Even if he's not an actual guitarist himself. Why is that so hard to imagine for some of you? Don't you understand how bands and songwriting works? I'm just a bit amazed that people here think they know exactly how this song was written, it's a bit arrogant. Anyway, this is getting repetitive, so I'll leave it at this.

Edited by EvanG

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

It's definitely not more than obvious. Again, it's a long-ass song, it's ignorant to think that Slash does it all. Maybe he did write every guitar note for Estranged, but it's not unthinkable that Axl would have had some ideas for guitar parts for a song he actually wrote. Even if he's not an actual guitarist himself. Why is that so hard to imagine for some of you? Don't you understand how bands and songwriting works? I'm just a bit amazed that people here think they know exactly how this song was written, it's a bit arrogant. Anyway, this is getting repetitive, so I'll leave it at this.

It is actually really stupid to think that Axl specifically thanked Slash for killer guitar melodies that he himself composed or get stubborn that it was Axl who came up with them while both of them have said otherwise. But whatever, mr songwriting expert, think what you will, I'll leave it at that too.

• Like 1