If Fortus got injured, who would they call, Izzy or Gilby?

Bumblefoot would be a great call if the band wanted to continue playing Chinese Democracy songs live, but I doubt he wants anything to do with the band anymore.  Call in Gilby for an Illusions 30th anniversary show.

8 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Bumblefoot would be a great call if the band wanted to continue playing Chinese Democracy songs live, but I doubt he wants anything to do with the band anymore.  Call in Gilby for an Illusions 30th anniversary show.

I actually think Soon brings up a good point. They (or Axl) might infact go and call DJ Ashba, lol. He is familiar with the material and can play the sweep/tap stuff that Fortus does. But in a pinch I'm sure Slash would learn it himself if he had to. He still wants to get better and advance as a player and learn new techniques, but he said before he can't tap to save his life. Now he'd have a reason, to be able to play those CD song parts. He didn't really need it before

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I actually think Soon brings up a good point. They (or Axl) might infact go and call DJ Ashba, lol. He is familiar with the material and can play the sweep/tap stuff that Fortus does. But in a pinch I'm sure Slash would learn it himself if he had to. He still wants to get better and advance as a player and learn new techniques, but he said before he can't tap to save his life. Now he'd have a reason, to be able to play those CD song parts. He didn't really need it before

The only time I've heard Slash try tapping is on his guitar battle music for Guitar Hero, so a lot of solos wouldn't go over too well unless he spent a bit of time practicing new techniques..if anything I'd expect him to make his own variation of certain guitar spots with different techniques, like how he performs the outro solo for There Was a Time without using tapping or killswitch.  Otherwise yeah, Ashba would be the most likely scenario if they needed to call somebody in.

• Like 1

Fortus is the real deal . Really why did the cover band GNR have bumblefoot and the guys that plays for SIXX AM . Richard should have been the main guitar player for the cover band ! The only fault  I have seen with Richard is his ability to write great riffs and lay a foundation for a song , He can  rip solos , riffs others have written , I hope I am  wrong but post them here and I will be more than welcome to say I was wrong , Love to hear his original material 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just feel the need to make clear that I never suggested Dj's return! lol.  But yeah I doubt Axl would ditch that material so it would be interesting to see what theyd do. 

Would be cool if Slash could push himself to step to that material.

I feel disgusted with the simple mention of bumblefoot lol leave this generic sheredder far away from the band, even Slash doing it annoys me.
Leave that disgunting sheredder doin what he does best: Generic music with generic rock/metal dudes.

If Izzys not available, then Gilby'd be cool, if none of'em, just call someone new.

37 minutes ago, default_ said:

I feel disgusted with the simple mention of bumblefoot lol leave this generic sheredder far away from the band, even Slash doing it annoys me.
Leave that disgunting sheredder doin what he does best: Generic music with generic rock/metal dudes.

If Izzys not available, then Gilby'd be cool, if none of'em, just call someone new.

How is he any more of a generic shredder than Fortus? Both also cant write a song worth a damn

3 hours ago, soon said:

I love Gilby, but I don't like to picture him at home trying to learn to tap that bridge lead in Better.  Ive made myself cringe hard, must go relax.

Yeah I just meant you are correct perhaps they wouldnt get either of the 2 because someones gotta do those parts

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How is he any more of a generic shredder than Fortus? Both also cant write a song worth a damn

At least Fortus has some blues/classic rock influences and shows it, while the other is just a generic poppy rocky sheredder. ew.

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

While I agree with the sentiment that DJ would be a probable "in a pinch" choice, I must wholeheartedly disagree that he can sweep and tap. The atrocious pick tapping he used to do doesn't count. Anybody who has been playing guitar for ten minutes can typically figure out how to do that. Sweeping and legitimate tapping? He couldn't even handle the alternate picking on the Jungle intro and cheated his way through that and most of the solos.

Okay I'm calm now. :lol:

• Like 2

On 16/10/2017 at 5:28 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

No he wouldn’t, they offered him a guest spot for the tour and he declined...

No, he just said that he didn't gets call to do the tour. Not a guest spot, or rhythm guitar spot or 3rd guitar etc.

If they asked him to do it he'd drop everything to make it happen. Any person in his position would do the same... But as much as I like Gilby, he's no way near the level of a player that Fortus is. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

No, he just said that he didn't gets call to do the tour. Not a guest spot, or rhythm guitar spot or 3rd guitar etc.

If they asked him to do it he'd drop everything to make it happen. Any person in his position would do the same... But as much as I like Gilby, he's no way near the level of a player that Fortus is. 

I remember him saying he was offered a guest spot in the tour but he declined.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

Rose seemed to have something against Clarke for no apparent reason, flatly refusing to collaborate compositionally with him, putting him through a drawn out dismissal ordeal then demoting him for Live Era's creditation. It is strange as he is an innocuous non-confrontational sort of fella, Clarke, and he did have some excellent songs circa the time Guns were trying to do their next album; 'Cure Me Kill Me' and 'Tijuana Jail' could have been excellent Guns N' Roses songs - they basically already are as they have Slash's sleazy guitar already in place.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I remember him saying he was offered a guest spot in the tour but he declined.

Just read an article about GNRs past guitar players and he said "I could have picked up the phone and tried to make it happen, but I didn't, and it didn't" not his exact words but that's basically what he said when asked if he got asked to come and play with them. That is interesting that he said that though, maybe he was asked?

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rose seemed to have something against Clarke for no apparent reason, flatly refusing to collaborate compositionally with him, putting him through a drawn out dismissal ordeal then demoting him for Live Era's creditation. It is strange as he is an innocuous non-confrontational sort of fella, Clarke, and he did have some excellent songs circa the time Guns were trying to do their next album; 'Cure Me Kill Me' and 'Tijuana Jail' could have been excellent Guns N' Roses songs - they basically already are as they have Slash's sleazy guitar already in place.

I don't know if it was a personal grievance with Gilby, from what I've heard Axl say in regard to Gilby, it was more about Gilbys playing and general feel. Axl is all about the right vibe, and that's the vibe he has in his head for what GNR should or could sound like... "but he hired Frank!!???" well yeh! that's case and point! Axl looks for certain things in music, just like any other musician. One guy might play with a drummer and say "I never want to play with him again, he can't play" the other might say the exact opposite. 

Gilby executed the songs fairly well and was consistent, but he didn't exactly set the songs on fire on fire at the same time, or put his own sound on them, like Richard for example, just listen to how he plays used to love her or You're crazy, the changes are subtle but they add a great groove and new dimension to the songs.

End of the day, I much prefer Richards playing in a live setting than any previous rhythm guitar player in GNR. Unpopular comment or not :P