Rate: Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Days of Thunder edition

Which version of KOHD do you prefer?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

What a freak show. Teddy dancing with Tracy/Roberta... man, :facepalm:

The abyss of this band was thoroughly explored here.

You ignored the musical excerpt I highlighted lol

On 2017-07-27 at 0:58 AM, Juventino said:

I'm pretty sure Sorum replied to a question on Twitter about a year ago that he played on both.

Curiously, Triple M radio in Adelaide (and I'd assume the rest of Australia) only seems to play the DoT version.

Yes. He replied to me.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:01 AM, EvH said:

Steven doesn't play on the DOT version.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:38 PM, ludurigan said:

says who?

On 7/27/2017 at 1:11 AM, EvH said:

Every available source. You're welcome.

On 7/27/2017 at 8:15 AM, axlweave said:

Adler does not play on DOT Heavens Door, the only song he played on for the illusions is civil war both on the illusions and on the noboday child album.

I can't prove anyone correct or incorrect on this but GNR announced in July 1990 that Matt Sorum joined the band.  Steven was also fired in July 1990, or at least that's when his firing was announced.  The Days of Thunder soundtrack was released in June 1990 and it's safe to assume that the songs for the soundtrack would likely have to have been recorded a least a couple of months before the soundtrack was released to allow time for mixing & pressing/manufacturing of the CD's & cassettes.  With that timeline I can't see how Matt Sorum was possibly the drummer on the Days of Thunder version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewy2 said:

I can't prove anyone correct or incorrect on this but GNR announced in July 1990 that Matt Sorum joined the band.  Steven was also fired in July 1990, or at least that's when his firing was announced.  The Days of Thunder soundtrack was released in June 1990 and it's safe to assume that the songs for the soundtrack would likely have to have been recorded a least a couple of months before the soundtrack was released to allow time for mixing & pressing/manufacturing of the CD's & cassettes.  With that timeline I can't see how Matt Sorum was possibly the drummer on the Days of Thunder version.

exactly, that matt's tweet is kinda confusing. it gives the impression that he is saying that he played on DOT but also gives the impression that he could be talking about KOHD from uyi2

15 minutes ago, pugachev said:

Always will be my favorite version

NITL sounds meh with all the bloat. Slash's bad noodling doesn't help things. His technical ability might've improved over the years, but his improv ability can't hold a candle to old Slash.

thanks

slash is noodling like crazy lately and that gets really fucking boring really fucking fast!

slash noodling is the equivalent of axl mickeying -- sad to see two of the greatest performers ever doing subpar stuff

On 7/28/2017 at 8:36 AM, AncientEvil80 said:

What a freak show. Teddy dancing with Tracy/Roberta... man, :facepalm:

The abyss of this band was thoroughly explored here.

that's the worst axl, slash and duff tour ever!

except for the new one which is even worse!

the aliens today are so bad that they make even that crap 1992 tour sound (and even look) good in comparison!

I like the Wembley, Paris, Tokyo, Chicago, Oklahoma performances as much as the next guy but my personal favorite is Toronto 1991. Some banter from Axl directed at Slash during Only Women Bleed & even though there's a cut...Dat second solo though!

On 25.7.2017 at 5:20 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I loved all the versions from the classic Era.

The early Raw Stripped Down versions were great

The UYI versions were great.. Slash had some killer solos during some of those

The Acoustic Skin N' Bones versions were great. Even Dizzy's piano solo in it.

The new version is drawn out and kind of boring.. I don't hate it like some but they should start by ripping out the Fortus solos.. Axl doesn't sound to great on the oooh ooooh ooooh oooh parts either.

The acoustic version from the  Dust n Bones tour was awesome :headbang:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

the aliens today are so bad that they make even that crap 1992 tour sound (and even look) good in comparison!

Haha, let's not go all-out negative, there are some good aspects to the NITL tour, albeit very small and rare.

But yea, at least back then there were still Axl's rants. LMFAO :axl92::headbang:

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

It may be the worst Axl, Slash, Duff tour but it's still awesome.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ludurigan said:

exactly, that matt's tweet is kinda confusing. it gives the impression that he is saying that he played on DOT but also gives the impression that he could be talking about KOHD from uyi2

Yeah I'm thinking either Matt didn't understand the question we're interpreting what he's saying the wrong way.  I just don't see how he could have been the drummer on that track unless he was secretly in the band before Adler was even fired.  And if that was the case I'm sure we would have heard about that by now.

11 hours ago, Chewy2 said:

Yeah I'm thinking either Matt didn't understand the question we're interpreting what he's saying the wrong way.  I just don't see how he could have been the drummer on that track unless he was secretly in the band before Adler was even fired.  And if that was the case I'm sure we would have heard about that by now.

Guys. I don't know why we're still debating on this after it has been done many times before.

To be honest I don't even know why people still insist that it is Steven when a simple listen reveals that it's impossible. Just listen to the track and compare the two versions. This is the same drum track, the same performance, the same fills. This is Matt on BOTH versions. The track was just remixed (most notably, added reverb on the UYI version for it to melt better with the rest of the albums, giving it a unified sound). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EvH said:

Guys. I don't know why we're still debating on this after it has been done many times before.

To be honest I don't even know why people still insist that it is Steven when a simple listen reveals that it's impossible. Just listen to the track and compare the two versions. This is the same drum track, the same performance, the same fills. This is Matt on BOTH versions. The track was just remixed (most notably, added reverb on the UYI version for it to melt better with the rest of the albums, giving it a unified sound). 

i believe you are correct, a lot of matt fills on it, it really sounds like matt

fuck if the drums and guitars on illusions had this sound it would be so much better

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Haha, let's not go all-out negative, there are some good aspects to the NITL tour, albeit very small and rare.

But yea, at least back then there were still Axl's rants. LMFAO :axl92::headbang:

yeah i can see some good shit on this tour but the aliens (and the speedy tempo) make it unlistenable...

Just now, ludurigan said:

i believe you are correct, a lot of matt fills on it, it really sounds like matt

fuck if the drums and guitars on illusions had this sound it would be so much better

Agreed. That's my main gripe with the UYIs and the aspect that really hasn't aged well (Axl's ad libs and too frequent oversinging being the other).

• Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 9:39 AM, RONIN said:

Can't believe you remembered his character's name in the movie. :P

I had the nintendo game. :lol:

I'm from Nascar country, it's hard to forget a good driver name :lol:

Fun fact: I know a couple of people who were at a race that was filmed, so they're in the movie, of course you can't see them since they're in a stand of 10,000 people, but they still be like, yea I was in that movie I was an extra :lol:

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 5:28 AM, EvH said:

I just cannot see how that's possible because again, the DOT soundtrack was released a month before Steven Adler was even fired.   And then Sorum was announced as the new drummer probably a couple of weeks after that.   I mean I see what you're saying about the drumming style but the timeline just doesn't work.  I really want to know the truth to this now.  Can someone contact Slash's girlfriend again on  Twitter?  :lol:

Hi guys. I'm new here. Lurker a long time ago, created an account finally.

This kind of discussion motivates me to do so.

Listen to Matt Sorum himself at 11:10 minute mark. He mentions working for the Days of Thunder soundtrack.

Spitfire vídeo interview Matt Sorum

As being said already, Steven's drumming style is so different than Matt. As pointed out by forum member EvH, both DOT and UYI versions are the SAME drum tracks. Just listen carefully to each other. Different mix: Hell DOT version has Izzy loud in the mix :headbang:

On 29/7/2017 at 10:47 PM, Chewy2 said:

That's an interesting point that has always appeared on the KOHD Days Of Thunder drummer controversy. 

Valid but refutable.

Let's remember Steven was put in standby mode since the beginning of 1990, therefore they worked with a couple of drummers (Adam Maples, Martin Chambers).

All of this before Matt Sorum entered the picture.

According to Mick Wall, phone interviewing Axl,  Steven was "reinstated" in february under a new contract. Also it's mentioned the band was gonna reconvene in the studio in may and start working with new member Dizzy Reed.

My guess is that's when Sorum began working with them behind the scenes.

All of this while Adler already played his last gig in april at Farm Aid and was walking on thin ice. Signed away his rights, became a wage earner.

July press statement about Adler firing was a mere formal PR procedure. He was OUT of the unit months before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nasty Bronchitis said:

Listen to Matt Sorum himself at 11:10 minute mark. He mentions working for the Days of Thunder soundtrack.

As being said already, Steven's drumming style is so different than Matt. As pointed out by forum member EvH, both DOT and UYI versions are the SAME drum tracks. Just listen carefully to each other. Different mix: Hell DOT version has Izzy loud in the mix :headbang:

That's an interesting point that has always appeared on the KOHD Days Of Thunder drummer controversy. 

Valid but refutable.

Let's remember Steven was put in standby mode since the beginning of 1990, therefore they worked with a couple of drummers (Adam Maples, Martin Chambers).

According to Mick Wall, phone interviewing Axl,  Steven was "reinstated" in february under a new contract. Also it's mentioned the band was gonna reconvene in the studio in may and start working with new member Dizzy Reed.

All of this while Adler already played his last gig in april at Farm Aid and was walking on thin ice. Signed away his rights, became a wage earner.

July press statement about Adler firing was a mere formal PR procedure. He was OUT of the unit months before.

Great post. So Steven had already been demoted by Doug Goldstein and the band to a wage earner with the new contract in February of 1990? Always assumed that was done post-Farm Aid...

I actually assumed the DOT track was Steven Adler and had to edit the thread once @EvH pointed this out to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nasty Bronchitis said:

Valid but refutable.

Great post, thank you. Hopefully this will put the Adler theory to rest!

17 hours ago, Nasty Bronchitis said:

you know what?

there is YET ONE MORE FUCKING GUNS N ROSES HOLY GRAIL that we rarely talk about

= Guns n Roses sessions with Adam Maples

= Guns n Roses sessions with Martin Chambers

Can you guys imagine how great these "sessions" can be if they were properly recorded?

let's suppose, for example, that the guys tried each one of these drummers for 1 or 2 weeks...

let's say they played early or maybe very embrionary versions of Illusion songs...

let's say they also jammed some ideas that never became full songs and were later abandoned...

let's suppose they played some easy covers that they never played live just to get things going, like some ramones songs, or some stones songs?

was axl there? did he bother going to these rehearsals/sessions?

was izzy there? or was he on detox?

fuck...

i would LOVE to listen to each and every minute of these sessions and find what they played, how they played...

i suppose there is GOLD on it!

Edited by ludurigan

On 8/3/2017 at 1:35 AM, Nasty Bronchitis said:

Valid but refutable.

I did know that Adler was probably really out much before July even if he didn't know it himself.  But it seemed odd that Matt would have been playing with them as far back as April 1990, which if you think about it is probably the least amount of time needed for the song to have been recorded, mixed & the soundtrack put together for the June release.  Well anyway, I get what you're saying.

• 2 weeks later...