10 Songs that prove Axl Rose is Rock's Greatest Lyricist

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Meanwhile Bob Dylan has a Nobel Prize for Literature over his lyrics.  But no, Axls the best, yep.

I agree about Dylan (and others) being better than Axl but honestly, after the Obama and UN Nobel Peace Prizes, I think even Alternative Nation is more respectable than the Nobel Prize :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, BorderlineCrazy said:

I agree about Dylan (and others) being better than Axl but honestly, after the Obama and UN Nobel Peace Prizes, I think even Alternative Nation is more respectable than the Nobel Prize :lol:

Though its value may have declined in the eyes of some the idea that it has been given to a rock musician is a very important thing.  I mean for a type of music that was always consider diddley yokel plankton and not worthy of being considered among the arts its really something for a rock musician to get it.  An immense thing.  It is also perhaps indicative of the form being firmly ensconced in history and no longer anything to do with contemporary culture.  I think its a really important thing, I'd usually be against this sort of thing but Dylan really deserves it I think.

I know Guns has a limited catalogue of music compared to most great bands but some things about Guns make them one of my favorite bands despite this.  Axl's lyricism is one of those things.  He has such a way with lyrics

Nice to see Coma at number 1 on that list and Breakdown is tragically underappreciated, so it's nice to see it place so high on this

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2

He's not the best by a mile. But his lyrics are good and different enough to separate himself from ho-hum run of the mill song writers. His lyrics have personality, not just generic writing, and that's a really big thing. That's one reason he can pull off shit like SCOM, NR, and Patience without them becoming too cheezy.

I honestly think he hits his stride on songs like You Could Be Mine, Locomotive, Bad Apples, My Michelle, shit like that. Bitch slap rappin and your cocaine tongue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J Dog said:

He's not the best by a mile. But his lyrics are good and different enough to separate himself from ho-hum run of the mill song writers. His lyrics have personality, not just generic writing, and that's a really big thing. That's one reason he can pull off shit like SCOM, NR, and Patience without them becoming too cheezy.

I honestly think he hits his stride on songs like You Could Be Mine, Locomotive, Bad Apples, My Michelle, shit like that. Bitch slap rappin and your cocaine tongue.

I always thought Civil War deserved respect too.  I mean it's not a deep and searching musical Apocalypse Now that deconstructs the nature of war or anything but it's emotionally really effective.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I always thought Civil War deserved respect too.  I mean it's not a deep and searching musical Apocalypse Now that deconstructs the nature of war or anything but it's emotionally really effective.

For sure. That's one of my favorites actually.

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

For sure. That's one of my favorites actually.

Tastes Good Don't It makes the cut for me too, based on the following line 'fuck with me and I'll fuck your mother' :lol:  I mean i don't know about any of yous but to me that shit is fuckin' inspired, why did some rapper not come up with that? :lol:

• Like 3

It always astounds me how people react to these types of opinion pieces. All of the responses countering her opinion are just as subjective and no more "correct". The only thing truly wrong is trying to tell someone else that their opinion is wrong. Her opinion is right for her as well as many, many others. Those that don't agree -- well, their opinion is right for them. End of story. Move on already.

Why some like to spend time trying to convince others that said opinion is wrong is beyond me. It's an exercise in futility.

Just now, thunderram said:

It always astounds me how people react to these types of opinion pieces. All of the responses countering her opinion are just as subjective and no more "correct". The only thing truly wrong is trying to tell someone else that their opinion is wrong. Her opinion is right for her as well as many, many others. Those that don't agree -- well, their opinion is right for them. End of story. Move on already.

Why some like to spend time trying to convince others that said opinion is wrong is beyond me. It's an exercise in futility.

Which effectively destroys the notion of discussion and renders message boards to bands pointless except to list tour dates.  I don't care if someone says I'm wrong, do it, tell me how and then we have a discussion and maybe I'll learn something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Which effectively destroys the notion of discussion and renders message boards to bands pointless except to list tour dates.  I don't care if someone says I'm wrong, do it, tell me how and then we have a discussion and maybe I'll learn something.

Not even that can save these kinds of people:

"Slash sucks!"

"Why?"

"Cause he fucking sucks!"

Ah. Ok

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Tastes Good Don't It makes the cut for me too, based on the following line 'fuck with me and I'll fuck your mother' :lol:  I mean i don't know about any of yous but to me that shit is fuckin' inspired, why did some rapper not come up with that? :lol:

Yeah that song always tripped me out. He's good for some lines like that here and there. I like on Dead Horse, "I met an old cowboy, he had that look in his eyes, something tells me he's been here before cuz, experience makes you wise."

"I'm the son of a gun and the gun of a son that, brought back the devil in me"

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah that song always tripped me out. He's good for some lines like that here and there. I like on Dead Horse, "I met an old cowboy, he had that look in his eyes, something tells me he's been here before cuz, experience makes you wise."

"I'm the son of a gun and the gun of a son that, brought back the devil in me"

The cowboy line is brilliant and I'm not sure why, which makes it all the more brilliant.

• Like 2

@AxlsFavoriteRose crazy? Not to me. I do see a very heartbroken person deeply troubled by past experiences, but a survivor who is doing all he can to cope with it. I do know the look in his eye you are referring to though. It is a little scary at times, but sexy as hell at the same time. Makes me just want to hug him and him it's going to be OK. :wacko:

Just now, BlueJean Baby said:

@AxlsFavoriteRose crazy? Not to me. I do see a very heartbroken person deeply troubled by past experiences, but a survivor who is doing all he can to cope with it. I do know the look in his eye you are referring to though. It is a little scary at times, but sexy as hell at the same time. Makes me just want to hug him and him it's going to be OK. :wacko:

it may be part of his stage persona.i have spent hours and hours and hours of my time looking at concert footage and i see what appears to be a crazy on the edge no one's gonna know what i will do next  look. and he did love being part of the "most dangerous band in the world" so maybe that accounts for it. idk that's just my opinion, but to me he looks sexy as hell when he does it :shrugs:

41 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The cowboy line is brilliant and I'm not sure why, which makes it all the more brilliant.

I read an old interview with Axl somewhere recently (that RS issue maybe?) where he was talking about that past life stuff. He said he was a cowboy in a past life. When I read that, I immediately realized what this line means to Axl. 

On 12/30/2016 at 4:04 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it may be part of his stage persona.i have spent hours and hours and hours of my time looking at concert footage and i see what appears to be a crazy on the edge no one's gonna know what i will do next  look. and he did love being part of the "most dangerous band in the world" so maybe that accounts for it. idk that's just my opinion, but to me he looks sexy as hell when he does it :shrugs:

Sexy as hell for sure..:P

Back to the topic, I think the reason I love his lyrics is because they are heartfelt and passionate. I have been listening to songs on Chinese Democracy for the past few days and some of them are pretty deep. His lyrics always keep me thinking and relating them back to my shit in life. 

On 12/30/2016 at 4:19 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

there is no doubt he is a very talented man. God i hated CD when it came out but there are some songs on it i love now. of course having seen Slash play them makes it easier. i love Better, There Was A Time and This i Love especially...

I always loved it. It was definitely different but I loved it. ;)

31 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I read an old interview with Axl somewhere recently (that RS issue maybe?) where he was talking about that past life stuff. He said he was a cowboy in a past life. When I read that, I immediately realized what this line means to Axl. 

Always thought he'd make a great movie cowboy.  Charles Manson too for that matter, some kinda evil runt bad guys side kick.

21 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

because they're both short arses

Can you picture it though, in some mad Alex Cox style alternative-western? :lol:

Lanky people look stupid on horses unless they're Gary Cooper or Randolph Scott.  Or Clint...or John Wayne.

Alright, I tried and failed to defend your point :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1