10/19/17 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center

gunsguy

@Tom-Ass Actually, looking at your list...lotta great songs still in there. ;)  I get what you mean though.  CD songs should be dropped and that's coming from a CD fan.  The current line-up just doesn't do them justice...maybe with the exception of Better.  For what it's worth KOHD, which is one of the dullest songs in existence, does work live: Axl makes it work.  It's great hearing everyone yell their hearts out to that one.  You are going to have an awesome time Sunday, mark my words.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ironmt said:

One thing Is for certain, November Rain Is actually listenable now.  Really nice to have some rasp back In the song and Slash's solos are right on with the album version, particularly tonight. 

Ok, just listened to Paradise City, another song that Is usually dreadful live, well not tonight. Axl seems to be making a slow comeback. I am grateful to actually be able to listen to some of these songs In full again. I truly appreciate the honest effort from Axl.

November Rain has definitely gotten way better, both Slash and Axl were great on it! The  tempo seemed to be better as well. no? I think the tempo on some songs effects both Axl and Slash.  I didn't make it to PC due to being turned off by all the CD songs but I did watch one from the other day and Axl pretty solid on that as well.. Still wish he wouldn't sing over Slash's intro lead but what can ya do? ;)

• Like 1

One of the best Jungles this year...Axl looking so happy and joking but delivering on the vocals, just post the bridge, the longest he's held that raspy note for a while !!
When you see stuff like that, you know he's got an on and off switch and chooses to pace himself over a 3hr 30 min gig ! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

You are going to have an awesome time Sunday, mark my words.  :thumbsup:

I will... I am not going there to have a bad time.. It just sucks that there will be so many lulls in the set but I will spend all my energy on the good stuff... That encore though.. I could seriously see myself contemplating heading for the door early... I wouldn't though because I still a haven't seem them play Don't Cry since the reunion and who knows if it will be the last time I See them play PC together.  

So Axl has been sounding good on PC and November Rain.. I even watched a Sweet Child the other day that was pretty good.. Any improvement on Yesterday's? That would be pretty sweet...

19 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

One of the best Jungles this year...Axl looking so happy and joking but delivering on the vocals, just post the bridge, the longest he's held that raspy note for a while !!
When you see stuff like that, you know he's got an on and off switch and chooses to pace himself over a 3hr 30 min gig ! 

Holy hell his voice didn't collapse on that first line! He's slowly coming back....about time 

25 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@Tom-Ass Actually, looking at your list...lotta great songs still in there. ;)  I get what you mean though.  CD songs should be dropped and that's coming from a CD fan.  The current line-up just doesn't do them justice...maybe with the exception of Better.  For what it's worth KOHD, which is one of the dullest songs in existence, does work live: Axl makes it work.  It's great hearing everyone yell their hearts out to that one.  You are going to have an awesome time Sunday, mark my words.  :thumbsup:

CD is the best CD song. It's aged the best too 

• Like 1

Just now, maynard said:

You guys hear what you want to hear I guess. Axl sounds shit as always. Tempo is the same. They won't make adjustments in the last month of touring.

Sounding good is relative, man. I mean if you listen to proper Axl from the 90's, from 06-10, he sure sounds like shit. Relative to Axl's shot voice from most of 2011-2014 and all of 2017 up to the NA Arena Leg, there are significant, noticeable improvent. 

Axl will never sound like he did, sadly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Sounding good is relative, man. I mean if you listen to proper Axl from the 90's, from 06-10, he sure sounds like shit. Relative to Axl's shot voice from most of 2011-2014 and all of 2017 up to the NA Arena Leg, there are significant, noticeable improvent. 

Axl will never sound like he did, sadly.

Nope, no significant improvement. Unless you consider singing a line with rasp now that he sang clean before significant. There's no shot voice, he sings with a clean voice because he wants to. If they schedule an AXL/DC gig for next week you'll see how he sounds.

• Like 1

I got there towards the end of DTJ (I'm pathetic, I know) so I missed WTTJ and DTJ, two of my all time favorites. Still, have to say, it was a pretty solid performance by Axl - relatively speaking, of course. The biggest and perhaps most pleasant surprise was the coda to Coma - he usually whimpers through it, but he held it together better than anything I've seen on this tour. They all seemed to be in a good mood, which is a bit confounding given the length, and let's face it, monotony of this particular tour. There was more interaction with the audience from the big 3 in particular. Yes, Axl lost tempo several times, and Frank... what can I say. Love him, but I just wish he'd try and simplify it a bit... less Neil Peart and more Steven Adler. But I guess it's a personality thing, and hey, if Slash and Duff are having as good a time playing with him that they seem to be having, who the fuck am i to complain. 

When I saw them last year at Fedex Field, they were playing a lot more conservative - Slash was sticking to the script, in particular. He's letting loose, now. Improvised solos can be a mixed bag, but man, he was flying. FLYING. Right there on the edge of the infamous noodling that Izzy would complain about. Axl gave a slightly longer introduction to Slash this time but I couldn't quite hear it - Slash did thank him, though. 

I'm starting to believe we haven't heard the last of this lineup once this tour is over. I'm a skeptic, don't get me wrong. But being at last night's show - it's hard to believe that any group of people who are playing this well together, and who are this happy playing together, wouldn't want to keep it going. 

Unless, of course, they don't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Holy hell his voice didn't collapse on that first line! He's slowly coming back....about time 

CD is the best CD song. It's aged the best too 

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I can agree with that.. I actually always liked that song. It is also placed well in the set list..

Funnily enough, the title track has never done much for me.  I don't dislike it.  I just find it a tad boring?  And hearing it live didn't change my mind as I had been hoping.

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Just look how much fucking fun he's having! I've never seen him so consistently happy. For years you might see him for a song or two with no glasses, bandana or hat but he almost always had something on and a lot of the time you couldn't see him for all his clobber. Now he's just so chilled. 

1 hour ago, Derick said:

Axl at the mark 8min46sec :lol:

Again, just so fun to see how relaxed he is goofing around whilst Slash noodles.

Also, remember how starting in 2002 he would disappear of stage in almost every song during the solos etc? He still did it although less more recently but that's all but stopped, right?

@IncitingChaos

Man, to me CD has always been the least interesting song. Lyrically it's like, whatever, the Chinese government suck. It can sound pretty meaty and good live and probably sounds better to casuals than the other stuff. But as a song, it's just dull and basic next to the rest of the record. I feel like it wouldn't have been on there if the name wasn't already mythic by the time it came out. 

Anyone catch what he said during his intro of Slash? 

All the people earlier this year who said his voice was done for good, time to retire etc etc. Whatever.

And I can't believe people are thinking there's even the slightest chance they retire the band after this. Are you totally daft?! 

Axl's 56 and he's absolutely loving playing after a year and a half on the road. He loves gigging and the road life. Most artists by that age are pretty much sick of the massive world tours and really only do them because it's the only way to fund their lifestyles. This dude is fucking loving it and way, way, way from being even close to done.

2 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Reeling in Slash because his solo won't stop 

That makes sense. LOL  What a funny guy.  Is there a Slash reaction?? :lol:  Look at Richard's face - priceless!  

@Jordan Rose You're right, Axl is having fun.  If these guys are all happy playing together and they are obviously having fun, I see no reason why they shouldn't write new material.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I will... I am not going there to have a bad time.. It just sucks that there will be so many lulls in the set but I will spend all my energy on the good stuff... That encore though.. I could seriously see myself contemplating heading for the door early... I wouldn't though because I still a haven't seem them play Don't Cry since the reunion and who knows if it will be the last time I See them play PC together.  

So Axl has been sounding good on PC and November Rain.. I even watched a Sweet Child the other day that was pretty good.. Any improvement on Yesterday's? That would be pretty sweet...

I’m going Sunday and prob will skip the encore. 

• Like 1