Same setlist, different day

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But who's to say after the tour is over that Axl will want to go into the studio straight away and work on the next album? even if Slash returns to SMKC to finish up CON lll and do a tour, that doesn't mean no new Gn'R music in Axl's lifetime.

I think some fans just want another Guns album and it's been 8 fuckin' years since Chinese came out. 10 since the leaks. That's a fuckload of years.

But shouldn't we factor the reunion into it? Axl had the second half of Chinese if we choose to believe him, but the moment Slash and Duff came back they went on tour which makes sense, and now CD ll with Bucket, Robin, and Bumble is irrelevant without Slash and maybe no rasp.

I think Axl is not planning on just touring with Gn'R until he croaks. But he is on touring mode right now. Making money, enjoying having Slash and Duff in his band again, enjoying the acceptance of the crowd and I guess for him it's good enough for now.

It's not the time for a new album right now. Even if that sounds ridiculous, I think Axl did not change his way of doing things. He probably has a lot of material he's attached to, and he'll probably try to write fresh material that hopefully be more relevant and Slash and Duff might find a way to connect to it and turn into great Guns tunes. It's possible.

Axl seems to be very excited about this line up. He has the chance to make an album with Slash again. And Duff. Just because it's not happening right now doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

Oh I agree.  I think what happened this past year more or less puts them back at square 1 in terms of how they'll approach the next album, even if they do keep a handful of tracks that were originally recording during the Chi Dem era.  Which is why I'm not ready to close the door just yet.   From 2010-2014 I was super irritated about the lack of new material given all that was recorded.  Having Slash & Duff back full time kind of turns that all on it's head, and if you're reasonable, you'll understand why.  

To me, having Slash & Duff on the next album will be worth the extra time it takes for us to (hopefully) hear it.

1 hour ago, Padme said:

2016 was the year of the reunion tour. I wasn't expecting a new album. It wouldn't make any sense for Slash and Duff to play a like 10 new songs they have nothing to do with. Besides reunion tours are mostly about classic songs anyway.

As for CD II or a new album with brand new songs written by Axl, Slash and Duff this year or next. It would depend of what Axl, Slash and Duff plan to do. And what the record company may want.

2016 being about new music was entirely my hope. I totally get how others say I shouldn't have expected it, but I just thought they would do it for some reason. 

Overall what I'm saying is that I don't think it matters anymore what the label might want or not. I also doesn't think it matters what Slash & Duff want to do. I'm guessing the theory that GN'R will continue to tour and Duff & Slash will do what they want to outside of that is correct. As for Axl, I just don't think he has any desire to release new material any more.

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

I dunno.  Aren't artists and labels scrambling for any way to make a record/new music seem viable?  I would imagine the first album of original GNR material featuring Slash since 1991 would seem a little too attractive for either party to at least heavily consider.  You have to figure, per Axl, he and Slash didn't meet face to face until their dinner at Axl's house in October of 2015.  Then the triumphant reunion tour was put together, and has been wildly successful.   We're not even 1 year into the tour yet, with half the world still clamoring to have a look at what we've been lucky enough to witness...more than once.

I think once this tour wraps late this summer, if things go radio silent on the new music front, and Slash returns to recording with SMKC we can all agree that, no, new GNR music is not likely in Axl's lifetime.  But giving them the benefit of the doubt, and assuming they'll want to continue after this tour wraps, don't be surprised if the "re-branding" comes in the form of new material.

Labels are definitely not interested in legacy acts, that's for sure. Are they searching for a way to try to sell it? Yeah, but they're doing that through 360 deals, repackaged remasters and hits packages. They're not going to take any sort of chance on a full court press for brand new material from a band. I don't think it matters that it's a GN'R record with Slash for the first time in ages. On top of that, I think those things together with the publics reaction or lack thereof to CD makes Axl completely uninterested in pushing any new material out that can be viewed as any sort of failure again.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

2016 being about new music was entirely my hope. I totally get how others say I shouldn't have expected it, but I just thought they would do it for some reason. 

Overall what I'm saying is that I don't think it matters anymore what the label might want or not. I also doesn't think it matters what Slash & Duff want to do. I'm guessing the theory that GN'R will continue to tour and Duff & Slash will do what they want to outside of that is correct. As for Axl, I just don't think he has any desire to release new material any more.

Labels are definitely not interested in legacy acts, that's for sure. Are they searching for a way to try to sell it? Yeah, but they're doing that through 360 deals, repackaged remasters and hits packages. They're not going to take any sort of chance on a full court press for brand new material from a band. I don't think it matters that it's a GN'R record with Slash for the first time in ages. On top of that, I think those things together with the publics reaction or lack thereof to CD makes Axl completely uninterested in pushing any new material out that can be viewed as any sort of failure again.

Assuming the reunion is meant to last. I don't see them 5 years from now just turing without an album. They may not play most of those new songs. But they can't keep calling the tour Not In This Life Time Reunion Tour. I think they would do like AC/DC., they made Rock Or Bust. But they play mostly classic songs, same case with The Rolling Stones. At this point we don't know what the plan is. I think all the possible scenarios are on the table, including an album.

48 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's a very business-minded analysis of GNR in 2017. But most bands, songwriters and artists create because they feel compelled to do so and share that creation with their audience to stay fresh and relevant with their audience. I just find it sad that Axl thinks so little of GNR that he has allowed things to get to this state. It matters not one jot that GNR may be perceived as a "legacy act", at least not to the fanbase. Plenty of veteran bands and artists who have been around much longer than GNR still manage to put out regular product for their fans.

I do believe Axl will one day pull his finger out his ass and actually put something out, but I wouldn't wanna make any bets on when that could be. My interest in GNR will pick up again if and when that ever happens, but for now, I have very little interest in seeing them live or following this band. That's not even exclusive to GNR, for the most part, I'm not fussed on live shows. I've seen almost everyone I've ever respected as musicians, with a few exceptions. I'm 31 now, got a kid on the way, and don't really have time for concerts anymore. And for me, as a music fan, the live experience was always secondary to an artists/bands musical output. Albums give me years and years of enjoyment, compared to one stupidly expensive night out which is over and done with in 2 hours.

I will be excited like a 15 year old kid all over again the day GNR finally put out a new record. But I'm not holding out for it or anything, because Axl has proven he is as good as useless in terms of being a productive artist.

Edited by Towelie

55 minutes ago, Towelie said:

That's a very business-minded analysis of GNR in 2017. But most bands, songwriters and artists create because they feel compelled to do so and share that creation with their audience to stay fresh and relevant with their audience. I just find it sad that Axl thinks so little of GNR that he has allowed things to get to this state. It matters not one jot that GNR may be perceived as a "legacy act", at least not to the fanbase. Plenty of veteran bands and artists who have been around much longer than GNR still manage to put out regular product for their fans.

I do believe Axl will one day pull his finger out his ass and actually put something out, but I wouldn't wanna make any bets on when that could be. My interest in GNR will pick up again if and when that ever happens, but for now, I have very little interest in seeing them live or following this band. That's not even exclusive to GNR, for the most part, I'm not fussed on live shows. I've seen almost everyone I've ever respected as musicians, with a few exceptions. I'm 31 now, got a kid on the way, and don't really have time for concerts anymore. And for me, as a music fan, the live experience was always secondary to an artists/bands musical output. Albums give me years and years of enjoyment, compared to one stupidly expensive night out which is over and done with in 2 hours.

I will be excited like a 15 year old kid all over again the day GNR finally put out a new record. But I'm not holding out for it or anything, because Axl has proven he is as good as useless in terms of being a productive artist.

It's a buisiness minded way to look at things because that's the only way labels look at artists anymore: as a business. You support & supply the products that make money from the customer and that's it. 

Should Axl, Slash and the rest of GN'R want to put out art just for the sake of putting out art? OF COURSE! Do they? Nope, not as far as they've shown us so far. Even if they did, a lot of what they could release would go into the hands of the afforementioned business men.

• Like 1

Just now, shotsfired cro said:

one thing I don't understand, you have 4 albums of original music, all hits, and you play 5 covers a night!?

for real, if it was some band with 2 albums out -ok, but this is Guns N Roses

Oh yeah!

This is fucking GNR!

Edited by auad

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I 100% agree with this. 

While I'm going to the Slane gig in May, I'm not that excited. I mean, I haven't seen Slash and Duff in GnR before but besides that and double talkin' jive / Coma I've essentially seen the show 3 different times. 

I'm also, not even expecting a Guns record. Of all the bands I listen to I least expect anything from GnR. We'll probably get the follow up to Hardwired... to self-destruct before we'll get a Guns record of original material (live albums and best of albums on't count).

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

Oh I totally agree 

how can Axl.  If he wants to be relevant.  Keep singing the same songs every single night.  

Does the band actually like hearing scom every night?   I am sick of it.  They have probably heard it more than me.  They like it still?  Ugh 

a bunch of 50's guys singing songs about being bad drinking wine and banging strippers.   Yeah.....

mean while it's the Sam e song every night in the same spot in the set list.  The same song we have heard for the past 30 years.   Oooooh so bad. Brutal. 

How about writing a song that relates you to your audience that has grown up with the band....

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It's a buisiness minded way to look at things because that's the only way labels look at artists anymore: as a business. You support & supply the products that make money from the customer and that's it. 

Should Axl, Slash and the rest of GN'R want to put out art just for the sake of putting out art? OF COURSE! Do they? Nope, not as far as they've shown us so far. Even if they did, a lot of what they could release would go into the hands of the afforementioned business men.

So why does every other artist that wants to release music finds a way to do so 

bands do it all the time. 

Hell artists take labels to court and it's all public when there is disputes about a label holding a artist back from releasing music 

this band does not release new music because this band does not want to.     

If anyone is holding them back they are putting up the weakest fight ever 

I don't think they see a reason to play deep cuts, most of the people on a concert don't know them, here in Rio, nobody around me was singing, nobody knew the song, they were just shaking their heads. Whats the point of playing The Garden or something like that if only few people in a stadium or arena gonna know the song? They are doing a perfect setlist, with all their hits and some other stuff. And I don't see why people behind their computers complain about setlist, unless you are going to every single concert, why bother? 

32 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I don't think they see a reason to play deep cuts, most of the people on a concert don't know them, here in Rio, nobody around me was singing, nobody knew the song, they were just shaking their heads. Whats the point of playing The Garden or something like that if only few people in a stadium or arena gonna know the song? They are doing a perfect setlist, with all their hits and some other stuff. And I don't see why people behind their computers complain about setlist, unless you are going to every single concert, why bother? 

I thought Brazil have lots of die-hard fans? What songs they dont know?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I thought Brazil have lots of die-hard fans? What songs they dont know?

for what I remember, the only time saw people singing were on the big big hits, easy, jungle, scom, don't cry.... another song that nobody sang was out ta get me, I was screaming my lungs out because I wanted to hear it live so bad but nobody around me knew the words

• Like 1

they will never do anything like it but, they should do some gigs for the diehard fans, something like KISS does with the KISS Kruise, not a GNR Kruise, but I don't know, some club dates or something, for Nightrain, I don't know, but they could work something out, rehearse the entire catalogue (is not even that big) and just play what people wanna hear

On 1/23/2017 at 0:05 PM, J Dog said:

Most people at the shows are seeing them for the first time, and might not ever see them again. Setlist is fine. I can see getting rid of the covers and cutting back on the number of CD songs.

i can totally see this! except keep Layla outro for November Rain please :heart:

Axl/Duff/Slash have only been together for less than a year. With luck the reunion tour will draw back in some of those casual fans they lost over the years.  With this tour they have a chance to rebuild their casual fanbase a bit by playing much beloved songs. At this point I am not sure that playing anything new would go over real well as most of the people filling the stadiums are there for much beloved hits that were near and dear to their heart. Or as my step-mom once said to my step-sister when she stop by after a concert "Did you know any of the songs? That is what makes a show good."

Once they complete this tour and hit all the areas, then they will need to make changes and switch things up more than the handful of songs that they have, but I am not so sure that making wide scale changes to the set list would be advisable for the purpose of this current tour. They are reintroducing themselves to the world who half forgot Guns n' Roses even exists. They are finding out if they can stand each enough to stay on the same stage together.

If they can write together and actually create new music then they should release it once they complete the tour when there is a chance that there is still interest in what they are doing by some of the millions who attended the shows. (Of course there is the question if they can even write music together anymore. And if they do if it will get released. Axl doesn't have the best track record of being willing to share. With luck Slash, Duff and Axl will create a record and Slash and Duff will convince Axl to release it.)

So... in other words... I agree with others who said that I think it is too early to expect wide scale set list changes or even think it is advisable at this point in time.

1 hour ago, cqleonardo said:

for what I remember, the only time saw people singing were on the big big hits, easy, jungle, scom, don't cry.... another song that nobody sang was out ta get me, I was screaming my lungs out because I wanted to hear it live so bad but nobody around me knew the words

They dont even know Out Ta Get Me?! How aboud CD songs?

4 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

That's what I saw in the U.S. But I never thought it could happen in Brazil

10 hours ago, TheBaconMan said:

So why does every other artist that wants to release music finds a way to do so 

bands do it all the time. 

Hell artists take labels to court and it's all public when there is disputes about a label holding a artist back from releasing music 

this band does not release new music because this band does not want to.     

If anyone is holding them back they are putting up the weakest fight ever 

Re-read my last two posts on the subject including the one you quoted. I already addressed these points.

50 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I just cleaned up this thread. If anyone thinks another member is here to disrupt the thread please report the post with an explanation. Do not cause a topic derail yourself.

Thanks

Also.... what she said. Thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

So I am saying this setlist is fine for a one off show.

For shows that are in the same market, returning to another country a year apart from the last show on another leg of the tour, or shows that are played very close to a market they just played.  I would love for them to change up this show.  I have zero faith that when this band returns to NA this year to play AGAIN, that we will see or hear anything different.  As a fan I think that's a shame as I want to hear new and different music.

I also feel the average unwashed mass fan out there doesn't know these songs (deep cuts), because the band has never given them a chance to be played live.   They play cover songs every night that are not even the bands material that some fans actually think are the bands music.  Play your own music, give the audience a chance to respond to it, perhaps it then becomes a hit of its own.

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I went back and read a couple of your posts like you said.

I agree totally with most of it

I just do not think the label is preventing us from hearing new music or just unreleased music.  I think it is all on Axl