Rare Slash Interview from 2000 (Dutch Radio Station)

18 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I never understood why Velvet Revolver never asked one of the two Snakepit singers to join seeing as they had so much trouble finding a singer in the first place. They are both way better than Scott.

All I can think is it must be a rare thing to find a singer that ticks all the musical and performance boxes plus gels with everyone in the right way.  Even though I think Rod Jackson was one of the best vocalists Slash worked with (besides Chris Cornell and Andrew Stockdale), I always got the impression from watching the live performances that they never had much personal chemistry.  So maybe it was a case of when he parted ways with his singers, everyone just knew that was the end of it.

I think Scott was a sensational vocalist, but obviously a lot of trouble to work with.

Thanks Sid, for posting that!  Really interesting.  Slash sounded annoyed the entire time with the technology glitches. :lol:

33 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I never understood why Velvet Revolver never asked one of the two Snakepit singers to join seeing as they had so much trouble finding a singer in the first place. They are both way better than Scott.

You are kidding right? I love Rod Jackson. One of the best rock n roll voices I've ever heard but the guy is a hardcore drug addict.  If he was clean they might've been able to achieve some success but no where near the level they did with Scott.

i won't even comment on Backup singer Dover

46 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Probably because VR was an ambitious project and they wanted to do something relevant and successful, so they opted for an established name/singer with personality; also Scott was someone who could add a different, more "modern" element to their sound.

But I don't think the Snakepit singers were better. Rod Jackson was different, and, as for Eric Dover, I don't like him at all.

Edited by Blackstar

18 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

You are kidding right? I love Rod Jackson. One of the best rock n roll voices I've ever heard but the guy is a hardcore drug addict.  If he was clean they might've been able to achieve some success but no where near the level they did with Scott.

I didn't know that, how sad. I adored his singing especially on Back to the Moment.  What a shame, waste of talent.

Too bad the whole Snakepit mk II line up and period was a total drugged out mess because Slash hasn't made music as good as this since then.

Seriously, Just Like Anything, Serial Killer, The Alien, Rusted Heroes, Ain't Life Grand. Killer tracks!

• Thanks 1

I don't know about their personal stuff, maybe Slash had his reasons not to work with them again. And this is subjective again, I guess, but come on... not saying Scott isn't a good singer but he was not nearly as good of a rock singer as Eric and Rod.

It's always stood out to me and its touched on in this interview too.  Slash talks about playing basic, down and dirty rock with out electronic touches.  However, Ain't Life Grand not only has electronic touches; its also really experimental.  It has rap.  It has character songs with movie style productions to create 'scenery.'  

Whats up with that?

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I don't know about their personal stuff, maybe Slash had his reasons not to work with them again. And this is subjective again, I guess, but come on... not saying Scott isn't a good singer but he was not nearly as good of a rock singer as Eric and Rod.

It's a matter of preference. It would be like saying the Snakepit guys are better singers than Elvis and Jim Morrison. 

Ask 10,000 people who grew up in the 90s who the better singer is Scott or The Snakepit guys and 9,990 will say Scott. 

Actually few would even know what we are talking about 

55 minutes ago, soon said:

It's always stood out to me and its touched on in this interview too.  Slash talks about playing basic, down and dirty rock with out electronic touches.  However, Ain't Life Grand not only has electronic touches; its also really experimental.  It has rap.  It has character songs with movie style productions to create 'scenery.'  

Whats up with that?

Rasp isn't experiment.

Slash has stated multiple times over the years that experimentation wasn't why he left. He left because of his beef with Management, record label, Axl, Tobias etc. 

He says it in this very interview where they are stoned beyond belief. 

Now in 2017 a more mature Slash will tell you Axl Management, especially Doug Goldstein, was the main culprit in trying to divide and conquer what was left of GNR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

It's a matter of preference. It would be like saying the Snakepit guys are better singers than Elvis and Jim Morrison. 

Ask 10,000 people who grew up in the 90s who the better singer is Scott or The Snakepit guys and 9,990 will say Scott. 

Actually few would even know what we are talking about 

Of course it's a matter of preference. I personally like Rod and Eric's voice more than Scott's, they have more a rock voice and Rod even has a lot of soul, he'd be my favourite out of the three of them. But if you go to a singing teacher and asked them objectively who the better singer is, Rod or Scott, I'm sure they will pick Rod. It's like the Axl-Freddie thread, you can't argue about who you prefer, but it's obvious Freddie had technically a 'better' singing voice.

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Of course it's a matter of preference. I personally like Rod and Eric's voice more than Scott's, they have more a rock voice and Rod even has a lot of soul, he'd be my favourite out of the three of them. But if you go to a singing teacher and asked them objectively who the better singer is, Rod or Scott, I'm sure they will pick Rod. It's like the Axl-Freddie thread, you can't argue about who you prefer, but it's obvious Freddie had technically a 'better' singing voice.

No man I've dealt with voice coaches most of my life. Singing Rock N' Roll and even pop music is the devil to them. Sing to them with rasp and they will immediately call paramedics. 

The proper way to sing is more like Opera. Everything else is subjective and personal taste.

If you played Back to the moment andYGNR/Wonderful to a voice instructor and forced them to pick one. They would surely go with Scott. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

No man I've dealt with voice coaches most of my life. Singing Rock N' Roll and even pop music is the devil to them. Sing to them with rasp and they will immediately call paramedics. 

The proper way to sing is more like Opera. Everything else is subjective and personal taste 

Nah, maybe when you go to a very old classical vocal coach, but there are lot of modern singing teachers and vocal coaches, in my country there is even a rock university.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Rasp isn't experiment.

Slash has stated multiple times over the years that experimentation wasn't why he left. He left because of his beef with Management, record label, Axl, Tobias etc. 

He says it in this very interview where they are stoned beyond belief. 

Now in 2017 a more mature Slash will tell you Axl Management, especially Doug Goldstein, was the main culprit in trying to divide and conquer what was left of GNR.

Im confused by your response.

First, I said rap. Not rasp.  Rap is experimenting.

But mostly, I need to point out how I never said anything about why Slash left GnR.  

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Holy shit, I have never heard that first song before and that performance was awesome!! Wow. Can someone crop that?  I love this forum... 

here, mate!

enjoy

https://instaud.io/1emr

right-click on the "download" button so you should have no problems to download it

:headbang:

===

not sure if you know how to do it, its pretty easy, i just used these:

(there are several other sites to do the same thing)

https://anything2mp3.com/

(just copy and paste the youtube URL and it makes a downloadable mp3 file for you)

http://mp3cut.net

(open the mp3 file from your computer and cut the part you want, then it provides you an easy download link)

https://instaud.io/

(i used it tp upload the file. right-click on the "download" button so you can download it)

6 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

never cared for the guy but it is obvious he has a somewhat good voice.

on these acoustic numbers it sounds muche better than on the album, which i find unlistenable because of rod's voice

what looks really bad in this interview is that he sounds like a 16-year old talking to his 16-year old drug buddies

"hey, this song is about drugs! hey, all of you druggies, i will be back in la soon" and bla bla bla

one thing i really like about GNR is that despite all of them being somewhat junkies at one point or another none of the guys ever did this juvenile drug-bragging bullshit

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Awesome thanks!  Is this the studio track?

Color me surprised that you didn't know about this track, Tom. I know you're a big fan of most of SLASH's previous work as am I. Like a lot of CD's back then, the Japanese version contained a few bonus tracks. I worked in a music store til '99 and used to collect stuff like this. The import also contained "Rusted Heroes" and a couple others. There's some info about it here: http://www.slashparadise.com/discography/albums-slash-snakepit-2000-aint-life-grand.php

41 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

here, mate!

enjoy

https://instaud.io/1emr

right-click on the "download" button so you should have no problems to download it

:headbang:

===

not sure if you know how to do it, its pretty easy, i just used these:

(there are several other sites to do the same thing)

https://anything2mp3.com/

(just copy and paste the youtube URL and it makes a downloadable mp3 file for you)

http://mp3cut.net

(open the mp3 file from your computer and cut the part you want, then it provides you an easy download link)

https://instaud.io/

(i used it tp upload the file. right-click on the "download" button so you can download it)

Thanks man!!!!