Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

9 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Anyone recommend Luigi's Mansion 3? Its on pretty good black Friday sale so thinking of putting it on my Christmas wish list (wife hates buying me video games lol) but never played the first 2.

I've got the original for the Gamecube and it's pretty good fun.

• Thanks 1

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and pick up a Switch if I can find a good deal, mainly to play Deadly Premonition 2, as there is no sign of it coming to PS4 or Xbone. The original is one of my favourite games and I've been eager to play the sequel ever since I first heard they were doing it. However, I held off when it was released and had horrific technical/frame rate issues... even by Deadly Premonition's standards. This has apparently been improved drastically with the release of patches.

I'll probably pick a few other games up along the way, so does anyone have any good recommendations? Preferably not the obvious stuff like Mario (which I'll get) Zelda (or other WII U ports, as I have them already)

Any good exclusives and hidden gems/obscure titles?

Cheers.

Edited by bucketfoot

8 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and pick up a Switch if I can find a good deal, mainly to play Deadly Premonition 2, as there is no sign of it coming to PS4 or Xbone. The original is one of my favourite games and I've been eager to play the sequel ever since I first heard they were doing it. However, I held off when it was released and had horrific technical/frame rate issues... even by Deadly Premonition's standards. This has apparently been improved drastically with the release of patches.

I'll probably pick a few other games up along the way, so does anyone have any good recommendations? Preferably not the obvious stuff like Mario (which I'll get) Zelda (or other WII U ports, as I have them already)

Any good exclusives and hidden gems/obscure titles?

Cheers.

my personal top 10:

1. mortal kombat 11

2. mario 3d all stars

3. burnout paradise

4. need for speed hot pursuit

5. resident evil 4

6. skyrim

7. ultra street fighter II

8. final fantasy 7/ 8 twin pack

9. mario kart 8 deluxe

10. turok

• Like 1

just picked up a switch on black friday... i got a ps5 with valhalla on nov. 12th and was frustrated by the lack of games so i went out and got the switch with mario kart deluxe, super marios bros u deluxe, mario odyssey and breath of the wild lol should hold me over until theres a few decent games for ps5... hopefully 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Okay so I love my Switch after a couple of months getting back into it but Nintendo can eat a sack of dicks with game prices. Bayonetta 2 is £40. That's €45 or $55 for a 2014 game. I LOVE Nintendo games but this is why I'm glad that I'm not restricted to their consoles. I do most of my gaming on PC these days and though it's an arse ache to drop hundreds on a new graphics card every now and then it's also awesome that I can pick up AAA games for pennies on Steam or even cheaper elsewhere. In context the latest Mortal Kombat is literally a tenner if you know where to look eh @Oldest Goat? :D 

• Like 1

they say the switch is half it's lifetime, but I feel the best is behind us. No exciting new announcments for the near future from nintendo, and interesting third party supply has all but dried up.

I would still have wanted a metal gear solid on the switch, but I think it's not to be.

I do feel that first party titles were lacking a bit. Where's star fox, F zero, 1080, ocarina of time, wind waker, twilight princess? I would have been happy with lazy remasters.

I do not feel the switch has reached it's full potential. but it's close.

My xbox one x receives more playtime however.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, action said:

I do feel that first party titles were lacking a bit. Where's star fox, F zero, 1080, ocarina of time, wind waker, twilight princess? I would have been happy with lazy remasters.

I agree. I think Nintendo Switch Online alone is a missed opportunity. The lack of N64 and Gamecube support at this point is just bizarre. I feel like there's so much that could still be exploited but it's starting to seem unlikely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I agree. I think Nintendo Switch Online alone is a missed opportunity. The lack of N64 and Gamecube support at this point is just bizarre. I feel like there's so much that could still be exploited but it's starting to seem unlikely. 

I'm currently having an infintely amount more fun with perfect dark on the xbox, local splitscreen, than all the splatoon 2's of the world can give. Splatoon 2, nintendo's flagship competitive shooter, does not have a local splitscreen option, does not have bots. A mere perfect dark port does. that was a bit of a letdown that I feel nintendo has never corrected. Local splitscreen shooters are almost non existent on the N64. There are far better options for that kind of gaming experience, and the switch is not one of them. Even the Turok 2 port didn't have the local multiplayer anymore. It's like nintendo hates people having fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, action said:

they say the switch is half it's lifetime, but I feel the best is behind us. No exciting new announcments for the near future from nintendo, and interesting third party supply has all but dried up.

I would still have wanted a metal gear solid on the switch, but I think it's not to be.

My xbox one x receives more playtime however.

If we get Metroid Prime, another main Zelda, a Zelda all stars I'll consider it a good win

An N64 and Gamecube virtual console would also be killer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

If we get Metroid Prime, another main Zelda, a Zelda all stars I'll consider it a good win

An N64 and Gamecube virtual console would also be killer

zelda all stars. ocarina of time HD on the go.

I'll shut up if they give us that.

Ocarina Of Time HD is baffling considering they have the 3DS version basically just sitting there which can easily come over to the Switch. All they'd have to do is re-adapt the second screen functionality. Perhaps they're intending to do some sort of Zelda Anniversary release.

And seriously. N64 and Gamecube at the very least on Switch Online if not the Wii as well. Smartphones can run these consoles, jailbroken Switches can run these consoles, so it's time Nintendo caught up to reality.

just think of all the games that were influenced by ocarina of time. skyrim. witcher III. red dead redemption. 3D open world  action / adventure games.... it all started here folks.

I've replayed this game for the first time since the mid 2000s, and technically this more than shows its age and there are some apparent QOL changes to be made..... but this is a hand crafted game that's overflowing with charm and wonder. shout out to the brilliant music. And the colour palette of the world, the artstyle... no browns and greys here, the land is vibrant and colourfull. this game is a work of art in every way.

12 minutes ago, action said:

just think of all the games that were influenced by ocarina of time. skyrim. witcher III. red dead redemption. 3D open world  action / adventure games.... it all started here folks.

Pfft! I was playing this on my Commodore Amiga in 1991. Nearly a decade before Ocarina of Time came out. :p 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

Even though the Nintendo 64 was vastly outsold and overshadowed by the Playstation, I think it's a testament to the staying power of the console that people in 2020/2021 are still talking about the influence of Mario 64, Zelda OOT, and GoldenEye. Each of those paved the way for future games in their respective genres, and each had a fanbase that transcended the franchise fandom. By that I mean people who aren't even Zelda fans adored Ocarina's gameplay, people who have never seen a Bond film remember playing GoldenEye multiplayer for hours on end, and people who haven't cared for the more recent Mario outings still hold Mario 64 in high regard.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

It is indeed a huge missed opportunity with how they're doing Nintendo Online and the lack of Virtual Console.

I also really want a Metroid Prime Trilogy Remaster, Ocarina 3D/Majora 3D Remaster, Goldeneye Remaster etc etc etc. There's a lot of guaranteed success to be had.

I regret selling my Switch once the new version finally comes out I'll be in videogame bliss.

A Metroid trilogy would be awesome. I never really played those.

My friend bought me Hades, looks awesome!

On 1/12/2021 at 5:24 AM, ZoSoRose said:

A Metroid trilogy would be awesome. I never really played those.

My friend bought me Hades, looks awesome!

Have you played Super Metroid on the SNES? Absolutely awesome game and it's available on the Switch store thingy. 

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Have you played Super Metroid on the SNES? Absolutely awesome game and it's available on the Switch store thingy. 

I've completed it, but I feel it's one of those "one time playthrough" kind of games. it's puzzle based, and therefore a second playthrough kinda misses the point of the game.

the action itself I found less than satisfying. miyamoto is known for not being a fan of "shooting games", he looks to other ways to play games.

personally, I'm more of a shooter guy, and that's why I prefer something like robocop 3 (snes) over super metroid.

it's also a game (metroid) that you can't leave behind for a couple of weeks, and step back into. it's too much of a maze. especially metroid prime, you need to be dedicated and focus on the game, or you'll get lost. it was an awesome experience, a brilliant game, but at the end of the day I prefer my perfect dark multiplayer matches (shooting, and thus inadequately promoted by nintendo which led to low sales)

sometimes, nintendo's need to be different works against them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

That might be the best summation of Nintendo I've read.

I've also come to realise, that the only reason we have online on a nintendo system at all, is because I think nintendo felt like they had the games (splatoon 2, mario kart, arms), to take advantage of the technology in a way that makes them money.

nintendo does everything (in their own way) to push nintendo online hard on us. Even though most of us might not see the point of nintendo online, in nintendo's vision it makes sense, because it has to make sense in their business model. that's why you can not buy snes and nes games: you need to pay for a nintendo online subscription. that's why you can not play splatoon 2 locally splitscreen: you need to buy a nintendo online membership. 

nintendo online the best way to play these games? My ass.

In their business model, local multiplayer splitscreen games work against the appeal of nintendo online.

Why would you pay for nintendo online, when you can just invite your friends and play splatoon 2 on a single system, splitscreen? it would cost nintendo money (again, in their opinion, not necessarily ours).

Notice how all these third party games (duke nukem, turok 2, etc...) do not have a splitscreen multiplayer option anymore? (they had, on the N64) I doubt that is a coincidence. Different times, different business model. Imagine those games offering a splitscreen multiplayer deathmatch option. Why the hell would you be playing online splatoon 2 then?

I am genuinly surprised that mario kart has a splitscreen option. But remember, it came early in switch's lifetime, and it is a deluxe version of mario kart WiiU, which has local splitscreen; Nintendo would have a hard time explaining the lack of local multiplayer on that one.

For me, this is the only way to make sense of nintendo's recent decisions.

Edited by action

@action100% on everything you said.

I feel like Nintendo is, perhaps somewhat ironically, the least consumer friendly of the big three. Be it the undying commitment to Nintendo Online, overpriced peripherals, no sales, and so forth. It comes down to them being able to charge what they charge simply because they can. They have the heavy hitters (Mario, Zelda, etc...) and nostalgia on their side, plus a fiercely loyal fanbase.

The funny thing is, I almost feel like they would be set to make more money if they did things like Sony or Microsoft. Make the old games available for purchase instead of committing so hard to Switch Online. At the very least - give the option. I think Game Pass works so effectively because by itself it is a great deal, but it doesn't replace the ability for people to still buy those games at reasonable costs to own forever.

• Like 1