Tommy Stinson: "I think that might have helped spark that reunion thing"

Tommy%20Stinson%20Guns%20N%20Roses%20Seb

I never thought it was going to happen, to be honest with you. From what I knew back then, the wounds were too deep to fill. And so, cut to [2013]. I’m starting to do Replacements shows again, and my personal situation was such that when they (GN’R) called to ask me to do [what] must have been about five different tours . . . I couldn’t go because I had a little kid to take care of here in Hudson. I think that might have helped spark that reunion thing. Because I wasn’t quitting or anything, it’s I just couldn’t… The Replacements weekend gigs were good enough for me to live on. I wasn’t able to tour for Guns but also didn’t need to at that time. So I think that kind of pushed it more than anything, if you ask me. Just my lack of being able to.

I know all those cats. I mean, I never met Slash before, as far as I know, but all those guys are buddies of mine. I’m just stoked that they’re out there doing it. I saw two shows now. I saw Kansas, and I saw the Philly show. And they just looked like they’re having a fucking ball and successful tour. It’s good for all of them.

Really nice interview.

9 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

I know all those cats. I mean, I never met Slash before, as far as I know, but all those guys are buddies of mine. I’m just stoked that they’re out there doing it. I saw two shows now. I saw Kansas, and I saw the Philly show. And they just looked like they’re having a fucking ball and successful tour. It’s good for all of them.

love love love this! rock3

tommy Stinson sucks. i used to be a fan of tommy in guns n roses. but not anymore. tommy is a big reason axl still doesn't pull the trigger on chinese democracy 2 and chinese democracy 3 and the Chinese democracy remix cds. and tommy is the bassist player on all these albums. not duff. what a disappointment. tommy doesn't even talk about when Going Down is coming out and what chinese album Going Down is coming out on. tommy sucks. Going Down is GREAT but tommy SUCKS. it sucks neither tommy or axl will release Going Down as a proper mp3 and on the next chinese guns n roses CD. and it sucks tommy never plays Going Down live at a gig too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I like how everybody things he was the most important part of this reunion

Yeah, that's kinda of irritating. This isn't as bad as some others I've read though. 

27 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

tommy Stinson sucks. i used to be a fan of tommy in guns n roses. but not anymore. tommy is a big reason axl still doesn't pull the trigger on chinese democracy 2 and chinese democracy 3 and the Chinese democracy remix cds. and tommy is the bassist player on all these albums. not duff. what a disappointment. tommy doesn't even talk about when Going Down is coming out and what chinese album Going Down is coming out on. tommy sucks. Going Down is GREAT but tommy SUCKS. it sucks neither tommy or axl will release Going Down as a proper mp3 and on the next chinese guns n roses CD. and it sucks tommy never plays Going Down live at a gig too.

Lulz 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Well that's stupid of you to think that way. In this case Tommy is making a point about Duff returning in 2014 might have helped sparked 'that reunion thing'. He's completely right. Even Bumble knew at this point.

• Like 1

Tommy is sort of right. Like him or not, Tommy "The General" Stinson was a key piece of NuGNR and Chinese Democracy. He had been in the band for nearly a decade and a half by Axl's side. Maybe him being busy didn't "spark" the reunion technically but him taking leave only to be replaced by Duff symbolized the eminent end of the NuGN'R era.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Well that's stupid of you to think that way. In this case Tommy is making a point about Duff returning in 2014 might have helped sparked 'that reunion thing'. He's completely right. Even Bumble knew at this point.

I think Tommy is making the point that he had other priorities, his kid and The Replacements. Tommy didn't say he asked Axl to call Duff. Meaning Tommy didn't play a role in getting Duff back.

Bumblefoot didn't know anything. He just told Axl that after Vegas he was gone. Then DJ was asked to make a new album and tour with Sixx A.M. 

What took place here was that Tommy, Bumblefoot and DJ figured out they could do better things other than doing the same old GN'R Tour again and again.

So after Vegas Axl had a decision to make 1) Retire 2) Hire new people yet again 3) Eat his pride and call Slash

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

Bumblefoot didn't know anything. He just told Axl that after Vegas he was gone. Then DJ was asked to make a new album and tour with Sixx A.M. 

What took place here was that Tommy, Bumblefoot and DJ figured out they could do better things other than doing the same old GN'R Tour again and again.

Wrong.

54 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

There might happened a lot of things that led to the reunion. Tommys abstinence is probably one of them.

But hey, you said it, so it must be true. It's stupid to think that the most important part was that Axl and Slash were ready and mature enough to bury the hatchet.

Just now, Free Bird said:

There might happened a lot of things that led to the reunion. Tommys abstinence is probably one of them.

But hey, you said it, so it must be true. It's stupid to think that the most important part was that Axl and Slash were ready and mature enough to bury the hatchet.

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Really? Axl himself said he called Slash. Tommy explained in the interview what situation he was facing. BBF told Axl after Vegas he was gone. DJ joined Sixx A.M.

I let the band members & crew know I was leaving on March 1, 2014, soon as we met for the first rehearsal for the tours. I offered to help with finding my own replacement, offered suggestions and to train whoever it would be so they'd be 'show ready', and finished all booked shows. During the tours I started hearing rumblings about the 2016 plans (from crew/other)

Bumblefoot

Just now, Silent Jay said:

I let the band members & crew know I was leaving on March 1, 2014, soon as we met for the first rehearsal for the tours. I offered to help with finding my own replacement, offered suggestions and to train whoever it would be so they'd be 'show ready', and finished all booked shows. During the tours I started hearing rumblings about the 2016 plans (from crew/other)

Bumblefoot

Yes, BBF made clear to them he was leaving. Why? Because he wanted to do something else. "Rumblings" doesn't mean the reunion was a done thing.  BBF could've waited and see what plans Axl had for future. Wasn't that what Richard and Frank did?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Most important part? Well he pretty much did get the whole thing going. If he doesn't quit or turn away gigs, Axl doesn't call Duff. And if axl doesn't call and your with Duff, he doesn't get over his gripe with Slash. Frankly, the fans should be thanking Tommy 

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I think Tommy is making the point that he had other priorities, his kid and The Replacements. Tommy didn't say he asked Axl to call Duff. Meaning Tommy didn't play a role in getting Duff back.

So after Vegas Axl had a decision to make 1) Retire 2) Hire new people yet again 3) Eat his pride and call Slash

I agree with the Tommy point but again, Axl needed someone to fill in on bass so who else to call but Duff? So really, if Tommy doesn't quit or refuse to do gigs, even though he didn't specifically ask Axl to call duff, It's irrelevant. If Axl doesn't call Duff, Slash doesn't return to Guns N' Roses because it's beyond clear that Duff is reason they're talking. Tommy and Bumblefoot wanted to do different things.. Bumblefoot said himself he told them he was quitting during the South American run, which the band confirmed and we have the thread here on mygnrforum to back that up, and he wanted to train his replacement. Maybe Axl was just warming up to the idea of slash returning..

I think Dj quit on his own. I mean I'm not sure how deep into it they got with him really but, I think he's the one that knew about the plans I don't think Axl wanted to ditch him. Ashba quit on his own, maybe if Motley Crue doesn't retire then dj would have stayed but, luckily that didn't happen :P 

8 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Most important part? Well he pretty much did get the whole thing going. If he doesn't quit or turn away gigs, Axl doesn't call Duff. And if axl doesn't call and your with Duff, he doesn't get over his gripe with Slash. Frankly, the fans should be thanking Tommy 

If Axl and Duff didn't share a hotel, if Coachella didn't make a request, if Tommy didn't have time to tour, if Ashba didn't join Sixx A.M. full time.

If, if, if... all important ifs. More important than Axl and Slash were willing to work together again? If they weren't willing to do that, all the other ifs would be useless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Bumblefoot

This absolutely true. I think some of you are just getting completely confused about the timing of this all :facepalm: :lol: 

Tommy didn't abruptly quit, he eased out of gnr rather than leave Axl high and dry like others did to him in the past. Who else to call but Duff? Bumblefoot clearly had enough and there's evidence for months even a couple of years that he wanted out. So he quit but offered to be classy and train his own replacement. Duff helping clear things up with Axl helped Axl see that slash wasn't a bad guy. Axl thanked all of the lineups of gnr at the golden gods so he was clearly cool with Slash and over things, but they still hadn't spoken. But who else to get but slash? Ashba found out about this all and just quit, knowing he had something else to fall back on and he could show respect to Axl and everybody keeping this a secret by not speaking about gnr and citing sixx Am and his family as the reasons why until gnr could speak since no one, not even Bumblefoot, was talking about gnr. 

Its very good public relations wise on the part of Ashba and the whole thing makes sense. Maybe some around here just don't like how the picture looks and wants to repaint things to their own liking? 

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

If Axl and Duff didn't share a hotel, if Coachella didn't make a request, if Tommy didn't have time to tour, if Ashba didn't join Sixx A.M. full time.

If, if, if... all important ifs. More important than Axl and Slash were willing to work together again? If they weren't willing to do that, all the other ifs would be useless.

Well it doesn't excuse ignoring facts. Certain dominos have to fall for a lot of things to happen in life, this is no different. Gnr reuniting isn't because of one person alone but, tommy and duff probably helped the most. Coachella calling is irrelevant considering they turned down numerous offers for significant money for over a decade. It's pretty clear though, like it or not, that slash doesn't speak to Axl unless Duff plays the middleman. Duff might not be playing the middle man unless Tommy quits so yes, thank Tommy 

Edited by Billsfan

2 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Well it doesn't excuse ignoring facts. Certain dominos have to fall for a lot of things to happen in life, this is no different. Gnr reuniting isn't because of one person alone but, tommy and duff probably helped the most. Coachella calling is irrelevant considering they turned down numerous offers for significant money for over a decade. It's pretty clear though, like it or not, that slash doesn't speak to Axl unless Duff plays the middleman. Duff might not be playing the middle man unless Tommy quits so yes, thank Tommy 

You talk about things being facts while them being just assumptions (though, really realistical assumptions). We don't know for a fact Duff was the middleman. Everybody, me including, believes he was.

What we know is Axl called Slash and both of them found a way to work together. These are facts. 

We still don't know what was decretory for the reunion or for Axl's call.

All we do is speculating and to put one and one together. That leaves a margin, therefor these aren't facts for sure.

But again, even if you're right and that's how all that happened. 

If Axl and Slash weren't willing to work together again, Tommy's abstinence would be completely irrelevant. Tommy is just a piece of a puzzle, not more.

The main issue were Axl and Slash, always.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

I didn't understand any of that 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Of course there was a chains of events. But that doesn't change the fact that Axl had the last word when comes to the reunion. It wasn't up to Duff, Tommy or the Coachella guy. Had Axl said thanks, but no thank you. We wouldn't be having this reunion. 

• Like 1