What happened to Steven Adler?

3 hours ago, Lio said:

Yet here you are, on a GNR forum :rolleyes:

Posting stuff some people said in the previous century. In the meantime, Kurt has been dead for 23 years, James Hetfield is still doing same old same old and Jason Newsted is... Um, don't even know what he's been up to the past 20 years or so. I think we all know Axl was quite a handful back in the day, to put it mildly. We have all read these quotes millions of times over the last 25 years. They're hardly relevant in 2017, let alone in a Steven Adler thread. You could at least have made the effort to include a few Adler quotes.

👍👍👍👍

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Words have importance. That's all. We should all strive to be precise and concise when we express ourselves. If people can't escape having to call Steven the original drummer of GN'R, when he clearly wasn't, then they should try harder.

It has nothing to do with proving hos knowledgable I am but by being annoyed by people who are accidentally (or deliberately, which may be the case here) imprecise. And this being GN'R fan forum, maybe some of those who refer to Steven as the original drummer actually believe he was, then surely they'd appeciate learning more about the foundation of the band and the actual original drummer, Rob Gardner. I mean, you can casual fans to not know about these things but you would expect at least us hardcores to get it right.

By this reasoning the AFD lineup was Axl and Izzy from Guns n' Roses and 3 guys off the street. To me, the "original" members were the ones that were in the lineup at the time they were signed. Should Tracii Guns be on NITl instead of Slash?

1 hour ago, Intercourse said:

Wow, the old Axlamic Fundamentalists are still going!

It's hilarious to watch them try to defend Axl from quotes attributable to people who were there.

Like most high functioning music stars, sportsmen, politicians etc. they are not nice people in their arena of brilliance - and that's a big part of why they got there. 

Its show business after all.

And yet anything Axl, Slash or Duff - the guys who where there - say about Adler is to be taken seriously because they're just sneaky conspirators with an agenda!

Technically speaking SoulMonster is right. But it's silly nitpicking about something like this because there are maybe ten people (which probably includes the original members themselves) on this planet that don't consider the AFD lineup as the original lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

By this reasoning the AFD lineup was Axl and Izzy from Guns n' Roses and 3 guys off the street. To me, the "original" members were the ones that were in the lineup at the time they were signed. Should Tracii Guns be on NITl instead of Slash?

No, by this reasoning the AFD lineup was that lineup who recorded and released AFD. The original (=first) lineup was another lineup.

And no, the NITL is about honoring the legendary GNR, not the obscure and short-lived original crew. 

27 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Technically speaking SoulMonster is right. But it's silly nitpicking about something like this because there are maybe ten people (which probably includes the original members themselves) on this planet that don't consider the AFD lineup as the original lineup.

The more people are wrong, the more important it is to right. 

On 8/23/2017 at 7:00 AM, rudolf1978 said:

I was expecting him to appear in some US show,...........did he fucked up again?

He's not insurable for a full tour and as for playing a few guest spots here and there in 2017-he's still a major risk and all of the various legal teams associated with GNR (from each member to sponsorship brands to the venues themselves, etc.) don't want to deal with what could happen and all of the issues that go along with having him as a guest. Especially after the few shows he actually did decide to show up at in 2016 (which were major, major issues for his "sobriety"). He's a HUGE risk management issue, even as a "guest " (it's not like he just happened to show up, each appearance was carefully planned far in advance) and it's a business after all.

Edited by blonde
identifying details.

30 minutes ago, blonde said:

He's not insurable for a full tour and as for playing a few guest spots here and there in 2017-he's still a major risk and all of the various legal teams associated with GNR (from each member to sponsorship brands to the venues themselves, etc.) don't want to deal with what could happen and all of the issues that go along with having him as a guest. Especially after the few shows he actually did decide to show up at in 2016 (which were major, major issues for his "sobriety"). He's a HUGE risk management issue, even as a "guest " (it's not like he just happened to show up, each appearance was carefully planned far in advance) and it's a business after all.

He couldn't even handle being a guest. He showed up at a show he wasn't supposed to play, they let him play anyway, and then he complained he didn't get to play enough! 

7 hours ago, Modano09 said:

He couldn't even handle being a guest. He showed up at a show he wasn't supposed to play, they let him play anyway, and then he complained he didn't get to play enough! 

It is his band!! He can show up at any show he desires. Axl and Slosh should have as much right to 'let him play' as they have a right to play themselves.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is his band!! He can show up at any show he desires. Axl and Slosh should have as much right to 'let him play' as they have a right to play themselves.

You are talking about moral right here, yes? Because Steven has absolutely no legal right to just show up and play, just like Dj can't do that either.

I would also disagree with Steven having som moral right to be able to play with GN'R whenever he wants. That is cute.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

You are talking about moral right here, yes? Because Steven has absolutely no legal right to just show up and play, just like Dj can't do that either.

I would also disagree with Steven having som moral right to be able to play with GN'R whenever he wants. That is cute.

Go back to your petri dishes of sperm.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Go back to your petri dishes of sperm.

You are about as confused regarding my profession as you are about GN'R. "Petri dishes of sperm"? :lol: Why would anyone even have that? (Not asking you, Diesel, I know you are not comfortable with science, facts and stuff.)

Steven should be happy he got the closure he has so pathetically craved and cried about ever since he was fired from GN'R. This is as good as it gets and he should acknowledge that and move on. So should his fans who can't get over that his drug addiction ruined what could have been a great career. He will forever go down in history as the drummer who elevated AFD with his fantastic groove. That should be enough for us all.

24 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

So much distasteful drivel in this thread...

Popcorn = Legend

About 3 years ago, I blasted AFD straight through for the first time in a while. I somehow got a whole new appreciate for exactly what Adler brought to the band through that one listen. Ever since, I've pretty much clammed up regarding his place in the bands history.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You are about as confused regarding my profession as you are about GN'R. "Petri dishes of sperm"? :lol: Why would anyone even have that? (Not asking you, Diesel, I know you are not comfortable with science, facts and stuff.)

Steven should be happy he got the closure he has so pathetically craved and cried about ever since he was fired from GN'R. This is as good as it gets and he should acknowledge that and move on. So should his fans who can't get over that his drug addiction ruined what could have been a great career. He will forever go down in history as the drummer who elevated AFD with his fantastic groove. That should be enough for us all.

Didn't I hector you on Grieg? You are Norwegian and hadn't heard of the chap!! This is what science does to you.

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

izzy and adler are right - true gnr was them 5 - axl should've chained adler to a hospital bed for a couple months and given him the choice right there GNR or OUT 

Sadly, I think Axl pretty much did all but chain Steven to a bed.  If being issued with a contract that basically says GNR or drugs - please choose - doesn't make you wake up and take stock of your life, what would?  Even near death experiences weren't enough.  It's sad and a waste of talent.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Didn't I hector you on Grieg? You are Norwegian and hadn't heard of the chap!! This is what science does to you.

I haven't heard about Grieg? Uhm, you are either kidding or mistaking me for someone else. I recently read up on Peer Gynt to have some anecdotes about a mountain area where I guided a group. I know Grieg. But what has this got to do with the topic at hand?

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I haven't heard about Grieg? Uhm, you are either kidding or mistaking me for someone else. I recently read up on Peer Gynt to have some anecdotes about a mountain area where I guided a group. I know Grieg. But what has this got to do with the topic at hand?

I'm sure we had that conversation.

The topic at hand is as dull as dishwater. Grieg is more interesting than Adler and gnr's general ''we will not release an album'' tedium.

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

izzy and adler are right - true gnr was them 5 - axl should've chained adler to a hospital bed for a couple months and given him the choice right there GNR or OUT 

We don't need Izzy and Steven to tell us what's right. WE ALL KNOW that AFD5 is the ONLY GNR that has the magic.

All the rest, as partially pleasant as it might be to some, it's not the fucking same. And just NOT EVER as good as 1987's.

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Sadly, I think Axl pretty much did all but chain Steven to a bed.  If being issued with a contract that basically says GNR or drugs - please choose - doesn't make you wake up and take stock of your life, what would?  Even near death experiences weren't enough.  It's sad and a waste of talent.

I suspect that's the worst possible approach to help a drug addict. Issue him an ultimatum while not entirely in his faculties...? Eh. 

Edited by AncientEvil80

adler would've ruled on UYI thats why civil war is the best tune on there 

i actually think adler could've developped into a john bonhamesque drummer with the long achille last stand numbers and the result would've been great 

those deep YUI cuts where he's on locomotive and don't damn me are unreal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientEvil80 said:

We don't need Izzy and Steven to tell us what's right. WE ALL KNOW that AFD5 is the ONLY GNR that has the magic.

All the rest, as partially pleasant as it might be to some, it's not the fucking same. And just NOT EVER as good as 1987's.

I suspect that's the worst possible approach to help a drug addict. Issue him an ultimatum while not entirely in his faculties...? Eh. 

Yeah, you're probably right. I can't imagine the Guns guys back then would have been equipped to deal with a drug addict/s, they weren't even good at communicating amongst themselves at the best of times.  And then Axl starts shoving contracts around...he sure likes his contracts not that they've done him any good.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

About 3 years ago, I blasted AFD straight through for the first time in a while. I somehow got a whole new appreciate for exactly what Adler brought to the band through that one listen. Ever since, I've pretty much clammed up regarding his place in the bands history.

The whole band back then while not "masters" at their craft were just so perfect for each other.  

I still hear some of that magic from him today in the few appearances he did this tour and the HOF and stuff.

• Like 1