What happened to Steven Adler?

There probably was no real intention of including Steven they just led him to believe that so he'll keep his mouth shut. He has to keep some members of his axl circus band so it won't seem that he wasted all those decades which he did. That's also why they still play CD songs maybe slash and duff are contractually obligated to play certain number of CD songs of their choosing. 

2 hours ago, Bassist4 said:

Im sorry but i never in my life seen someone like Steven Adler who wants to play their instrument so badly with a band he helped make huge...only for that said band to do a half ass reunion and treat him like dog shit wrapped in cat shit yet he still thanks them...regardless of what Steven did in the past it is so much easier to forgive...IMO steven seems to have such a great outgoing fun personality who seems to enjoy playing the drums more than ever...why they cant just bring him back and let him play is beyond me...cos that is clearly all the guy wants to do is play!

as for steven being unreliable or whatever else anyone thinks as to why he cant be givin a full chance at a tour ...umm perhaps you all forgot the uyi tours when axl would "maybe" show up or maybe not or maybe he would come on stage and leave for a tantrum halfway through..yet everyone seems to have forgiven him for that..right?

The last time Adler was given a chance was in 2013 when Duff invited him to open for Loaded in Japan. How did that turn out? Alder went off on a bender and then whined about Duff getting mad at him for it. He couldn't handle that and you think it's realistic to have him be the full-time drummer for a tour of this magnitude? After the Loaded tour Duff can't even vouch for him!

Aside from that, it took some work for Axl/Slash/Duff to mend fences and get on the same page. It was/might be a fragile situation and there was work put into them agreeing on what their goal was here and what they needed from each other to make it work - ie, Slash doesn't do interviews about the reunion, Axl shows up on time. Adler's obnoxious and doesn't have the tact to work within a situation like that. We've seen that already. He's scheduled for one show, he shows up at another expecting to play just because he showed up. Then he complains that they only let him play once on the show he wasn't supposed to be at in the first place. While Axl/Slash/Duff have found a way to communicate and co-exist, you'd have Adler hounding them about what he wants to do and complaining about what he doesn't like to the media. 

• Like 1

On September 1, 2017 at 0:49 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Sadly, I think Axl pretty much did all but chain Steven to a bed.  If being issued with a contract that basically says GNR or drugs - please choose - doesn't make you wake up and take stock of your life, what would?  Even near death experiences weren't enough.  It's sad and a waste of talent.

very sad indeed...people with addiction/disease don't see things like you and I (assuming ;) ). 

Well, I'll put my opinion about it. I support 100% their decision to leave Adler out of the tour. Like everyone here, I don´t know the real reason, I can only assume. And based on what has already happened on tours where he tried and failed, I suppose the main reason is the risk of him falling again.

Let me explain my assumption. Not all addicts under treatment behave the same way, not all addicts react in the same way to treatment and not everyone is able to fight against the temptations of everyday life and succeed. It's one thing to be clean while you're at home with all the care and all the shielding that the problem requires otherwise is you being in unfamiliar surroundings, traveling the world, jumping from hotel to hotel, every 2 or 3 days receive a ton of adrenaline for playing in front of thousands of people. Someone might say that Slash and Duff are also addicts and can stay clean. Like I said before, not everyone reacts in the same way. Luckily they can keep themselves sober. Adler has already proven that he can´t handle it.

Anyway..Unlike many here, I don´t believe they have let Adler off the tour because they are bad people, or because they are selfish or anything of the sort. For me it was to protect him and also protect themselves. Despite his age, Adler is still an innocent child, still a dreamer, he is pure emotion and, unfortunately, also very vulnerable. So I think the last thing they want is to have to deal with this kind of problem during such a hectic tour. Not to mention the possibility of something very tragic happening .. Someone here remembers Weiland? Yeah..

It was a load of hypocritical bollocks, Adler's sacking. Let's look at the Illusion era, the immediate era after Adler's sacking? Slash at the time was running around outside stark bollock naked, hiding from ''little devils''; he also used to regularly pee his leather trews. Duff had big revolting abscesses on his neck and hands (he covers them with gloves on the 1993 tour) because of all of the booze. But they managed to be at least reliable. The only unreliable one of the lot was Rose who was acting like an idiot, not starting the gig until hours and stomping off stage in petulance causing riots.

None of these people have a moral cause to sack Adler. None of these people, it could be said, were inherently better at keeping things operating (considering the band collapsed anyway!)?

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was a load of hypocritical bollocks, Adler's sacking. Let's look at the Illusion era, the immediate era after Adler's sacking? Slash at the time was running around outside stark bollock naked, hiding from ''little devils''; he also used to regularly pee his leather trews. Duff had big revolting abscesses on his neck and hands (he covers them with gloves on the 1993 tour) because of all of the booze. But they managed to be at least reliable. The only unreliable one of the lot was Rose who was acting like an idiot, not starting the gig until hours and stomping off stage in petulance causing riots.

None of these people have a moral cause to sack Adler. None of these people, it could be said, were inherently better at keeping things operating (considering the band collapsed anyway!)?

At least they could play. I mean, if Steven was so far gone he couldn't keep time then they made the right decision, even if they weren't perfect either.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

At least they could play. I mean, if Steven was so far gone he couldn't keep time then they made the right decision, even if they weren't perfect either.

Well they were not exactly playing when Rose hadn't arrived at eleven at night, were they, and they were further again not playing when Rose decided that he wanted a toddler's fit, stomping off stage? I repeat, the only unreliable performer was Axl.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Well we have the evidence of the shows themselves. Adler hurt himself and had to be replaced by the chap from Cinderella and that is about it. Axl? Take your pick - and his behaviour began quite early - that show they were supposed to be supporting Alice Cooper and Izzy and Duff ended up singing all the songs.

Fact, Axl was far more unreliable than Adler.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well we have the evidence of the shows themselves. Adler hurt himself and had to be replaced by the chap from Cinderella and that is about it. Axl? Take your pick - and his behaviour began quite early - that show they were supposed to be supporting Alice Cooper and Izzy and Duff ended up singing all the songs.

You're being ridiculous now. I don't know if your dislike of Axl or of SoulMonster is your motivation in this.

I can't believe in 2017 some people are debating whether Steven Adler was reliable.

Edited by Lio

Just now, Lio said:

You're being ridiculous now. I don't know if it's your dislike of Axl or of SoulMonster is your motivation in this.

I can't believe in 2017 some people are debating whether Steven Adler was reliable.

Correction, I'm not saying ''Adler was reliable''. I'm saying he was no less reliable than Slosh and Duff (or for that matter Izzy ''wizzing on a plane'' Stradlin), and significantly less reliable than Rose.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The shows BEFORE Steven was fired are no evidence of how bad he was when he was fired ;)

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Correction, I'm not saying ''Adler was reliable''. I'm saying he was no less reliable than Slosh and Duff (or for that matter Izzy ''wizzing on a plane'' Stradlin), and significantly less reliable than Rose.

Okay. Apparently he was less reliable, as they couldn't get him to record UYI.

I think we all agree they were all a mess and each had their issues, but Steven was the one who completely messed up.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

The shows BEFORE Steven was fired are no evidence of how bad he was when he was fired ;)

By that logic, and sustaining the 'rightness' of Adler's sacking, we have to presume Adler's behaviour would have been significantly worse than Illusion era - how many riots is that - Rose, or Slosh with his urine smelling kegs and little devils chasing him. My argument is both correct pre-Adler and post-Adler.

Hypothetically, if they'd continued after 1993, McKagan's pancreas may have exploded mid-tour, hoodwinking the crowd into believing it was a pyrotechnic they'd just heard and not the last vestiges of Duff's digestive organ.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm saying he was no less reliable than Slosh and Duff (or for that matter Izzy ''wizzing on a plane'' Stradlin), and significantly less reliable than Rose.

And again, you don't know that because you weren't there witnessing how bad he had become in 1990. Pointing out that he was okay in 1988 simply makes no sense. None of us were there in 1990, none of us were flies on the walls of those recording studios. We have to rely on what other guys have said, and the rest of the band speak in unison on this. All their quotes suggest he was unable to play, he couldn't keep time. There is no bigger liability to touring than that. Not even Axl's primadonna behavior could rival being unable to play.

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

Okay. Apparently he was less reliable, as they couldn't get him to record UYI.

I think we all agree they were all a mess and each had their issues, but Steven was the one who completely messed up.

I do not know how one can judge completeness here, but considering Slash was running away from devils, and that Duff's innards would soon go kaboom, I would not like to make a relative judgement against Adler here.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

By that logic, and sustaining the 'rightness' of Adler's sacking, we have to presume Adler's behaviour would have been significantly worse than Illusion era - how many riots is that - Rose, or Slosh with his urine smelling kegs and little devils chasing him. My argument is both correct pre-Adler and post-Adler.

There is no fancy logic behind accepting the numerous statements that Steven's addiction had got him in such a bad state that he couldn't be relied upon to record and play. And yes, going by what was said about him, and you can read a lot of it from my earlier post, Steven presumably was in a worse state than Axl and Slash would turn out to be. For the most part they did really well.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not know how one can judge completeness here, but considering Slash was running away from devils, and that Duff's innards would soon go kaboom, I would not like to make a relative judgement against Adler here.

But you are making a relative judgment when you mysteriously claim to know that Steven wasn't in as bad shape as everyone claimed he was, and would indeed have done a better job than Slash and Axl turned out to do in the upcoming recording and tour.

Is it the fact that I am posting here that forces you somehow to take absurd, opposing stances? Let's try this out: Eating rocks are bad for your teeth. Will you now defend rock eating?

How are we judging this?

The morality of sacking a serial drug offender? As ascertained, Hudson, McKagan and Stradlin were either notorious drug/booze addicts, or in the latter's example, had been drug addicts; Slash and Duff would continue being addicts - Slash, who would require a defibrillation, into the 2000s. Wasn't Slash pronounced clinical dead on a number of occasions?

Unreliability? Rose curtailed more shows than Adler. Rose cancelled more shows than Adler. Rose caused more riots than Adler through his petulance. Rose lost the band more money than Adler. Rose would continue to be as similarly unpredictable until relatively recent - the 2002 tour was a particularly bad example.