Same setlist, different day

1 hour ago, Kickingthehabit said:

All they have to do is add My Michelle, Yesterdays, Perfect Crime, and Slither!!!!!

People always complained about My Michelle, it's not like it's never played. Yesterdays was played on the run before last year. 

I think people haven't realized that the band just don't have that deep a discography. They're playing Coma/Estranged now at every show. Adding one of the few tracks left like The Garden/Breakdown would still get complaints after a few shows.

As for VR: Slash himself at his own shows barely played VR tracks apart from Slither. Why would he ask Axl to perform tracks he doesn't have an interest in himself?

2 hours ago, valengf said:

I got nothing on them repeating the setlist in different cities and countries. But I get what people are complaining about.. I think they demand that spontaneous thing GNR had, like in 09 when Axl said what do you wanna do next, and then tommy says Nice Boys for example; i mean go for it, that is rock n roll (and its really cool and thrilling). Only time will tell.. 
another (exaggerate) e.g: 

I understand what you say but if they decided to do this way this tour and endless complain isn't gonna change the situation! We have to accept what we get..! Maybe later in the year they will loosen up a bit and be more spontaneous but you have to think that this lineup is just one year that plays together they aren't the 2009 band and even if Axl and slash have known each other since forever they maybe have to rebuild that chemistry 100% yet so they play safe for now! 

• Like 1

How cl De are these markets in Japan to each other?   I think very close.  Pretty much like a bunch of shows in the same city.   I am pretty desapointed as a fan that the set lists for shows in such a close market are always the same.   It gives nothing extra to a fan to travel to multiple shows that are close.  Why to see the same movie I just saw?  Come on 

I am loooong forward to the second leg of the North American tour this summer. Over 1 year past the last time they played.    I am expecting a new show in markets that are very close to the markets they just played 

• Like 1

Has every song from UYI been played live at some stage or another? 

IF I had a deep cut request it would be Don't Damn Me. Love that song! 

Also so as a funny I'm guessing back off bitch is off the table after duff wore his women's March shirt ?

12 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

Has every song from UYI been played live at some stage or another? 

IF I had a deep cut request it would be Don't Damn Me. Love that song! 

Also so as a funny I'm guessing back off bitch is off the table after duff wore his women's March shirt ?

No, My World, Get In The Ring and Don't Damn Me have never been played

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

No, My World, Get In The Ring and Don't Damn Me have never been played

Wow ok thanks for that.

get in the ring surprises me. 

As for don't damn me, is that because the lyrics are too quick? Any other ideas? 

9 hours ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

When it comes to setlists I always say the same thing:

reviewing setlists on the internet like you're reviewing a tv series or something is stupid. If I attended a show I'd be stoked to hear every song on the list. It's fine. It's not a big deal. Live your life. 

I agree w/ what you just said, but it's not relevant to the topic whatsoever.  

This is about the Big 3's point of view.  NOT THE FAN'S!

Duff obviously has input.  I think they've opened w/ It's So Easy every show he's been w/ them.

I wanna discuss the set from Duff and Slash's perspective.  Tons of people have left GN'R for one reason or another.  I don't want them to get bored before we have a chance at new music.

Honestly, they cannot enjoy playing Sorry.  Are the dollars enough to keep them happy or are they still too spontaneous to do this on repeat for years and years?

To conquer the world w/ Guns, then go onto incredible success w/ Velvet Revolver, you gotta think the icing on the cake would be to come back to GN'R and make more badass music.  That has to be the goal!!!  (Right?)

On 1/23/2017 at 7:48 PM, Powerage5 said:

People like to bitch about how stale the setlists were from 2010 to 2014, but every now and then they'd throw a big curveball. 

Like when they decided to play Civil War in 2011 in Nashville for the first time since 92! Things like that are really what make shows exciting for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tadsy said:

Wow ok thanks for that.

get in the ring surprises me. 

As for don't damn me, is that because the lyrics are too quick? Any other ideas? 

I don't think it's that surprising that they haven't played Get In The Ring. After all he mentions many people in the lyrics by name and it would probably feel stupid ranting about them, especially, if you've made amends with them. And I guess Axl doesn't feel like coming up with new lyrics either.

And yes, I believe there's just not enough breathing space in Don't Damn Me.

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I don't think it's that surprising that they haven't played Get In The Ring. After all he mentions many people in the lyrics by name and it would probably feel stupid ranting about them, especially, if you've made amends with them. And I guess Axl doesn't feel like coming up with new lyrics either.

And yes, I believe there's just not enough breathing space in Don't Damn Me.

That's right it makes way more sense to record a song that can not ever be played live.   Why would you play one of your own songs live when there are so many other cover songs to play!

And the biggest complaint I have about setlists is that they are pretty much the same show in the very close markets.   As a one off show it is just fine, but when they play so close to other cities a day or so apart the exact same show, boy that is soooooo much fun

1 hour ago, TheBaconMan said:

That's right it makes way more sense to record a song that can not ever be played live.   Why would you play one of your own songs live when there are so many other cover songs to play!

And the biggest complaint I have about setlists is that they are pretty much the same show in the very close markets.   As a one off show it is just fine, but when they play so close to other cities a day or so apart the exact same show, boy that is soooooo much fun

You sound surprisingly angry, considering that they've been rotating alt. songs fairly much lately.

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

You sound surprisingly angry, considering that they've been rotating alt. songs fairly much lately.

Well I am not that angry, just mostly disappointed

Why do they have to close every show with PC.  Every show since I can remember ugh.... 

Why do they have to play the same cover songs every single night.  NOHD, LALD...   I have heard and seen these cover songs played at ever single guns show!!!  Come on, play some of your own music.

I admit this tour is not for me

I want to hear and see new music.  

I am so sick of hearing over played cover songs and hits from 30 years ago.   Played every single night!

On 1/23/2017 at 7:48 PM, Powerage5 said:

I mean, I get it - putting on a production on the scale that they currently are, it's probably better to lay it safe on the setlists as to put on the most professional shows possible. More setlist variety = more room for error. That said, I do miss the days when not everything was basically set in stone. People like to bitch about how stale the setlists were from 2010 to 2014, but every now and then they'd throw a big curveball. 

This.  Honestly, pick a big name touring band in 2016.  Kiss, Aerosmith, Stones, AC/DC...Give or take a song or two, the setlist you see on the first night of the tour is usually pretty much it for the duration of the tour.   Unless they release new music "soon", I don't see GNR shaking up the setlist much.  And I'm okay with that, mostly because the NITL set is wildly strong as it is. 

3 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

This.  Honestly, pick a big name touring band in 2016.  Kiss, Aerosmith, Stones, AC/DC...Give or take a song or two, the setlist you see on the first night of the tour is usually pretty much it for the duration of the tour.   Unless they release new music "soon", I don't see GNR shaking up the setlist much.  And I'm okay with that, mostly because the NITL set is wildly strong as it is. 

The difference between those acts and this one is that THEY actually have a backlog of music to pick from to put together a setlist

THIS band has hardly any songs and has essentially been relying on that material for the past 30 years.  

I would love to hear new music

I would love to hear original music instead of the same old cover songs used every night

I feel this band should focus on writing and releasing NEW original music to give us as FANS something NEW to listen too.  Instead of the same stuff every night.   I honestly change the radio station when PC or SCOM comes on.  I have heard those songs enough for two life times

Just now, TheBaconMan said:

The difference between those acts and this one is that THEY actually have a backlog of music to pick from to put together a setlist

THIS band has hardly any songs and has essentially been relying on that material for the past 30 years.  

I would love to hear original music instead of the same old cover songs used every night

I feel this band should focus on writing and releasing NEW original music to give us as FANS something NEW to listen too.  Instead of the same stuff every night.   I honestly change the radio station when PC or SCOM comes on.  I have heard those songs enough for two life times

This

14 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

You're only saying that because you're somewhat of a die-hard.  The fact is, Live And Let Die & KOHD are GNR staples to casual rock fans, the ones fill most of the seats in the arenas they're filling.  As much as you may want to hear that original material/deepcuts, the fact is that it would be mostly radio silence if they played, say, Breakdown, Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, as opposed to the thunderous cheers they get from their well known covers.  They might as well play a Chinese Democracy deepcut, as they'd get the same reaction from the crowd, if they did what you're asking.

They're doing what's best for the show/tour as a whole.  I don't think they care about disappointed fans at home who want to watch them play deepcuts on Youtube. 

So, again, until they hopefully put out new music, I don't see them changing up the set much.

Edited by sofine11

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is just the type of tour you only go and see one show in my opinion, like seeing a musical or a Broadway show - you'd probably only go the once as it is the exact same show.

I sort of agree. This 2017 first show was hybrid to say the least. The second show Axl sounded bad. He had a flu or something. Today they were doing a pretty good and interesting show. The Seeker was totally anti climatic, even out of place. It's never good nor necessary that song. But today was at the worst possible time ever. After a great performance of Patience the show deserved it something bigger and better before PC. It didn't happen. But it seems to me there is nothing we can do about it other than no atteding the shows.