Axl Rose Vs Kurt Cobain: Famous Feuds tv show

They somehow got 2001 Axl to play Axl in this. Basically it paints Axl as a huge Nirvana fan and Kurt as an asshole who wouldn't stop comparing his band to Axl's. And also wouldn't stop attacking Axl. They use a couple interviews from Kurt to show his hatred towards Axl, they use some terrible actors to show what Axl said in Orlando in 92. Then they reenact the VMA scene...apparently Duff was a badass about to kill everyone including baby Bean,  They never correct which piano Kurt spit on. 

Steven Adler is apparently Matt Sorum now. The show goes all the way to 2010 when Duff apologizes for his role and when Axl gets the chair from Dave last year. But they show a picture of Axl with AC/DC not GNR and he's not even in the chair.

overall they made the feud seem lamer than it was (or maybe they got that right) haha but it was funny to watch. Surprisingly they didn't rip Axl too hard and instead focused on Kurt being the one that made and kept the feud going 

I haven't watched it but I watched Montage of Heck and it was obvious in that documentary that Kurt Cobain was obsessed with trashing Axl and GNR, as he was with trashing Pearl Jam or anything else that threatened his band's position as the most important and biggest rock band in the world.

It left me with the impression that rather than the counter culture hero he painted himself as, he was just as desperate for fame as all the reality TV stars you see today.

And Dave Grohl is now more middle of the road than all the hair metal bands he used to slag off in his Nirvana days.

Not that it stops me liking Nirvana's music.

4 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

I haven't watched it but I watched Montage of Heck and it was obvious in that documentary that Kurt Cobain was obsessed with trashing Axl and GNR, as he was with trashing Pearl Jam or anything else that threatened his band's position as the most important and biggest rock band in the world.

It left me with the impression that rather than the counter culture hero he painted himself as, he was just as desperate for fame as all the reality TV stars you see today.

Don't exaggerate, so he badmouthed Axl and Pearl Jam a couple of times, doesn't mean he was obsessed. If anything, he was obsessed with drugs and himself. Also, he wanted Nirvana to be successful, but I don't think he wanted the fame. When Nirvana was at the height of their popularity in early to mid 1992 and everyone wanted a piece of them, he stopped touring with Nirvana and crawled away into an apartment to do drugs and paint and hide from the world, if he really wanted fame so much he would have milked it a lot more at that point.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 7:20 PM, EvanG said:

Don't exaggerate, so he badmouthed Axl and Pearl Jam a couple of times, doesn't mean he was obsessed. If anything, he was obsessed with drugs and himself. Also, he wanted Nirvana to be successful, but I don't think he wanted the fame. When Nirvana was at the height of their popularity in early to mid 1992 and everyone wanted a piece of them, he stopped touring with Nirvana and crawled away into an apartment to do drugs and paint and hide from the world, if he really wanted fame so much he would have milked it a lot more at that point.

and of course the liner notes of In Utero weren't directed at GNR either..nah having a pop at another band (and their fans of course because if you like GNR you're a homophobe and a racist) on an actual album release isn't obsessive at all :lol:

Edited by Silverburst80
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

and of course the liner notes of In Utero weren't directed at GNR either..nah having a pop at another band (and their fans of course because if you like GNR you're a homophobe and a racist) on an actual album release isn't obsessive at all :lol:

Had no idea they take a dig at GnR in the In Utero liner notes. 

Kurt always seemed overtly preoccupied with GnR and judging other bands. He had an air of elitist snobbery that clashed with the "no pretension" humble image that he branded Nirvana and himself with. 

A guy who seemed a lot more authentic to me during that time was Eddie Vedder. And Chris Cornell. They let the music do the talking. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 12:40 AM, HuskerTornado said:

Guessing it'll be the typical painting of Axl as the cock rock bad guy, Kurt as the sensitive reluctant star good guy.

Kurt was on drugs and acted like a jerk towards Axl.

I read in Duff's book that he and Kurt were on the same plane coming in from England and they had a nice talk about being a rock star and problems with drugs and anxiety.

Unfortunately, Kurt and Duff got separated by the baggage area and 3 days later Kurt killed himself. Duff wanted to invite Kurt to his home and talk some more, but that never happened.

Kurt had problems and being with Courtney Love probably didn't help him either.

9 minutes ago, tremolo said:

You guys need to take context into consideration.

1991-1992: GNR wereat their peak. They were the most dangerous band in the world. Nirvana were taking over in popularity. Two great bands with a huge following.

Kurt was about 24-25. Axl was what... 26-27? They were kids...old kids/very young adults, both dealing with a HUGE amount of fame that came pretty much overnight, plus their own personal issues and demons.

Kurt was a feminist, with pretty progressive thinking and ideas. Axl was a womanizer, violent, volatile and aggressive. They were pretty much polar opposites in their behaviour/image. Kurt hated what Axl represented and all the cliches of the hard rock scene and its cliches.

Axl's temper made him an easy target for Kurt's quick wit.

Kurt not only said NO to a man that was going on a huge ego trip at the time and surrounding himself with yes-men, he also trashed him in the media.

A lot of guns fans seem to turn a blind eye to all of that and kinda see this feud as something that happened between 2 mature grown-up men, and when you see it that way, of course it's childish and pretty lame. It is the context what made/make this funny.

I like Kurt's quick wit when it came to lampooning Axl but I think two people who did it better were James Hetfield and Mike Patton :lol:

On 10/8/2017 at 2:20 PM, EvanG said:

He had a "I don't want to be like him" or rather "I don't want people to think I'm like him" thing though.

For example, he said he couldn't stand the hustle backstage and didn't feel like speaking to anybody between shows, but because he didn't want to have his own room or tour bus like Axl, he just fell asleep and made up a story that he was narcoleptic.

Axl didn't have a problem with not being like someone else, and since he could afford having his own space, he had it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

Kurt always seemed overtly preoccupied with GnR and judging other bands. He had an air of elitist snobbery that clashed with the "no pretension" humble image that he branded Nirvana and himself with. 

A guy who seemed a lot more authentic to me during that time was Eddie Vedder. And Chris Cornell. They let the music do the talking. 

Yeah i mean he'd brought up One In A Million before and literally said you can't be a fan GNR and Nirvana because of GNR's 'views' several times. So it really doesn't take an einstein to figure out what is said on the album liner notes is another shot at GNR, so when it gets to that point i think it is indeed getting to obsessive levels. Totally agree with all the elitist stuff, they loved branding every band around "corporate" whilst being as corporate as they come themselves, great deflective tactic!...alot of people obviously bought it.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

18 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I have no idea what liner notes you are referring to. Anyway, I'm not one of those ''Cobain is god'' type of people, in case you think that. I liked his music, but he wasn't necessarily the nicest guy all the time. But just because he made fun of GnR, like a lot of bands did at the time, doesn't mean he was obsessed.

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

Out of likes, but totally agree.  It was a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other as to who started the feud, but it was certainly Kurt who sustained it.  

I'll restrain myself from going on a rant about the revisionist history where Nirvana is concerned, but you're spot on about Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell.  

And what tends to be forgotten nowadays is that Pearl Jam were bigger than Nirvana and held in higher esteem pre-Kurt's death.  In fact, Pearl Jam's Vs outsold the underperforming (and not very well received at the time) In Utero, selling close to a million units in 7 days, breaking the original record held by Guns N' Roses for the UYI albums.  Then Kurt died and of course, everything changed.

18 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

And what tends to be forgotten nowadays is that Pearl Jam were bigger than Nirvana and held in higher esteem pre-Kurt's death.  In fact, Pearl Jam's Vs outsold the underperforming (and not very well received at the time) In Utero, selling close to a million units in 7 days, breaking the original record held by Guns N' Roses for the UYI albums.  Then Kurt died and of course, everything changed.

Not in late 1991 and early 1992, but by 1993 Pearl Jam were definitely more popular than Nirvana... they barely even promoted Vs. while Nirvana did a lot of promotion for In Utero, and still Vs. was outselling In Utero. 

http://www.nme.com/news/courtney-love-reveals-pearl-jam-pissed-off-kurt-cobain-1780488

“I remember when Pearl Jam beat Nirvana onto the cover of Time, and that pissed Kurt off, let me tell you.”

On another note, there's some debate as to whether the letter below ever made its way to Krist in March '94, but it means Kurt and Axl would have shared something else in common at that point in carrying on their bands as glorified solo projects.

https://m.imgur.com/utffN68

Kurt lost his way as a human being. He knew that when he shot himself.

2 hours ago, tremolo said:

Difference is Nirvana was always kurt's band. He was the sole songwriter except for a couple songs in In Utero (Scentless Apprentice comes to mind). Nirvana could have happened with Kurt and any other bandmembers, but there is no way it would have happened without him. The same can't be said about GNR, where every member played a vital part and the end product was bigger than the sum of its parts.

Nirvana was Kurt Cobain.

Kurt was definitely the creative force behind Nirvana, but don't underestimate Krist and Dave. I mean, they are actually decent musicians, unlike Kurt, and they brought something to the table, especially Dave's powerful drumming.

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

Oh I don't underestimate them at all. I love Krist's style. Lounge Act and Lithium have amazing bass lines. Dave didn't shine much in Nirvana, I think, mostly because of the unspoken rule of "no drum fills", so the drumming was in general pretty simple, but powerful as a motherfucker, and it was the right style for the band. I really like his drumming in Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through the Strip.

I agree, their music was extremely simplistic, which is what made it work, and that also goes for the drums. But his powerful style definitely lifted the music, I think.