Same setlist, different day

11 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

Iso again.  

Back to back shows require a fresh second show 

when returning to a market they have already played a year previous the show is required to be freshened up.  

According to the sheer sales numbers and attendance number, it is not required.  Your wants are a different thing, and if you are tired of what GNR is doing just move on instead of being condescending and pretending that your wants are what is "required" of the band

Again, if you don't like the setlist, don't go.  There is really not much else to say about that though because if you don't want to go that is on you.  GNR are doing just fine without your own "standards" projected on them 

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

So you don't like the setlist...you don't like them playing CD songs...you don't like them playing covers....you don't like the jams...and you don't like that there is no music...

And you constantly voice these same complaints in every thread you post in since you joined here. Is this what it means to be a fan these days? 

Yet you condescend to others when they say they enjoy themselves at a show or even two shows?? 

Here's a thought, as you don't think the band is good enough for you since they don't do what you think they should:  Go to one show only..then find another band to follow. One who can meet your "high expectations" which in your mind seems to be the better way to be. 

You summed up my thoughts perfectly.  Well said

Maybe they have no choice but to play the same bunch of songs every night because of Axl... he's not a young guy anymore, and the way he uses his voice must be a strain and I can imagine it being easier for him to do a routine and play more or less the same songs every night. 

4 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

According to the sheer sales numbers and attendance number, it is not required.  Your wants are a different thing, and if you are tired of what GNR is doing just move on instead of being condescending and pretending that your wants are what is "required" of the band

Again, if you don't like the setlist, don't go.  There is really not much else to say about that though because if you don't want to go that is on you.  GNR are doing just fine without your own "standards" projected on them 

Oh 

I feel my opinions are just stating the minimum that a band should do   To keep relevant and to give its fans an experience.  

I am very glad my local show on this second North American tour leg isn't the first show.  So I can actually read and see what the show is going to be about.   If it's not for me I won't go.  

It this touring circus keeps going with out any major changes.  I hope more people stop going  

seeing this show more than once has no desire to me as a fan.   

This tour is for people that listen to scom when it comes on the radio.  Not fans that have heard it enough for a lifetime and want to hear a new Guns song on the radio 

8 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

This tour is for people that listen to scom when it comes on the radio.  Not fans that have heard it enough for a lifetime and want to hear a new Guns song on the radio 

This tour is for people who want to listen to Slash play with GNR for the first time in over 20 years.  This tour is for seeing the big three on stage together playing songs that sound fantastic for two and a half hours.  Go or don't go, they are doing fairly well on this tour either way.  If you have already lost interest, I respect that and understand why.  However that has no relevance on what GNR "should" be doing, nor does it automatically make people who enjoy these shows as having "extremely low standards" according to you 

It this touring circus keeps going with out any major changes.  I hope more people stop going  

Really? I don't hope more people stop going to shows if I don't agree with what a band is doing, I simply say do your own thing and I would find another band that would satisfy my wants a bit more

Edited by WhazUp

25 minutes ago, Padme said:

In a chart could be 200 songs. What position? What radios around the world have played CD millions of times? How many radios are playing it now. I listen to rock radio while driving. I never heard CD. However I have heard Since I Don't Have You and Don't Cry (Alt. lyrics) To be honest it was shocking but it was so cool :lol:  

You said it yourself. You are not sure the majority of the people at shows know CD exist. So why bother? After all NuGN'R have been playing CD songs since 2001.

It was in the 30s. I think 38.  It is on billboard.com when you look at the artist. When I say charted I mean it in the past tense. That it made it on the Billboard Charts. GNR did not have very many songs that charted.

I rarely hear any Guns n' Roses on the rock stations around here. For a while I'd hear Mr. Brownstone every once in a while or maybe Sweet Child. I think in the last month I've heard  Patience and Paradise City each once and that is it for the songs. 

When the station did a back to back GNR songs once an hour promotion a handful of months before they released the tour dates Better was one of the songs they played a few times.

They probably bother because they like playing the song.

Edited by sanity_lost
many not any

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

This tour is for people who want to listen to Slash play with GNR for the first time in over 20 years.  This tour is for seeing the big three on stage together playing songs that sound fantastic for two and a half hours.  Go or don't go, they are doing fairly well on this tour either way.  If you have already lost interest, I respect that and understand why.  However that has no relevance on what GNR "should" be doing, nor does it automatically make people who enjoy these shows as having "extremely low standards" according to you 

Yes it does. 

Not just for shows but for supporting the band period.   This band delivers nothing to fans other than a repeating concert    There is tons more a properly functioning band should do 

I see lots of people including my opinion of you as have extremely low fandom standards 

again as a one off show this tour is fine.  

As fans let's hope for more!   

8 hours ago, gnfnr2k said:

Here is the thing some people miss who defend playing the same set list every night (sans 1 or 2 songs).  Its not just the fans who follow every show that get bored with the set list, the band must get bored with playing the same set list over and over each night. And its not like each leg has a new set list. At least if they did that it would not be so bad.   The band gets complacent and just goes through the motions because they must get bored playing the same songs over and over.  It does not need to be like PJ where you change it up every night and no two set lists are the same. Just have your core staple hits like 10-15 songs or so then rotate out the other 10.

The part in bold is the only real "problem" (If I can call it that) with the staple setlist for me, and not the fans that get bored because they choose to follow every show via periscope and youtube. GnR used to be a band that hated planned and predictable shows with the same songs in a row. But of course that was 25-20 years ago, and we can't expect from them now (or can we?)

The funny thing is that in 1991, before the Illusions came out, there were fans complaining because the set consisted mostly of songs they hadn't heard before instead of songs from AFD and Lies. Imagine that! The band even got some negative concert reviews for the same reason! Here is Axl explaining:

"There might be a delay between songs, because we've just got this big fucking list and we pick which song we'll play next as we go, to see how it feels best with you. That way we don't get bored and you don't go 'I saw that show in Toledo' - fuck that shit. Also we've been playing a lot of new stuff seeing as how you people have been waiting for a long time for the album to come out. And it'd be kind of a really pussy-ish thing to do to just come up here and play AFD - it'd be kinda like jerking off". (5:50 min. mark)

Edited by Blackstar

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Maybe they have no choice but to play the same bunch of songs every night because of Axl... he's not a young guy anymore, and the way he uses his voice must be a strain and I can imagine it being easier for him to do a routine and play more or less the same songs every night. 

If that's the case cool.  

Why can't the band come out and do a interview to this very topic. Or many others 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

Yes it does. 

Not just for shows but for supporting the band period.   This band delivers nothing to fans other than a repeating concert    There is tons more a properly functioning band should do 

I see lots of people including my opinion of you as have extremely low fandom standards 

again as a one off show this tour is fine.  

As fans let's hope for more!   

As a two off show this tour is fine as well.  And for some people a ten-off amount of shows this tour is fine.  My issue is you being condescending and talking about how us who like more than you as being wrong for enjoying it.  That is what you are implying when inaccurately saying we have "low fandom standards" - as if you can objectively quantify that to begin with!

if you see everyone around you being happy with seeing what they are seeing when they go to multiple shows maybe that is a cue - instead of saying the issue is with the band and every single one of us - maybe, just maybe you should realize that your way or the highway is not really how things work

And I know tons of properly functioning bands - Rush - for example that I saw back to back nights with the same verbatim setlist.  GNR are doing fine this year

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

But it's not an Izzy song, it's a GnR song, written by Izzy, Duff and Slash. Duff sings throughout the whole song (he's just not so loud in the mix as Izzy's vocals), and Axl and Slash help sing the chorus and bridge. So if they really dig this song and want to play it then Izzy not being there shouldn't be a reason not to play it.

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

Who said it was primarily written by Izzy? But anyway, yeah, they can play whatever they want to, but I'm surprised people think Dust N' Bones is a no go without Izzy, while that's the one song in their catalogue with so many people singing on it and not just background vocals... even Slash has a lead vocal part during the bridge.

It was primarily written by Izzy.  At any rate, the issue again as I have said is not that they don't have a right to play or whatever you wanna call, it is an issue of class.  There i just no reason to play that or 14 Years without Izzy.   If you cant' figure out why that is MY opinion, then think about it.  

12 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

If that's the case cool.  

Why can't the band come out and do a interview to this very topic. Or many others 

Because they don't need to at the moment according to the booming sales numbers and the great majority of satisfied concertgoers - it isn't like there is this huge demand for GNR to say why they chose the setlist they chose.  

There is a big want from us fans for a mere interview in general with Axl and Slash and I would think that can benefit their sales a tiny bit as well, however I digress and that is for another topic

10 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

It was primarily written by Izzy.  At any rate, the issue again as I have said is not that they don't have a right to play or whatever you wanna call, it is an issue of class.  There i just no reason to play that or 14 Years without Izzy.   If you cant' figure out why that is MY opinion, then think about it.  

They play DTJ though, which is more Izzy than Dust N' Bones and 14 Years.

22 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

But how do you know it was written primarily by Izzy? You're friends with Izzy and he told you? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I find it funny internet people like you always assume things they can't possibly know.

And MY opinion is that it's a GnR song, seeing as it was released on a GnR album, that's actually even a fact, so an issue of class has nothing to do with it. I understand that if they played ''14 Years'' without Izzy it might be a bit odd because it's a personal song about Axl and Izzy's friendship so someone else singing it with Axl might be kinda weird, but a song like Dust N' Bones, which has most of the bandmembers singing on it and was written by three of the members in the group, wouldn't be that weird to play without him, in my opinion.

Edited by EvanG

25 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

It was in the 30s. I think 38.  It is on billboard.com when you look at the artist. When I say charted I mean it in the past tense. That it made it on the Billboard Charts. GNR did not have very many songs that charted.

I rarely hear any Guns n' Roses on the rock stations around here. For a while I'd hear Mr. Brownstone every once in a while or maybe Sweet Child. I think in the last month I've heard  Patience and Paradise City each once and that is it for the songs. 

When the station did a back to back GNR songs once an hour promotion a handful of months before they released the tour dates Better was one of the songs they played a few times.

They probably bother because they like playing the song.

So 30/ 38 these guys used to have songs in the top 5!!! They are playing those of course. They have to. That's what the mojority of people attending the shows want to hear. That's why it doesn't make any sense to rotate Patience and Don't Cry. 

I'm lucky, my local radio plays GN'R songs often. And once in a while they surprise me with some unusual songs. But I never heard anything from CD

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He's credited as the sole songwriter and lead vocalist.

Yah, but I don't think he's sung it with GnR live (maybe he has)....I get your point, you're sort of convincing me, but sort of not :)

Edited by tsinindy

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Yah, but I don't think he's sung it with GnR live (maybe he has)....I get your point, you're sort of convincing me, but sort of not :)

It's OK. I get your point too. :) DTJ was a song that they kept playing live after Izzy left, Axl even dedicated it to Izzy  :P

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Because they don't need to at the moment according to the booming sales numbers and the great majority of satisfied concertgoers - it isn't like there is this huge demand for GNR to say why they chose the setlist they chose.  

There is a big want from us fans for a mere interview in general with Axl and Slash and I would think that can benefit their sales a tiny bit as well, however I digress and that is for another topic

Again I am not sure why you are using sales figures to justify your opinion.  

Now you are saying becaus this band has sold a ton of shows they do not need to do any interviews? 

Again I will go back to walking to that dumb wall I met last night that actually made more sense than you 

so now when this band didn't sell jack shit in the past 10 years in regards to ticket sales.  With your logic they should of been out tomdoing countless hours of press to get buts in the seats 

why don't you compare them to other band again as well like you do with setlists.   You know other bands that do press.   Do interviews.  

Or just keep pulling random analogies out of a monkies ass 

what I have gotten out of you 

the tour is great.  They can keep doing what they want   Just be happy 

set list is just fine. As long as you say so 

everything can be judged off of ticket sales 

we can compare this band to other major bands but only when it fits your opinion 

again super low fandom expectations 

I expect my favorite band to

change up setlists 

play it's own music 

do interviews 

release new music. 

You expect much less.  Welcome to being a sheep   Baaaah 

1 hour ago, Padme said:

So 30/ 38 these guys used to have songs in the top 5!!! They are playing those of course. They have to. That's what the mojority of people attending the shows want to hear. That's why it doesn't make any sense to rotate Patience and Don't Cry. 

I'm lucky, my local radio plays GN'R songs often. And once in a while they surprise me with some unusual songs. But I never heard anything from CD

Hmm... per Billboard Hot 100 they've had the following:

Sweet Child: 1

November Rain: 3

Patience: 4

Paradise City: 5

Jungle: 7

Don't Cry: 10

You Could Be Mine: 29

Live and Let Die: 33

Chinese Democracy: 34

Sympahty for the Devil: 55

Since I Don't Have You: 69

Yesterdays: 72

Nightrain: 93

This being the Hot 100 it is U.S. based. Sells/Airplay and these days includes streaming counts I think.

7 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Hmm... per Billboard Hot 100 they've had the following:

Sweet Child: 1

November Rain: 3

Patience: 4

Paradise City: 5

Jungle: 7

Don't Cry: 10

You Could Be Mine: 29

Live and Let Die: 33

Chinese Democracy: 34

Sympahty for the Devil: 55

Since I Don't Have You: 69

Yesterdays: 72

Nightrain: 93

This being the Hot 100 it is U.S. based. Sells/Airplay and these days includes streaming counts I think.

Sorry I don't follow. You are showing me songs in the top 5. Isn't that what I said? Of course no every single one of them was. But I never said they were. Now What I don't see in the top 5 not even in the top 10 is any CD song.