What happened to Steven Adler?

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm sure we had that conversation.

The topic at hand is as dull as dishwater. Grieg is more interesting than Adler and gnr's general ''we will not release an album'' tedium.

Then why are you posting here? Nothing better to do with your life than disrupt threads you find dull? And you are wrong, I have known about Grieg since I was a little kid.

On topic: The question is not really what happened to Steven (he was obviously not allowed to play more songs, and you can pick various reasonable reasons for that), but what he will do now with his life? Can he let it go? Can he move on to new projects? Was he paid enough to enable his destructive lifestyle for more years?

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Then why are you posting here? Nothing better to do with your life than disrupt threads you find dull? And you are wrong, I have known about Grieg since I was a little kid.

On topic: The question is not really what happened to Steven (he was obviously not allowed to play more songs, and you can pick various reasonable reasons for that), but what he will do now with his life? Can he let it go? Can he move on to new projects? Was he paid enough to enable his destructive lifestyle for more years?

Sperms in petri dishes

18 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, you're probably right. I can't imagine the Guns guys back then would have been equipped to deal with a drug addict/s, they weren't even good at communicating amongst themselves at the best of times.  And then Axl starts shoving contracts around...he sure likes his contracts not that they've done him any good.

Yep, all good points.

Sure, they were all under extreme pressures back then, sudden mega success is never a healthy process.

In hindsight, it's quite clear the whole situation with Steven (and then Izzy) was dealt in the worst possible way. Issuing threats, ultimatums, forcing contracts... just the opposite of what this band of 5 guys stood for and represented in their genesis. 

I think the GNR "Big 3" missed their chance to prove everybody wrong and get best remembered members of "original band" (1986 - 1993) on the road, even for a few weeks.

Sure Stephen and Izzy were a risk, but that is part of the rock n roll folklore of the band  that millions of us were drawn to in our youth and would have been a huge draw for the audience, even bigger than we have now.

I for one would have gone just to watch this insanely fragile group of old rockers to see can they play the sound track of my life again.

Matt would have been as steady as Slash or Duff anyway so no problem there. Robin could be on stage as 3rd guitar player, Izzy was used to him anyway.

So...what's the worst thing that could have happened?

Stephen melts down and Izzy goes missing - Matt finishes the tour and Robin steps forward from 3rd guitarist spot to 2nd. 

No fucking drama.

The thing is, I bet Stephen would have stayed straight, I think he had it in him...which means him, Matt and Izzy would need to be paid millions between them if they played for the entire tour. 

Why do that when you can just be corporate minded and bring in session guys to pad out the sound while 3 of you make insane amounts of money without any risk? 

Their logic is flawless but the decision is souless and for some dumb reason I had hoped they lived somewhere beyond that.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Intercourse said:

I think the GNR "Big 3" missed their chance to prove everybody wrong and get best remembered members of "original band" (1986 - 1993) on the road, even for a few weeks.

Sure Stephen and Izzy were a risk, but that is part of the rock n roll folklore of the band  that millions of us were drawn to in our youth and would have been a huge draw for the audience, even bigger than we have now.

I for one would have gone just to watch this insanely fragile group of old rockers to see can they play the sound track of my life again.

Matt would have been as steady as Slash or Duff anyway so no problem there. Robin could be on stage as 3rd guitar player, Izzy was used to him anyway.

So...what's the worst thing that could have happened?

Stephen melts down and Izzy goes missing - Matt finishes the tour and Robin steps forward from 3rd guitarist spot to 2nd. 

No fucking drama.

The thing is, I bet Stephen would have stayed straight, I think he had it in him...which means him, Matt and Izzy would need to be paid millions between them if they played for the entire tour. 

Why do that when you can just be corporate minded and bring in session guys to pad out the sound while 3 of you make insane amounts of money without any risk? 

Their logic is flawless but the decision is souless and for some dumb reason I had hoped they lived somewhere beyond that.

THIS x2billion

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Intercourse said:

Sure Stephen and Izzy were a risk, but that is part of the rock n roll folklore of the band  that millions of us were drawn to in our youth...

Their logic is flawless but the decision is soulless and for some dumb reason I had hoped they lived somewhere beyond that.

Your last line is one of the most well-crafted sentences that I have ever read here...

Bravo!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gunners fan said:

No way that pathetic marble mouthed junkie would have lasted 2 weeks on tour.....or that self-graciating Izzy. Take the share Slash, Axl, Duff...you worked hard. 

You got it backwards my friend. If Steven has one reason to stay straight in his life it would be to play in gnr again. Not the other way around. On top of that, people seem to forget, he NEVER could not not play. Even while fucked up he delivered full shows, there is no basis to that he wouldn't last on tour argument. AT ALL. Not in 1988, and not in 2011 on the loaded tour, both on which he was hammered, did he not not finish any shows.

This bias and just straight up assuming things without any prior evidence like this is ridiculous. And as time has proven, assuming things and theorizing "no way will.." is useless. People thought this tour would explode within 5 days. Didn't go that fucking way.

And somehow wanting to portray Izzy, the guy who got his shit together first in this fucked up band as the asshole is also great. Izzy and Steven are not the reason we didn't get the full reunion.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 9/10/2017 at 4:05 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

What I know is there's some real judgmental assholes around here..what kind of troglodyte level reply is that? I have to literally copy what I responded to this garbage earlier - in the history of GNR, Steven never fucked up a show. Not even when he was on heroin and coke on the AfD tour. Not once. You are literally talking out your ass with this. But not sure repeating this is any useful since you just straight up ignored that earlier.

Just like the people who assumed this tour would explode within days, but those actually had a basis for the argument unlike what you claim because of Axl's and Slashs spoiled relationship. You don't even have any show you can refer to to support your dumb assumption. Steven never even missed a show, apart from when he broke his hand. Which had nothing to do with drugs. But people choose to ignore this because it fits their one dimensional viewing perspective - so great.

Steven would take playing in GNR over unlimited model pussy and a never ending supply of coke, yes he will fuck up what he's been waiting for for 26 years within days, after never having done it before - LOL. Incredible logic.

And incredible posts on this forum.

SITT raises a brilliant point in this post - Stephen never dropped a gig..whereas Mr. Rose?? 

Its a bit rich hammering Stephen when he had nothing to do with 25 years of lost opportunities in GNR. 

Stephen was travelling to the GNR gigs with his entire family, that tells me he is now serious about being straight.

I cannot understand why people would actively NOT want the original AFD band to reunite. 

What's wrong with the genuine article?

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

On 10.9.2017 at 5:05 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

What I know is there's some real judgmental assholes around here..what kind of troglodyte level reply is that? I have to literally copy what I responded to this garbage earlier - in the history of GNR, Steven never fucked up a show. Not even when he was on heroin and coke on the AfD tour. Not once. You are literally talking out your ass with this. But not sure repeating this is any useful since you just straight up ignored that earlier.

Just like the people who assumed this tour would explode within days, but those actually had a basis for the argument unlike what you claim because of Axl's and Slashs spoiled relationship. You don't even have any show you can refer to to support your dumb assumption. Steven never even missed a show, apart from when he broke his hand. Which had nothing to do with drugs. But people choose to ignore this because it fits their one dimensional viewing perspective - so great.

Steven would take playing in GNR over unlimited model pussy and a never ending supply of coke, yes he will fuck up what he's been waiting for for 26 years within days, after never having done it before - LOL. Incredible logic.

And incredible posts on this forum.

Yes, Steven seemed reliable enough back in the day. But apparently he was less reliable when he got kicked out of the band (maybe his drug problem escalated?). At least if you are to believe Slash and Duff.

Whether he is reliable today, is a different question alltogether.

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, Steven seemed reliable enough back in the day. But apparently he was less reliable when he got kicked out of the band (maybe his drug problem escalated?). At least if you are to believe Slash and Duff.

Whether he is reliable today, is a different question alltogether.

If Slash is to be believed, he couldn't play in the studio at a time when it was crucial and they absolutely didn't want to waste any more time so they had to let him go. That was the one time he wasn't able to play well, and people think that one thing is enough to believe he wouldn't ever be able to reliably play ever again? Doesn't that boggle the mind how ridiculous that reasoning is? 

He wasn't reliable when he absolutely needed to, and he only has himself to blame for that of course. But he was good enough to always play the shows and show up. So I find it ridiculous to think he wouldn't last. Even if he relapsed he would be capable of playing, he always was able to do that. But of course that is moot nowadays because as you said that was a long time ago and things today are different, and every band member is a different person.

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

If Slash is to be believed, he couldn't play in the studio at a time when it was crucial and they absolutely didn't want to waste any more time so they had to let him go. That was the one time he wasn't able to play well, and people think that one thing is enough to believe he wouldn't ever be able to reliably play ever again? Doesn't that boggle the mind how ridiculous that reasoning is? 

He wasn't reliable when he absolutely needed to, and he only has himself to blame for that of course. But he was good enough to always play the shows and show up. So I find it ridiculous to think he wouldn't last. Even if he relapsed he would be capable of playing, he always was able to do that. But of course that is moot nowadays because as you said that was a long time ago and things today are different, and every band member is a different person.

It is hard to say. I like to think that the decision to kick Steven out of the band was based on an assessment on his overall shape at the time, and not only on him failing to keep time on the Civil War recordings. I would think he was in a deteriorating state and they realized that he had become a liability both for recording a new album and for touring. For us it is hard to say. It's Steven's words against theirs. But I believe Slash and Duff on this because I see no reasons why they would want Steven out if he was fit, his drums was important and they, especially Slash and Steven, were old friends, and because we know how messed up Steven can be.

• Like 1

Is Steven deemed reliable now? I thought he'd been canceling tours over the decades and checking in and out rehab quite a few times? Of course he wasn't fired just because he couldn't play Civil War right. It's funny how history is twisted. Back in the day, no one doubted Steven was a train wreck and not able to do UYI.

I'm not hating on him at all, and I hope he is clean and stays clean now, I genuinely do, but I for one find it mindboggling how people would now seemingly argue Steven was fired for one slight mishap and act as if they know beyond a doubt Steven is 100% reliable now when they can't really know that at all.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lio said:

Is Steven deemed reliable now? I thought he'd been canceling tours over the decades and checking in and out rehab quite a few times? Of course he wasn't fired just because he couldn't play Civil War right. It's funny how history is twisted. Back in the day, no one doubted Steven was a train wreck and not able to do UYI.

I'm not hating on him at all, and I hope he is clean and stays clean now, I genuinely do, but I for one find it mindboggling how people would now seemingly argue Steven was fired for one slight mishap and act as if they know beyond a doubt Steven is 100% reliable now when they can't really know that at all.

People also argue and act as if they know beyond a doubt that Steven is 100% unreliable. Im arguing the other side of that because of what history has shown us, and that is that he always was able to play even when not sober. The bottom line is that he is a different guy just like all other band members now, and not giving him a chance to prove himself at all is wrong and fucked up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

People also argue and act as if they know beyond a doubt

Man this is so true!!!! And not only in the Adler case...As we have no official clarifications from the band about the events that happen behind the scenes on their private lifes ... We create our own facts and take them as absolute truth.

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

People also argue and act as if they know beyond a doubt that Steven is 100% unreliable. Im arguing the other side of that because of what history has shown us, and that is that he always was able to play even when not sober. The bottom line is that he is a different guy just like all other band members now, and not giving him a chance to prove himself at all is wrong and fucked up.

Well he hasn't been reliable in almost 30 years and when last he was given an opportunity to tour with Duff in 2013 he went off on a bender. So at the very least, if he is reliable today, he hasn't been reliable long enough for anyone to trust him with a tour like this. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 9:17 PM, Modano09 said:

Exactly. It's easy for people who don't have their comeback/career/money riding on Steven Adler to say Steven Adler has to be there. Nobody in the right mind would put a tour of this magnitude in Adler's hands. The guest spots were nice, but, true to forum, that wasn't enough for him. He shows up at shows he's not scheduled to play, expecting to play, he complains in interviews about not getting to play enough. Whatever the motivation or arrangement, it feels like Axl/Duff/Slash are all on the same page and know what they're doing and where this is going, and Alder doesn't seem like the kind of guy that could just go with the plan. 

Im sorry but i never in my life seen someone like Steven Adler who wants to play their instrument so badly with a band he helped make huge...only for that said band to do a half ass reunion and treat him like dog shit wrapped in cat shit yet he still thanks them...regardless of what Steven did in the past it is so much easier to forgive...IMO steven seems to have such a great outgoing fun personality who seems to enjoy playing the drums more than ever...why they cant just bring him back and let him play is beyond me...cos that is clearly all the guy wants to do is play!

as for steven being unreliable or whatever else anyone thinks as to why he cant be givin a full chance at a tour ...umm perhaps you all forgot the uyi tours when axl would "maybe" show up or maybe not or maybe he would come on stage and leave for a tantrum halfway through..yet everyone seems to have forgiven him for that..right?

28 minutes ago, Bassist4 said:

...umm perhaps you all forgot the uyi tours when axl would "maybe" show up or maybe not or maybe he would come on stage and leave for a tantrum halfway through..yet everyone seems to have forgiven him for that..right?

Not only uyi tour but if I remember correctly he was doing that till around 2010

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Well he hasn't been reliable in almost 30 years and when last he was given an opportunity to tour with Duff in 2013 he went off on a bender. So at the very least, if he is reliable today, he hasn't been reliable long enough for anyone to trust him with a tour like this. 

He is a liability, for sure. But he's also integral to the sound of the band as per most rock critics and at least one member (Izzy) saw it that way as well. It would also have made the fans happy to see him.

I'm sure the guys had their reasons for what they did to Adler (none of which are flattering for them) but there is something about this story that isn't adding up here. Let's look at the facts:

1. Steven Adler says that as per his understanding, he was going to be a permanent fixture on the tour and play all of AFD, LIES and most of UYI where he would share duties with Frank. This is largely backed up by Duff and Axl. - This just blows my mind really. That they would consider and give him the opportunity to participate to that extent on a multi-million dollar tour. Call me a cynic, but this seems extremely hard to believe. It seems almost like they were toying with the idea but that they would never in all seriousness go through with it (see #2).

2. Adler throws out his back during the NITL rehearsals, and comes back a month later healed up and ready to roll. Everything has changed now. Duff informs him that he will no longer be playing in the band under any capacity. The assumption here is that this is an Axl decision with approval from Slash. Somewhere in that month they decide to completely overhaul the idea of Steven playing the material. That seems awfully sudden for such a huge tour where the moving pieces are assembled at least a year in advance if not more. This speaks poorly of the way the band is run if they made such an important decision in such a short amount of time. Any other normal band would have worked it out with Adler, especially since he was medically fit and had been rehearsing the material on his own for the last 2 years (including chinese democracy songs). So they go with Frank, who as per Fortus, struggled to gel with Duff and Slash.

3. Adler makes nice with Duff by making a conciliatory phone call and subsequently gets thrown a few bones w/ 5 cameo appearances on the North American leg. 2 of the lesser songs on AFD - not even the most famous songs of Appetite, which his drumming is a key part of. Seems like a half-hearted gesture at best. Upon completion of said drumming duties without incident and handling it graciously (and keeping his mouth shut in the press) - he is given a chance to play in Argentina for one show.

4. Adler (mistakenly) figures that since him and the guys go back so far, he can take the liberty of dropping in on a show and drum on a song for fun. After all, guest stars drop in all the time for impromptu performances at shows. Shouldn't be a big deal. This was a miscalculation.The band (Axl) does not see it this way and proceeds to humiliate Adler by splitting his two songs into one song at each show - ending with shutting off the sound to his drums. Neither party looks good in this situation. It would not be a big deal for Slash to step in and say, "Hey Frank, can we let Steven play a couple songs here? He just flew thousands of miles to be here and support us." They don't do that. Axl reportedly even says, "What the fuck is he doing here." It's clear that Steven is neither well liked nor respected by Axl, Duff and Slash, based on these actions. 

5. Adler is informed that he has to choose only one international show that he can be part of. He says thanks but no thanks and bows out. Continues to maintain radio silence re: GnR with the press. 

Something doesn't add up here. Seems to me like the band were looking for excuses to shut him out of the reunion and he gave them what they were looking for. I don't really think he actually had a chance of playing this tour to the end even if he was playing by their rules. Nothing about the above scenario gives me that impression. If anything, it just seems like a half-hearted way to appease Live Nation who probably pushed for a full reunion to maximize profits. Now they can say, "You see, we told you he was unreliable and as we predicted, he threw out his back during rehearsals. Can we depend on him for this huge tour?"

Same story with Izzy - offer him a pittance and see if he bites. When he doesn't, they just turn to Live Nation and say "See, we did our best and reached out to him but we told you he wouldn't agree to join the tour. He wants a cut of the touring profits and just like Steven, he's not dependable either.

Frank has been and continues to get criticized consistently by fans and critics who have been to the show as a major liability to the sound of the band. Hmmm...seems to me like they could have given Adler a shot and probably gotten better feedback from the fans and critics. And if Adler screwed up, Axl would have had Frank to take over anyway. :shrugs:

I don't think Axl wants Steven and Izzy in the band any more. That seems obvious to me. I don't think he sees them as people who are accomplished enough to join the band now. He probably sees them as relics of the past who are irrelevant musically. Frank and Fortus are there because Axl believes that GnR in this incarnation is the right lineup for this era. That's why if we ever get any new music, it will be with this lineup. I don't think this is just a touring lineup - this is the actual lineup now. 

Edited by RONIN
  • GNFNR 1