Axl's microphone

He always throw it from "above the head"; i remember once a fan was hit from the mic and had a slight cut. I think around this time he throw the mic from below (from the hip). Nowadays it could be a problem to throw the mic in the crowd - but it is a trademark from Axl - so maybe he has to change the mic in the end to a more lighter one due to security reasons (maybe there is fear that a fan can sue him).

And we know what happend if someone sues Axl :max:.....

in former times also tennis players throw their racket into the crowd - eg when the win. Dont know if that still hapens today - i dont think so...

Edited by GNR78

I wouldn't entirely be surprised, IIRC Shure created a unique model for him, a tweaked version of one they already sell. They're not actually that expensive though. On the other hand it looks like he wasn't expecting to be handed another mic.

I would have suggested that maybe he has some set "throwaway" microphones for the end (like Paul Stanley from KISS - he has cheaper guitars that he'll switch to at the end of the show to smash). In this case he doesn't even actively grab for it until he realizes he's being handed one so maybe it was as simple as his tech realizing the battery was dead in that particular microphone or some other technical glitch. 

9 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I would have suggested that maybe he has some set "throwaway" microphones for the end (like Paul Stanley from KISS - he has cheaper guitars that he'll switch to at the end of the show to smash). In this case he doesn't even actively grab for it until he realizes he's being handed one so maybe it was as simple as his tech realizing the battery was dead in that particular microphone or some other technical glitch. 

This is my guess.

Paul Stanley sells "smashed on stage" guitars :lol: but he has his custom line he sells on the "Kruises" along with Gene's axe bass. But if someone is going to buy a KISS-related guitar, it's going to be one Ace is endorsing. 

Axl's had a long history with Shure mics so he's either getting them at bulk discount or free. He probably uses more than one mic during the show. 

4 hours ago, GNR78 said:

He always throw it from "above the head"; i remember once a fan was hit from the mic and had a slight cut. I think around this time he throw the mic from below (from the hip). Nowadays it could be a problem to throw the mic in the crowd - but it is a trademark from Axl - so maybe he has to change the mic in the end to a more lighter one due to security reasons (maybe there is fear that a fan can sue him).

And we know what happend if someone sues Axl :max:.....

in former times also tennis players throw their racket into the crowd - eg when the win. Dont know if that still hapens today - i dont think so...

Actually this has already heappened..An australian fan was hit by Axl´s mic in 2013.

http://tonedeaf.com.au/aussie-fan-to-sue-axl-rose-after-microphone-hit-to-the-mouth/

14w3ga8.jpg

8 minutes ago, craiggunslover said:

I caught axl's mic in 2013 at metropolis in montreal in a small club, sold it for 6 grand on ebay afew years later ..I regret it now abit  that they reunioned 

I can't belive it sold that high! Does his mic have any particular markings on it so you know it's his?

1 hour ago, craiggunslover said:

If you look at all the performances since early 2000's the head part is red and the handle part is black other than that the guy had to trust me it was real which it was

$6,000 is a lot of trust haha but good for you! I always wondered if he had custom branding though 

Guaranteed the reason has NOTHING to do with saving money. Of all the extravagant things Axl does, there is no way he gives a flying fuck about saving what could amount to a few hundred bucks on a microphone. :lol:  What the actual reason is though I don't know but yeah there's no way it's to save a few bucks. 

9 hours ago, Bono said:

Guaranteed the reason has NOTHING to do with saving money. Of all the extravagant things Axl does, there is no way he gives a flying fuck about saving what could amount to a few hundred bucks on a microphone. :lol:  What the actual reason is though I don't know but yeah there's no way it's to save a few bucks. 

Agree 100%.  They could save a few hundred bucks on a ton of other things.  There is no way they give a crap about the cost of a microphone when the dates are grossing around $3 million a show.  I'm sure there is some reason.  My best guess is that the non-thrown mics are set up with some kind of wireless security that is different from the one he throws.  That way, somebody can't bring a mic they caught to another show and start singing or talking into it and have it end up over the PA (or interfering with Axl).  If this is the reason then I guess somebody could sing along with the very end of PC.  I'm just guessing here as I have no idea what kind of encryption is used on a wireless mic.  If it is analog, then my theory makes even more sense because there is no analog wireless security and the "normal" mic would be on a completely different frequency than the thrown mic.

I thought it was common (to people on this forum) that Axl switches his mic before/during Paradise City so he throws one that he has not been using for the whole concert. I definitely remember reading that somewhere and I'm pretty sure it was on here

5 hours ago, Jadeder said:

I thought it was common (to people on this forum) that Axl switches his mic before/during Paradise City so he throws one that he has not been using for the whole concert. I definitely remember reading that somewhere and I'm pretty sure it was on here

Even though it would be "cool" to have the one he used the whole concert, I'd imagine the wind screen on his full time mic is probably pretty nasty!