Gene Simmons: "We never 'Axl Rose' our way out of anything"

9 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Kiss wrote much more classics than GN'R. Strutter, Black Diamond, Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, Dr. Love, Rock N Roll All Nite, Shout It Out Loud the list goes on and on. They've been very prolific as a band with more than fifteen platinum albums from 1974 to 1992 (minus The Elder).

Does Kiss still matter? That's a good question, but you can't deny their major influence on music and new bands for decades already whereas Guns N' Roses hasn't influenced many modern rock bands.

I agree

Just now, Silent Jay said:

I'm still thinking honestly. Nickelback? Buckcherry? Nope.

There are tons of bands who were influenced by Guns- Slash has been plenty times tried to be replicated. Hoobastank, Fall Out Boy, Nickelback, Alter Bridge, Creed, Staind...a lot have similiarites to GNR. The dynamic of Guns has been tried to be replicated many times. AFD had a huge impact on the music world and even the UYIS did.

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yeah people say the same shit about Axl. Even if he did, performing live like that is a disgrace. Even then, I've seen 2016 videos of Strutter which are even worse...

Well this is true, and nope he's been doing a lot better vocally since then, that Letterman performance isn't really an argument.

Speaking of disgrace can't be worse than Bridge School unfortunately. But it would be foolish to compare Stanley and Rose anyway. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Well this is true, and nope he's been doing a lot better vocally since then, that Letterman performance isn't really an argument.

Speaking of disgrace can't be worse than Bridge School unfortunately. But it would be foolish to compare Stanley and Rose anyway. 

I'm not defending Axl Rose- Bridge School was a big disaster. But it's  foolish to pretend Stanley is not washed up, if not more than Axl.

;) 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

There are tons of bands who were influenced by Guns- Slash has been plenty times tried to be replicated. Hoobastank, Fall Out Boy, Nickelback, Alter Bridge, Creed, Staind...a lot have similiarites to GNR. The dynamic of Guns has been tried to be replicated many times. AFD had a huge impact on the music world and even the UYIS did.

I haven't listened to those bands since ninth grade honestly.

GN'R impact was huge at the time but quickly fell apart. If it wasn't for the star power and the dramas I don't think people would be listening to Out Ta Get Me or Sweet Child O' Mine to this day. They're just horrible songs. GN'R hasn't matter for almost twenty years.

11 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I'm not defending Axl Rose- Bridge School was a big disaster. But it's  foolish to pretend Stanley is not washed up, if not more than Axl.

;) 

Again they are better performances out there from 2016, you just pick the worst of them. But I'm not very much defending Stanley neither, in fact I don't really care. I know that Gene is doing very well vocally. They're a bunch of 65 year old men, it's about surviving at this point. 

Edited by Silent Jay

22 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I haven't listened to those bands since ninth grade honestly.

GN'R impact was huge at the time but quickly fell apart. If it wasn't for the star power and the dramas I don't think people would be listening to Out Ta Get Me or Sweet Child O' Mine to this day. They're just horrible songs. GN'R hasn't matter for almost twenty years.

Out Ta Get Me & SCOM- horrible songs? Black Diamond & Shout It Out Loud- classics? Pass it around man- I'll take a hit! Must be some good shit!

For the record, I love & respect Kiss a lot. I grew up in the 70s, and all the cool teenagers in town were big time into the Kiss phenomenon. But their music is totally one dimensional. Musically they've hardly done anything groundbreaking, and they haven't been relevant in almost 40 years!

Gene is just trying to get his & Kiss name in the headlines with this bullshit statement. He knows GnR is hot in the classic rock world right now, so he tried to ride in their wake...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wasted said:

Musically Kiss are only slightly better than Ratt. And Gene kicked Ace out and his solo covers album is better than anything Kiss have done. 

Musically Ratt is 10x better than Kiss! Seriously man- listen to Invasion of Your Privacy or any of them really. Ratt could play. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Out Ta Get Me & SCOM- horrible songs? Black Diamond & Shout It Out Loud- classics? Pass it around man- I'll take a hit! Must be some good shit!

For the record, I love & respect Kiss a lot. I grew up in the 70s, and all the cool teenagers in town were big time into the Kiss phenomenon. But their music is totally one dimensional. Musically they've hardly done anything groundbreaking, and they haven't been relevant in almost 40 years!

Gene is just trying to get his & Kiss name in the headlines with this bullshit statement. He knows GnR is hot in the classic rock world right now, so he tried to ride in their wake...

I haven't listened to Appetite or Illusion for years but I would consider Black Diamond and Shout It Out Loud to be a lot more enjoyable than Out Ta Get Me and Sweet Child. It's subjective I know but I've got great taste in music.

GN'R hasnt been relevant for twenty years too. Right now the band follow their reunion phase the same way Kiss were in 1997.

Gene said great things concerning the Axl/Dc thing.

18 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Out Ta Get Me in fact is more than horrible...but SCOM is a classic for sure...

1 minute ago, auad said:

Out Ta Get Me in fact is more than horrible...but SCOM is a classic for sure...

Neither of those are more or less facts than what you're arguining with old boy about.    

10 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Musically Ratt is 10x better than Kiss! Seriously man- listen to Invasion of Your Privacy or any of them really. Ratt could play. 

I'm wondering if they confused Ratt with Poison...or Winger...or?

Doesnt matter, Ratt can definitely play.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Very good point. I think Gene and Axl are both Douchebags but at least Gene's bands released new music from time to time, and Kiss '96 is probably the biggest reunion of all time. Meanwhile GNR brings back two old members with the same nuGNR forumula and system, and there ya go. But hey, at least Axl proved to everyone that he's not a control freak who hires and fires people gtom his band.

these words tells everything (about this thing kiss/gnr), at least for me...

"at least Gene's bands released new music from time to time, and Kiss '96 is probably the biggest reunion of all time. Meanwhile GNR brings back two old members with the same nuGNR forumula and system, and there ya go"

9 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Neither of those are more or less facts than what you're arguining with old boy about.    

I'm wondering if they confused Ratt with Poison...or Winger...or?

Doesnt matter, Ratt can definitely play.

ok...it's just my opinion about Out Ta Get Me...boring and weak song.

Kiss influenced many American rock/metal musician during the '80s - early '90s (Guns's generation infact, case in point Adler). Guns themselves didn't really influence anyone really; mostly this was due to them not being together long enough, but also it is due to rock music effectively going tits up soon after GN'R's era, thus diluting any lasting impact that may have occurred. Both Kiss and Axl have more in common than either would care to admit really. Both indulged in these 'faux' eras, Kiss during the '80s, Rose during Nugnr, whereby people clamoured for the real line-ups while the artists indulged in perplexing musical directions. Both cut their losses and reunited however, at least Kiss's reunion was tremendous (initially at least), including as it did all four originals, whereas GN'R have made a complete dog's dinner of their 'quasi-reunion' hybrid thingy or whatever it is supposed to be.

PS

I do think Guns, 1985 - 1993, forgetting all of the later silliness, were a much better band than Kiss.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

I like Kiss overall. Even if I didn't, I would still be thankful for the way they influenced many bands/artists that I love (Skid Row, Megadeth, Pantera, STEVEN ADLER). That said, Gene and Paul are a bunch of assholes and Tommy Thayer is even more annoying that Chris Shitman. Ace rules, though! :headbang:

Anyway, what I really wanted to post is OUT TA GET ME IS FN' AMAZING!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I have most of their albums. Kiss aren't bad either. Neither are Zepp or The Beatles. Sometimes Guns get close to Zepp. 

20 hours ago, thunderram said:

But in terms of music -- where it actually counts -- not so much for KISS.

KISS is the epitome of a cash grab band that makes all their $$ off a gimmick and selling toys.

Unlike GN'R they can't stand on the merit of impactful music.

oh, no, tears are falling!

1 hour ago, cqleonardo said:

nobody can say shit about Paul's voice, he's being singing since 1965, from 73 to now, did more than 15 tours, the guy is almost 70, a lot of high pitch songs, the guy is old, you can't talk shit about this

and how can anyone dislike out ta get me? 

People are dumb