Does anybody else feel weird watching Slash play Sorry?

9 hours ago, Bono said:

Oh. Kinda like how it makes so much sense to play the Seeker every fucking night but it makes no sense to play a  song Slash and Duff wrote together with another former GnR drummer? You geeks and your attachment to the GnR name as the be all end all of what makes GnR, GnR. CD isn't Guns N ' Roses. It's Axl and some other people. 

But it doesn't... calm your tits. I never said it doesn't make sense to PLAY something from Slash's or Duff's work,  i said it doesn't make sense to compare it with a GNR song... and about CD not being GNR, well, it's your opinion, and i respect that just as i respect the flat earth people...

10 hours ago, Bono said:

I'd say Slash won. he went on to have a very successful solo career along with Velvet Revolver, never had to put up with any of Axl's shit and then decided "well I think I'd like to make mega bucks now" and rejoined with Axl after Axl absolutely failed in his quest to take GnR foward, Instead he made a mockery of the GnR brand, gained a reputation for being the guy who ruined Guns n Roses and became the butt end of countless jokes. Axl could never do what he's doing now without Slash. Slash is THE reason this tour is as massive as it is. Take Slash out and Axl can't even sell out arenas in the States let alone Stadiums. Slash won. Axl needs Slash. Slash doesn't need Axl. 

I definitely agree that Slash is the reason they re getting the big money now.  

I think the reasons for CDs lack lustre performance are myriad and I personally I really like the album and the earlier nu gnr lineups. 

Slash had to deal with Weiland and has stated that he didnt really enjoy VR.  His solo career is healthy, but nothing massive.  

I guess I can agree with the larger point you make but at the same time, since I was speaking about the songs Slash is willing to play - songs and concepts that he rejected - I still feel Axl held out longer and his GNR vision is the one thats doing NITL.  And Slash is what makes Axls vision worth 3 million bucks a show.

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I wouldn't say either of them 'won' anything tbh, mate, in fact I'd say they both lost. Axl spent years labouring over 1, admittedly very good album and Slash knocked out a bunch of average/half decent ones, if they'd stayed together we may have had 2 or 3 top notch Guns records but it obviously wasn't meant to be, such is life. The 'battle of wills' you mention is nonsense, just 2 stubborn wankers who finally saw sense. They probably both realise the wasted opportunity but we'll not feel too upset for them as I'm sure they've both had way more fun than we'll ever have. :lol:

lol abot stubborn wankers!  Hard to argue against that, haha!

Just, to my understanding one of the main (known) reasons for the split was Axls CD vision and also the 'stepahnie seymour ballads.'   Slash turned in Five O'Clock tracks and said dont change a thing, just record my songs now.  Axl said no.  Axl said lets explore and push and play elton john ballads.  Slash said no.  Slash now plays those.  I was only trying to speak to that dimension of this saga, but I made it sound like a generalized statement perhaps.  I agree with what you've said and still feel the same about the issue of the battle of material.

Im sure youre right that they've had a funner life than us.  A raving loon, rhyming "why, bye, I, eye, pride, inside"  in This I love, who jumps head first into a mob of bikers wearing a feather boa, who was partially responsible for breaking up our band, who released 1 album in 20 years, some how has a funner life than me.  Sigh. :lol:

4 hours ago, North Korean Democracy said:

Yeah Slash doesn't need Axl, I'm pretty sure SMKC could have played the London Stadium on their own. Both need each other. Do you really think Slash got up one day and decided to do the reunion? He wanted it for years but had to wait until Axl decided to do it. He was playing arenas and theatres just like NUGNR, he may have had a better solo career than Axl but at the end of the day they need each other to be the most successful they can be. Slash may be one of the most iconic guitarists of all time but during his most iconic moments he had Axl by his side. Axl and Slash together again are the reason this tour is so massive.

Absolutely spot on. [2]

12 hours ago, Bono said:

CD isn't Guns N ' Roses. It's Axl and some other people. 

You are free to make up your own fantasy world based on subjective preferences where you decide what's GN'R and what isn't, but fact is that CD was released by the band GN'R. It says so on the record itself, in any official discography lists, on the band's webpage, in every music magazine who reviewed the record, and it is listed as such on any music industry sites I can find including RIAA, and  -- important! -- this is all is completely uncontested (as long as we disregard butthurt fans who can't get over the fact that the band changed too much to their dislike). Again, all fine and good to live in your own fantasy world if it is comforting to you, where things are how you want them to be, but as soon as you insist on forcing that delusion upon us living in the real world you come across as a bit crazy.

5 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I wouldn't say either of them 'won' anything tbh, mate, in fact I'd say they both lost. Axl spent years labouring over 1, admittedly very good album and Slash knocked out a bunch of average/half decent ones, if they'd stayed together we may have had 2 or 3 top notch Guns records but it obviously wasn't meant to be, such is life. The 'battle of wills' you mention is nonsense, just 2 stubborn wankers who finally saw sense.

I agree with they both having lost, in a sense, but not that they finally saw sense. Slash was never very discriminating when it came to what he played on, and that he welcomed this cash-grab nostalgia "reunion" comes as no surprise at all (he probably wanted it since the early 2000s). So he got what he wanted but it feels like failure to me. Axl caved completely in regards to what he said he was going to do, both in terms of releasing more material with "nuGuns" and never going for the quick and lucrative "reunion" tour with former band members, especially Slash. So unless he is completely without a spine or integrity he can't be very proud of himself, either. So in my eyes they both lost by not having to courage to follow-up on the fantastic music they made in their youth and being more interested in money than art.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I agree with they both having lost, in a sense, but not that they finally saw sense. Slash was never very discriminating when it came to what he played on, and that he welcomed this cash-grdab nostalgia "reunion" comes as no surprise at all (he probably wanted it since the early 2000s). So he got what he wanted but it feels like failure to me. Axl caved completely in regards to what he said he was going to do, both in terms of releasing more material with "nuGuns" and never going for the quick and lucrative "reunion" tour with former band members, especially Slash. So unless he is completely without a spine or integrity he can't be very proud of himself, either. So in my eyes they both lost by not having to courage to follow-up on the fantastic music they made in their youth and being more interested in money than art.

I'd love to know why Axl went back on the 2 or 3 albums in quick succession plan, simply the lukewarm/mixed response to CD? I remember listening to it, loving it and anticipating hearing more, thinking if this was just the first taste of this massive, multi-part thing... wow! He was going to actually pull it off after all this time and then.... weird how it just fizzled out after that and descended into never ending touring.

46 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You are free to make up your own fantasy world based on subjective preferences where you decide what's GN'R and what isn't, but fact is that CD was released by the band GN'R. It says so on the record itself, in any official discography lists, on the band's webpage, in every music magazine who reviewed the record, and it is listed as such on any music industry sites I can find including RIAA, and  -- important! -- this is all is completely uncontested (as long as we disregard butthurt fans who can't get over the fact that the band changed too much to their dislike). Again, all fine and good to live in your own fantasy world if it is comforting to you, where things are how you want them to be, but as soon as you insist on forcing that delusion upon us living in the real world you come across as a bit crazy.

This forum is really funny sometimes... Completely miss the point + "you geeks blablabla" + "im my own mind, CD isn't GNR and you can fuck off" = likes

7 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I'd love to know why Axl went back on the 2 or 3 albums in quick succession plan, simply the lukewarm/mixed response to CD? I remember listening to it, loving it and anticipating hearing more, thinking if this was just the first taste of this massive, multi-part thing... wow! He was going to actually pull it off after all this time and then.... weird how it just fizzled out after that and descended into never ending touring.

I think the lukewarm reception definitely put a damper on things but more importantly I think Bucket and Finck leaving had a lot to do with it.

15 hours ago, North Korean Democracy said:

Yeah Slash doesn't need Axl, I'm pretty sure SMKC could have played the London Stadium on their own. Both need each other. Do you really think Slash got up one day and decided to do the reunion? He wanted it for years but had to wait until Axl decided to do it. He was playing arenas and theatres just like NUGNR, he may have had a better solo career than Axl but at the end of the day they need each other to be the most successful they can be. Slash may be one of the most iconic guitarists of all time but during his most iconic moments he had Axl by his side. Axl and Slash together again are the reason this tour is so massive.

Slash went on to have a productive and successful solo career and became an even bigger icon than he already was. Axl went on to be perceived as a joke and the guy who ruined Guns N Roses. Slash was fine without Axl. All Axl did was milk the legacy of his career while Slash was in the band. Slash doesn't need Axl. Period. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bono said:

Slash went on to have a productive and successful solo career and became an even bigger icon than he already was. Axl went on to be perceived as a joke and the guy who ruined Guns N Roses. Slash was fine without Axl. All Axl did was milk the legacy of his career while Slash was in the band. Slash doesn't need Axl. Period. 

What world do you live in? Slash needs Axl to sell out those fucking stadiums. That indeed is a fact. You can't argue about that. Period.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

What world do you live in? Slash needs Axl to sell out those fucking stadiums. That indeed is a fact. You can't argue about that. Period.

Both need each other to sell out stadiums. Before this reunion Axl was just touring South America and Vegas

• Like 1

Can't be bothered figuring out how to individually quote all the points and respond to each one, but for what it's worth in relation to the convos going on in this page here's my take:

CD parts 2 & 3 fizzled for a myriad of reasons, but imo mainly because CD got a very average response. When you put that together with all the issues of getting it released with the label, the fact that Axl had the shits about how it was released, and in his eyes still not finished, that whole struggle would have been a difficult thing to go through a second and third time, coupled with band mbers leaving, and it just got messy. 

In relation to who needs who, both of these guys need each other equally imo. 

You could argue that slash had the better of the last 20 years and his reputation wasn't harmed in that time whilst Axl's copped a fair hiding, but one thing that's certain imo is this... Slash is better with Axl and Axl is a shit load better with slash! There is a reason why this tour has been successful! And whilst there hasn't been new music released, the tour itself has been a major success. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bono said:

Your response is repeating your previous arguments and refusing to accept the counter arguments I gave you. 
Slash had a more successful solo career? I already said that.
Axl became a joke? I never said otherwise.
Slash doesn't need Axl? Wrong. Slash can't do a big stadium tour without Axl. This tour wouldn't be one of the highest grossing tours ever if Myles Kennedy was in Axl's place. It obviously goes both ways, they need each other. This is not an opinion, this is a fact. 

BTW, U2 fucking sucks. 

Edited by North Korean Democracy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bono said:

The only reason he is such an icon in the first place is because of his time in GN'R with Axl, not his solo stuff and guest spots. which while decent, aren't even close to being comparable to Guns. Of course he's had a fairly successful solo career, knocking out 'meat n' veg' rock albums every couple of years, which, let's face it, are average/decent, nothing more. Axl chose not to go down that route.

Yeah, that's why Axl spent so long trying to do something different and ambitious with NuGuns/CD, because he was 'milking the legacy of his career with Slash in the band'. :facepalm: Dear me.

29 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Yeah, that's why Axl spent so long trying to do something different and ambitious with NuGuns/CD, because he was 'milking the legacy of his career with Slash in the band'. :facepalm: Dear me.

He is doing that now, though. They can still save face if they release a new album soon and go on tour to play new songs instead of this greatest hits show. But hell hasn't frozen over yet.

About the lyrics, I don't know if it's about him, but it shouldn't matter. Lyrics are one person's truth and point of view, doesn't mean someone else playing on the song has to agree with that truth. 14 Years is about Axl and he doesn't come off too good in them, but it doesn't refrain Axl from playing it.

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

He is doing that now, though. They can still save face if they release a new album soon and go on tour to play new songs instead of this greatest hits show. But hell hasn't frozen over yet.

About the lyrics, I don't know if it's about him, but it shouldn't matter. Lyrics are one person's truth and point of view, doesn't mean someone else playing on the song has to agree with that truth. 14 Years is about Axl and he doesn't come off too good in them, but it doesn't refrain Axl from playing it.

Well it's baby steps at the moment isn't it? They're both making a lot of money from touring and there's a lot less pressure just playing shows. Hopefully by the end of it, they will know whether or not they can work together again in terms of writing and recording... they may have absolutely no interest in doing that. It always makes me chuckle that some people expect them to just toss out an album so soon after they've reconnected. Personally, I think (hope) Axl will do an AC/DC record first if Angus asks him, from the interview they did, Axl seemed totally up for doing more.

1 minute ago, bucketfoot said:

It always makes me chuckle that some people expect them to just toss out an album so soon after they've reconnected. Personally, I think (hope) Axl will do an AC/DC record first if Angus asks him, from the interview they did, Axl seemed totally up for doing more.

I don't expect it at all, I don't think anyone does. But I think they would have received a lot more respect if they released new material and toured that. 

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I don't expect it at all, I don't think anyone does. But I think they would have received a lot more respect if they released new material and toured that. 

I don't think they were ever going to do that tbh, such was the brutality of their falling out/fued. I suppose they're dipping their toe back in to see if it could ever work again and if it not, no harm done. Worst case scenario is that people will have seen Axl/Slash(Duff) on stage one last time and they will have made a shitload of cash in the process. Axl hangs up the GN'R name, joins AC/DC for an album/tour and hopefully puts out some solo material. Slash goes back to doing his thing and the same with Duff. Best case scenario, we get an album.... eventually.

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

The only reason he is such an icon in the first place is because of his time in GN'R with Axl, not his solo stuff and guest spots. which while decent, aren't even close to being comparable to Guns. Of course he's had a fairly successful solo career, knocking out 'meat n' veg' rock albums every couple of years, which, let's face it, are average/decent, nothing more. Axl chose not to go down that route.

Spot on

• Like 1