Same setlist, different day

28 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

This is the norm with like 90 percent of all big acts though, I don't think it is reasonable to expect a completely different show when reality dictates a different set of expectations that are the norm.  Acts like Pearl Jam and Springsteen are in the minority in terms of major setlist changes from show to show/leg to leg.  

Those other acts and most big acts and bands that have been around for 30 years do not play so many cover songs

i honestly couldn't care less about what other bands do.   

So what is reasonable?   When this band plays back to back shows in a market?  

What should someone expect when this band returns to a market they played one year previous? 

Is it so unreasonable to expect a musical act to play new music?   Or is it perfectly fine to just keep playing the same old songs for the past 30 years and to through in a new cover song ?!

How about the order in which these songs are sung ?  Is it so bad to ask that the order even gets switched up every once in a while 

how about some interviews or stories from the band?  How about they answer some questions about what has gone on in the past and what is going on in the future.  I actual interview with actual questions and actual follow up questions 

is it ok to compare this band to other band for those requests as well?  People like to say well other bands hardly ever switch up the set list.  Cool. These other bands that do all the above? You know interviews.  Umm new music not lots of covers 

or is only ok to compare this band to other bands when it fits the point you are trying to make 

1 hour ago, TheBaconMan said:

i honestly couldn't care less about what other bands do.   

So what is reasonable?   When this band plays back to back shows in a market?  

Well to look at is reasonable you have to look at what is usually done by other bands, it is not unreasonable or uncommon in the same tour to play a similar setlist and have the same setup when playing different venues in the US.  The majority of the people going to the shows are going to be either first timers to GNR in general or to this specific tour.  

I would love a bit more setlist variety, sure.  However the NITLT tour is still under way, I think it is still reasonable for them to do what they are doing.  If they continue the same ol' stuff after the tour ends, that is when I will be complaining lol

Edited by WhazUp

9 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Well to look at is reasonable you have to look at what is usually done by other bands, it is not unreasonable or uncommon in the same tour to play a similar setlist and have the same setup when playing different venues in the US.  The majority of the people going to the shows are going to be either first timers to GNR in general or to this specific tour.  

So again for the 1000th time I am saying the setlist is just fine for a one off show 

I am saying it isn't for when they return to a market to play.  Like they are this summer.  Or play back to back shows in the same market.   

Is that clear?   

Do feel it is reasonable for this band to play the same shows in those two mentioned situations 

14 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

I am saying it isn't for when they return to a market to play.  Like they are this summer.  Or play back to back shows in the same market.   

Is that clear?   

Do feel it is reasonable for this band to play the same shows in those two mentioned situations 

I do feel it is reasonable.  Its the same tour, different venues, different people at the shows  It is reasonable and expected, like I told you in all of my previous posts here

I expect a completely different show.  Not a 15% change in a set list. 

This is a quote from one of your posts in this thread.  I totally get as a fan wanting something different after you have seen it once.  I would love more setlist variety for GNR, love it.  But you said you "expect" a completely different show, THAT is the unreasonable thing here.  I saw Rush on back to back nights and on different legs of the same tour, I saw GNR last year on back to back nights, U2 on back to back shows, etc.  Anyone who has a reasonable knowledge of what big arena and stadium touring acts do know what to expect - which is not a complete overhaul of the setlist on the exact same tour. 

Now if GNR don't do something different after all legs of the NITLT tour are over?  That is when I will start having issues

Edited by WhazUp

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

I do feel it is reasonable.  Its the same tour, different venues, different people at the shows  It is reasonable and expected, like I told you in all of my previous posts here

So when they play the same venue in back to shows in the same city.  You are ok that the set list barely changes.  You are ok with the fact that the order of the songs doesn't change 

so when they come back to North America and pkay these shows in markets very close to ones they just played a year previous. You are ok with them doing the same schtick? 

Cool

I am not.  

Mad a fan I would love to travel to mupltle cities to see this band. Something I have done in the past many times.   Why on earth as a fan would I do that now   There is only so many times you can see the same movie 

14 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

So when they play the same venue in back to shows in the same city.  You are ok that the set list barely changes.  You are ok with the fact that the order of the songs doesn't change 

I saw back to back shows last year in Los Angeles, and there were song order changes and setlist changes.  Those 2 shows equally blew my mind - because I am realistic and know what to expect from big act touring bands because I have experience with it.  I am not saying you have to be satisfied, you are perfectly valid in having an opinion that is that of dissatisfaction.  However I know for sure that my opinions on things are different than what you should realistically expect from big touring acts in arenas and stadiums.   

I went into this whole tour at the start knowing that these setlist things would be happening exactly as it is, because I know how bands of this size usually work.  And I cannot fault them for anything they are doing now, even if I have different wants in mind as a hardcore fan

Like I said before, if the same ol' same ol' keeps happening after the NITLT, that is when I will start to be dissatisfied

Edited by WhazUp

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But not every band does do this. Guns are second to only Kiss in setlist stodginess. Even The Stones introduce deep cuts (and a new song, Doom and Gloom). Metallica play deep cuts.

But it's not like they didn't introduce deep cuts at all. Coma is a deep cut. One deep cut.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

And there it remains, unmovable.

Not everybody got to hear it. Take me for example: if they don't play this deep cut at my show I'm gonna kick Frank in the balls.

Edited by Rovim

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But not every band does do this. Guns are second to only Kiss in setlist stodginess. Even The Stones introduce deep cuts (and a new song, Doom and Gloom). Metallica play deep cuts.

But then again a lot of bands do that too.  I saw Rush on the Time Machine Tour back to back and it was the exact same setlist.  Same with The Stones when I saw them at the Staples Center twice in 2013 - there was just as much variation for those two Stones shows as there was in the two GNR shows I saw.  Same with U2 when I saw the last tour they did 2 nights in a row

Edited by WhazUp

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Not everybody got to hear it. Take me for example: if they don't play this deep cut at my show I'm gonna kick Frank in the balls.

I am probably going to kick him in the balls irrespective of Coma's inclusion, a song I never cared for anyhow, for his terrible drumming.

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

But then again a lot of bands do that too.  I saw Rush on the Time Machine Tour back to back and it was the exact same setlist.  Same with The Stones when I saw them at the Staples Center twice in 2013 - there was just as much variation for those two Stones shows as there was in the two GNR shows I saw.  Same with U2 when I saw the last tour they did 2 nights in a row

You must have been dreadfully unlucky as Jagger personally re-configures the setlists, and they have had this thing for years whereby people choose what song they should play.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am probably going to kick him in the balls irrespective of Coma's inclusion, a song I never cared for anyhow, for his terrible drumming.

You must have been dreadfully unlucky as Jagger personally re-configures the setlists, and they have had this thing for years whereby people choose what song they should play.

No doubt it was a little bit different, however even looking at the setlists on setlist.fm I am not seeing any super drastic changes from the most recent Stones shows, just a few tunes here and there.  The shows I saw were amazing though, they were just like the GNR shows I saw where there were a few numbers that changes from one night to the other.  All of those shows kicked ass though and I am happy I caught them

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

The point was not kicking Frank in the balls. They introduced one deep cut Slash likes to play. Many people have not experienced this deep cut live with this line up yet.

Setlist complaints are silly. Having said that, I would love a setlist change but for example Coma is a tune I'd like to hear live so this set list works for many people and if they play Catcher I'll be happy. If they play Perfect Crime and Axl can sing it that would also be good.

Coma is like 2 deep cuts anyway. It's long.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

No doubt it was a little bit different, however even looking at the setlists on setlist.fm I am not seeing any super drastic changes from the most recent Stones shows, just a few tunes here and there.  The shows I saw were amazing though, they were just like the GNR shows I saw where there were a few numbers that changes from one night to the other.  All of those shows kicked ass though and I am happy I caught them

You are really selling the Stones short here. What you infact saw was much more variable than what you describe and what Guns N' Roses do with their sets.

From the two LA shows you saw, songs inclusive to one show and not present at the other,

The Last Time

Wild Horses

Factory Girl (first time since 1997!)

Emotional Recuse (live debut!!)

Respectable

Happy

All Down the Line

Far Away Eyes

Sway w/ Mick Taylor

You Got the Silver

That is a difference of ten songs!! And it doesn't get more 'deep cut' than a live debut and a (1968) song not played since 1997.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are really selling the Stones short here. What you infact saw was much more variable than what you describe and what Guns N' Roses do with their sets.

From the two LA shows you saw, songs inclusive to one show and not present at the other,

The Last Time

Wild Horses

Factory Girl (first time since 1997!)

Emotional Recuse (live debut!!)

Respectable

Happy

All Down the Line

Far Away Eyes

Sway w/ Mick Taylor

You Got the Silver

That is a difference of ten songs!! And it doesn't get more 'deep cut' than a live debut and a (1968) song not played since 1997.

At the GNR shows I saw here are the songs present at once show and not the other:

There Was A Time, Patience, Sorry, Used To Love Her, My Michelle, Attitude, Raw Power, Don't Cry (8 total)

So in terms of variability the Stones shows I saw were not a whole lot more variable, only by one more individual show-exclusive song per show.  A tiny more if you take away Attitude and Raw Power for being Duff's vocal spotlight thing but I chose to include them

Edited by WhazUp

Just now, WhazUp said:

At the GNR shows I saw here are the songs present at once show and not the other:

There Was A Time, Patience, Sorry, Used To Love Her, My Michelle, Attitude, Raw Power, Don't Cry

So in terms of variability the Stones shows I saw were not a whole lot more variable, only by two more individual songs.  A tiny more if you take away Attitude and Raw Power for being Duff's vocal spotlight thing but I chose to include them

But you have to give the Stones additional respect for 'Factory Girl' and 'Emotional Rescue', a song not played in over a decade and a song never infact played before. A GN'R equivalent would be say, a performance of ''Shadow of Your Love'' or ''Bad Apples'' and the debut of 'Don't Damn Me'!

Plus also The Stones were playing two brand new songs!!

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But you have to give the Stones additional respect for 'Factory Girl' and 'Emotional Rescue', a song not played in over a decade and a song never infact played before. A GN'R equivalent would be say, a performance of ''Shadow of Your Love'' or ''Bad Apples'' and the debut of 'Don't Damn Me'!

Plus also The Stones were playing two brand new songs!!

But I also give respect for GNR playing There Was A Time which is very rarely played overall as well as My Michelle with Steven Adler (and OTGM) which apparently was a relatively rare sight to see :)

And The Stones were playing two brand new songs because they didn't have a recent huge lineup overhaul as a reason for said tour.  Plus GNR added Coma which is not only a deep cut that  the fans have all wanted, it is also a long ass tune!  Regardless of if it is played every night, it still is a fairly substantial deep cut  - I choose to give GNR props for that as well

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

It doesn't seem healthy to watch every leak and periscope of every show. Of course some are disappointed of the same setlist. But remember they are on a semi reunion tour and play for different people in different cities, not only for you. If they return to the same city or whatever during the same tour, then i would understand some frustration over not change up the setlist.

I have not watched a periscope since i saw them in San Diego, just some clips here and there. And I'm not gonna watch until i see them in Sweden this summer. I don't want to get "bored" before i see them again.

7 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

But I also give respect for GNR playing There Was A Time which is very rarely played overall as well as My Michelle with Steven Adler (and OTGM) which apparently was a relatively rare sight to see :)

And The Stones were playing two brand new songs because they didn't have a recent huge lineup overhaul as a reason for said tour.  Plus GNR added Coma which is not only a deep cut that  the fans have all wanted, it is also a long ass tune!  Regardless of if it is played every night, it still is a fairly substantial deep cut  - I choose to give GNR props for that as well

I just think you are selling The Stones short here. It is virtually impossible to see identikit setlists at the same venue because of how Jagger plans everything. He has all of their discography grouped into categories - certified must plays, quasi must plays, occasional plays and bona fide deep cuts - and selects from each category so as to appeal to different types of fans.

Kiss yes. Kiss are even stodgier than GN'R.

PS

Maiden also produce stodgy setlists - or so I have heard.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

It doesn't seem healthy to watch every leak and periscope of every show. Of course some are disappointed of the same setlist. But remember they are on a semi reunion tour and play for different people in different cities, not only for you. If they return to the same city or whatever during the same tour, then i would understand some frustration over not change up the setlist.

I have not watched a periscope since i saw them in San Diego, just some clips here and there. And I'm not gonna watch until i see them in Sweden this summer. I don't want to get "bored" before i see them again.

I have never watched a periscope of a Guns N' Roses show in my entire life. I have only watched a handful of youtube clips, when it began at Vegas. My interest completely disappeared after the first two or three shows.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just think you are selling The Stones short here. It is virtually impossible to see identikit setlists at the same venue because of how Jagger plans everything. He has all of their discography grouped into categories - certified must plays, quasi must plays, occasional plays and bona fide deep cuts - and selects from each category so as to appeal to different types of fans.

Kiss yes. Kiss are even stodgier than GN'R.

I don't think I am selling the Stones short!  I really really loved both shows that I saw, and that is my point overall.  That all in all a lot of bands during the same tour just may not have shows where there is a huge amount of setlist changes - and that is totally ok!  In terms of variety The Stones were not drastically different than GNR based on my own experiences with sheer variation from show to show

I caught Rush on the Time Machine Tour in LA in 2011 for two shows in a row.  The setlist was exactly the same, right down to the song order and song introductions.  I loved both shows so much, and they were both two of the greatest shows I ever saw by any band, period.  Relatively stagnant setlists for big tours are not uncommon at all, so for me I just don't really think Guns N' Roses is doing anything horribly wrong at the moment.  

If they don't release new material and/or have a setlist overhaul for the next big tour they do after this though, that is when I will start having an issue with GNR

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

So what I am getting out of your posts is 

if you like a band you are happy just to be at the show 

you as a fan can put up with what ever you get.   

You donnot seem to mind anything any band ever does at a show you are st. 

this is what I am reading into your posts 

you have extremely low expectations as long as you spend money on a. Ticket and are there 

so what would be the moment you say.  Hey I don't like this? 

What if Axl wanted to sing 3 more Christmas eve songs a night.   Bring the total up to 10 covers in a night.  Would you then be ok with that?

if the band cam out and just jammed the whole night.  Would you be ok with that? 

What is your personal limit? 

If they come back to your local market and play this same show. You would be ok with that? 

Not me   Not even close 

8 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

What is your personal limit? 

If they come back to your local market and play this same show. You would be ok with that? 

Not me   Not even close 

Look at literally the end of every single one of my posts!  I say the same thing, which not only answers this part of your post but it leads me to believe that you are not even reading my posts in full lol.  I will quote an earlier post of mine which was also a reply to you:

I would love a bit more setlist variety, sure.  However the NITLT tour is still under way, I think it is still reasonable for them to do what they are doing.  If they continue the same ol' stuff after the tour ends, that is when I will be complaining lol

you as a fan can put up with what ever you get.   

You donnot seem to mind anything any band ever does at a show you are st. 

Not at all, actually.  I would say your reading of me is wrong.  I simply know the music industry and I know how a lot of big bands of GNR's status work.  I know exactly what I am getting into and this tour is exactly what I thought it was going to be in terms of setlist variation.  I have been dissatisfied many times by various bands - GNR during this tour however is not one of said acts.  

Edited by WhazUp