Rate: Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Days of Thunder edition

Which version of KOHD do you prefer?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I like this version a lot more. It just shows you how much GnR raped this song.

That Ferry version is more low key for sure (and doesn't turn into stadium rock of course...like the Guns version) however it's still a busy arrangement when compared to the original.....So a case can be made that Ferry rapes this song a bit as well :P

Would have been nice seeing Guns do an acoustic sorta version of Knockin'...like they did with You're Crazy...

They should have made an EP...Use Your Lies...Select songs from the Illusion albums done acoustic :P

Edited by Nostalgia^

1 hour ago, Nostalgia^ said:

That Ferry version is more low key for sure (and doesn't turn into stadium rock of course...like the Guns version) however it's still a busy arrangement when compared to the original.....So a case can be made that Ferry rapes this song a bit as well :P

I don't mind a ''busy arrangement'', but I don't like how they turned it into a hard rock song. Plus Axl's vocals are annoying (hey hey hey hey), and no need for those solos in this song. But... that's just my two cents, a lot of people seem to like their version.

22 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't mind a ''busy arrangement'', but I don't like how they turned it into a hard rock song. Plus Axl's vocals are annoying (hey hey hey hey), and no need for those solos in this song. But... that's just my two cents, a lot of people seem to like their version.

I understand where you're coming from. But Guns N' Roses are a hard rock band....making that song their own made/makes a whole lot of sense..and on top of that it proved well suited for the big sing-a-long stadium experience....And yes, it's one of those Dylan songs where the cover might actually be more well known than the original....Like Hendrix' version of All Along the Watchtower also written by Dylan.

Edited by Nostalgia^

Just now, Nostalgia^ said:

I understand where you're coming from. But Guns N' Roses are a hard rock band....making that song their own made/makes a whole lot of sense...And yes, it's one of those Dylan songs where the cover might actually be more well known than the original....Like Hendrix' version of Al Along the Watchtower also written by Dylan.

Jimi's version of AATW is brilliant, Dylan started playing Jimi's version afterwards for that reason. 

Yes, it makes sense that they turned it into a hardrock song, but I don't think it sounds good. They shouldn't have put it on the album. But what do I know? It was one of their biggest hits in 1992.

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Jimi's version of AATW is brilliant, Dylan started playing Jimi's version afterwards for that reason. 

Yes, it makes sense that they turned it into a hardrock song, but I don't think it sounds good. They shouldn't have put it on the album. But what do I know? It was one of their biggest hits in 1992.

You can say the same thing about Live And Let Die....another cover that people just loved...but that was also a cover...and that in reality had no business on a "new studio" album...

That said though. I love how Axl sings both of those song....and while very flamboyant...they are still good songs I feel :D

Edited by Nostalgia^

Just now, Nostalgia^ said:

You can say the same thing about Live And Let Die....another cover that people just loved...but that was also a cover...

Sure, but I don't mind Live And Let Die. It works as a hardrock song. I think.

Don't give much for KOHD 15min live version either. If they played it like the album it would be more digestible. That being said - my favourite live version is from Paris 92, because of Slash's clean descending riff after the 2nd "give me reggae" - GROOVIEST SHIT EVER!

5 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Come on people you know what I like! ...GIMME SOME REGGAE! :headbang:

:rofl-lol:

the 1992 "gimme some reggae" nonsense was the beginning of the end for KOHD. The song was terrific live but after the T&R circus and the reagge bit and all the crap it never sounded great again

(except for... some... 5 times... in 1993 )

4 hours ago, Juventino said:

I'm pretty sure Sorum replied to a question on Twitter about a year ago that he played on both.

Curiously, Triple M radio in Adelaide (and I'd assume the rest of Australia) only seems to play the DoT version.

Triple m Sydney always plays the dot version too.

im sure I read somewhere that this was recorded by Steven before he was fired, then they retracked the drums with Matt a few months later? 

Days Of Thunder version was (re-)mixed by Steve Thompson & Michael Barbiero, which is strange as Slash in his autobiography says that they weren't a mixing duo by the time Illusions were at mixing process.

I've always wondered what this "remixing" meant as the original version wasn't even released.... or does there exist one more GNRKOHD?

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Knockin-On-Heavens-Door-Remix/release/1913914

4 minutes ago, frankarmoton said:

Days Of Thunder version was (re-)mixed by Steve Thompson & Michael Barbiero, which is strange as Slash in his autobiography says that they weren't a mixing duo by the time Illusions were at mixing process.

I've always wondered what this "remixing" meant as the original version wasn't even released.... or does there exist one more GNRKOHD?

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Knockin-On-Heavens-Door-Remix/release/1913914

I think Heaven's Door and Civil War were recorded several months before all the other UYI songs. I guess that mixing duo was still around for those two songs (spring 1990 for CW and summer 1990 for KOHD) but then they were split by the time the band recorded the rest of the two albums (late 1990 - early 1991).

Edited by rocknroll41

17 hours ago, EvH said:

thanks

but i cant see anything other than someone asking matt about it. cant see his answer.

this is what appears on my screen

mattsorum
@mattsorum

"@okeefep: @mattsorum question for u! Days of Thunder KOHD, that's you right (As well as UYI version)? Also, why didn't you redo UYI Civil War?" Yep except civil 2013-10-19

12 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

thanks

but i cant see anything other than someone asking matt about it. cant see his answer.

this is what appears on my screen

mattsorum
@mattsorum

"@okeefep: @mattsorum question for u! Days of Thunder KOHD, that's you right (As well as UYI version)? Also, why didn't you redo UYI Civil War?" Yep except civil 2013-10-19

His answer is after the quotation marks ;)

2 minutes ago, EvH said:

His answer is after the quotation marks ;)

ok, just saw it now. weird answer. not sure yet but i see where you comin from. not sure if he read that one fast and thought it was KOHD from uyi

Edited by ludurigan

On 7/27/2017 at 2:30 AM, zepsun said:

Don't give much for KOHD 15min live version either. If they played it like the album it would be more digestible. That being said - my favourite live version is from Paris 92, because of Slash's clean descending riff after the 2nd "give me reggae" - GROOVIEST SHIT EVER!

What a freak show. Teddy dancing with Tracy/Roberta... man, :facepalm:

The abyss of this band was thoroughly explored here.